Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111102 times)

Offline HOF

And just like that, The Underfall Yard reissue is announced with an April 9 release date!

https://www.loudersound.com/news/big-big-train-announce-new-reissue-of-the-underfall-yard

Bonus disc features re-recordings of the title track (with a new brass intro) and Victorian Brickwork and one previously unreleased song as well. Sounds like it will be pretty amazing!

Track list for disc 2:

1. Songs From The Shoreline: (i) Victorian Brickwork (2020 Version) (ii) Fat Billy Shouts Mine
2. Prelude To The Underfall Yard
3. The Underfall Yard (2020 version)
4.  Brew And Burgh

https://www.loudersound.com/news/big-big-train-announce-new-reissue-of-the-underfall-yard
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 06:27:11 AM by HOF »

Offline HOF

And just like that, The Underfall Yard reissue is announced with an April 9 release date!

Bonus disc features re-recordings of the title track (with a new brass intro) and Victorian Brickwork and one previously unreleased song as well. Sounds like it will be pretty amazing!

Track list for disc 2:

1. Songs From The Shoreline: (i) Victorian Brickwork (2020 Version) (ii) Fat Billy Shouts Mine
4.  Brew And Burgh

Bandcamp has Winchester Diver available to stream or download now. Features some new brass! I’m only listening on my phone but it sounds amazing.

https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/the-underfall-yard-2?fbclid=IwAR1f-RzUSHEAPC2RpDjdmfEfFefut1DgbUr7frYAoDiLem-cplyCvLk2uQ0

Offline Fritzinger

Track list for disc 2:

4.  Brew And Burgh

Bandcamp has Winchester Diver available to stream or download now. Features some new brass! I’m only listening on my phone but it sounds amazing.

https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/the-underfall-yard-2?fbclid=IwAR1f-RzUSHEAPC2RpDjdmfEfFefut1DgbUr7frYAoDiLem-cplyCvLk2uQ0

I actually emailed the band back in 2016 asking if/when they would re-release this masterpiece on vinyl and they told me they planned on doing it in 2019 (for its 10th anniversary I guess). I was getting fed up with all the delays (although they never actually announced anything officially) - but now I'm extremely happy seeing how much work apparently went into this release.

I would have pre-ordered the test pressing, but it's already sold out. I ordered the colored vinyl instead (I guess you guys know me by now and are aware that I'm a sucker for all things vinyl and limited  :lol ).

AND it's coming out on my birthday too! Although I can't imagine it arriving on that exact day, as Burning Shed orders usually arrive the Monday after the release day. Plus, all the Brexit stuff...

Still, very hyped; what a year to be a Big Big Train fan  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

I just preordered the 2CD set. I wanted the t-shirt too but it doubled the shipping costs. Maybe it'll get discounted in the future? If they still have some in my size when I have more money later to spare, I'll pick one up.

Either way this was very exciting news to wake up to!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

New video for The Underfall Yard! Apparently they got Francis Dunnery to redo his solos. I always thought the originals were great but I know some fans thought they were too aggressive/shred for the band’s style. Haven’t listened yet but will soon!

https://www.loudersound.com/news/francis-dunnery-adds-new-solo-to-title-track-of-big-big-trains-the-underfall-yard?fbclid=IwAR3SHjG-wXoTo4wege-dCjBuQyxXHkHLO-nRcoWuB6SGltZJS0DagiKj8po

Offline Fritzinger

New video for The Underfall Yard! Apparently they got Francis Dunnery to redo his solos. I always thought the originals were great but I know some fans thought they were too aggressive/shred for the band’s style. Haven’t listened yet but will soon!

https://www.loudersound.com/news/francis-dunnery-adds-new-solo-to-title-track-of-big-big-trains-the-underfall-yard?fbclid=IwAR3SHjG-wXoTo4wege-dCjBuQyxXHkHLO-nRcoWuB6SGltZJS0DagiKj8po

I have listened to the title track about 2000 times in my life and know every little detail. Listened to the solo only and it's a great solo, but I will have to get used to it. The mix sounds great though.

Offline The Letter M

I have listened to the title track about 2000 times in my life and know every little detail. Listened to the solo only and it's a great solo, but I will have to get used to it. The mix sounds great though.

The new remix sounds amazing, and I cannot wait to get the 2CD album from Burning Shed in a couple of months! I like that they finally went back and segued "Victorian Brickwork" into "Fat Billy Shouts Mine", which was originally intended to feature on TUY but it wasn't completed in time for the album. I'm also excited for the new song "Brew And Burgh"! Hearing the new mix of TUY will definitely whet my appetite for the new album this summer! I'm sure we won't hear anything about it until after the new TUY release is come out. If they're still aiming for a July release, we'll probably get press info on the new album sometime in early or mid May.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

What has me hyped up is that Greg said they are going into a "bit heavier" direction with the new album. I love Grand Tour, but it was very nice and positive - I'd love to hear them explore a little more experimental, proggy and maybe dark territory (again). They did that with The Underfall Yard, and it's still my favorite album by them (and one of my 15 or so favorite albums of all time).

Offline HOF

What has me hyped up is that Greg said they are going into a "bit heavier" direction with the new album. I love Grand Tour, but it was very nice and positive - I'd love to hear them explore a little more experimental, proggy and maybe dark territory (again). They did that with The Underfall Yard, and it's still my favorite album by them (and one of my 15 or so favorite albums of all time).

The Difference Machine is also a bit heavier and darker than most of their albums. Wouldn’t mind them revisiting that sound/style again.

Offline Fritzinger

The Difference Machine is also a bit heavier and darker than most of their albums. Wouldn’t mind them revisiting that sound/style again.

You're right!!

That album is very under appreciated in my opinion, probably because David wasn't their singer yet back then. But in my opinion, Sean Filkins has a very similar voice to David. He still might not come close to David in terms of expression, but then again, who does.

I was never a fan of the earlier BBT albums, but The Difference Machine for me is where the band became great. It's also Nick D'Virgilio's first album with the band (apart from two songs). I think, he is sometimes "forgotten" when the band's development is talked about. David is always the one who's inclusion started the new (and best) era of the band, but I think NDV is just as important for that development. His drive, superb sound and virtuose style are a perfect fit for BBT. I hope he never leaves the band.

Offline HOF

You're right!!

That album is very under appreciated in my opinion, probably because David wasn't their singer yet back then. But in my opinion, Sean Filkins has a very similar voice to David. He still might not come close to David in terms of expression, but then again, who does.

I was never a fan of the earlier BBT albums, but The Difference Machine for me is where the band became great. It's also Nick D'Virgilio's first album with the band (apart from two songs). I think, he is sometimes "forgotten" when the band's development is talked about. David is always the one who's inclusion started the new (and best) era of the band, but I think NDV is just as important for that development. His drive, superb sound and virtuose style are a perfect fit for BBT. I hope he never leaves the band.

Yep, Nick coming on played a huge role in the band’s evolution from more of a (high level) hobby band to a more professional outfit (and then Dave Gregory taking over guitars on TUY was the other big piece). I do think Steve Hughes was a very good drummer in his own right, but he’s not NDV (no one is!).

I also really like those first three albums, with English Boy Wonders being a personal favorite and I think Gathering Speed is on par with The Difference Machine. The first album is a little shaky production-wise, but for a no-budget debut effort it’s pretty remarkable. I actually really like Martin Read’s voice, even if it isn’t well suited for the type of prog BBT has come to be known for. It was a different band back then, and not on the level of the current lineup, but I think they made some cool music. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:03:39 AM by HOF »

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Big Big Train have released a lyric video, directed by Christian Rios, for the 23 minute title track from their re-issued album The Underfall Yard, which will be released on 9th April 2021. The song includes a newly recorded guitar solo by former It Bites leader Francis Dunnery.

“The music of It Bites was a big influence on me back in the day,” bassist Greg Spawton explains. “When we were originally working on the album in 2009, I knew that the title track needed a big guitar solo, so I reached out to Francis to ask if he would contribute a solo. Whilst he was keen to work with BBT, he was going through a stage where he wasn't interested in playing in the fluid, legato style he had mastered with It Bites, so the solo he played for us, whilst great, was different from what I was expecting. Subsequently, Francis has re-connected with the music of It Bites so I thought I would ask if he was prepared to have another run at the solo. He was up for it and has delivered a storming piece of guitar work for this new mix of The Underfall Yard.”

“The Underfall Yard was an important album for BBT and we wanted the re-issue to offer the best possible audio quality,” drummer Nick D’Virgilio adds. “Our sound engineer, Rob Aubrey, has immersed himself in the multi-track recordings and has used all of his considerable skills and experience to deliver a beautiful new mix.”

“Back in 2009 we made what was then a controversial decision to make the whole 23 minute title track available as a free download ahead of the album’s release,” vocalist David Longdon remembers. “Of course, that was before streaming really took off, so it doesn't seem so unusual in retrospect! At the time our decision helped us to get our music heard by a bigger audience, so we thought we would repeat the exercise, but this time with a film to accompany the song.”

“Christian Rios has made a beautiful film for The Underfall Yard,” Greg Spawton continues. “Amongst other things, the song is about Isambard Kingdom Brunel and the great Victorian engineers. Christian wanted Isambard to appear in a specific way in the film and decided there was only one thing for it: he had to don the outfit and cigar himself!”

You can watch the full video for "The Underfall Yard" here:
https://youtu.be/1kcjjs-bkM0

Offline HOF

Another new interview with Greg.

https://circuitsweet.co.uk/2021/02/gavin-brown-takes-on-big-big-train-interview-special/?fbclid=IwAR0kj1lEgBlbey96oTW0R0dp2iqWs8fS37x3mWXUJHAfSD9X2WC9u9XT82k

Highlights:

Confirms the new album is finished and mastered with a summer release but not ready to announce the date yet.

Plan if the July tour dates fall through is to do some sort of live stream instead. He doesn’t sound optimistic that these shows will be played.

Confirmed that the band lost a load of money on the canceled tours and that plus the pandemic essentially lead to Rachel, Danny, and Dave Gregory departing, which is a bummer. Sounds like the band really was on the brink. I’m glad the other four chose to carry on.

Bard is being reissued in a limited run to head off the scalping on eBay but after that it will be deleted and it won’t be available for streaming.

Offline HOF

More cool stuff. The band have launched a new section of the website devoted to the TUY album/reissue. It includes a lengthy interview with Greg part of which was at the time of the original release in 2009 and part of which is updated for the re-issue (it’s hard to follow which parts are which, but there are some references that clue you in).

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/underfall-yard/?fbclid=IwAR1UzttEvh_hqmST0YZpuQOdMl7wIW-4ylTVIH9_2BB_If7cn2GehFBlD10

The story behind Master James of St. George and Victorian Brickwork is one I knew a little about (Greg’s relationship with his estranged father), but cool to see it fleshed out a little here.

Really excited about this re-mix and the bonus material.

Offline The Letter M

An animated film for "Brew And Burgh" has been released!
https://youtu.be/WsS0Fpo4g9k

It's very beautiful, both the film and the song!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

-Marc.

I’ll give this another listen when the CD comes in. Not sure it will be one of my favorites, but it sounds nice enough. I’m not a huge fan of the approach of compiling lyrical phrases from different songs (I think my least favorite BBT song is The Second Brightest Star), but it may yet end up being a nice cap stone for this reissue.

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.

I’ll give this another listen when the CD comes in. Not sure it will be one of my favorites, but it sounds nice enough. I’m not a huge fan of the approach of compiling lyrical phrases from different songs (I think my least favorite BBT song is The Second Brightest Star), but it may yet end up being a nice cap stone for this reissue.

I mean if there is one thing I find them guilty of, it's reusing a lot of the same language and words in their songs - hedgerow, shoreline, meadow, anything relating to steam or trains, anything relating to birds or other insects. There are a lot of phrases that reused a lot as well. Maybe it's just their way of writing and creative a sort of cohesive identity between some of their songs. I don't mind that as much, especially if there is a meta-textual connection between these various songs across several albums.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

-Marc.

I mean if there is one thing I find them guilty of, it's reusing a lot of the same language and words in their songs - hedgerow, shoreline, meadow, anything relating to steam or trains, anything relating to birds or other insects. There are a lot of phrases that reused a lot as well. Maybe it's just their way of writing and creative a sort of cohesive identity between some of their songs. I don't mind that as much, especially if there is a meta-textual connection between these various songs across several albums.

-Marc.

This is true. I don’t mind a few repeat themes or phrases here and there. Those are fun and do lend a certain coherence to their different songs and albums. It’s more when you just string those phrases together that it seems a little uninspired I guess. Like a clip episode on a TV show. That said, I’m reserving further judgment until I give the song more listens.

Offline HOF

So this is release day, but I won't be getting the CD for a little while it appears. I took a chance on the band's new US distributor, The Band Wagon USA, but there was a delay in them getting their stock so it hasn't shipped yet. Probably no worse off than if I'd ordered from from Burning Shed though.

New Passenger's Club update today has an all instrumental mix of Brew & Burgh, and I have to say I really enjoyed that more than the version with vocals. Might just be that I gave it a closer listen though. Still waiting until my CD arrives to revisit the album version.

For anyone who hasn't joined The Passenger's Club, there really is a ton of music available for the $50 a year subscription (I think that's about right with the pound to dollar conversion). I've got around 26 tracks that I've downloaded so far, which are mostly demos and early versions, but there are also some totally unreleased tracks that are worth having if you're a completist. They've just in the last month or so released a full set of demos for The Underfall Yard which give a nice view of how that album developed. There are also exclusive videos, photos, and blogs and such to make it worth your while.

Offline HOF

So the TUY reissue was number 1 in the UK rock charts this week!

https://m.facebook.com/#!/bigbigtrain/photos/gm.10158263908338668/3966052776793696/?type=3&source=48

My copy is still held up in customs or something, but the band gave a free Bandcamp download to everyone who ordered from The Bandwagon USA. I checked out the bonus disc yesterday but I’m gonna hold out for the CD to listen to the actual album. Initial thoughts are they didn’t need to touch Victorian Brickwork and I wish Fat Billy were a separate track, but the The Underfall Yard re-recording seems to have some nice added energy that the original lacked in the second half. I also enjoyed Brew & Burgh quite a bit.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:59:42 AM by HOF »

Offline The Letter M

My copy arrived yesterday! Gonna rip it and give it a spin this weekend. I haven't been in a BBT mood since last year (as I've been locked into Transatlantic/LTE mode for a couple months now), but this will surely bring me back to BBT.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

My copy arrived yesterday! Gonna rip it and give it a spin this weekend. I haven't been in a BBT mood since last year (as I've been locked into Transatlantic/LTE mode for a couple months now), but this will surely bring me back to BBT.

-Marc.

Marc, you are a legit BBT fanboy  :lol

Looking forward to hearing your opinion about the new version!

I'm still waiting on my 3x12". Vinyl has been postponed to the end of April (well, who wasn't expecting that, after it was originally to be release sometime in 2019...).

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.

Marc, you are a legit BBT fanboy  :lol

Looking forward to hearing your opinion about the new version!

I'm still waiting on my 3x12". Vinyl has been postponed to the end of April (well, who wasn't expecting that, after it was originally to be release sometime in 2019...).

Yeaaaah, when I fell for BBT, I fell hard, but thankfully I discovered them at a time where I could easily order their back catalog and not pay insane prices on the secondary market for some of them. I've got pretty much everything but Bard and the pre-debut demo albums (which were always insanely expensive), but Bard should be getting a re-issue at some point last I heard.

Also, I just ordered the last available copy of the Japanese SHMCD version of The Underfall Yard from CDJapan. After seeing some folks post theirs with Summer's Lease and the Japanese version of Grand Tour, I felt compelled to get it. It also comes with 2 bonus tracks as well so it'll be worth it IMO.

I'll shall be diving into the remix/remaster later today and I'll be sure to post my thoughts after a spin or two.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

I'm kind of glad mine was delayed, because LTE 3 just came in yesterday so I'm not getting my attention divided between two new releases.

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/eqkPY27lZVM

So between my CD Rip, Bandcamp, and the above YouTube link, at around 8:45-9:15 in the song, I hear some static noise, mostly prevalent during the horn solo. Folks in the BBT FB group have told me they don't hear it but that I may also have better hearing than they do.

Does anyone else hear noise during that part, as well as during the endnof VB into the beginning of FBSM, mostly echoing off the opening piano part around 12:34.

I hope I'm not going crazy here!

-Marc.

Offline goo-goo

I hear the hiss you say but I can hear all the way to the 12 min mark when the acoustic/quiet part comes in. Die to the length, I want to believe it was intentional, maybe a weird keyboard sample or some weird instrument that David threw in there.

Offline HOF

I’m hearing a faint vibrating or static noise with one of the brass instruments in that section. What I think it might be is some other object in the room resonating with the horns and the mic picking it up. Not sure I would notice it without headphones (or without looking out for it).

Offline The Letter M

I’m hearing a faint vibrating or static noise with one of the brass instruments in that section. What I think it might be is some other object in the room resonating with the horns and the mic picking it up. Not sure I would notice it without headphones (or without looking out for it).

What's weird is that I've heard it from my cell phone speakers, not headphones or a sound system (home, TV, or car). It's the only blemish on an otherwise flawless record.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

Title track from the new album just dropped by the band on Spotify (feels weird to say that about BBT!).

Common Ground:

https://open.spotify.com/track/61M6By1M6KLuSczxeVec5v?si=rtxRhOzaSdGaeogzN8A0XA&fbclid=IwAR224_DUBRh8ssflkhb8usPmtf8YdV66DpvzL7vMSSCN1C2PAFeHgbyDIxY&nd=1

Announcement about the new album appears to be coming tomorrow morning (Friday).

Edit: July 30 release date!

First thoughts: I like the sound of this, the instrumentation is nice (wonder who’s playing violin). Vocal harmonies are great. Was trying to think what the chorus made me think of, and it’s Seal’s Kiss From a Rose, LOL!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:10:33 PM by HOF »

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/B1aglun-rx8

YouTube link for those without Spotify.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

Pre-orders are up at Burning Shed.
https://burningshed.com/store/bigbigtrain

The album’s nine pieces include the beautiful title track - and first single - Common Ground, the dazzling instrumental Apollo, the zeitgeist capturing The Strangest Times, and the stunning 15 minute epic Atlantic Cable.

In addition to BBT songwriters and core members David Longdon (lead vocals), Gregory Spawton (bass), Rikard Sjöblom (guitars, keyboards, vocals) and Nick D’Virgilio (drums, vocals), the album also features Carly Bryant (keyboards, vocals) and Dave Foster (guitars) plus a guest appearance from violinist Aidan O’Rourke of Scottish Folk pioneers Lau.

The album was recorded during 2020 at Peter Gabriel’s Real World studios as well as in other studios in the UK, the USA and Sweden.

1. The Strangest Times
2. All The Love We Can Give
3. Black With Ink
4. Dandelion Clock
5. Headwaters
6. Apollo
7. Common Ground
8. Atlantic Cable
9. Endnotes

Also, here is the proper promo video for the single!
https://youtu.be/wIQnhCcI4gA

Already pre-ordered the CD! Cannot wait to get this one. Grand Tour was one of my absolute favorite albums of 2019, and BBT never disappoint, so Common Ground is sure to be one of my favorites of 2021, even after a year that includes new Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Experiment, and Frost*.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

New album page on the BBT website with lots of info and a blog entry from David here:

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/common-ground/?fbclid=IwAR2K1hA7d06y_9G7oRNl8RHHtUpaoEyDz3GCOurFRIi4hktmsB5rtdGBbis

I like the sound of this:

Common Ground finds the band taking in wider musical and lyrical inspiration from artists such as Elbow, Pete Townshend, Tears For Fears, Elton John and XTC, as well as acknowledging their more progressive roots

XTC came to mind a bit on the verses of the title track. This is also interesting:

Common Ground (the album) was recorded in most extraordinary times. We decided to make the album based principally around our new four piece status. The slimming down of the line up had presented us with an opportunity of trying out some different ideas and reinventing ourselves. Nick has written some music for the album and Rikard has taken on the lion’s share of keyboard and guitar duties throughout. I too have played acoustic guitars and keyboards on the album.

I don't hear a huge shift in sound or style on the title track, but I do like the idea of them streamlining things a bit with fewer cooks in the kitchen so to speak.

Offline DTA

Very cool. I really enjoyed Grand Tour after being a bit burnt out with them with the entire Folklore/Grimspound/Second Brightest Star trilogy so I'm hoping this one maintains my high interest level.

Offline HOF

Very cool. I really enjoyed Grand Tour after being a bit burnt out with them with the entire Folklore/Grimspound/Second Brightest Star trilogy so I'm hoping this one maintains my high interest level.

I don't dislike any of those three releases (in fact I love most of Folklore and Grimpsoud), but I do think there is an amazing double album that you could compile from those three if you dropped some of the lesser material.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. New studio album Common Ground, July 30th!!
« Reply #419 on: May 10, 2021, 07:09:12 AM »
1. The Strangest Times 5:07
2. All The Love We Can Give 8:05
3. Black With Ink 7:23
4. Dandelion Clock 4:14
5. Headwaters 2:26
6. Apollo 7:50
7. Common Ground 4:53
8. Atlantic Cable 15:06
9. Endnotes 6:48
10. Downstream 3:15 *

Track times from the Japanese release from Belle Antique, which includes the obligatory bonus track!
http://worlddisque.blog42.fc2.com/blog-entry-3383.html

The album proper is 61:52 (and 65:07 for the Japanese edition), which is a bit shorter than Grand Tour, though the songs all seem to be shorter this time around. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 07:15:19 AM by The Letter M »