Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 110633 times)

Offline HOF

That snowflake/sunset shirt design is pretty cool. Would have made a nice album cover.

Offline HOF

BTW, for Passenger’s Club members, an old demo of Capitoline Venus is among the tracks available to members to stream/download. Greg sings the demo (and I kind of like his voice on it). Will be interesting to hear how much the song has changed.

Offline The Letter M

Tracks times from the Japanese/Belle Antique release:

Part One - 23:48
Made From Sunshine 4:05
The Connection Plan 3:55
Lanterna 6:29
Capitoline Venus 2:25
A Room With No Ceiling 4:54

Part Two - 25:25 (27:54 with bonus track)
Proper Jack Froster 6:38
Bats In The Belfry 4:54
Oak And Stone 7:12
Welcome To The Planet 6:40

Belle Antique Bonus (JP)
Endnotes Overture 2:29

A total of 49:13 (51:42 with the bonus track). Not bad! More new material than I expected from them so soon!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:53:10 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

There’s also a full blog entry on Made From Sunshine and some additional info about the album on the band’s website. Of note, A Room With No Ceiling (written by Rikard) and Bats in the Belfry (written by NDV) are both instrumental tracks.

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/?fbclid=IwAR1ecaQVmMeF-q1X8SP9cZ5Td1P8c6Gw62jbnYTIM2R95wFq0FSo8JOBBwc#songstories

Offline The Letter M

There’s also a full blog entry on Made From Sunshine and some additional info about the album on the band’s website. Of note, A Room With No Ceiling (written by Rikard) and Bats in the Belfry (written by NDV) are both instrumental tracks.

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/?fbclid=IwAR1ecaQVmMeF-q1X8SP9cZ5Td1P8c6Gw62jbnYTIM2R95wFq0FSo8JOBBwc#songstories

I'm very excited about hearing another NDV-penned instrumental! The last 3 have been some of my favorite BBT songs ("Pantheon", "Don't Forget The Telescope", and "Apollo"). Hopefully it also prominently features the brass band!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

The story behind "Lanterna" has been posted on the band's website.

If you're a member of the band's Facebook forum, however, you may have already read how Greg came up with the idea for the song but he also mentions how he considered making "Lanterna" and "Atlantic Cable" one long song beforehand but decided against it and split them up.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

New single "Proper Jack Froster" has been released!

According to a reply on FB, this is a Greg Spawton composition.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

New single "Proper Jack Froster" has been released!

According to a reply on FB, this is a Greg Spawton composition.

-Marc.

Nice! Wasn’t expecting much else to be released before the album release, but it makes sense to get this one out there in time for winter.

Offline Fritzinger

This video has been online a couple hours and only has 144 views, do I see this correctly? BBT is not a huge act, but shouldn't this number be a at least a little higher?

I won't listen to this song, but how do you guys like it?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

This video has been online a couple hours and only has 144 views, do I see this correctly? BBT is not a huge act, but shouldn't this number be a at least a little higher?

I won't listen to this song, but how do you guys like it?

Just gave it my first listen with headphones. Reminds me a bit of some 70s Collins era Genesis, has a really wonderful instrumental passage. The vocal melodies didn’t jump out at me, but maybe with more listens. Has a bit of a “let’s get all the band members in the spotlight for a minute” feel to it. Something that has been a bit of an issue for me since Folklore when the band starting adding more members. That’s a minor quibble at most.

Offline The Letter M

I've listened to it a few times now, as I've also slotted it into my "Christmastime" playlist/compilation of wintery BBT songs, and I've got to say I really enjoy it! Probably my favorite of the four songs released so far from the upcoming album!

I wasn't sure if they were going to release anymore songs once the preorders started, and now I'm wondering if any of the remaining five songs will get released (on December 14th and January 11th).

-Marc.

Offline HOF

Burning Shed has BBT and related releases on a discount right now if anyone is looking to round out their collection:

https://burningshed.com/store/bigbigtrain/big-big-train_sale?utm_source=Newsletter+18+11+2021&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter+18+11+2021

Offline The Letter M

Burning Shed has BBT and related releases on a discount right now if anyone is looking to round out their collection:

https://burningshed.com/store/bigbigtrain/big-big-train_sale?utm_source=Newsletter+18+11+2021&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter+18+11+2021

Nothing I don't already have but I will say, if you haven't gotten the Dyble Longdon album yet, you're missing out. It's a great BBT-esque project and even features some members of BBT on the album.  If you get it, you also have to check out the bandcamp page that features two extra non-album tracks recorded at the same time - "The Daguerreotype" and "Crossbones" - both sold at a name-your-price price (so free, if you'd like).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 02:46:53 PM by The Letter M »

Offline HOF

Nothing I don't already have but I will say, if you haven't gotten the Dyble Longdon album yet, you're missing out. It's a great BBT-esque project and even features some members of BBT on the album.  If you get it, you also have to check out the bandcamp page that features two extra non-album tracks recorded at the same time - "The Daguerreotype" and =https://dyblelongdon.bandcamp.com/track/crossbones"Crossbones" - both sold at a name-your-price price (so free, if you'd like).

-Marc.

Definitely agree with this!

Offline HOF

This is horrible. David Longdon has died in an accident.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/big-big-train-singer-david-longdon-dead-at-56

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh that's absolutely terrible  :'(
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DTA

Devastating news. Horrible for his family obviously, but also horrible for BBT who have basically just lost all momentum they’ve built up.

Offline The Letter M

Just saw the post on FB... I feel speechless and empty inside.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. RIP David Longdon (6/17/65 - 11/20/21). You'll be missed...
« Reply #613 on: November 20, 2021, 11:34:55 AM »
Just an unbelievable loss. Just from the standpoint of the band, they have gone through so much the past two years and now may have to cancel another tour. Not sure how or if they can go forward, but maybe in time. Just a sad sad day. Obviously the loss for his family is unparalleled, but I feel so bad for Greg Spawton. David was a perfect songwriting partner and such a tremendous singer and all around musician. He really allowed Greg to bring his life’s work to a broader audience. Just so saddened by this.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:54:13 AM by HOF »

Offline goo-goo

Re: Big Big Train v. RIP David Longdon (6/17/65 - 11/20/21). You'll be missed...
« Reply #614 on: November 20, 2021, 11:38:06 AM »
Wow. Devastating news that came out of nowhere. Great singer, great songwriter.

Offline Kram

« Reply #615 on: November 20, 2021, 11:48:38 AM »
OMG terrible news.  I'm just beginning my journey with BBT and I absolutely love his voice.  Just another reminder that life is fragile and enjoy each day.  I feel terrible for his family and the band.  My thoughts and prayers are with them all.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #616 on: November 20, 2021, 12:04:12 PM »
I recall he auditioned for Genesis in 1996, just as Ray Wilson did, and Kevin Gilbert was intending to around of the time of his death.
Ironic, this news comes out on Kevin Gilbert's birthday.

Still, very sad to hear, and really out of nowhere.

RIP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #617 on: November 20, 2021, 12:14:02 PM »
Just an unbelievable loss. Just from the standpoint of the band, they have gone through so much the past two years and now may have to cancel another tour. Not sure how or if they can go forward, but maybe in time.

I'm sure this is the last thing anyone in the band wants to think about right now, but honestly, if they called it a day for the band, I would not blame them. If this is it for the band, Common Ground and (from what we've heard of) Welcome To The Planet seem like a good swansong for them. If they plan to continue as a band but cancel their tours next year, I don't blame them either.

-Marc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #618 on: November 20, 2021, 12:15:03 PM »
Not heard a single note by this band, but I read the article, and that is awful. Wow! Shocking.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #619 on: November 20, 2021, 02:20:02 PM »
Not heard a single note by this band, but I read the article, and that is awful. Wow! Shocking.
You should check them out, you may like them.  I just started getting into them a couple months ago and I think they're absolutely fantastic (especially if you like classic Prog).  Here's a taste that gives you a good representation of their sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX3LEHh4QxE

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #620 on: November 20, 2021, 02:35:03 PM »
You should check them out, you may like them.  I just started getting into them a couple months ago and I think they're absolutely fantastic (especially if you like classic Prog).  Here's a taste that gives you a good representation of their sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX3LEHh4QxE

That's some real nice stuff there, thanks Kram. Not exactly in my wheelhouse, but respect and appreciation to this band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #621 on: November 20, 2021, 02:39:45 PM »
What an awful tragedy.  I don't know much about him, as I am a lukewarm fan of Big Blue Train at best, but I know how many like this band.  Just awful. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #622 on: November 20, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »
:(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #623 on: November 20, 2021, 04:46:27 PM »
Shocking. Struggling to process this. RIP, my friend.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #624 on: November 20, 2021, 05:25:59 PM »
What an awful tragedy.  I don't know much about him, as I am a lukewarm fan of Big Blue Train at best, but I know how many like this band.  Just awful.

So much so that you didn't even get the band name right.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #625 on: November 20, 2021, 05:31:40 PM »
English Electric has a general sense of sadness and loss running through it, but as I listen to it tonight even more so. So thankful for what the band accomplished with Longdon in just 12 years. We really don’t know how long we have or what tomorrow will bring.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: November 20, 2021, 05:34:52 PM »

So much so that you didn't even get the band name right.

-Marc.

Emotions are raw, I know, but it would certainly have been accidental. Let's breathe a little.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #627 on: November 20, 2021, 05:46:00 PM »
Oof, typo or a brain fart there. No offense intended, peeps.  Tough day for fans, I get it.  :( :(

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #628 on: November 20, 2021, 06:03:29 PM »
What the fuck. :'(

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #629 on: November 20, 2021, 08:43:14 PM »
Oof, typo or a brain fart there. No offense intended, peeps.  Tough day for fans, I get it.  :( :(

Sorry if I came off sounding negative, I've just been having a difficult day processing it all, on top of a friend losing her mother to a 5 year cancer battle as well, it's been a tough day for me.

Even after coming home from 8 hours at work I still feel empty inside from all of this and it really sucks. It's really unfair... the band was just building up momentum, they were set to tour the world next year, and I was planning to save up to see them no matter how far in the US I needed to travel but...now it most likely won't happen.

David was just a shining beacon of hope and love and light in my musical sphere and his vocals, music and words filled me with immense joy. Big Big Train have probably been my favorite band over the last 7 or 8 years since I discovered them and that was mostly due to David's performance as lead vocalist, mutli-instrumentalist, and charismatic front man.

You all here know how big of a fan I am of the band, so it comes as no surprise how hard this has hit me today. Only 1 other musical loss has hit me this hard in recent years and that was Neil Peart, but I was at least partly ready for his passing knowing his health issue, and by then Rush has called it a day, so I had made peace with the end of my first favorite band. But this... it really leaves me empty inside, and is another stark reminder of how fleeting life can be.

"Suddenly, you were gone
From all the lives you left your mark upon"

-Marc.