Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111277 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. Alberto Bravin, new frontman; New BBT Book coming 6/17
« Reply #980 on: June 28, 2022, 07:05:54 AM »
Posthumous David Longdon solo album announced. Will be released on October 14!

https://www.loudersound.com/news/listen-to-brand-new-trailer-for-upcoming-david-longdon-solo-album

David Longdon: Door One
1. Into The Icehouse
2. Watch It Burn
3. There’s No Ghost Like An Old Ghost
4. The Singer And The Song
5. Forgive (But Not Forget)
6. Sangfroid
7. The Letting Go
8. Love Is All

Trailer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l067jCbIk_0
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 07:13:53 AM by HOF »

Offline HOF

« Reply #981 on: June 28, 2022, 07:20:45 AM »
Wow, can’t find an official announcement, but the band retweeted this and there’s a discussion thread for it on the Facebook group. The concert from Lorely will be released on October 14th as well! “Summer Shall Not Fade.”

https://twitter.com/gandalf81/status/1541768290309230592?s=21&t=Ic7V1EYEW3848PljRDv-gA

Edit: ah, there was an email update with both announcements in my inbox. Apparently email is the last thing I check in a day!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #982 on: June 28, 2022, 07:53:15 AM »
I got more emotional than I thought I would hearing David's voice and his solo album cuts.  I'm really looking forward to both of these releases.   :heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline HOF

« Reply #983 on: June 28, 2022, 08:05:13 AM »
I got more emotional than I thought I would hearing David's voice and his solo album cuts.  I'm really looking forward to both of these releases.   :heart

It really is something to hear his voice again. I imagine listening to the album the first time will be quite emotional.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #984 on: June 28, 2022, 08:19:50 AM »
This is great news.

I was a that Loreley show and stood in the middle of the first row and it was one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

Also, I am very excited but also sad to hear David's voice again in new music for what I presume is the very last time ever.

Man it's just so sad he is no longer with us.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

Saw on Facebook that Greg performed 12-string guitar on a couple of the songs on Door One. This will definitely be a very emotional album, for sure, but I look forward to it very much, as well as the Loreley concert. Now we'll have a, more or less, complete collection of live BBT concerts from 2015-2019 from each of their short stints of shows during those years. I suspect we will see a new studio album and another live album (from this fall's shows) coming next year as well, so it feels like this train isn't slowing down!

After I get paid tomorrow, I'll be pre-ordering the Summer Shall Not Fade/Door One bundle from TheBandWagonUSA. No way am I missing out on these releases!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

I will definitely be picking up both as well.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Pre-ordered the package of both from Bandwagon. Listened to the trailer for David's album and that sealed it, not that I didn't think I would buy it. Just wanted a taste.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

New video for the first single from Door One has been posted:
https://youtu.be/H885nF4X5Fo

Very good, powerful song. David's voice is certainly something else and will continue to be missed.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

Reading through Between The Lines this week and listening album by album at the same time. It actually has worked out pretty well as it takes me about an album’s length to get through each chapter, so I’ve generally been on the right album for whatever part of the book I’m reading. Accidentally skipped Far Skies Deep Time and started on EE this morning! Woops! Had to go back, which was hard because EE was really captivating me. But now I’ve got FSDT on and it is also just so magical. Just tremendous music.

Offline HOF

So I’ve just finished reading Between The Lines. It’s a very thorough and well written overview of the band’s career, taking time to go into some detail about each band member, album, and live show. To me the biggest revelation is how sour the relationship between Greg Spawton and Andy Poole turned. I had only the vaguest hint of some resentment there after the split (Greg had once answered a question of mine on Facebook about who played bass on TUY, and I got the sense from that answer that Andy had all but stopped contributing to the band musically by that point).  I had always chalked Andy’s departure more to him sort of being redundant once the band started taking on more seasoned players/performers. But it really sounds like it was more of a conflict between Greg and Andy in terms of the direction and commitment to the band as more of a full time, commercial venture. Essentially, Andy didn’t want to take the same kind of risks that Greg did to move the band forward, and Greg came to feel that Andy wasn’t committed or pulling his weight. The eventual split was much more acrimonious than I realized. That was kind of a hard part to read.

You really do get a sense of how much Greg has poured himself into this band, even to the point where he’s butted heads with members throughout the band’s career. I think there may be a bit of resentment from both Martin Read and Sean Filkins about how their time in the band came to an end as well. Greg was also fairly precious about the songwriting really up until Longdon came on board. Longdon really was the perfect fit for the band and partner for Greg. I worry a little bit about the band dynamic going forward as Greg always had Andy as his right hand guy up until David took on that roll when he joined. It will be interesting to see how the band functions without that sort of dynamic going forward, or if Alberto can slide into that roll or what.

One very cool thing that made its way into the book is that the band is planning the release in 2022 or 2023 of a compilation titled “Ingenious Devices” which will include renditions of East Coast Racer and Brooklands with string arrangements recorded at Abbey Road Studios back at the same time as strings were tracked for Voyager. I feel like this has been teased in the past, but I can’t recall if that title has been mentioned before. Not sure what else will be included, but I wonder if some of the long rumored Station Masters recordings will find their way there.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Something always struck me as off with Andy. I'm a fastidious reader of liner notes and I noticed that Andy's credits all but disappeared over time. Made me wonder exactly what his role was. Couple that with the live shows that we have. Andy is almost never featured on camera and it's almost like they avoid him. I have tried on several viewings to see what he is doing and a lot of times he just seems to be sitting back there doing nothing or tuning an acoustic guitar.

I, frankly, am not surprised by the revelation. Even as a newbie, the situation seemed off to me with Andy.

As for co-writing, I think Greg is acutely aware of what he has with Rikard and NDV. I expect they will step it up even more with David gone.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

When I met up for lunch with yeshaberto last Friday, we started talking about bands we had been meaning to check out, but hadn't heard much from.   

For the life of me, I could not remember this band that I had only heard a few tracks from that just recently had a lead singer pass away.    I'm so happy this thread got bumped to the top today.  Totally jogged my memory.

I really have to check out more from these guys.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

Something always struck me as off with Andy. I'm a fastidious reader of liner notes and I noticed that Andy's credits all but disappeared over time. Made me wonder exactly what his role was. Couple that with the live shows that we have. Andy is almost never featured on camera and it's almost like they avoid him. I have tried on several viewings to see what he is doing and a lot of times he just seems to be sitting back there doing nothing or tuning an acoustic guitar.

I, frankly, am not surprised by the revelation. Even as a newbie, the situation seemed off to me with Andy.

As for co-writing, I think Greg is acutely aware of what he has with Rikard and NDV. I expect they will step it up even more with David gone.

I wouldn’t say his departure was so much of a shock, as he did seem to take on a much reduced role once the band started bringing in more talent. What surprised me was how acrimonious it apparently got, and for some time before he left, starting with tension between him and Greg about going to Real World to record Stone & Steel. He thought it was too much of a financial extravagance. Then the King’s Place show, Greg felt like Andy left him to do all the work making arrangements for the show (they were basically the only two partners in the org at that point).

Andy’s role even back before Longdon seemed to be more about production and engineering their recordings, which were largely home made with Aubrey doing the vocals and mixes at his studios. He stopped contributing bass on The Difference Machine, and after that it seems like he would just get the odd parts on record. But he did a lot of the production legwork, coordinating everyone’s remote recordings, curating parts, and putting together the songs with Rob Aubrey. For a long time it was really just him and Greg running things before Longdon came along.

Live, he was essentially just rounding out all of the extra little keyboard and guitar parts that Danny and Rikard's couldn’t cover themselves. But he wasn’t really a “player” and since BBT was not a touring venture for many years, I don’t think he was ever really comfortable with taking the band beyond a studio project. I think that was kind of the main wedge between him and Greg. After the Stone & Steel experiment, everyone was excited about the prospect of being able to perform live, but on the way home afterward Andy basically told Greg he thought playing live wasn’t a good idea, and that really chafed Greg.

It does sound like with some time past, they have mended things a bit, but I don’t think they were on very good terms at all when he left or for some time afterward.

Offline HOF

When I met up for lunch with yeshaberto last Friday, we started talking about bands we had been meaning to check out, but hadn't heard much from.   

For the life of me, I could not remember this band that I had only heard a few tracks from that just recently had a lead singer pass away.    I'm so happy this thread got bumped to the top today.  Totally jogged my memory.

Definitely should check them out! You’re a big IQ guy, right? Not that they are that much alike, but they have a lot of connections to IQ (they started out on their label, Martin Orford has played on some of their albums, etc.). Check out The Underfall Yard album and/or English Electric at a minimum.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 08:49:57 PM by HOF »

Offline jammindude

Definitely should check them out! You’re a big IQ guy, right? Not that they are that much alike, but they have a lot of connections to IQ (they started out on their label, Martin Orford has played on some of their albums, etc.). Check out The Underfall Yard album and/or English Electric at a minimum.

Absolutely! I only just discovered IQ just before the road of bones came out and I got into them very slowly. But in the last two or three years I’ve become an absolute freak. They have quickly rocketed to my number three all-time band. And I did not know that BBT had a connection to IQ. Now you can definitely bet I’ll be picking up an album or two within the next week or so.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Great place to sample and possibly buy many since a lot of the physical is either out of print or terribly hard to find.

https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/

Offline Kram

Definitely check them out, they've become a top 5 all time favorite band for me.  Incredible stuff!  Plus one for starting with The Underfall Yard and working your way forward from there.  Enjoy the ride!

Offline jammindude

I can get Underfall Yard through Amazon. But it seems I can get both the original, or the newly remixed and remastered version. Does anyone out there have a preference? I know sometimes the remixes and remasters can be disasters. But other times, the original recording was in desperate need of some retooling.

Offline HOF

I can get Underfall Yard through Amazon. But it seems I can get both the original, or the newly remixed and remastered version. Does anyone out there have a preference? I know sometimes the remixes and remasters can be disasters. But other times, the original recording was in desperate need of some retooling.

The new remix sounds fantastic and is a step up from the original sound-wise (which was mixed on a budget with lesser equipment), so it's worth it if you're willing to spring for it. Not that the original sounded bad at all, but Rob Aubrey did something magical to make the drums sound much fuller than on the original. There are a few minor things about the original that I prefer, but they are only minor. The second disc on the remix edition has some interesting stuff on it but probably isn't essential if you do decide to start with the original version.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just pre-ordered it from Burning Shed.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kram

Looks and sounds incredible!

Offline Harmony

DITTO.  I know I will be a blubbering baby the whole way through but man I cannot wait for this.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Kram

DITTO.  I know I will be a blubbering baby the whole way through but man I cannot wait for this.
Me too LOL

Offline HOF

My goodness. The band have to postpone their European tour once again because of the shenanigans by the HRH Prog festival. At this point, it feels like consistent touring for the band is just never going to happen and they should focus on studio work with maybe going back to doing a three night run in a single location every year or so since touring doesn’t seem to make financial sense anymore.

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/live/

But, they did tease this for next week!

We will be issuing a further update next week, including news of more exciting touring in 2023 as well as releasing a new song to give you a taste of things to come!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Wonder why HRH postponed? Covid can't really be an excuse anymore as we've basically fully opened up now.

Offline HOF

Wonder why HRH postponed? Covid can't really be an excuse anymore as we've basically fully opened up now.

The official statement was “logistical and operational challenges” with the venue. They also cited travel costs for bands and fans being prohibitive. No idea what the real story is, but they “postponed” the festival rather than cancelled it so ticket holders couldn’t get refunds. Oh, and they moved it to another location on a date when the headliner (BBT) couldn’t play, so people with tickets and travel plans to see BBT are just out of luck now.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Didn't take long to answer the question of if I'd make an appearance in this. :D

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline HOF

Didn't take long to answer the question of if I'd make an appearance in this. :D

Awesome!

Offline Kram

I just saw on Facebook that the band announced they plan to record and film the upcoming Zoetermeer show for a future live release.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I just saw on Facebook that the band announced they plan to record and film the upcoming Zoetermeer show for a future live release.

Good to hear. Kind of hope for a quick turnaround as I think it would be a great introduction and way for us to ease into Alberto. Not sure they actually would since Loreley is coming out soon and look how long it took to put that out.

Offline HOF

New song!

“Last Eleven”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3Ka0ZiLjr3TPR7hU5GyEIFTTKgiE8R-pX51uQigO7OR043eCamwPnSOx8&v=I6uogyFjva4&feature=youtu.be

Fantastic! Has an early BBT feel to it, in places he reminds me a bit of Sean Filkins. It’s noted to still be a “work in progress,” but I love what I’m hearing.

Louder Sound article:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/big-big-train-release-first-track-with-new-singer-alberto-bravin?fbclid=IwAR3ghNXvE5eDTvHHWwLOn2NlsNV4k_Eg-mVeuRfNXnvzlGxIF4QBm4RLuww

Offline The Letter M

Stunning song, even if it's a WIP. Alberto sounds great, but Nick always leaves a huge impression on me. I do hear a bit of Filkins-era BBT in there as well but with a bit of Longdon-era sprinkled in. It's like the band is reaching back and moving forward at the same time... like a train.

-Marc.

Offline Kram

Love it!!!  Was getting choked up listening to it as their music brings me such joy.  This still has the BBT "Magic", no doubt!