Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 110708 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. New studio album Common Ground, July 30th!!
« Reply #420 on: May 10, 2021, 07:54:41 AM »
1. The Strangest Times 5:07
2. All The Love We Can Give 8:05
3. Black With Ink 7:23
4. Dandelion Clock 4:14
5. Headwaters 2:26
6. Apollo 7:50
7. Common Ground 4:53
8. Atlantic Cable 15:06
9. Endnotes 6:48
10. Downstream 3:15 *

Track times from the Japanese release from Belle Antique, which includes the obligatory bonus track!
http://worlddisque.blog42.fc2.com/blog-entry-3383.html

The album proper is 61:52 (and 65:07 for the Japanese edition), which is a bit shorter than Grand Tour, though the songs all seem to be shorter this time around. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

-Marc.

I wonder if there is another BBT track as short as Headwaters. I guess Edgelands might be around that length.

Edit: Edgelands is only 1:25.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #421 on: May 10, 2021, 02:54:19 PM »
Hmm. 
First single a bit average maybe?  Sounds like it comes from the Folklore era.

Offline HOF

« Reply #422 on: May 10, 2021, 03:07:33 PM »
Hmm. 
First single a bit average maybe?  Sounds like it comes from the Folklore era.

Yeah, it’s nothing earth shattering or all the at different from the sound of the last few albums. Will be interesting to see how much different the rest of it sounds since they seem to be suggesting there’s somewhat of a new direction with just a four piece.

Offline HOF

« Reply #423 on: May 21, 2021, 12:51:06 PM »
Very cool blog post that includes a bunch of clips of the band recording a 15 minute epic called “Atlantic Cable.” You have to scroll down to the blog section, but it’s worth it.

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/common-ground/?fbclid=IwAR0H90IV-agloYUQO169RGheUuS6KLQ7dSSC14j8hrN_hEyCFtmSWXHuUmo#blogs

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #424 on: May 21, 2021, 03:18:37 PM »
Very cool blog post that includes a bunch of clips of the band recording a 15 minute epic called “Atlantic Cable.” You have to scroll down to the blog section, but it’s worth it.

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/common-ground/?fbclid=IwAR0H90IV-agloYUQO169RGheUuS6KLQ7dSSC14j8hrN_hEyCFtmSWXHuUmo#blogs

Ah wow some great clips from behind the scenes! It's a bit humbling and funny to see Nick kind of struggle with figuring out drum parts, and playfully cursing out Greg for writing such complicated music!  :lol

Gotta say, though, that overture sounds really good, and I love the key lead that Rikard was putting down.

I also appreciate that Greg says that 15-minute songs are good lengths for telling stories, and I have to agree some of their best songs are in that 12-15 minute range, and I find myself liking songs around that length from most bands.

Just ten more weeks til the new album!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:04:03 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #425 on: May 21, 2021, 04:00:55 PM »

Ah wow some great clips from behind the scenes! It's a but humbling and funny to see Nick kind of struggle with figuring out drum parts, and playfully cursing out Greg for writing such complicated music!  :lol

Gotta say, though, that overture sounds really good, and I love the key lead that Rikard was putting down.

I also appreciate that Greg says that 15-minute songs are good lengths for telling stories, and I have to agree
 Some of their best songs are in that 12-15 minute range, and I find myself liking songs around that length from most bands.

Just ten more weeks til the new album!

-Marc.

Yeah, the song sounds amazing. Maybe a tad bit like Transatlantic even (given the subject matter it would be appropriate!) but it's everything you look for from these guys.

Here is just the Vimeo clip of Nick playing:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/548327685

Greg's clip:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/548349634

Dave Foster laying down a solo:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/548340906

There's more in there and people should read the whole blog, but those are the most exciting to me.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #426 on: June 04, 2021, 12:27:38 PM »
In today's Common Ground blog post, Rikard talks about how he came up with the piece "Headwaters".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #427 on: June 04, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
Last week's clip with Nick developing one of his tracks was also fun. This is a cool way to hype the new album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #428 on: June 05, 2021, 09:48:37 PM »
Last week's clip with Nick developing one of his tracks was also fun. This is a cool way to hype the new album.

I saw that, very great video! And yes, getting these weekly blog updates for each successive song has been a treat, and a fairly unique way to build hype for the album up to its release date. I also like that each blog has been slightly different each time. Some have had long written paragraphs, others include some video, or like this week's update, is JUST a video, with what I assume to be a full performance of the album track by Rikard.

Waiting for this album for the next eight weeks will be a bit excruciating, but I'm sure these blog updates will tide me over for the time being.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #429 on: June 11, 2021, 06:14:02 AM »
https://youtu.be/88HHhbD1vFE

New video for the instrumental song "Apollo". I didn't expect an 8-minute instrumental piece in the middle of the album, but I like it so far! I probably won't listen to it too much so the whole album stays fresh for me when it comes out in seven weeks.

-Marc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: June 11, 2021, 07:13:01 AM »

New video for the instrumental song "Apollo". I didn't expect an 8-minute instrumental piece in the middle of the album, but I like it so far! I probably won't listen to it too much so the whole album stays fresh for me when it comes out in seven weeks.

-Marc.

From press release:

"Apollo" is the second track to be taken from Big Big Train’s forthcoming album ‘Common Ground’ due out on July 30th, 2021 on English Electric Recordings. The new album, recorded during the worldwide pandemic, sees the band continue their tradition of dramatic narratives but also tackles issues much closer to home, such as the Covid lockdowns, the separation of loved ones, the passage of time, deaths of people close to the band and the hope that springs from a new love.

"Apollo" is a seven-minute plus instrumental written by Big Big Train drummer Nick D’Virgilio and will be an undoubted highlight when the band tour in 2022. "When the time came to start coming up with ideas for the next BBT album, I felt very strongly that we should include a quintessential instrumental track. I wanted to write the band’s version of Genesis’s Los Endos and to make a track that really showed off the talent of all the amazing musicians in this band. I knew that the team could totally play anything I threw at them, and boy, did they prove me right! I thought about the unique instrumentation of BBT. We have so many wonderful ‘voices’ to play with and I wanted every one of them in this song. In the big end bit, I can totally envisage the crowd with their hands in the air going back n forth, all of the lights and haze on the stage, the band just absolutely slamming, the crowd singing along with the melody the BBT brass ensemble is playing, until we reach a glorious end.”

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #431 on: June 11, 2021, 07:29:16 AM »
Not gonna listen, but I read in my Progrock Facebook group that it's actually pretty proggy and with a lot of tempo as opposed to the more mellow and slower Grand Tour - which is a big reasons for me to get excited!! Do you guys feel the same about the song as the guys from that group?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

« Reply #432 on: June 11, 2021, 07:35:56 AM »
Not gonna listen, but I read in my Progrock Facebook group that it's actually pretty proggy and with a lot of tempo as opposed to the more mellow and slower Grand Tour - which is a big reasons for me to get excited!! Do you guys feel the same about the song as the guys from that group?

Apollo specifically or the album as a whole?

Loved Apollo on first listen just now. It does have some nice tempo and changes, but also some really nice soaring themes. Very much a classic prog instrumental, but also very uniquely BBT. Nick knocked this one out of the park.

Offline HOF

« Reply #433 on: June 11, 2021, 07:39:10 AM »

-Marc.

I guess that’s two instrumental tracks at least. I’ll hold off on listening again probably as well, but I really enjoyed this one (more than the title track for sure). It’s kind of got everything I love about prog.

Also a nice short clip of Greg tracking bass for this up at The Passengers Club this morning. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:44:55 AM by HOF »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #434 on: June 11, 2021, 07:44:51 AM »

Loved Apollo on first listen just now. It does have some nice tempo and changes, but also some really nice soaring themes. Very much a classic prog instrumental, but also very uniquely BBT. Nick knocked this one out of the park.

Just the song!

-Marc.

I guess that’s two instrumental tracks at least. I’ll hold off on listening again probably as well, but I really enjoyed this one (more than the title track for sure). It’s kind of got everything I love about prog.

Great to hear!

Where did you read that there is another instrumental on the album?

Offline HOF

« Reply #435 on: June 11, 2021, 07:47:00 AM »

Just the song!

-Marc.

Great to hear!

Where did you read that there is another instrumental on the album?

Last week there was a video blog with Rikard playing a short piano piece titled Headwaters, which is kind of a transitional instrumental (a bit like Edgelands or London Stone).

Offline HOF

« Reply #436 on: June 11, 2021, 07:59:59 AM »
There’s also a new blog entry for Apollo with a little more explanation about the creation of the track from Nick, as well as a short video of Nick practicing and recording some of the drum parts:

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/common-ground/

You have to scroll way down to get to the blog section of that page. Can’t link directly unfortunately.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #437 on: June 11, 2021, 10:27:16 AM »
There’s also a new blog entry for Apollo with a little more explanation about the creation of the track from Nick, as well as a short video of Nick practicing and recording some of the drum parts:

You have to scroll way down to get to the blog section of that page. Can’t link directly unfortunately.

Didnt get around to read those blogs until now. Thanks for the reminder HOF ;)

Atlantic Cable also seems to be quite fast and proggy. I love their slower songs as well (Ariel and Voyager are glorious), but I've been wanting to hear some 11/8 instrumental shredding like on Underfall again ;)

Offline HOF

« Reply #438 on: June 11, 2021, 10:33:05 AM »

Atlantic Cable also seems to be quite fast and proggy. I love their slower songs as well (Ariel and Voyager are glorious), but I've been wanting to hear some 11/8 instrumental shredding like on Underfall again ;)

Voyager has that more uptempo middle section, as did Roman Stone (I love the section where Nick goes off underneath the brass). They haven't really done many songs quite as intense as that first portion of TUY though.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #439 on: June 11, 2021, 10:50:17 AM »

Voyager has that more uptempo middle section, as did Roman Stone (I love the section where Nick goes off underneath the brass). They haven't really done many songs quite as intense as that first portion of TUY though.

You're right, they still do that, I'd just like to hear more of it ;)

Since you mentioned Roman Stone: isn't NDV fucking amazing? The things he plays during that brass-section are just insane. He amazes me every time, because he plays that stuff with such ease.

Offline HOF

« Reply #440 on: June 11, 2021, 11:27:01 AM »

You're right, they still do that, I'd just like to hear more of it ;)

Since you mentioned Roman Stone: isn't NDV fucking amazing? The things he plays during that brass-section are just insane. He amazes me every time, because he plays that stuff with such ease.

I love that section. He’s so great. I love to watch the demo videos he does for Sweetwater just to see all the grooves he comes up with. So much fun to see him play. He’s become a top 3 drummer for me, maybe only behind NP for my favorite drummer at this point.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #441 on: June 14, 2021, 04:26:08 AM »
The Pantheon instrumental on Grand Tour is pretty amazing, this one just doesn't have the same impact, and I found myself rather bored by it. No offence to either Rikard Sjoblom or Dave Foster, but this really misses Dave Gregory's signature guitar sound.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline HOF

« Reply #442 on: June 15, 2021, 10:24:44 AM »
New Greg Spawton interview on The Prog Report. Talks a lot about the new album. The big takeaway is that the first half apparently sounds very different from previous BBT material, while the side 2 is closer to BBT's traditional sound. Roie is very glowing about it, calling it their strongest album since English Electric.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/greg-spawton-inteview-common-ground/id778246137?i=1000525610233

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #443 on: June 16, 2021, 06:12:30 AM »
I didn't notice until now that the lengths were posted on here some time ago. Honestly I'm kind of relieved the album is a touch shorter than their recent fare, but still enough of a full-length album to feel like a proper event in listening to it.

Reading the blogs and listening to new interviews and stuff and I'm starting to look forward to it. When the album was announced I was like "Ehh..." wasn't sure if I'd be up for it. But 30 July is still 6 weeks away from now when I'm writing this, so there's tons of time for the anticipation to build up. That and the fact I haven't been on a BBT kick for a little while so hopefully it'll be fresh again.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #444 on: June 17, 2021, 03:10:35 AM »
New Greg Spawton interview on The Prog Report. Talks a lot about the new album. The big takeaway is that the first half apparently sounds very different from previous BBT material, while the side 2 is closer to BBT's traditional sound. Roie is very glowing about it, calling it their strongest album since English Electric.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/greg-spawton-inteview-common-ground/id778246137?i=1000525610233

Looking forward to listening to this tonight after a long day of studying!

Could you guys tell me if there is any new music by BBT in this podcast? I don't wanna hear a single note from this album before being able to hear the whole thing so I don't want any spoilers ;)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #445 on: June 17, 2021, 05:04:27 AM »

Could you guys tell me if there is any new music by BBT in this podcast? I don't wanna hear a single note from this album before being able to hear the whole thing so I don't want any spoilers ;)

Right at the beginning there's a clip from Apollo. 0:00-0:25 and 0:55-1:06, then the podcast ends with a full playthrough of Common Ground from 35:30.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #446 on: June 17, 2021, 05:09:32 AM »

Right at the beginning there's a clip from Apollo. 0:00-0:25 and 0:55-1:06, then the podcast ends with a full playthrough of Common Ground from 35:30.

Thank you  :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #447 on: June 25, 2021, 11:29:53 AM »

A new Common Ground blog post from Greg has been posted, this time discussing the history of the track "Black With Ink".

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #448 on: June 25, 2021, 12:16:12 PM »

A new Common Ground blog post from Greg has been posted, this time discussing the history of the track "Black With Ink".

-Marc.

Love the clip of Greg laying down the bass for this. Also interesting that Nick, Rikard, and Carly all have a lead vocal on this track. Nick also has a lead vocal part on All the Love You Can Give, so it will be interesting to hear the vocal duties spread around a bit more on this album.

Pete Pardo did a nice review of the new album on Sea of Tranquility. Mild spoilers maybe if you're trying to stay away from that sort of thing, but his description of the album really has me really excited.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #449 on: June 25, 2021, 10:45:12 PM »

-Marc.

Love the clip of Greg laying down the bass for this. Also interesting that Nick, Rikard, and Carly all have a lead vocal on this track. Nick also has a lead vocal part on All the Love You Can Give, so it will be interesting to hear the vocal duties spread around a bit more on this album.

Pete Pardo did a nice review of the new album on Sea of Tranquility. Mild spoilers maybe if you're trying to stay away from that sort of thing, but his description of the album really has me really excited.

Could you post a link to this review please? I can't find it  :-[

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #450 on: June 25, 2021, 11:00:36 PM »

-Marc.

A bit of googling "Pete Pardo Big Big Train Common Ground" brought up this, posted two days ago:
https://youtu.be/_157MmFO__0

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #451 on: June 25, 2021, 11:21:21 PM »

Here it is!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_157MmFO__0

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #452 on: June 25, 2021, 11:24:14 PM »

Here it is!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_157MmFO__0

-Marc.

A bit of googling "Pete Pardo Big Big Train Common Ground" brought up this, posted two days ago:

-Marc.

Ninja'd  ;)

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #453 on: June 25, 2021, 11:25:48 PM »
Bah, didn’t check the last page!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #454 on: June 26, 2021, 01:48:47 AM »

-Marc.

-Marc.

I put Commong Ground Pete Bardo Sea Of Tranquility and nothing came up  :lol

Anyway, thank you guys! I'll check it out later today  ;)