Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111347 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. RIP David Longdon (6/17/65 - 11/20/21). You'll be missed...
« Reply #630 on: November 20, 2021, 09:17:54 PM »
Oof, typo or a brain fart there. No offense intended, peeps.  Tough day for fans, I get it.  :( :(

Sorry if I came off sounding negative, I've just been having a difficult day processing it all, on top of a friend losing her mother to a 5 year cancer battle as well, it's been a tough day for me.

Even after coming home from 8 hours at work I still feel empty inside from all of this and it really sucks. It's really unfair... the band was just building up momentum, they were set to tour the world next year, and I was planning to save up to see them no matter how far in the US I needed to travel but...now it most likely won't happen.

David was just a shining beacon of hope and love and light in my musical sphere and his vocals, music and words filled me with immense joy. Big Big Train have probably been my favorite band over the last 7 or 8 years since I discovered them and that was mostly due to David's performance as lead vocalist, mutli-instrumentalist, and charismatic front man.

You all here know how big of a fan I am of the band, so it comes as no surprise how hard this has hit me today. Only 1 other musical loss has hit me this hard in recent years and that was Neil Peart, but I was at least partly ready for his passing knowing his health issue, and by then Rush has called it a day, so I had made peace with the end of my first favorite band. But this... it really leaves me empty inside, and is another stark reminder of how fleeting life can be.

"Suddenly, you were gone
From all the lives you left your mark upon"

-Marc.

Right there with you, Marc. So sorry to hear about your friend’s mother as well.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Big Big Train v. RIP David Longdon (6/17/65 - 11/20/21). You'll be missed...
« Reply #631 on: November 20, 2021, 09:29:18 PM »
Sorry to hear marc.

It's not easy, but it's just how life is. Life isn't fair. And we do not know when our time comes. It can be by accident, sickness, or a simple mistake. But Death is part of life.

I experienced three separate types of deaths this past week. My cousin just found his girlfriend unresponsive outside after he went inside for something. My friend lost his mother in a house fire, that's all I know. And then hearing about how David Longdon went...Man what a week to show that nobody is at fault for death and nobody truly knows how one will pass on.

But as Gabriel says in The Astonishing, "When your time has come and you're looking towards the light. All that really matters, is what you leave behind."

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #632 on: November 21, 2021, 09:30:07 AM »
I have Goodbye To The Age Of Steam and The Underfall Yard (the non remix). I decided to find a live video to reminisce and this one just hits more differently now...

Swan Hunter
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kram

« Reply #633 on: November 21, 2021, 11:06:42 AM »
Oof, typo or a brain fart there. No offense intended, peeps.  Tough day for fans, I get it.  :( :(

Sorry if I came off sounding negative, I've just been having a difficult day processing it all, on top of a friend losing her mother to a 5 year cancer battle as well, it's been a tough day for me.

Even after coming home from 8 hours at work I still feel empty inside from all of this and it really sucks. It's really unfair... the band was just building up momentum, they were set to tour the world next year, and I was planning to save up to see them no matter how far in the US I needed to travel but...now it most likely won't happen.

David was just a shining beacon of hope and love and light in my musical sphere and his vocals, music and words filled me with immense joy. Big Big Train have probably been my favorite band over the last 7 or 8 years since I discovered them and that was mostly due to David's performance as lead vocalist, mutli-instrumentalist, and charismatic front man.

You all here know how big of a fan I am of the band, so it comes as no surprise how hard this has hit me today. Only 1 other musical loss has hit me this hard in recent years and that was Neil Peart, but I was at least partly ready for his passing knowing his health issue, and by then Rush has called it a day, so I had made peace with the end of my first favorite band. But this... it really leaves me empty inside, and is another stark reminder of how fleeting life can be.

"Suddenly, you were gone

-Marc.
I hear you brother.  It sucks big time.  Sorry for your friends loss as well.  Hang in there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #634 on: November 21, 2021, 11:39:17 AM »

"Suddenly, you were gone

-Marc.

No worries, man, it's all good.  Very sorry to hear about your friend's mom as well. :( :(

Offline Harmony

« Reply #635 on: November 21, 2021, 03:17:49 PM »
I just learned of this from reading this thread.  What a tragic loss of such a talented man.

I'm absolutely heartbroken for his family and bandmates.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline HOF

« Reply #636 on: November 21, 2021, 03:30:11 PM »
Neal Morse just shared this video of him and Nick performing Telling the Bees at Morsefest. What an appropriate song.

https://twitter.com/nealmorse/status/1462546167544352773?s=21

I was shocked to hear of the passing of Big Big Train’s David Longdon. In 2018, Nick D'Virgilio and I played David’s song Telling The Bees. I’d like to share this and send condolences to Nick, the band and David’s partner Sarah at this sad time.

Edit: Looks like he removed the video shortly after he tweeted. Not sure why.

Edit: New tweet with active YouTube link:

https://twitter.com/nealmorse/status/1462552962484559872?s=21
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 03:50:48 PM by HOF »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #637 on: November 22, 2021, 02:56:57 AM »
I'm absolutely shocked by this and couldn't find any words until now. Although I didn't know David, it almost feel like I've lost a friend. His lyrics and ways of bringing them across always spoke to me in a very special way and his music brought me through many situations. I found out about his passing during a drive from Vienna to the small town nearby where I live. My friend texted me the sad news. Once I came home, I just stood in my apartment alone and had to drink a glass of Scotch and think about what I just learned. I spent the last two days in shock and disbelief.

My above mentioned friend is getting married coming September and we want to play Telling The Bees, because it has always been the couple's "our song". Of course, my friend and his fiancee are devastated as well. Their engagement ring even reads "Telling the bees since [date they met]. I'm sure David knew that his music spoke to many, but still it makes me sad that David will never know now about the profound input he had on my and my friends' lives.

Big Big Train's concert at the Night Of The Prog Festival at the Loreley in 2018 remains one of the greatest things I have ever seen in my life. I feel very lucky that I got to see this incredible band and singer perform from the first row. I even got to meet David before the show and of course he was very nice, took his time to talk to everyone and even sat on the lawn in the back of the venue with a woman (maybe it was Sarah Ewing, I didn't recognize her back then), watching the other artists perform.

I still can't believe this is happening. I'm not sure any other musician's passing touched me as much as David's. Maybe David Bowie and Neil Peart come close. But since David was not a huge international star, I feel like he was closer to me in a way.

I will put on a Big Big Train record every night for the next days.
Goodbye, you incredible musician, and thank you.
I will miss you.

any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: November 22, 2021, 03:31:09 AM »
A very lovely and heartfelt post there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #639 on: November 22, 2021, 09:04:35 AM »
Beautiful words, Fritz. It feels like we’ve lost a friend because the music strikes on such a deep, emotional level, but also because the band have been so open and connected with their fans.

Was glad to see this write up in The Guardian. It’s well researched and thorough, and somewhat unexpected from a major newspaper about someone not especially well known outside the Prog rock community.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/nov/22/david-longdon-frontman-of-prog-rock-band-big-big-train-dies-aged-56?fbclid=IwAR3JWp-Ljity9D5RmpZ1730cbxvJuFUZe-s5aGY2ZiZlN2MxczF_DfRRPT4

Offline HOF

Well first I had to wait for delivery from England and then had to wait until I had an evening to myself to watch it, but it was well worth the wait for Empire. Just a phenomenal performance, recording, and film. It’s astonishing how much the band has grown from their first shows at King’s Place. Notably David Longdon seems so much more confident than in those early gigs.

And boy was his voice in great form. The first two songs I was actually a little worried. He sounded a little horse on Alive and hit somewhat of a bad note improvising on Hedgerow, and I thought maybe he was a little tired as it was the last night of the tour. But he warmed up and by the time Winkie rolled around he was cruising. But boy, he was especially excellent on Voyager and East Coast Racer.

Speaking of Voyager, that’s not a simple song but the whole band blew through it like it was nothing. Just amazing to watch everyone work their craft on the same stage. Nick is amazing, and he just anchors the entire show perfectly. I was also taken by Dave Gregory’s playing. It is so subtle but also extremely inventive and even playful at times. His solo at the end of East Coast Racer to close the show was a thing of beauty.

It seemed like some of the editing was intended to highlight Dave, Rachel, and Danny as this was their last show with the band. What a send off for those three.

My one mild complaint which was somewhat true of Reflectors of Light as well is that the editing captures too little of Greg Spawton. I wonder if that is partly due to his shy and unassuming personality influencing some editing decisions. He’s a wonderful player but not necessarily an experienced or confident one. But I love watching him work and I wish there were a little more of him on this film.

But there’s really nothing but great things to say about this. Go grab it if you haven’t yet.

Life comes at you fast and all that. At the time I wrote this we already knew of Dave Gregory, Rachel, and Danny’s departures, but who could have known back in November 2019 that this would be the last time those three plus David Longdon would share a stage with the band. I haven’t had a chance yet, but I’m planning to revisit Empire soon, and it has already occurred to me how especially poignant that ending to East Coast Racer was. I think that song in general might just be Longdon’s finest moment, and a fitting song for his final live performance.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 10:11:34 AM by HOF »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #641 on: November 22, 2021, 10:21:49 AM »
Very lovely post Fritz, thanks for sharing that. I'm with you in that the only other musician death to have hit me this hard (if not harder) was Neil Peart, if only because Rush has been a favorite band of mine for nearly 20 years now, and Neil was my drumming inspiration when I was learning to play drum set.

Beautiful words, Fritz. It feels like we’ve lost a friend because the music strikes on such a deep, emotional level, but also because the band have been so open and connected with their fans.

Was glad to see this write up in The Guardian. It’s well researched and thorough, and somewhat unexpected from a major newspaper about someone not especially well known outside the Prog rock community.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/nov/22/david-longdon-frontman-of-prog-rock-band-big-big-train-dies-aged-56?fbclid=IwAR3JWp-Ljity9D5RmpZ1730cbxvJuFUZe-s5aGY2ZiZlN2MxczF_DfRRPT4

I read it, and it was nice, except the typo of "The Underfall's Yard". Very well written otherwise. I did not expect a major paper to pick up the story, but perhaps someone at The Guardian is a fan of prog?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #642 on: November 22, 2021, 10:40:46 AM »
I'm absolutely shocked by this and couldn't find any words until now. Although I didn't know David, it almost feel like I've lost a friend. His lyrics and ways of bringing them across always spoke to me in a very special way and his music brought me through many situations. I found out about his passing during a drive from Vienna to the small town nearby where I live. My friend texted me the sad news. Once I came home, I just stood in my apartment alone and had to drink a glass of Scotch and think about what I just learned. I spent the last two days in shock and disbelief.

My above mentioned friend is getting married coming September and we want to play Telling The Bees, because it has always been the couple's "our song". Of course, my friend and his fiancee are devastated as well. Their engagement ring even reads "Telling the bees since [date they met]. I'm sure David knew that his music spoke to many, but still it makes me sad that David will never know now about the profound input he had on my and my friends' lives.

Big Big Train's concert at the Night Of The Prog Festival at the Loreley in 2018 remains one of the greatest things I have ever seen in my life. I feel very lucky that I got to see this incredible band and singer perform from the first row. I even got to meet David before the show and of course he was very nice, took his time to talk to everyone and even sat on the lawn in the back of the venue with a woman (maybe it was Sarah Ewing, I didn't recognize her back then), watching the other artists perform.

I still can't believe this is happening. I'm not sure any other musician's passing touched me as much as David's. Maybe David Bowie and Neil Peart come close. But since David was not a huge international star, I feel like he was closer to me in a way.

I will put on a Big Big Train record every night for the next days.
Goodbye, you incredible musician, and thank you.
I will miss you.

Very nice tribute.  I'm still in shock over this.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #643 on: November 22, 2021, 03:13:53 PM »
4 hours - 2 live gigs from 2019 and 2020.  I've been hitting replay quite a lot. Such a brilliant band and David at the helm is a sight to behold.  I had hoped to see them live in 2022.  At this point it is honestly hard to see how they will continue.  Many are saying Nick should take on the lead vocals.  I just have a hard time seeing that.  At least right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etqsB0l5yOM

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online The Letter M

« Reply #644 on: November 22, 2021, 04:06:06 PM »
4 hours - 2 live gigs from 2019 and 2020.  I've been hitting replay quite a lot. Such a brilliant band and David at the helm is a sight to behold.  I had hoped to see them live in 2022.  At this point it is honestly hard to see how they will continue.  Many are saying Nick should take on the lead vocals.  I just have a hard time seeing that.  At least right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etqsB0l5yOM

Nick could do *some* of the songs, and I'm sure Rikard could as well, but they really need a dedicated frontman for the band, as big as it (usually) is, and I'm not sure I could think of anyone who could replace him. My first thought might be John Mitchell, but I can't imagine him singing the lyrics and words that BBT are usually associated with, but John definitely has the range to do it.

I honestly cannot think who could even replace him, if it even comes to that. If Welcome To The Planet is their swansong as a band, I'd say it's been one hell of a run, especially since 2009 with The Underfall Yard - Nine studio albums, a few EPs, three live albums, several singles, a compilation, and a few live BDs - they've accomplished SO MUCH in just 12 years' time, and it's just so unfair that their momentum has all been lost because of this.

Earlier today, Randy McStine has posted a tribute message on FB, as did Nick D'Virgilio,  both of whom were in the studio together this past week working on stuff and Nick asked Randy to learn "Telling The Bees" on bass for a jam last Thursday, and it was the last song of their jam session. Such a bittersweet thing, I cannot imagine how those closest to David are feeling right now.

What hurts even more is that David was working on a new solo album just before his passing, and it seems it might never happen unless someone releases whatever he had done posthumously.

I haven't listened to anything but BBT and music with David (had my first spin of his 2004 solo album Wild River the other day) since Saturday afternoon, and as much as it hurts, it also helps and heals, hearing his voice and their music.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #645 on: November 22, 2021, 04:56:40 PM »
I have a few people in mind who I think could fit reasonably well into the BBT aesthetic, but it will be impossible to replace everything Longdon brought to the band (and I wouldn’t expect anyone to even try to). Certainly Nick is capable of doing the repertoire himself, and it might be easier to find a live drummer than a new vocalist. Some mixing and matching among Nick, Rikard, and Carly might also be possible. But it might also lose something without a certain Britishness. Honestly I hate to even think about it too much at this point. Whatever the band decides to do will be fine by me though. They already have a remarkably deep and rich catalog that we can enjoy for a lifetime.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #646 on: November 22, 2021, 05:12:45 PM »
I have a few people in mind who I think could fit reasonably well into the BBT aesthetic, but it will be impossible to replace everything Longdon brought to the band (and I wouldn’t expect anyone to even try to). Certainly Nick is capable of doing the repertoire himself, and it might be easier to find a live drummer than a new vocalist. Some mixing and matching among Nick, Rikard, and Carly might also be possible. But it might also lose something without a certain Britishness. Honestly I hate to even think about it too much at this point. Whatever the band decides to do will be fine by me though. They already have a remarkably deep and rich catalog that we can enjoy for a lifetime.

That exactly. As I said above, what they've accomplished in the last 12 years is nothing short of amazing and I think any band, prog or otherwise, would be lucky to have produced such high caliber music in that amount of time, or even longer. I now look forward to WTTP with sadness but also hope, knowing it may be the last Big Big Train album we ever get.

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #647 on: November 22, 2021, 07:11:15 PM »
They are paying tribute to him right now on the seventh house…a show on www.houseofprog.com until 10:30pm eastern.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #648 on: November 23, 2021, 04:38:42 AM »
Nick and Rikard could sing David's vocals live, but it wouldn't nearly be the same. David brought this British gentleman style to the band and as it was mentioned before, Nick and/or Rikard taking over lead vocals would totally take away from the British style of the band. I also sincerely hope that they don't continue with someone like John Mitchell. He is a very gifted musician and composer, but David's vocals were just on another level.

Whatever happens, I think it's still way too early to think about this. The world has lost a great musician and human being. The continuation of BBT is not the only thing important right now.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #649 on: November 23, 2021, 03:12:08 PM »
Sarah Ewing has shared her thoughts in the BBT forum on Facebook:
“I almost wish we were butterflies and lived but three Summer days. Three such days with you, I could fill with more delight than 50 common years could ever contain”
~ John Keats

I am not sure where to begin or what to write. Or even if I should write at all. But the out-pouring of grief has been profound and deeply moving. So I wanted to say something.

To put pay to the rumours, speculation, inaccurate reporting and perhaps to help some of you with your own questions and sense of loss, I can tell you that David had a traumatic fall at our cottage during the early hours of Friday morning. I am not going to share everything which took place. Those intimate details are just for band members, David’s beautiful girls, his Mum and me.  But I will tell you that David left this life being held in my arms on Saturday 20th November.  I told him how much I loved him, that he was safe and that it was time to take the next step on his great adventure.   To be with him during his very last moments is the greatest tragedy and greatest privilege of my life.

I waited all my life for David. He filled up my heart. He was inspirational, thoughtful, kind, generous, gentle, loving and funny. Goodness me, was he funny. We would laugh and laugh every day. He was the best of all men.

He leaves an enormous legacy behind. Not only in terms of his creative output but also the many lives he has touched, the friends he has made and the strong unshakeable brotherhood he shared with Danny, Dave G, Rikard, NDV and of course his dearest Greg.

I know David will always be right by my side. But if I ever feel I need that extra connection, I can always reach for the music. And so can you. Because even though he told us that we will find him in the hedgerow, let me tell you a secret : it’s not true. He’s in the music. That is where you will find him.

Good bye my beautiful boy - until we meet again one day.

X

A very touching message from David's partner.

-Marc.

Offline 425

« Reply #650 on: November 23, 2021, 04:37:46 PM »
I haven't listened to much of Big Big Train's music, but what I've heard I've liked a lot, and David Longdon seems like a very special person as well as a very special musician. A sudden loss of such a life is an immense tragedy.

That beautiful message from his partner begins to give a sense of his importance. It's incredibly hard to write something like that, and she did so well at conveying how special he was even to someone like me who is a novice to his music and of course never met the man.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online The Letter M

« Reply #651 on: November 24, 2021, 10:23:31 PM »
Greg Spawton has shared his thoughts on Facebook:

For David

In 2009, a man called David Longdon walked into my life and changed it completely. Over the last decade or so we shared many adventures together, and now those adventures are over.

Despite his formidable vocal talents and his love of live performance, David’s preferred occupation was as a songwriter. Over the years we developed a friendly (and very productive) songwriting rivalry which spurred both of us on to compose the best songs that we could.

David was an alchemist. He made my songs shine with his extraordinary voice and presence and he drove me on to write better songs. He helped me feel more comfortable on stage and to step forward out of my comfort zones. In every respect he enriched my life and made it for the better.

Many have spoken of David’s exceptional kindness and thoughtfulness. Even more notable to me, however, was his loyalty. He always had my back, and when times were difficult he would be there with the right words at the right time. I loved him like a brother.

David’s world was full of love, his love for others and theirs for him. In particular, his life was hugely enriched by the love of his partner Sarah and his daughters Amelia and Eloise. The strength and fortitude that these three women have shown throughout the harrowing circumstances of the last few days has been extraordinary.

David leaves behind an exceptional body of work. Whilst we do not know what the future will hold, all of us in Big Big Train and in our management team will do everything we can to honour that musical legacy.

Goodbye, dear friend.

Just four days later and I still find myself in shock and disbelief as I spent my morning listening to English Electric Full Power (the 2016 remaster) and this evening listening to Far Skies Deep Time (the 2017 Remaster with all 6 songs). What a stunning body of work Greg and David produced. I'm continually impressed and thankful for the music they have given us in the last 12 years or so.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #652 on: November 25, 2021, 02:55:20 AM »
Great words from the Train's engineman.

I feel like many songs by BBT are about life and what you do with it and the transience of things. Those songs (no matter if they were written by Spawton or Longdon) now gain a new, dramatic, almost somber dimension. I now listen to them with new ears.

On the skyline a lightning blown tree
Weathered and broken
On the water the driftwood breaks free
On its way down the river
To the sea

Offline HOF

« Reply #653 on: November 25, 2021, 08:03:18 AM »
Saw Greg’s post first thing this morning. I’ve been listening to BBT pretty much nonstop since the news, and was going to take a break, but here I am blasting East Coast Racer instead.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: November 25, 2021, 08:06:57 AM »
Heartbreaking post by Greg. I listened to some BBT today ("Hedgerow" and "Uncle Jack").
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #655 on: November 25, 2021, 08:23:18 AM »
Great words from the Train's engineman.

I feel like many songs by BBT are about life and what you do with it and the transience of things. Those songs (no matter if they were written by Spawton or Longdon) now gain a new, dramatic, almost somber dimension. I now listen to them with new ears.

On the skyline a lightning blown tree
Weathered and broken
On the water the driftwood breaks free
On its way down the river
To the sea

This is absolutely right. Listening to Swan Hunter now, and the line “some things aren’t meant to last” hits like a ton of bricks.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #656 on: November 26, 2021, 07:43:04 AM »
BIG BIG TRAIN UPDATE - FRIDAY 26TH NOVEMBER 2021

As we continue to mourn the loss of David Longdon, we have decided not to update the Big Big Train Passengers Club website today. We intend to update the Club again during December.

Tomorrow will represent the one week anniversary of David's passing and I wanted to write to all fans of the band. The word “tragedy” is frequently overused. However, the loss of David is most definitely a tragedy in the true sense of the word. All of us within the Big Big Train world - bandmates present and past, crew, management team, all our business partners and advisors - are devastated that David is no longer with us. Our thoughts and sympathies are first and foremost with David's beloved Sarah and his two daughters, Amelia and Eloise, and David’s mother Vera. The band, crew and management team are pulling together as best we can to provide both emotional and practical support to David’s loved ones.

David's life and myriad achievements have been celebrated already by various of the great and the good from within the music community and in the British national and music press. The outpouring from fans on social media has been truly extraordinary. There have been numerous stunning and beautifully eloquent tributes paid to David, foremost of course amongst them by Sarah herself as well as by Greg Spawton, Nick D’Virgilio, Rikard Sjöblom, Danny Manners and Dave Gregory. At another time I shall write in greater detail with my own memories of David.

It has been both incredibly moving and gratifying, but also terribly sad, to read all of the comments from fans on social media. We would like to thank you all for sharing your memories of David and how he and his music touched you. Please do continue to share these memories. As per the note posted by the group moderators on Tuesday, I would also like to state our appreciation for the highly respectful manner that has been generally adopted in the posts and comments thus far since it was our sad duty last Saturday afternoon to issue the news of David’s passing.

As per our statement last Saturday, Big Big Train's next album Welcome To The Planet remains scheduled for release on 28th January 2022. As with the pause for the Passengers Club, we have chosen to hold off further promotional efforts for the album for the time being but these will resume before its release. In accordance with Sarah’s wishes, our aim is simply to ensure that the album is as successful and heard as widely as it can be. That is how we will help to cement David's legacy and render it even more significant than it already is.

We will communicate further about the future of Big Big Train as soon as we are able to do so, including regarding the band's 2022 concerts. However, in these extremely difficult circumstances, please do not expect any statements for at least several weeks. In the meantime, and however well intentioned it may be, we would be grateful if everyone could please resist the temptation to speculate about the band’s future.

Finally, and pending my own more detailed recollections of David in due course, I offer one brief and simple observation.

Over and above countless references to his consummate songwriting, his boundless vocal and musical skills and his amazing creative vision, there has been a deluge of social media comments attesting to what a wonderful man David was. These comments entirely reflect the man I knew. It was an enormous privilege to serve as his manager and to be his friend.

Rest in peace David.

Nick Shilton, Kingmaker Management

From the BBT Facebook page.

I honestly don't expect any major band updates til the album is released in 2 months, and even then, it'll probably be to say the 2022 tour is postponed at best, canceled at worst. I do think they'll continue as a band but it may be awhile before they do so.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #657 on: November 26, 2021, 08:29:50 AM »
I hope they are able to do some sort of concert in memory of/tribute to David, maybe with guest vocalists or a drummer so Nick can sing. Part of me wonders if the tour was really going to happen due to Covid anyway, so maybe canceling the tour is for the best. I kind of think if and when they do go forward, they need to release an album or two with the new singer before touring again so the new singer can kind of have his own repertoire and not be trying to fill David’s shoes directly.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #658 on: November 26, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »
I hope they are able to do some sort of concert in memory of/tribute to David, maybe with guest vocalists or a drummer so Nick can sing. Part of me wonders if the tour was really going to happen due to Covid anyway, so maybe canceling the tour is for the best. I kind of think if and when they do go forward, they need to release an album or two with the new singer before touring again so the new singer can kind of have his own repertoire and not be trying to fill David’s shoes directly.

That would not be a bad idea, and I can see them trying to do that. Before they started touring with David, they had 3 albums and two EPs under their belt with David at the mic, so I can see them wanting to release at LEAST one studio album with whoever they get to be their new frontman. I am also willing to bet that future albums, if there will be any, will feature more multi-vocalist songs like "Black With Ink", just to give Rikard, Nick, and their new members more vocal spots. But yeah, I agree - taking someone brand new out to tour with BBT when they themselves haven't settled into the band yet might feel a bit rushed, but that's still quite a ways away.

I do wonder if there is any archived material that hasn't been released that they were holding on to, like the supposed Station Masters re-recordings with the post-English Electric line-up performing pre-TUY songs. If any of those were nearly finished, I'd love to see them get released.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #659 on: November 28, 2021, 01:42:28 PM »
Don’t know if this link will work (Facebook links never seem to), but this a post from the BBT Facebook group of Peter Jones performing a version of Victorian Brickwork last Saturday (just after the news about David Longdon broke). I mentioned the other day there were a couple people I had in mind who might be able to fit into BBT as a vocalist, and Peter is one of them. He’s also a gifted writer and multi-instrumentalist like DL was.

https://m.facebook.com/#!/groups/bigbigtrain/permalink/10158671947388668/?m_entstream_source=feed_mobile&anchor_composer=false

Offline Kram

« Reply #660 on: November 29, 2021, 11:12:53 AM »
Not familiar with him but that was quite nice.

Offline HOF

« Reply #661 on: December 02, 2021, 06:35:43 AM »
This is lovely. The band have released a video for Capitoline Venus in tribute to David.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2F8IoXIxfinLP3HuRYpKDpR-WDYOZ1weHtRreSTBsXhRN2eto5wGm8rcY&v=Jm2xJfXDibc&feature=youtu.be

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #662 on: December 02, 2021, 06:56:49 AM »
This is lovely. The band have released a video for Capitoline Venus in tribute to David.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2F8IoXIxfinLP3HuRYpKDpR-WDYOZ1weHtRreSTBsXhRN2eto5wGm8rcY&v=Jm2xJfXDibc&feature=youtu.be

I just saw this too and I'm speechless.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #663 on: December 02, 2021, 07:29:10 AM »

Just saw Nick share it on Facebook. Very beautiful song and touching video, got me a bit teary eyed. I may be a wreck the first time I listen to WTTP.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 09:53:53 AM by The Letter M »

Offline Kram

« Reply #664 on: December 02, 2021, 09:41:36 AM »
A beautiful tribute and a beautiful song - it was hard to watch actually.  He will be sorely missed.  An amazing voice and talent.