Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 108463 times)

Offline The Letter M

I've been listening to BBT for the first time in MONTHS (probably since around January back when I was really active in this thread, perhaps that was the last time I really listened to them). I think I'm gearing up for the soon-to-be-released Singles and Live Album coming out in July.

Also, there was a new video released of "Swan Hunter" live at Cadogan Hall from last October in 2017. No word yet, as far as I know, if a live video will be released of the Cadogan shows (from which Merchants Of Light will source its audio tracks from), but at least we get this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKhuTR1e5Xw

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
So I'm listening to The Second Brightest Star for the first time, and wow, it's fantastic. The instrumentation is just really lush and pleasant to listen, and I've always loved David Longdon's voice and melodies. I don't know yet if I like it more than English Electric, but we'll see.

Offline The Letter M

So I'm listening to The Second Brightest Star for the first time, and wow, it's fantastic. The instrumentation is just really lush and pleasant to listen, and I've always loved David Longdon's voice and melodies. I don't know yet if I like it more than English Electric, but we'll see.

TSBS does have some great songs on it, but since I've listened to all of the Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS songs in one huge playlist, I often forget which pieces were from which albums, since they're all sort of one giant meta-album anyway. It still blows my mind that those three albums, over 3 hours of music, were all released within 13-14 months of each other. It almost felt like overkill, but since the albums were chock full of quality stuff, I did not mind  at all. It's a rare blessing that a band this good can put out that much consistently good material in such a short time!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

Wow, it's been over 3 weeks since the (my) last post in here... Anyway, tomorrow is the release date for BBT's newest live album, Merchants Of Light, which promises to be as exciting as their last one! Lots of great epic music, including some of my favorites like "Brave Captain", "A Mead Hall In Winter", "East Coast Racer", and "Victorian Brickwork".

I can't wait to spin it this weekend, hopefully my order from Burning Shed comes in today or tomorrow! Did anyone else pre-order this, either as the 2CD set or the gorgeous 3LP set (which I wish I could have afforded, but it's pretty pricey for my budget this summer)?

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

Wow, it's been over 3 weeks since the (my) last post in here... Anyway, tomorrow is the release date for BBT's newest live album, Merchants Of Light, which promises to be as exciting as their last one! Lots of great epic music, including some of my favorites like "Brave Captain", "A Mead Hall In Winter", "East Coast Racer", and "Victorian Brickwork".

I can't wait to spin it this weekend, hopefully my order from Burning Shed comes in today or tomorrow! Did anyone else pre-order this, either as the 2CD set or the gorgeous 3LP set (which I wish I could have afforded, but it's pretty pricey for my budget this summer)?

-Marc.

Marccccc, of course I ordered it ;) I can't not buy the stuff this band releases...

By the way, I saw BBT at the Loreley and I have to say it's been one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Sound, performance, show, everything was perfect. I would have changed Kingmaker for (for example) Brooklands, but that's just my personal taste.

And my Merchants Of Light package JUST arrived with the mail!

Here are some pictures, please don't pay attention to me, I always look shite when standing next to musicians of this caliber.

https://ibb.co/gSVabK
https://ibb.co/ftMRiz
https://ibb.co/gYMRiz
https://ibb.co/j3CAAe
https://ibb.co/b6ukbK
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Rikard is one hell of a great guy! I talked to him on Saturday evening for quite a while.
Did you meet Nick from this forum?
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline The Letter M

The band have posted pics of recording sessions fortheir next album, which they say will be released next May. One song will be titled "Brew & Burgh" according to sheet music for Tuba.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

The band have posted pics of recording sessions fortheir next album, which they say will be released next May. One song will be titled "Brew & Burgh" according to sheet music for Tuba.

-Marc.

I can't believe this is getting no response! I am super hyped for this, even more than for the new Neal Morse album. A fried of mine commented on their instagram post, asking if this album will be similarly folky like the last ones or if it will take another direction. The band replied it would feature LESS of a folk influence.

I absolutely loved (!) the last albums, but I would also like to hear something among the lines of The Underfall Yard again!

Talking about Underfall Yard, my friend and I asked the band if they'll ever release that album on vinyl. They replied, they'd probably do that for its 10th anniversary. So I guess that will be coming next year too ;) I just hope, they would release the Far Skies EP on vinyl too.

Offline The Letter M

Recently, Big Big Train had a viewing of the upcoming blu-ray release for Merchants Of Light, due sometime early next year. I can't wait for this release, especially since MOL was a STUNNING live album, finally getting the live video will be a treat!

Also, as pointed out in the 2019 Release Date thread, the band have confirmed that their next studio album is due out sometime next May. No word, as far as I know, on the length or themes/concepts used on the album outside of a couple song titles spotted on sheet music during the recording process. Any year there is a BBT album, it's always contender for album of the year for me, but there's a LOT of BIG albums coming out next year (Neal Morse, Dream Theater, and who knows what else at this point), so it'll be an exciting year for new prog over-all!

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

I heard about a live DVD too, and I'm so happy we're finally getting a full BBT live concert!

But I'm even more excited for the new BBT studio album! I'm sure it'll be great. They mentioned somewhere that on this album they're going into a slightly different direction. Wonder which one. My personal favourite would be something slightly more dark like Underfall or Difference Machine. But in the end I don't really care because BBT never disappoint.

Plus, 2019 sees the release of The Underfall Yard on vinyl!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Spawton and Longdon were interviewed on a BBC Radio science show recently, where they discussed a track from their upcoming album titled Voyager, named after the space probes, the second of which this week left our Solar System.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
So George Roldan, founder of RoSfest commented recently that there will be multiple headliner announcements made at RoSfest 2019 for 2020. Given that the rumor has been that Big Big Train will finally make the leap to America in 2020 I'm cautiously optimistic that they will be at RoSfest in 2020.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Fritzinger

I heard about a live DVD too, and I'm so happy we're finally getting a full BBT live concert!

But I'm even more excited for the new BBT studio album! I'm sure it'll be great. They mentioned somewhere that on this album they're going into a slightly different direction. Wonder which one. My personal favourite would be something slightly more dark like Underfall or Difference Machine. But in the end I don't really care because BBT never disappoint.

Plus, 2019 sees the release of The Underfall Yard on vinyl!!!

Well, I guess BBT keep their promises!

This was posted a few days back on Facebook:

As 2018 draws to a close, we wanted to take an opportunity to thank all listeners for their support for Big Big Train over the last year. We cannot make music and play gigs without the support of our audience and we would like to thank you all for lending us your ears and for getting behind us in so many ways.
The next couple of years will be busy ones for the band. We will be releasing a new studio album in the spring of 2019 (there will be news on a date for an album launch party soon) and we will be touring the UK in the autumn. In 2020, we will be playing in the States, Canada and in mainland Europe. Along the way, there will also be a Blu-Ray from the 2017 Cadogan Hall shows, and an official book which will tell the story of the band.
And there will be a remixed vinyl, CD and download re-issue of The Underfall Yard (celebrating the 10th anniversary of that album.)
In the meantime, we wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Danny, Dave, David, Greg, Nick, Rachel, Rikard
Big Big Train

Has anyone listened to the excerpts of the new song on that radio show? How does it sound?

OH I almost forgot the most important news of all: David has a beard now and it looks awesome!

Offline The Letter M

With regards to their upcoming studio album, Greg posted this update recently:

Just a quick update for forum members on the new Big Big Train album (before the official announcements start to happen in late March / early April.) The album is finished and we are currently going through the slightly tedious process of preparing the audio for the multiple different release requirements. For anyone who is interested, that means audio in 24/96, grouped into four sides of vinyl for the LP release, audio in 24/96 for Bandcamp, and audio in 16/44 for the streaming versions. The CD version also requires audio in 16/44 and this has to be submitted to the factory using a particular type of software to create a DDP file (screenshot of the album in this software below this post). Alongside the music, the artwork and design has progressed to completion and that is now with various factories being made into album and CD covers and booklets.

We do hope you enjoy our new music and we look forward to performing some of the album (alongside other songs) on our autumn 2019 UK tour and further afield in 2020.

And in that same posted, he responded to a question about song lengths and said "Yes, it's a long album and there are three songs longer than 13 minutes and one other song longer than eight minutes." So if you love BBT's epics, looks like we are getting some more!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

Exciting news! Can't wait for it. Out of the blue yesterday, I felt like popping A Mead Hall in Winter on. Fabulous track! It's fascinating how certain phrases pop up from time to time throughout the "Albion" cycle of albums. "Reaching for the far skies", "the dream of the West", and the like.

Offline The Letter M

BBT have posted an update on their Facebook that shows a countdown on their website to March 25th at 7:00am EST, presumably a reveal for their new album, which was said to be released in May. March 25th would be about 2 months ahead of release, so that sounds about right, but I wonder if they have any other news besides the new album, like the Cadogan Hall BD that was recorded but yet to be released.

Either way, I am excited to see this countdown and cannot wait for the details on the new album!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. Countdown to 3/26 - NEW ALBUM REVEAL!!!
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2019, 09:19:50 PM »
In less than EIGHT HOURS, whatever news BBT has for us will be revealed!!! Can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning and see what they have in store for us. Hopefully it's details on their next album, as well as a release date for the Cadogan Hall blu-ray!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2019, 04:32:22 AM »
Ah. I was gonna pop here and bump this as the countdown is down to less than 30 minutes now, but I see it was done already. Almost time...

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2019, 04:35:00 AM »
Psyched af!!!  :metal

I mean (*Bri-ish accent*) I think this is going to be delightful (*sips tea*).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2019, 05:00:18 AM »
Here y'all go!!!

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/?fbclid=IwAR3DaEDCqbggcS9t5QBclQDkdBOjWdeCN7BtYv2FnjFGqyke56k2zHhuHYA

Grand Tour
Inspired by the 17th and 18th century custom of the Grand Tour, where young men and women travelled to broaden the mind, Big Big Train have made an album of songs set in distant lands and beyond.

Grand Tour will be released on May 17th 2019 and is available to pre-order now on double heavyweight gatefold vinyl (featuring a 24 page booklet), digipack CD (featuring a 52 page booklet) and on standard and hi-resolution (24/96) download. Grand Tour will be available on all good streaming services on release day.

Novum Organum  (2:33)
 Alive  (4:31)
The Florentine  (8:14)
Roman Stone  (13:33)
Pantheon  (6:08)
Theodora in Green and Gold  (5:38)
Ariel  (14:28)
Voyager  (14:03)
Homesong  (5:12)

Grand Tour features nine new tracks which will take listeners on an epic journey over land and sea and through time and space.

Inspired by the 17th and 18th century custom of the Grand Tour, where young men and women travelled to broaden the mind, Big Big Train’s 2019 album features nine songs set in distant lands and beyond.

‘There are songs inspired by the legacy of the Italian Renaissance genius, Leonardo da Vinci; songs telling the story of the rise and fall of Rome; of the beautiful mosaics of Ravenna, and of the shipwreck of a great poet, lost in a tempest off the coast of Italy. Along the way, the story of mankind’s greatest ever journey is told.’  - Nick D’Virgilio

‘Grand Tour is a celebration of the human experience, of science and art, and of what it means to be alive.’ - David Longdon
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:21:48 AM by Fritzinger »

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2019, 05:19:54 AM »
It looks awesome! Big Big Train finally travelling out beyond England. I guess in a way this is the idea behind Experimental Gentlemen (ie. travelling out and discovering new lands) expanded to cover a whole album.

Novum Organum  (2:33)
 Alive  (4:31)
The Florentine  (8:14)
Roman Stone  (13:33)
Pantheon  (6:08)
Theodora in Green and Gold  (5:38)
Ariel  (14:28)
Voyager  (14:03)
Homesong  (5:12)

Couple of nice chunky epics in there.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. NEW ALBUM - Grand Tour (May 17th)
« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2019, 06:29:09 AM »
AHHHHH this looks like it'll be amazing, especially those 3 epics! I love the concept being it, too, as "A Mead Hall In Winter" is one of my favorite songs by them, I hope we get more of that! Hope we get a sample or two in the coming weeks!

Looks like the album is 74:20 long, which is just enough new BBT music for me! I was not expecting anything longer than an hour or so, but I guess they have had plenty of time to write plenty of material.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:34:31 AM by The Letter M »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2019, 08:44:26 AM »
I'm reading a bit about the members on their website - I didn't know David Longdon was invited to audition for Genesis in 1996. Apparently it stood between him and Ray Wilson, who ended up getting the gig. 

Dave Gregory I already know about, since I'm a huge XTC fan.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2019, 09:45:03 AM »
A 52-page booklet probably means we're going to get substantial liner notes about the songs, like with Grimspound.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2019, 03:31:41 PM »
I'm reading a bit about the members on their website - I didn't know David Longdon was invited to audition for Genesis in 1996. Apparently it stood between him and Ray Wilson, who ended up getting the gig. 

Dave Gregory I already know about, since I'm a huge XTC fan.

Funny thing about Longdon almost getting the Genesis gig is that Nick D'Virgilio actually drummed on some of the songs on Calling All Stations! Serendipitous that both Nick and David would later join Big Big Train at the same time, for The Underfall Yard. Can you imagine the alternate history where both Nick and David were full-time members of Genesis in the late 90s? I wonder if Big Big Train would still exist as it has for the last decade if they had been a part of Genesis over 20 years ago...

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #235 on: April 19, 2019, 05:36:50 AM »

Offline Harmony

« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »
Love it.  I hear a little 'Watcher of the Skies' on that intro.  And if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, Nick is a beast.  This will be a fun song to have on the car stereo.  And with all the negativity in the world, I appreciate the uplifting spirit of this number.  Can't wait for the rest of the album.

As for the video - well, it's fine but maybe a bit cheesy at times.  I love the cameo by Winkie.   ;)
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #237 on: April 19, 2019, 11:27:03 PM »
Album art kind of reminds me of some earlier Steve Hackett albums.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online DTA

« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2019, 08:55:40 AM »
Super-catchy song. I like it. Folkore/Grimspound/Second Star meandered a bit too much for my liking and lacked the catchy hooks that made me love the English Electrics so much.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #239 on: April 26, 2019, 07:24:18 AM »
Something to sink your teeth into here. A 90-minute interview with Spawton, Longdon and artist Sarah Ewing filmed at the Royal Astronomical Society: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TeqxFlqffc

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #240 on: April 26, 2019, 04:25:47 PM »
Something to sink your teeth into here. A 90-minute interview with Spawton, Longdon and artist Sarah Ewing filmed at the Royal Astronomical Society: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TeqxFlqffc

I'm dying to watch this, but I'll have to ask my usual question: Is there any music from the new album in this video? If yes, when? I'd like to avoid all spoilers :)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2019, 01:54:57 AM »
I just listened to Alive, I really like it! Looking forward to the album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #242 on: April 27, 2019, 03:06:01 AM »

I'm dying to watch this, but I'll have to ask my usual question: Is there any music from the new album in this video? If yes, when? I'd like to avoid all spoilers :)

No music in the interview itself, but there is a track-by-track discussion. There is some music at the end, but whether it's BBT's or not I can't tell. It's likely just a general backing track accompanying footage of them looking round the RAS.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #243 on: May 07, 2019, 12:16:12 AM »
No opinions on Theodora In Green & Gold yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZRsmxpS7iI

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2019, 02:45:16 AM »
Really looking forward to this, going to avoid listening to the songs till I have the album as a whole.

Any Big Big Train fans should check out 'Lifesigns' very similar sounding melodic British prog band.  Two albums so far, probably the second one 'Cardington' is slightly better.