Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 109239 times)

Online The Letter M

My copy of Summer’s Lease arrived. Listening now and my goodness does it sound good. Even on my computer speakers. Diving into the reworked London Song now.

Is London Song a newly recorded piece connecting all the songs or is it just the individual songs stacked together with fade-ins/outs?

London Songs is a compilation of the individual tracks about London which they released as a download a few years ago but didn’t re-record any of it or add to those tracks. For Summer’s Lease they’ve added some musical interludes to connect the different songs which weren’t on the previous version. I’m only through the first interlude (which worked nicely I’ll add) so can’t really comment more than that!

This is correct! All the songs now have proper musical segues between them so the flow is pretty seamless, IMO, and all the little touches add so much to the over-all suite.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

I’m glad they included Brave Captain in this set. The mix on Grimspound has never sounded right to me (especially during the instrumental section). Was too bottom heavy and seemed like the drums especially got squashed. Sounding good on this release though.

Pretty much the only BBT song I’ve felt that way about. Rob Aubrey’s recording/mixing is almost always flawless.

Online HOF

Also, having heard the new mix/keyboards on Expecting Snow, I really hope they rework the whole Goodbye to the Age of Steam album in that fashion. Probably won’t happen, but I love that one and think more people would enjoy it if they updated the keyboard sound. I actually really love Martin Read’s voice so they don’t have to redo the vocals, but it would be kind of cool to have Nick sing lead on some of those songs. Think his voice might fit better than Longdon’s in some ways.

Online HOF

Offline majo

They should rebrand as Little Little Train now.
:lol
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Online HOF

First day of recording for the next album, per the band on Facebook. Appear to be going for a binaural effect (at least for the brass band!).

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/bigbigtrain/photos/pb.203751903023821.-2207520000../3493677000697945/?type=3

Online The Letter M

First day of recording for the next album, per the band on Facebook. Appear to be going for a binaural effect (at least for the brass band!).

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/bigbigtrain/photos/pb.203751903023821.-2207520000../3493677000697945/?type=3

Saw that and other pics posted earlier today. Looks like Greg was taking pics for the album booklet as well, or promotional images for the album at any rate. I wonder if all the writing has been done? Nick hasn't said if he's recorded his drums parts yet, but I recall either Greg or David saying they were planning on having Nick and Rikard come to Real World to record their parts as well, but I may be wrong about that, or perhaps those plans changes and they'll just have them record their parts in their own home studios.

Either way, I wonder if the brass band finishing their parts means the album is almost done, or if they were just some of the first parts to get done for the album. Either way, it will be a contender for AOTY for 2021 for sure, especially since so many bands I like released albums THIS year, there can't be too many for 2021 (Steven Wilson, Dream Theater, and Transatlantic are the only ones that come to mind).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

Saw that and other pics posted earlier today. Looks like Greg was taking pics for the album booklet as well, or promotional images for the album at any rate. I wonder if all the writing has been done? Nick hasn't said if he's recorded his drums parts yet, but I recall either Greg or David saying they were planning on having Nick and Rikard come to Real World to record their parts as well, but I may be wrong about that, or perhaps those plans changes and they'll just have them record their parts in their own home studios.

Either way, I wonder if the brass band finishing their parts means the album is almost done, or if they were just some of the first parts to get done for the album. Either way, it will be a contender for AOTY for 2021 for sure, especially since so many bands I like released albums THIS year, there can't be too many for 2021 (Steven Wilson, Dream Theater, and Transatlantic are the only ones that come to mind).

-Marc.

Greg has said in the Passenger’s Club that they have already written 70+ minutes of music for the album. I remember him saying they were going to get everyone together to record as well, but I’m not sure if it’s even possible for that to include Nick due to travel restrictions. I guess they decided to start with the brass band, because they’ve been saying recording would start in November.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Today, the band are pleased to share the video for "The Florentine" taken from the live set, which you can see here:
https://youtu.be/esEmrZbPYas

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
"When I wrote The Florentine, it was written as a song that would enable Nick to step out from behind his drum kit and join me, singing together in close harmony at the front of the stage,” David Longdon says. “BBT has several singers within the ranks and I was keen to write layered harmony vocal sections too. Here we are performing The Florentine live at the final concert of our first UK tour."

“The Florentine is yet another reason why I just love being in Big Big Train!” Nick D’Virgilio adds. “Not only did David write a beautiful vocal that allowed me to come forwards and sing alongside him, but he also wrote a cracking second half of the song that is a total blast to play drums on  - the best of both worlds in my humble opinion. We all had so much fun at the gig at the Hackney Empire and everyone in the band was on fire that night.”

Watch the previously released video for "Winkie" from Empire here:
https://youtu.be/m02Do2ShXvI

Empire is available as a Blu-ray/2CD set and is available for pre-order here:
https://burningshed.com/big-big-train_empire_2cd_blu-ray

Tracklisting:

Blu-ray
1) Novum Organum
2) Alive
3) Hedgerow
4) Theodora in Green and Gold
5) Winkie
6) The Florentine
7) Brave Captain
8) Voyager
9) Homesong
10) Wassail
11) Engines and Men
12) East Coast Racer

CD 1
1) Novum Organum
2) Alive
3) Hedgerow
4) Theodora in Green and Gold
5) Winkie
6) The Florentine
7) Brave Captain

CD 2
1) Voyager
2) Homesong
3) Wassail
4) Engines and Men
5) East Coast Racer

Unknown to the band at the time, Empire also memorialises the last Big Big Train concert to feature guitarist Dave Gregory, violinist Rachel Hall and keyboardist Danny Manners. While Dave Gregory’s departure from Big Big Train was announced in March this year, Rachel Hall and Danny Manners have also recently decided the leave the band.

“Every night of our first ever UK tour was special, but playing the Hackney Empire was particularly memorable. It is now additionally poignant as our last full show with Dave, Danny and Rachel,” BBT bassist Gregory Spawton comments. “We’re thrilled by the work that Tim Sidwell and his team and Rob Aubrey have done. We remain proud of our two previous concert films, but visually and sonically Empire represents another step forward and is a great way to mark the end of a particular era for BBT.”

“Over the three decades of the band’s existence, Big Big Train’s line-up has seen plenty of comings and goings,” Gregory Spawton continues. “We fully respect the decisions that Danny and Rachel have reached. While we will miss them personally, equally we are intrigued about how BBT will evolve further as we enter a new phase in our career. David, our drummer Nick D’Virgilio, our guitarist/keyboardist Rikard Sjöblom and I have already written a new BBT studio album and will be going into the studio later in the autumn with as a core quartet to record it. We’re aiming to release it before next summer in time for our next live shows.”

For those 2021 live shows, Big Big Train are delighted to announce that keyboardist Carly Bryant and guitarist Dave Foster will join the BBT live band, with the identity of a new violinist to be announced soon.

Following the cancellation of Big Big Train’s July 2020 UK/European tour due to the coronavirus pandemic, the following dates have been re-arranged for 2021:

Saturday 17 July - Ramblin’ Man Festival, Kent, UK
Sunday 18 July – Friars, Aylesbury, UK

Further dates will be announced in due course.

BIG BIG TRAIN online:
www.bigbigtrain.com
https://www.facebook.com/bigbigtrain/
https://twitter.com/bigbigtrain

Online HOF

That performance of The Florentine is tremendous (it was briefly released a few months back for the Ramblin’ Man Fair or whatever that was). Really shows off the strengths of everyone in the band.

Online The Letter M

-Marc.

Greg has said in the Passenger’s Club that they have already written 70+ minutes of music for the album. I remember him saying they were going to get everyone together to record as well, but I’m not sure if it’s even possible for that to include Nick due to travel restrictions. I guess they decided to start with the brass band, because they’ve been saying recording would start in November.

Ahh wow, 70 minutes? I may have read that on the PC page, but I guess I forgot. I don't think Nick will be able to travel to Real World studios to record either, but hopefully they don't mind if he records at Sweetwater.

That performance of The Florentine is tremendous (it was briefly released a few months back for the Ramblin’ Man Fair or whatever that was). Really shows off the strengths of everyone in the band.

It was great to watch that performance once again. I am beyond excited for this live set, especially with six Grand Tour songs being featured! It's been quite the year for BBT, with a lot of related releases, and a big shake-up in the line-up, but I think moving forward, they've got a lot going on for them.

There was also news that they plan to expand their English Electric Records label and publish more albums from other artists, at least, I think that's what I read last week. There's a lot going on in the BBT station, so much to look forward to!

-Marc.

Online HOF

So the mods over on the BBT Facebook page just posted the most specific release date info I’ve seen:

https://m.facebook.com/#!/groups/bigbigtrain/permalink/10157910070148668/

The Underfall Yard re-issue in March, and “on target” for the new album release in June/July 2021.

I had been worried that the new UK shutdown might stop work on the new album altogether, but sounds like they’ll be able to keep going.

Online The Letter M

So the mods over on the BBT Facebook page just posted the most specific release date info I’ve seen:

https://m.facebook.com/#!/groups/bigbigtrain/permalink/10157910070148668/

The Underfall Yard re-issue in March, and “on target” for the new album release in June/July 2021.

I had been worried that the new UK shutdown might stop work on the new album altogether, but sounds like they’ll be able to keep going.

Saw that this morning. An early summer release sounds good for me, seems like they're giving themselves plenty of time to get it done. I assume all the writing is finished, so they'll probably finish recording it by the end of the year, then spend a couple of months going over the mix and doing overdubs and final touches, then get it mastered and pressed by May/June. With that timeline, I suspect we'll get solid info and the first press release by March, just in time for my birthday!

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

::)

The Underfall Yard reissue was initially supposed to come out in 2019, now it's 2020 and now they're saying it's coming out next year. What could possibly be taking so long?
any rock can be made to roll

Online HOF

The Underfall Yard reissue was initially supposed to come out in 2019, now it's 2020 and now they're saying it's coming out next year. What could possibly be taking so long?

I believe it will include some re-recorded tracks that were done this year, and they also did a 5.1 mix I believe. I think it took on a bigger scope than just a remix/remaster as originally planned.

Online The Letter M

I believe it will include some re-recorded tracks that were done this year, and they also did a 5.1 mix I believe. I think it took on a bigger scope than just a remix/remaster as originally planned.

I believe that is the plan from what I recall reading.

I also think they may have pushed the TUY re-issue back a couple of times because they were preparing for touring in 2019, so that might have taken up all that time, and so they postponed it to 2020, but then 2020 tours were booked, and subsequently canceled, so that may have put a wrench in their scheduled plans. With the pandemic still going on, I think Greg may have finally buckled down and worked on it some more with Rob (Aubrey) and now have a more definitive release plan for it, so hopefully, with no further delays, we will get it next Spring.

At any rate, it looks like 2021 will be another big year for the Big Big Train!

-Marc.

Online HOF

New interview with David Longdon. He talks a little bit about the changes in the band lineup and how that will impact the new material. He talks about them trying to “embrace the change” and use it as an opportunity to maybe go in a little different direction (“but not ridiculously so”). Sounds good to me. He also notes he and Greg are recording now/have been recording at Real World, but of course Nick and Rikard aren’t able to be there. Sounds like they’ll be recording on their own/working remotely on the album. I’m pretty excited to see what new directions they might go in.

https://progreport.com/david-longdon-big-big-train-interview-empire/

Also got my shipping notification from Burning Shed for Empire today. Not sure what the odds are that it gets here from the UK by Friday, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Online The Letter M

New interview with David Longdon. He talks a little bit about the changes in the band lineup and how that will impact the new material. He talks about them trying to “embrace the change” and use it as an opportunity to maybe go in a little different direction (“but not ridiculously so”). Sounds good to me. He also notes he and Greg are recording now/have been recording at Real World, but of course Nick and Rikard aren’t able to be there. Sounds like they’ll be recording on their own/working remotely on the album. I’m pretty excited to see what new directions they might go in.

https://progreport.com/david-longdon-big-big-train-interview-empire/

Also got my shipping notification from Burning Shed for Empire today. Not sure what the odds are that it gets here from the UK by Friday, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Got that email notification this morning as well. My typical ship time from Burning Shed is typically a week, so I don't expect to get mine until next Monday, especially with the holiday weekend, I'm sure it'll take an extra day or two to travel once it gets into the US, but if it arrives before the weekend, I'll be surprisingly happy!

Anytime I hear about the new BBT album, I get excited for what might be my AOTY for 2021 (though that depends on what Transatlantic's The Absolute Universe has to offer). I grow more curious as to what a four-man BBT might have to offer in terms of writing and performance!

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

Happy release day for Empire! The band have released a music video for "Hedgerow" on YouTube, and it's a damn fine performance too! Cannot wait to get my set in the mail!

-Marc.

Online HOF

Happy release day for Empire! The band have released a music video for "Hedgerow" on YouTube, and it's a damn fine performance too! Cannot wait to get my set in the mail!

-Marc.

Waiting for the mail to come today before I watch the Hedgerow vid. If no Empire, I’ll allow myself a sneak preview.

Online The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. Merry Christmas (New Single out on December 8th!!!)
« Reply #371 on: December 01, 2020, 12:00:27 AM »
After ten days, I still find myself listening to the two new songs nearly every day, sometimes a few times each day. At work, I began a mini-EP version of the album on my playlist, which adds a few more holiday/Christmas-time or sounding songs after the single proper.

Merry Christmas
Snowfalls
Meadowland
British Racing Green
Wassail
The Second Brightest Star
A Mead Hall In Winter

I initially didn't include Meadowland or TSBS, but several fellow Passengers (what we call BBT fans in the BBT group on facebook) suggested those two tunes, and I was OK with adding at least Meadowland given its lyrical/musical connection to AMHIW. With TSBS, the mellow feel of the song definitely feels wintery to my ears, so it was a fine addition.

Snowfalls is a typical BBT song which every fan will love. The ending is stunning.

I know, right?! The ending of Snowfalls is astonishing, one of my favorite musical moments in any new song I've heard this year!

-Marc.

It's December, so its time to bring back my Holiday/Winter BBT Playlist but this time, I've added two more tracks!

Merry Christmas
Snowfalls
Meadowland
British Racing Green
Expecting Snow (from Summer's Lease)
Wassail
The Second Brightest Star
Don't Forget The Telescope (from Summer's Lease)
A Mead Hall In Winter

"Expecting Snow" seemed like a no-brainer to add, and while I was at it, I threw in the new instrumental from the Summer's Lease Compilation album, just to give me more chances to listen to it outside of the Compilation album. It brings the playlist up to 56:24, so pretty much an album in its own right!

-Marc.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Mine arrived on Friday, an unexpected surprise because I'd forgotten about it! Listened to it over the weekend, I shouldn't have to say it's brilliant, because it's BBT and that goes without saying. While I'm stoked for new music next year, Dave, Rachel and Danny will be sorely missed.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online The Letter M

Watched the Empire BD tonight, and WOW, what another breathtaking concert video from BBT. The sound and video are pretty flawless and everyone is performing their hearts out!

While this setlist does have a bit of overlap with their previous live albums, the amount of never-before-released-live material is worth it. So glad to be able to add this one of my BBT collection!

-Marc.

Offline utopiarun

I just watched The Florentine and Hedgerow and got chills, this band is so good. I wish someday they can make it to the US. And how damn great is NDV? He just shines in everything he does, not flashy, just does the job every time so well!

Online HOF

I just watched The Florentine and Hedgerow and got chills, this band is so good. I wish someday they can make it to the US. And how damn great is NDV? He just shines in everything he does, not flashy, just does the job every time so well!

Nick is just an absolute pro. He’s so much fun to watch work.

Online HOF

Well first I had to wait for delivery from England and then had to wait until I had an evening to myself to watch it, but it was well worth the wait for Empire. Just a phenomenal performance, recording, and film. It’s astonishing how much the band has grown from their first shows at King’s Place. Notably David Longdon seems so much more confident than in those early gigs.

And boy was his voice in great form. The first two songs I was actually a little worried. He sounded a little horse on Alive and hit somewhat of a bad note improvising on Hedgerow, and I thought maybe he was a little tired as it was the last night of the tour. But he warmed up and by the time Winkie rolled around he was cruising. But boy, he was especially excellent on Voyager and East Coast Racer.

Speaking of Voyager, that’s not a simple song but the whole band blew through it like it was nothing. Just amazing to watch everyone work their craft on the same stage. Nick is amazing, and he just anchors the entire show perfectly. I was also taken by Dave Gregory’s playing. It is so subtle but also extremely inventive and even playful at times. His solo at the end of East Coast Racer to close the show was a thing of beauty.

It seemed like some of the editing was intended to highlight Dave, Rachel, and Danny as this was their last show with the band. What a send off for those three.

My one mild complaint which was somewhat true of Reflectors of Light as well is that the editing captures too little of Greg Spawton. I wonder if that is partly due to his shy and unassuming personality influencing some editing decisions. He’s a wonderful player but not necessarily an experienced or confident one. But I love watching him work and I wish there were a little more of him on this film.

But there’s really nothing but great things to say about this. Go grab it if you haven’t yet.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:30:14 PM by HOF »

Online The Letter M

In a post in the BBT Facebook group, someone asked about Bard being re-issued. In recent years, Greg has said that there was no interest in revisiting Bard as he (or perhaps the band) felt that the album wasn't worth revisiting, but the band replied to the recent post saying that Bard is being remixed for a limited edition re-issue in 2022.

So fans will finally be able to add the missing piece of their BBT collection without having to spend several hundred dollars on the original issue. Bard isn't an album I revisit regularly anyway, but it'll be nice to have it in a remixed format and upgraded to match the rest of their discography, which has seen remixes, remasters, and re-issues since 2008 or so, all except Bard.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

In a post in the BBT Facebook group, someone asked about Bard being re-issued. In recent years, Greg has said that there was no interest in revisiting Bard as he (or perhaps the band) felt that the album wasn't worth revisiting, but the band replied to the recent post saying that Bard is being remixed for a limited edition re-issue in 2022.

So fans will finally be able to add the missing piece of their BBT collection without having to spend several hundred dollars on the original issue. Bard isn't an album I revisit regularly anyway, but it'll be nice to have it in a remixed format and upgraded to match the rest of their discography, which has seen remixes, remasters, and re-issues since 2008 or so, all except Bard.

-Marc.

Greg says it's being reissued in 2022? I guess we can count on a 2025 release...

Online HOF

New interview with Greg with some discussion of the new album (though he was trying to keep details to a minimum).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv-T35M_Szw&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1w7G5hBS720iGg3jdHuJ2FCtI3s2AKJfoMtcobjN-xXZlagkbw2RD5lbM

States it is being mixed now and that they have about 80 minutes of music that they will narrow down to make fit to one CD (I imagine there may be a few extra tracks left over that could surface on an EP like with Far Skies Deep Time and The Second Brightest Star). Also mentions the new music might be somewhat heavier than before. Will be interesting to see what he means by that. I’m thinking they might be exploring more of the sound of the ending of Snowfalls or the middle section of Voyager (could also see Rikard playing a bigger role in the sound of the album which might make it a bit heavier in some respects). Confirms it’s on track for a July release, which is suddenly just 5 months away!

Offline Fritzinger

New interview with Greg with some discussion of the new album (though he was trying to keep details to a minimum).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv-T35M_Szw&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1w7G5hBS720iGg3jdHuJ2FCtI3s2AKJfoMtcobjN-xXZlagkbw2RD5lbM

States it is being mixed now and that they have about 80 minutes of music that they will narrow down to make fit to one CD (I imagine there may be a few extra tracks left over that could surface on an EP like with Far Skies Deep Time and The Second Brightest Star). Also mentions the new music might be somewhat heavier than before. Will be interesting to see what he means by that. I’m thinking they might be exploring more of the sound of the ending of Snowfalls or the middle section of Voyager (could also see Rikard playing a bigger role in the sound of the album which might make it a bit heavier in some respects). Confirms it’s on track for a July release, which is suddenly just 5 months away!

Was just gonna post this... I am hypeddddd  :metal

Online HOF

He also teased another imminent announcement the other day, which I imagine is in regards to the re-issue of The Underfall Yard.

https://twitter.com/bigbigtrain/status/1355126487402377218?s=21

I wouldn’t mind hearing some all acoustic versions of BBT songs if they wanted to ever put something like that out.

Offline Fritzinger

He also teased another imminent announcement the other day, which I imagine is in regards to the re-issue of The Underfall Yard.

I wouldn’t mind hearing some all acoustic versions of BBT songs if they wanted to ever put something like that out.

You might like this acoustic version then!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpwpAJm1sA

Not sure if this was shared already  ;)

Online HOF

You might like this acoustic version then!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpwpAJm1sA

Not sure if this was shared already  ;)

Oh, yeah, that one is great. There’s also a nice video of David doing Telling The Bees on acoustic available to Passenger Club members. I’m thinking more of classical type arrangements, but those are great too.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 11:03:28 AM by HOF »

Online The Letter M

Just listened to the interview, and MAN those audio pops were VERY distracting, but a good interview otherwise. If I had to hazard a guess, I'm going to say that they'll pare the studio album material down to about 50-55 minutes, and save the remaining 25-30 minutes for an EP or a second album (think Folklore-to-Grimspound) with some more new material.

I'd like to think that if they have some heavier material, it might be Nick's and/or Rikard's contributions, but maybe Greg had a hand in that as well. A mid-summer release sounds perfect for new Big Big Train! In a year filled with new Transatlantic and Liquid Tension Experiment, BBT have some great competition for AOTY for me, but no matter what else comes out in a given year, BBT is always near the top for me, so I cannot wait to hear what they have in store for us!

-Marc.