Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 108531 times)

Offline Kram

Very cool NDV playthrough of The Florentine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGexdc4LkwQ
NDV is amazing!

Offline The Letter M

Very cool NDV playthrough of The Florentine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGexdc4LkwQ

Saw this yesterday! I would pay good money for a BD of Nick just playing all of the BBT songs on drums and singing his vocal parts, like many of Mike Portnoy's drum cam DVDs. Nick is just mesmerizing to watch, and his powerful, yet subtle drum work is one of the best aspects of BBT, and of SB as well during his tenure with the band. I wish more people knew about him in the drumming world.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I always enjoyed NDV's work in the Beard (At The End Of The Day) but I never really gave him the same attention or love that I give other drummers. His work with BBT totally changed my view of him. He seemed to save the best for them. I mean, that groove he plays in Folklore is a highlight of the song for me.

Whatever the case, he really takes it to another level on the train.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Kram

Offline The Letter M

Nice in depth interview with Greg Spawton.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5bzg0RZhjXU&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3Y3V1HjchMiWDu6Lm6QQGbu15McH60zJjJdBFB4_nvHW4Yascsduggx9E

Watched this last night and it was a great interview! I like that Greg brought up the Bard re-issue and the possibility of performing "The Last English King" live. It would be neat to see the band pull out a few Pre-TUY songs with Alberto as their new vocalist. I think they were hesitant to bring out a lot of older material with David because they had built up a reputation as a band with David's music since he joined, so they probably wanted to keep the focus on the music they had released since he joined them. With Alberto, however, all BBT music seems fair game at this point, and it'd be neat to see them play some songs from their first five albums. and maybe update the arrangements to include violin and the brass ensemble!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5bzg0RZhjXU&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3Y3V1HjchMiWDu6Lm6QQGbu15McH60zJjJdBFB4_nvHW4Yascsduggx9E

Watched this last night and it was a great interview! I like that Greg brought up the Bard re-issue and the possibility of performing "The Last English King" live. It would be neat to see the band pull out a few Pre-TUY songs with Alberto as their new vocalist. I think they were hesitant to bring out a lot of older material with David because they had built up a reputation as a band with David's music since he joined, so they probably wanted to keep the focus on the music they had released since he joined them. With Alberto, however, all BBT music seems fair game at this point, and it'd be neat to see them play some songs from their first five albums. and maybe update the arrangements to include violin and the brass ensemble!

-Marc.

Yeah, I think playing some pre-Longdon stuff might take some of the pressure off Alberto to fill David’s shoes. Not sure how receptive the audiences would be to it, but I’m sure most dedicated BBT fans would be interested in some of the older stuff entering the set. Would love to see them dust off something like The Shipping Forecast.

Offline Kram

-Marc.

Yeah, I think playing some pre-Longdon stuff might take some of the pressure off Alberto to fill David’s shoes. Not sure how receptive the audiences would be to it, but I’m sure most dedicated BBT fans would be interested in some of the older stuff entering the set. Would love to see them dust off something like The Shipping Forecast.
That's a great point.

Offline The Letter M

A new newsletter from the band includes a short interview with Greg about the new state of the band, plus this tidbit about their shows in September:

"We are spoilt for choice for material to play for you but have devised a set list which includes a few tracks from Common Ground and Welcome To The Planet as well as so me old favourites plus a couple of songs from the back catalogue that have never been played live before. We will also be unveiling a brand new song."

Very exciting stuff! I can see them releasing a live album from these shows, which would be an interesting way to debut Alberto on a BBT album, unless they release his first studio album with them before those shows get a live album release (which is very likely given how long it usually takes them to work on a live album since we are just now getting the Loreley show this year, nearly four years later).

Greg says that a new band member will be interviewed in each future newsletter in the lead-up to the shows this fall, and the next one will be Nick! If you aren't subscribed to the BBT newsletter, be sure to do so ASAP to stay up to date on all the on-goings within the band, especially if you aren't a part of the Facebook group/follow the BBT Facebook page.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
#notsponsored :P

Online HOF

Also noted in the newsletter was this interview with Alberto Bravin on Progzilla. He picked his top 10 songs (not sure it's all time or just prog songs or what) that get played during the interview. He mentions how DT was an early prog influence for him, especially on the keyboard and vocal side.

https://progzilla.com/live-from-progzilla-towers-edition-431-alberto-bravins-top-ten/

Offline Kram

A new newsletter from the band includes a short interview with Greg about the new state of the band, plus this tidbit about their shows in September:

"We are spoilt for choice for material to play for you but have devised a set list which includes a few tracks from Common Ground and Welcome To The Planet as well as so me old favourites plus a couple of songs from the back catalogue that have never been played live before. We will also be unveiling a brand new song."

Very exciting stuff! I can see them releasing a live album from these shows, which would be an interesting way to debut Alberto on a BBT album, unless they release his first studio album with them before those shows get a live album release (which is very likely given how long it usually takes them to work on a live album since we are just now getting the Loreley show this year, nearly four years later).

Greg says that a new band member will be interviewed in each future newsletter in the lead-up to the shows this fall, and the next one will be Nick! If you aren't subscribed to the BBT newsletter, be sure to do so ASAP to stay up to date on all the on-goings within the band, especially if you aren't a part of the Facebook group/follow the BBT Facebook page.

-Marc.
Where do I sign up for the newsletter?  Is that the same as The Passengers Club?

Online HOF

-Marc.
Where do I sign up for the newsletter?  Is that the same as The Passengers Club?

The newsletter is separate. You can sign up for free here by just giving them your email:

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/subscribe/

The Passengers Club is a paid subscription, but lots of cool content to be had there:

https://thepassengersclub.com/

Offline Kram

-Marc.

The newsletter is separate. You can sign up for free here by just giving them your email:

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/subscribe/

The Passengers Club is a paid subscription, but lots of cool content to be had there:

https://thepassengersclub.com/
OK, thanks.  I need to sign up for both!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I watched the Stone & Steel video yesterday for the first time (found it on YT). What a masterful performance. A lovely rendition of Uncle Jack in particular, and it has my favourite version of Kingmaker. Danny and Rachel was impressive on Wind Distorted Pioneers.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I watched the Stone & Steel video yesterday for the first time (found it on YT). What a masterful performance. A lovely rendition of Uncle Jack in particular, and it has my favourite version of Kingmaker. Danny and Rachel was impressive on Wind Distorted Pioneers.

That performance of Uncle Jack is easily my favorite version of it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/UHyZ8DY4Mqs

New Fall Tour trailer featuring Alberto singing some classic BBT songs, and ending with a new one I believe!

-Marc.

Online HOF

New Fall Tour trailer featuring Alberto singing some classic BBT songs, and ending with a new one I believe!

-Marc.

Will take some getting used to, but he can definitely sing. A bit more of an operatic metal style. I also imagine these are from the demos he sang when he auditioned, so maybe not fully produced by the band. I imagine these shows will be fantastic though. New song sounded really nice.

Offline Kram

-Marc.

Will take some getting used to, but he can definitely sing. A bit more of an operatic metal style. I also imagine these are from the demos he sang when he auditioned, so maybe not fully produced by the band. I imagine these shows will be fantastic though. New song sounded really nice.
I watched it twice and think he sounds great. Yes, this is going to take some getting used to - and I agree he's got more of that operatic metal style, but as we spoke about before, he's in an impossible situation - and they didn't want a David Longdon imitator.  He definitely has the voice and range to hit the big high notes, but I was most impressed with how he sounded in his lower register on the new song (which sounds great) and in that part of A Mead Hall in Winter.  All things considered, I think this is fantastic and I'm excited for the bands future.

Offline The Letter M

I think with so many vocalists in the band, it wouldn't hurt if they also split some of the vocal duties when they hit the stage. Given Nick and Rikard some of David's vocal lines just to give the band a more vocally diverse feel and to separate itself from the Longdon-era performances of these songs. It could help the band rebuild its identity, which was already headed towards being a multi-vocalist band in the last two albums anyway, especially ending WTTP with a song mostly sung by Carly. I think future albums might also work with that framework as well - have some songs sung by Nick, Rikard, Carly, Claire, etc., as well as Alberto.

-Marc.

Offline Kram

I think with so many vocalists in the band, it wouldn't hurt if they also split some of the vocal duties when they hit the stage. Given Nick and Rikard some of David's vocal lines just to give the band a more vocally diverse feel and to separate itself from the Longdon-era performances of these songs. It could help the band rebuild its identity, which was already headed towards being a multi-vocalist band in the last two albums anyway, especially ending WTTP with a song mostly sung by Carly. I think future albums might also work with that framework as well - have some songs sung by Nick, Rikard, Carly, Claire, etc., as well as Alberto.

-Marc.
Great idea and I wouldn't be surprised if they do just that.  I'm also wondering if Alberto will be just a front-man or will he play any instruments on stage (apparently he plays keyboards and guitar)?

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.
Great idea and I wouldn't be surprised if they do just that.  I'm also wondering if Alberto will be just a front-man or will he play any instruments on stage (apparently he plays keyboards and guitar)?

I could see him adding some keys and guitar to their next album, but on stage? Maybe some guitar, but they'll have a keyboard role filled in and Rikard also does some on stage as well, so unless they want to lighten the load around the band a bit, they could give Alberto some key parts. Same with guitar as they have Dove Foster and Rikard covering a lot of guitar parts, but if there's any monents they need two electric and one acoustic, they could use a third guitarist.

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
So turn BBT into Transatlantic and have Alberto fill the Neal Morse role live?  :biggrin:

Honestly, that's the first thing I thought of. I'm all for more of a vocal share. My guess is that will be up to Greg and how he wants to proceed. I love both Rikard and NDV so I'd be down for some 3-part (or more) lead stuff.

Offline The Letter M

So turn BBT into Transatlantic and have Alberto fill the Neal Morse role live?  :biggrin:

Honestly, that's the first thing I thought of. I'm all for more of a vocal share. My guess is that will be up to Greg and how he wants to proceed. I love both Rikard and NDV so I'd be down for some 3-part (or more) lead stuff.

I mean, sure why not, but maybe not to the degree that Transatlantic is known for. Then again, as I said, it sounded like the band were already ready to expand their lead-vocal duties within the band with their last two albums.

At this point, I could see them doing longer concept songs or even a concept album and utilize each vocalist as a character or characters in a narrative concept. Could be interesting, depending on the concept, and it would be something they haven't really quite done before, though they've done some thematically-linked concept albums.

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Just watched the video. I loved his take on Mead Hall. Sound's excellent. I also liked that they included the penultimate moment of East Coast Racer. I'm liking what I am hearing from him. Looking forward to new music and a probable live album.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 01:18:19 PM by ProfessorPeart »

Offline Kram

Just watched the video. I loved his take on Mead Hall. Sound excellent. I also liked that they included the penultimate moment of East Coast Racer. I'm liking what I am hearing from him. Looking forward to new music and a probable live album.
Agreed, he sounds amazing on Mead Hall.  I just watched it again, and I think he sounds great on all of it actually.  I really like the snippet of the new song too.  I'm very excited for their future!

Online HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. Alberto Bravin, new frontman; New BBT Book coming 6/17
« Reply #971 on: June 03, 2022, 07:44:29 AM »
It looks like the solo album David Longdon was set to record just before he passed will be released posthumously.

Per Nick D'Virgilio in today’s BBT newsletter:

“The Big Big Train Book – Launch Event

There are a few slots left for this free event which takes place in London on Saturday 18th June. I wish I could be there but know it’s going to be a great evening. Gregory and the book’s author Grant Moon will be in conversation with writer/broadcaster Jo Kendall and I’m hearing that some music from David Longdon’s forthcoming solo album is going to be played too.”

From Kingmaker Management on Facebook:

“There will be a formal announcement about David’s posthumous solo album in the next month or so. Those attending the Big Big Train book event on Saturday 18th June will be getting a very special sneak preview!”

I’m assuming this is the new solo album Longdon was working on and not his out of print solo album Wild River (released back before he joined BBT). That was also slated to be remixed and reissued at some point before his death. Hopefully they are still able to do that at some point.

Nick also teased some additional news about the tour that will be announced on June 14th. There is also a demo version of "Uncle Jack" available in today's Passenger's Club update. It's Longdon's original demo with him playing all of the instruments/singing all the parts.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 08:53:00 AM by HOF »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #972 on: June 21, 2022, 10:09:47 AM »
What's that I hear? Why it's the @burningshed availability klaxon - warning that there are now under 300 copies left of the brand new @bigbigtrain book, Between The Lines - The Story of A Rock Band. It's time to get your order in so that you don't miss out!
Still not sure? Scroll our post to see some of the beautiful spreads inside and read what @progmagazine
and @classicrockmag
had to say about it.

#bigbigtrain
#bigbigtrainband
#bigbigtrainmusic
#gregspawton
#nickdivirgilio
#albertobravin
#rikardsjoblom
#davefoster
#carlybryant
#progmusic
#britishprog
#neoprog
#prog
#progmagazine
#booklaunch
#newrockmusicbook
#musicbook
#rockbiography
#musicbiography
#book

Looks like there won't be much time left to order one, so if you haven't yet, or have been on the fence, you may want to hop on this sooner than later.

I haven't received my copy yet but I'm hoping it arrives this week.

-Marc.

Online HOF

« Reply #973 on: June 21, 2022, 11:51:20 AM »
They said in last week’s newsletter that the book would be for sale on Amazon soon. Keep checking every day. Still holding out because of the $35 it will cost to ship from the UK.

Here is the quote from the 6/16 newsletter (last Thursday):

“Gregory tells me that the book will also be available from the end of next week via Amazon and other bookstores, but those copies of the book will not be signed.”

So maybe Friday these will be available to order. Hopefully this includes from US sellers, which Greg indicated would be the case previously.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #974 on: June 21, 2022, 12:05:46 PM »
They said in last week’s newsletter that the book would be for sale on Amazon soon. Keep checking every day. Still holding out because of the $35 it will cost to ship from the UK.

Here is the quote from the 6/16 newsletter (last Thursday):

“Gregory tells me that the book will also be available from the end of next week via Amazon and other bookstores, but those copies of the book will not be signed.”

So maybe Friday these will be available to order. Hopefully this includes from US sellers, which Greg indicated would be the case previously.

Greg usually answers to Facebook messages. I bet he will help you with this if you ask nicely!
any rock can be made to roll

Online HOF

« Reply #975 on: June 23, 2022, 06:48:51 AM »
Alright, here’s the post I’ve been waiting for:

https://m.facebook.com/#!/groups/bigbigtrain/permalink/10158996948878668/

Book is now available on Amazon, but it looks like only at the UK site (still at a big discount from the Burning Shed price for some reason). It will be available to order from The Band Wagon soon though, so I’ll probably wait for that!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #976 on: June 23, 2022, 07:17:31 AM »
I got my book in the mail the other day and WOW is it heavier than I thought! I haven't begun reading it yet but I thumbed through it a bit and saw some great photos of the band and its members. I'm not normally a book reader but I'm excited to read about the history of one of my favorite bands (Rush/Neil Peart is the only other band I've read books on).

-Marc.

Online HOF

« Reply #977 on: June 25, 2022, 12:49:42 PM »
Book is available from The Band Wagon USA now! Just ordered, though she said it won't be in stock until around July 6-8. Definitely saved on the shipping though. $5 v. $30.

https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/big-big-train/products/big-big-train-between-the-lines-the-story-of-a-rock-band-book-by-grant-moon

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #978 on: June 25, 2022, 02:23:33 PM »
Book is available from The Band Wagon USA now! Just ordered, though she said it won't be in stock until around July 6-8. Definitely saved on the shipping though. $5 v. $30.

https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/big-big-train/products/big-big-train-between-the-lines-the-story-of-a-rock-band-book-by-grant-moon

Dang... ah well, guess I could've saved $32 if I had waited but at least my copy is signed by Grant and Greg! I guess that's worth something.

-Marc.

Online HOF

« Reply #979 on: June 25, 2022, 02:43:09 PM »

Dang... ah well, guess I could've saved $32 if I had waited but at least my copy is signed by Grant and Greg! I guess that's worth something.

-Marc.

Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on the Burning Shed copy just for the signature. Too bad they couldn't have shipped some signed copies to Rita to sell in the US.