Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111295 times)

Online HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. RIP David Longdon ('65-'21); Welcome To The Planet OUT NOW!
« Reply #840 on: February 11, 2022, 06:40:15 AM »
Wonderful news, if still a little sad to even think about. I still think it would be great for them to bring in Peter Jones, even if just for some live concerts as he sounds a bit like Longdon. But I’d also be happy if they just had Nick, Carly, and Rikard share lead vocals duties. Whatever they do I’m sure it will be great though.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Big Big Train v. RIP David Longdon ('65-'21); Welcome To The Planet OUT NOW!
« Reply #841 on: February 11, 2022, 11:00:04 AM »
Not surprised in the least. I had a feeling something along the lines of 'David would want us to continue' would come out.

I also do no want NDV on lead vocals. Both his and Rikard's voices are too high for what I would want on these songs. That's not a slight on either. I mean, I busted out Gungfly's Friendship last night. Such a masterpiece.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online HOF

« Reply #842 on: February 11, 2022, 11:06:31 AM »
Not surprised in the least. I had a feeling something along the lines of 'David would want us to continue' would come out.

I also do no want NDV on lead vocals. Both his and Rikard's voices are too high for what I would want on these songs. That's not a slight on either. I mean, I busted out Gungfly's Friendship last night. Such a masterpiece.

I think there are some tracks that Nick will pull off just fine and that might even benefit from his particular vocal style, like this rendition of Transit of Venus Across the Sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpwpAJm1sA

But I think you'd lose some necessary British-ness with some of the material, and of course he's not going to have that same Peter Gabriel rasp to his voice. In some ways I don't want them to bring in somebody who sounds just like David either though. Which is why I think their best next move is to record some new music with Nick/Carly/Rikard on vocals before touring again so that they won't be totally dependent on David's material. I also like that Carly has a little bit lower-set voice, which might fit the BBT style a bit better and pair well with Nick's voice.

Offline Kram

« Reply #843 on: February 11, 2022, 12:45:49 PM »
Great news indeed!  I also don't want Nick to be the lead-singer, not that I don't like his voice (I like it quite a bit) but I'd rather him be the incredible drummer that he is who occasionally sings lead.  I think maybe they should try to find a talented unknown musician - kind of like what Neal Morse did with Eric and Bill.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #844 on: February 14, 2022, 11:01:24 PM »
So right after I saw that epic performance of East Coast Racer from King's Place, I immediately ordered Stone's Throw. I honestly can't stop listening to that version of the song. It's become a favorite, if not my favorite, track right now.

I still have to listen to Grand Tour, Empire and Planet. I'm sort of avoiding Empire for obvious reasons. I did notice the last song is East Coast Racer which means David goes out on 'she flies'.

As it stands with what I have listened to so far, Stone's Throw is my preferred live album and Folklore is my favorite studio album at the moment.

I was stuck so long in non-stop metal and it took this band to break me back out into some good old prog. I can't stop listening to them.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: February 15, 2022, 12:12:02 AM »
I haven't heard Stone's Throw yet, but Merchants Of Light is a stellar live album. And what a tracklist too.

Empire seems to be heavy on the Grand Tour album, an album that hasn't clicked for me yet, so I'll hold off on that one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #846 on: February 15, 2022, 06:16:55 AM »
https://youtu.be/HMtgf9Kcdoc

The band have shared an interview with BBT artist Sarah Louise Ewing.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #847 on: February 15, 2022, 12:27:45 PM »
So right after I saw that epic performance of East Coast Racer from King's Place, I immediately ordered Stone's Throw. I honestly can't stop listening to that version of the song. It's become a favorite, if not my favorite, track right now.

I still have to listen to Grand Tour, Empire and Planet. I'm sort of avoiding Empire for obvious reasons. I did notice the last song is East Coast Racer which means David goes out on 'she flies'.

As it stands with what I have listened to so far, Stone's Throw is my preferred live album and Folklore is my favorite studio album at the moment.

I was stuck so long in non-stop metal and it took this band to break me back out into some good old prog. I can't stop listening to them.
I just picked up Stone's Throw as well and that version, and the whole concert are awesome!  East Coast Racer is one of my favorite songs of all time by anyone, its an amazing piece of music!  We're sharing a similar experience (I only want to listen to BBT right now).  Folklore is great, and the most recent album I've been digging into.  Nothing tops EE Full Power for me though.  I just picked up Grimspound but haven't dived into it yet.  That's next!

Offline Kram

« Reply #848 on: February 19, 2022, 09:54:51 AM »
Continuing with my BBT discovery, the latest album I have fully dived into is Folklore.  What can I say, another masterpiece of an album!  EE Full Power is still my favorite, but Folklore is incredible as well.  Such amazing and beautiful songwriting here (The Transit of Venus, London Plane, Brooklands, Telling the Bees, etc.). I hear the stylistic change on this record, but I'm having a tough time putting the differences to words and describing it.  I would say it sounds maybe a bit more modern?  I'm maybe hearing some more 80's influences here, (while TUY - EE is more 70's prog influenced), but I still hear that classic prog underbelly as well.  How would you more experienced passengers describe the stylistic differences?  BBT is probably a top 5 all time band for me now (certainly a top 10) and I've only just scratched the surface of their discography.  Next up is Grimspound.  I will report back after I've lived with it for a bit.

Online HOF

« Reply #849 on: February 19, 2022, 10:06:47 AM »
Continuing with my BBT discovery, the latest album I have fully dived into is Folklore.  What can I say, another masterpiece of an album!  EE Full Power is still my favorite, but Folklore is incredible as well.  Such amazing and beautiful songwriting here (The Transit of Venus, London Plane, Brooklands, Telling the Bees, etc.). I hear the stylistic change on this record, but I'm having a tough time putting the differences to words and describing it.  I would say it sounds maybe a bit more modern?  I'm maybe hearing some more 80's influences here, (while TUY - EE is more 70's prog influenced), but I still hear that classic prog underbelly as well.  How would you more experienced passengers describe the stylistic differences?  BBT is probably a top 5 all time band for me now (certainly a top 10) and I've only just scratched the surface of their discography.  Next up is Grimspound.  I will report back after I've lived with it for a bit.

Yeah, the progression is subtle but there. As the title suggests, there's more of a folk music influence. Songs like the title track and Wassail have a definite 80s/90s Peter Gabriel vibe (which was intentional, at least on Folklore, since they were recording at Real World). I think some of the shift just came as a result of adding Rikard and Rachel to the mix (and Danny Manners I think became the main keyboardist on that for the first time one as well). Lots more violin throughout starting with this record. I think there was also maybe a bit of a conscious attempt not to sound too much like PG era Genesis as well (even while David's voice was starting to take on more of a lower, later day Gabriel type of quality). They didn't totally get away from it though, as Salisbury Giant definitely gives off Apocalypse in 9/8 vibes (which I love).

Offline Kram

« Reply #850 on: February 19, 2022, 03:37:35 PM »

Yeah, the progression is subtle but there. As the title suggests, there's more of a folk music influence. Songs like the title track and Wassail have a definite 80s/90s Peter Gabriel vibe (which was intentional, at least on Folklore, since they were recording at Real World). I think some of the shift just came as a result of adding Rikard and Rachel to the mix (and Danny Manners I think became the main keyboardist on that for the first time one as well). Lots more violin throughout starting with this record. I think there was also maybe a bit of a conscious attempt not to sound too much like PG era Genesis as well (even while David's voice was starting to take on more of a lower, later day Gabriel type of quality). They didn't totally get away from it though, as Salisbury Giant definitely gives off Apocalypse in 9/8 vibes (which I love).
Yes, definitely picking up the folk influence - on at least some of the songs anyway.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #851 on: February 19, 2022, 04:27:41 PM »
My Blu-ray player has been messing up lately, so it finally occurred to me that it's just a dedicated ROM player with a rudimentary CPU and OS, and since there's no way to "reboot" it (powering it down and up again isn't really the same thing) I just unplugged it and plugged it back in again.

It's behaving much better now, so I put Empire in and watched the whole thing again, loudly, in full 5.1 surround.  It's still pretty mindblowing.  I have the feeling that that's not gonna change.

Online HOF

« Reply #852 on: February 24, 2022, 08:44:09 PM »
Some cool things shared by Nick today.

Drum cam footage of Nick playing Master James of St. George at Real World Studios (same performance as from Stone in Steel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sj3xy_oM2c

And Nick's "Groovy Thursday" demonstrating the groove:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPSqBHWbBek

And then here’s the full band performance which was shared by the band today:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1CPVbgfbk3eChU2sVWtgBYA0wP4HWSi2xiAlKGUIfX62y01Wlw7sPP6oY&v=I_0TkCHqTA8&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 09:01:08 PM by HOF »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #853 on: February 24, 2022, 10:25:25 PM »
Been brutally sick since Sunday. Threw on Empire and am watching it for the first time tonight. Beautiful and sad at the same time.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #854 on: February 25, 2022, 09:03:57 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1CPVbgfbk3eChU2sVWtgBYA0wP4HWSi2xiAlKGUIfX62y01Wlw7sPP6oY&v=I_0TkCHqTA8&feature=youtu.be

Holy moly the vocals and drums on this track.  Absolutely mind blowing.  Thanks for posting.

So my sister's celebration of life is in May.  I'm using 'Capitoline Venus' as one of the 2 songs for the video montage.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online HOF

« Reply #855 on: February 25, 2022, 09:49:57 AM »

Holy moly the vocals and drums on this track.  Absolutely mind blowing.  Thanks for posting.

So my sister's celebration of life is in May.  I'm using 'Capitoline Venus' as one of the 2 songs for the video montage.

A wonderful song to commemorate her with! 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #856 on: February 25, 2022, 05:14:18 PM »
So just some random musings on where I am and what I've seen.

Still need to listen to Grand Tour and the new one.

Watched Empire. Beautiful video. David's range seemed a little lower than previous to me. He clearly did not reach the heights on East Coast Racer that he hit on say, the King's Place performance. Dave didn't seem to get much screen time on that one and, good lord, one of his guitars was an ugly modern art thing. Greg is all of a sudden playing pickless. NDV seems to be playing Zildjian instead of Meinl cymbals like in all of the previous vids. A few first time songs in there. Voyager really stuck out. I need to get a listen in to Grand Tour soon.

Dave came across as this stuffy looking British guy who was all business. Then I saw the Stone and Steel video and realized what a teddy bear he is. Then I discover he was in XTC! As I rewatch some of these videos I can catch he isn't stuffy at all. When he has nothing to play you an catch him bopping along like crazy. I also love the sneak looks he takes over at Rikard when Rikard is wailing something off. Cracking these little smiles as Rikard goes nuts. Kind of like a proud papa. And man, can Dave play. The man got a lot of respect from me for his playing and solos. Not flashy, but not boring.

Folklore has only cemented itself more as my favorite album so far. It's just flawless to me. In what might be controversial, I rate the live albums exactly in order of release. East Coast Racer from Stone's Throw is my top song with probably Folklore right behind it. Still early so things can change, but I think those top 2 are probably safe.

Anyway, that's where I am. I was reading the early pages of this thread and I plan on checking out The Difference Machine over the weekend. Seemed a lot of love for that one.

Online HOF

« Reply #857 on: February 25, 2022, 05:24:53 PM »
The Difference Machine is great, but I like all 4 of those pre-Longdon albums a lot. English Boy Wonders is probably my favorite of those, but then Gathering Speed is great too. I’d say start with The Difference Machine and work your way backwards.

Dave Gregory is one of the great, under-heralded guitarists in rock. He has such a unique approach to playing and did so much great stuff in XTC. Has also a lot of stuff with Steve Hogarth, appeared on Peter Gabriel 3, just kind of done a bunch of stuff. He was in another band called Tin Spirits about the time he joined BBT that was pretty good. He was such a huge addition to BBT at the time. Really was such a professional player to add to the ensemble along with Nick and Longdon.

Offline Kram

« Reply #858 on: February 25, 2022, 05:55:02 PM »
I'm a big fan of Dave Gregory's work as well.  It's a shame he's no longer in the band.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #859 on: February 26, 2022, 10:49:44 PM »
Still fighting the flu so haven't spent as much time listening as I'd like. I watched King's Place again. Just veg out on the couch and watch.

I did check out Difference on Bandcamp. I will be picking that up. Dave Meros is one of my all-time faves and he just went bonkers on Perfect Cosmic Storm. Having the rhythm section of the Beard on that track just took it to another level. Looking forward to having that in my hands as Laser CD has in stock.

Online HOF

« Reply #860 on: February 26, 2022, 11:00:11 PM »
Still fighting the flu so haven't spent as much time listening as I'd like. I watched King's Place again. Just veg out on the couch and watch.

I did check out Difference on Bandcamp. I will be picking that up. Dave Meros is one of my all-time faves and he just went bonkers on Perfect Cosmic Storm. Having the rhythm section of the Beard on that track just took it to another level. Looking forward to having that in my hands as Laser CD has in stock.

The first time I heard of BBT was when The Difference Machine came out and it was promoted as including NDV, Dave Meros, and Pete Trewavas. I didn't pick it up at the time, but it put them on my radar and a few years later after The Underfall Yard came out they put a bunch of their music on their website for free download, including The Underfall Yard (title track) and several tracks from The Difference Machine and Gathering Speed. That was the carrot I needed to really start digging in.

Offline Kram

« Reply #861 on: February 27, 2022, 11:06:07 AM »

The first time I heard of BBT was when The Difference Machine came out and it was promoted as including NDV, Dave Meros, and Pete Trewavas. I didn't pick it up at the time, but it put them on my radar and a few years later after The Underfall Yard came out they put a bunch of their music on their website for free download, including The Underfall Yard (title track) and several tracks from The Difference Machine and Gathering Speed. That was the carrot I needed to really start digging in.
Wait, what?  Dave Meros was in BBT?  Pete Trewavas too?  Sorry, I only have The Underfall Yard, Far Skies Deep Time, EE Full Power, Folklore and Grimspound (also picked up A Stone's Throw).  At some of yours suggestion, I started with TUY, and have gone chronologically forward from there, taking my time and really digging into each album.  So I apologize for my ignorance of the bands full history.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #862 on: February 27, 2022, 11:16:37 AM »

Wait, what?  Dave Meros was in BBT?  Pete Trewavas too?  Sorry, I only have The Underfall Yard, Far Skies Deep Time, EE Full Power, Folklore and Grimspound (also picked up A Stone's Throw).  At some of yours suggestion, I started with TUY, and have gone chronologically forward from there, taking my time and really digging into each album.  So I apologize for my ignorance of the bands full history.

Yep, the band's fifth studio album, their last one before David Longdon and Nick D'Virgilio joined the band with The Underfall Yard, featured several guest performers including bass by Dave Meros and Pete Trewavas.

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/discography/the-difference-machine/

I would suggest you at least go back and check out the two albums featuring Sean Filkins as their lead vocalist - Gathering Speed and the aforementioned The Difference Machine. They're pretty good, kind of transitional between their earlier albums but feature some of their best material in the Pre-Longdon era. And if you liked "Brambling" and "The Wide Open Sea" from Far Skies Deep Time, those two songs were from the TDM sessions but were left off the final album. If you get TDM, make sure you get the 2010 release that features 8 tracks.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #863 on: February 27, 2022, 11:36:49 AM »

Yep, the band's fifth studio album, their last one before David Longdon and Nick D'Virgilio joined the band with The Underfall Yard, featured several guest performers including bass by Dave Meros and Pete Trewavas.

I would suggest you at least go back and check out the two albums featuring Sean Filkins as their lead vocalist - Gathering Speed and the aforementioned The Difference Machine. They're pretty good, kind of transitional between their earlier albums but feature some of their best material in the Pre-Longdon era. And if you liked "Brambling" and "The Wide Open Sea" from Far Skies Deep Time, those two songs were from the TDM sessions but were left off the final album. If you get TDM, make sure you get the 2010 release that features 8 tracks.

-Marc.
Thanks buddy for the info.  I will definitely pick this up after I finish my forward discovery.  I can't believe I slept on this band for so long.  I should have gotten into them a good 10 years ago.  Some of the best music I've ever heard.

Reading that link you provided for The Difference Machine - I'm taking "From The Wide Open Sea" is a completely different song from "The Wide Open Sea"?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #864 on: February 27, 2022, 12:05:52 PM »

-Marc.
Thanks buddy for the info.  I will definitely pick this up after I finish my forward discovery.  I can't believe I slept on this band for so long.  I should have gotten into them a good 10 years ago.  Some of the best music I've ever heard.

Reading that link you provided for The Difference Machine - I'm taking "From The Wide Open Sea" is a completely different song from "The Wide Open Sea"?

As the title suggests, "From The Wide Open Sea" features some of the atmospheric elements of the opening of the song "The Wide Open Sea", and is placed on the album as a breather track after the 13:40 long "Pick Up If You're There". On the original release of the album, it also preceded "Saltwater Falling On Uneven Ground", another long song at 12:38.

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #865 on: February 28, 2022, 10:32:37 AM »
Ugh, YouTube and it's recommendations.  :facepalm:

I have the YouTube channel on my Roku which I use mainly for checking out music stuff and trailers for TV/movie's. That's about it. I use an email account that I don't use at all (except for this) to login so it curates things for me based on the things I watch and it generally works pretty well.

Well, I finally do a search on Big Big Train. I watch a few videos there that I had never seen before like Folklore from Loreley.

After I was done, my whole YouTube main page was loaded with 'train porn'. Video after video after video of big, big trains. I mean, they were all over the place. I had to go into the Google account page for that login and nuke the search for the term Big Big Train and then the 'train porn' disappeared.

Thought that was pretty funny. Anyway, ordered Difference over the weekend. One of the few affordable CD's from them. Should be the 2017 re-issue based on the info.

Online HOF

« Reply #866 on: February 28, 2022, 10:35:02 AM »

I have the YouTube channel on my Roku which I use mainly for checking out music stuff and trailers for TV/movie's. That's about it. I use an email account that I don't use at all (except for this) to login so it curates things for me based on the things I watch and it generally works pretty well.

Well, I finally do a search on Big Big Train. I watch a few videos there that I had never seen before like Folklore from Loreley.

After I was done, my whole YouTube main page was loaded with 'train porn'. Video after video after video of big, big trains. I mean, they were all over the place. I had to go into the Google account page for that login and nuke the search for the term Big Big Train and then the 'train porn' disappeared.

Thought that was pretty funny. Anyway, ordered Difference over the weekend. One of the few affordable CD's from them. Should be the 2017 re-issue based on the info.

Oh my! Safe search is your friend.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #867 on: February 28, 2022, 11:36:55 AM »

I don't think they meant actual porn - just videos showing off trains, and lots of them, of all shapes and sizes, makes and models, going slow and going fast, between large mountains and into deep, dark tunnels.

I would suggest, for future searches, use quotations to minimize the risk of key word results. Look up "Big Big Train" instead of just Big, Big, and Train.

-Marc.

Offline Kram

« Reply #868 on: February 28, 2022, 11:49:54 AM »
Try searching Big Big Train then a song title - or BBT and then a song title.  I always put a song title in there as well and never had an issue.

Online HOF

« Reply #869 on: February 28, 2022, 12:21:02 PM »

I don't think they meant actual porn - just videos showing off trains, and lots of them, of all shapes and sizes, makes and models, going slow and going fast, between large mountains and into deep, dark tunnels.

I would suggest, for future searches, use quotations to minimize the risk of key word results. Look up "Big Big Train" instead of just Big, Big, and Train.

-Marc.

Ohhh. There is a lot of enthusiasm for trains out there.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #870 on: February 28, 2022, 01:19:19 PM »
I can attest to the weirdos that shoot train porn. I live by lots of tracks. I can't tell you how many times I see these dudes out there with one or more tripods and cameras just shooting these boring freight trains as they go by. I mean, there was an intersection that I used to cross frequently that had two train lines that crossed each other. I'd see a guy out there and then 4,5,6 hours later drive by again and the same dude is out there just waiting for the trains.

It's a weird obsession. I prefer the Big Big Train obsession I have right now over that other one.

Offline Kram

« Reply #871 on: February 28, 2022, 01:33:45 PM »
I just watched Folklore from Loreley on YouTube after reading ProfessorPeart's report.  Wow, what a performance!  Somehow I haven't seen that one before.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #872 on: February 28, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »
Last year, I put together a YouTube playlist of all the officially released BBT Live Videos from their YouTube channel, if you didn't want to hunt for them. They're in chronological order as well.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcFTq4c-UfVyLHo0NA9iXuY1Pcgy_hJVH

I even made one for their in-studio recordings and music videos! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcFTq4c-UfVy5rQFM5tVzZy6Fd2Re2rVd

-Marc.

Offline Kram

« Reply #873 on: February 28, 2022, 03:07:29 PM »
Last year, I put together a YouTube playlist of all the officially released BBT Live Videos from their YouTube channel, if you didn't want to hunt for them. They're in chronological order as well.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcFTq4c-UfVyLHo0NA9iXuY1Pcgy_hJVH

I even made one for their in-studio recordings and music videos! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcFTq4c-UfVy5rQFM5tVzZy6Fd2Re2rVd

-Marc.
Awesome!  Thanks man.

Offline Kram

Is the full Night of the Prog show from Loreley available somewhere?  I've found several bootlegs, but looking for the professionally shot show like the Folklore video.  Thanks