Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111068 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Let's hope these dates are so far ahead that the storm caused by The Ongoing Goings-On™ will have settled down a bit.

Offline The Letter M

Let's hope these dates are so far ahead that the storm caused by The Ongoing Goings-On™ will have settled down a bit.

We can only hope. They're already looking forward to rescheduling tour dates for next year, and have even urged current ticket holders to see if the venues will honor those tickets for next year's concerts instead of refunding them. I just hope that the band is able to get together and record the album together later this year rather than try and do it remotely, especially trying to get the brass ensemble together in the room to record as an ensemble.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

The band has created a Spotify playlist of what the set list would have looked like for “The Tour That Never Was.” For those who might be curious.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3HVmaI11zjosk5E2umpdf9?si=LbdgfcJcTgC7_SkDHQI8Mg&fbclid=IwAR1YwKpzOQSyzr5BKW6nl6H_teEPAC7hJsyxObazJsuh7bmbbv1JMSUCkTw&nd=1

Offline HOF

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM by HOF »

Offline HOF

Sadly, Judy has just passed away (not unexpectedly).

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/?fbclid=IwAR3x881MClWvZ_hbqAxuDp7JigwAmoUSnhCrtdvXatqnm4tuVHvb5d2eAkQ

I’m not familiar with Judy’s music outside of her appearance on BBT’s The Ivy Gate, but here she is singing I Talk to the Wind with Giles, Giles & Fripp:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1oGztuOKVNede3Zwmtc_sxdi9ff18axTD2xn107VQRIypioFNvx06EN6k&feature=youtu.be&v=bfqXh5s4t4k
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:26:58 AM by HOF »

Offline HOF

Premier of The Florentine from the band’s forthcoming Blu-Ray over at the Rambling Man Fair’s YouTube site.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50m9K6sEEMI

Looks and sounds amazing.

This song/video showcases everything that’s great about BBT. Just amazing writing, playing, and attention to detail. Just an astonishing collection of talent one stage, and it’s all on display in full force.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:23:20 PM by HOF »

Offline The Letter M

Premier of The Florentine from the band’s forthcoming Blu-Ray over at the Rambling Man Fair’s YouTube site.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50m9K6sEEMI

Looks and sounds amazing.

This song/video showcases everything that’s great about BBT. Just amazing writing, playing, and attention to detail. Just an astonishing collection of talent one stage, and it’s all on display in full force.

Wow, that was wonderful! I cannot wait to get the BD when it comes out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

Sadness, Ramblin’ Man only had the video up for a day. The band confirmed it won’t be going back up either, though they do plan to release another promo song in the fall. Possible they’ll put the video up on The Passenger’s Club though.

Offline HOF

For those of you in the Passenger’s Club, concert film of Meadhall in Winter from Lorelei is up now. This does not seem like an easy song to pull off, especially not for a group who rarely plays together, but boy did they nail it. Rikard!!!

Offline The Letter M

For those of you in the Passenger’s Club, concert film of Meadhall in Winter from Lorelei is up now. This does not seem like an easy song to pull off, especially not for a group who rarely plays together, but boy did they nail it. Rikard!!!

I did watch this a couple weeks ago, and WOW, my jaw hit the floor. One of my favorite BBT songs of fall time and they absolutely nailed it.

I cannot wait for the new concert BD they plan to release. I will never not need more of this band in ANY form, and I'm happy the Passengers Club exists! Lots of great stuff on there!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

I did watch this a couple weeks ago, and WOW, my jaw hit the floor. One of my favorite BBT songs of fall time and they absolutely nailed it.

I cannot wait for the new concert BD they plan to release. I will never not need more of this band in ANY form, and I'm happy the Passengers Club exists! Lots of great stuff on there!

-Marc.

The concert film for Winkie that they put up yesterday was quite fun. That one isn’t always one of my favorites, but the film helped to bring it to life a bit.

Offline The Letter M

Out of curiosity, am I the only one here who got the Summer's Lease compilation so far? If so, is it because no one else here wants it, or are you all waiting for the band to release it from the UK (rather than ordering it from Japan like I did, thankfully, just before they closed off/slowed down their exporting of goods back in March/April).

I'll be honest, if you had asked me before 2020 if I ever thought that a compilation album could be of my favorite albums of a year, I'd laugh, but Summer's Lease is just chock full of great music that it easily contends for AOTY for me every time I listen to it. It's not just a slapped-together compilation. The tracks are picked meaningfully, and show the evolution of the band, while giving long-time fans some new mixes, recordings and versions of songs they may already have on other albums. A highlight has to be the London Song, which is greatly improved on this release over the digital-only Bandcamp version.

If you haven't gotten it yet, definitely seek it out once the band are able to sell it themselves, I believe, starting next month. It's been a great way to tide me over until other new BBT comes out, like the BD that we're supposedly getting by this December. 2020 has been full of live albums for me, so I'm excited to get another one from one of my favorite bands!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

I just haven’t been willing to shell out to import it from Japan. Since there has been mention of an eventual release outside Japan and since its mostly stuff I already have, I’ve been content to wait until I can get it for a more reasonable price. I am looking forward to eventually hearing the new songs though.

Offline The Letter M

I just haven’t been willing to shell out to import it from Japan. Since there has been mention of an eventual release outside Japan and since its mostly stuff I already have, I’ve been content to wait until I can get it for a more reasonable price. I am looking forward to eventually hearing the new songs though.

When you do get it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I hope they're able to maintain the gorgeous packaging that the Japanese release had! The artwork is half the set, really, and it really adds to the overall feel they're going for on the compilation.

The "new" stuff is pretty great, especially the new song by Nick, a 6-minute instrumental tune, which is exclusive to the compilation.

I've actually been listening to BBT today, started with Grand Tour, and now I'm going through Summer's Lease (currently on East Coast Racer). No matter how many times I listen to these albums and songs, I never tire of them. Even after discovering them nearly 8 years ago, I am still enjoying these songs just as much, if not more.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

When you do get it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I hope they're able to maintain the gorgeous packaging that the Japanese release had! The artwork is half the set, really, and it really adds to the overall feel they're going for on the compilation.

The "new" stuff is pretty great, especially the new song by Nick, a 6-minute instrumental tune, which is exclusive to the compilation.

I've actually been listening to BBT today, started with Grand Tour, and now I'm going through Summer's Lease (currently on East Coast Racer). No matter how many times I listen to these albums and songs, I never tire of them. Even after discovering them nearly 8 years ago, I am still enjoying these songs just as much, if not more.

-Marc.

I really dug the footage of Greg laying down bass for that NDV composition. I’ve actually gone a little while without listening to much BBT (other than what’s gone up on the Passenger’s Club). Have just had a lot of new stuff to explore lately. Means I’m due for a BBT phase soon.

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.

I really dug the footage of Greg laying down bass for that NDV composition. I’ve actually gone a little while without listening to much BBT (other than what’s gone up on the Passenger’s Club). Have just had a lot of new stuff to explore lately. Means I’m due for a BBT phase soon.

Where is that footage of Greg laying bass down? I think I may have missed that one!

I've sprinkled BBT throughout my listenings over the last few months since Summer's Lease came out, so it's been an exciting BBT-filled summer. Enjoy revisiting BBT when you get around to it. For being one of the newest bands I've discovered (eight years ago lol), they definitely shot up to my top 5 bands of all time.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

Where is that footage of Greg laying bass down? I think I may have missed that one!

I've sprinkled BBT throughout my listenings over the last few months since Summer's Lease came out, so it's been an exciting BBT-filled summer. Enjoy revisiting BBT when you get around to it. For being one of the newest bands I've discovered (eight years ago lol), they definitely shot up to my top 5 bands of all time.

-Marc.

In the March 27 update to The Passenger’s Club under the video section. It’s really great!

I think I got into BBT about the same time as you then. I know I first came across them when The Difference Machine came out, and I downloaded several tracks off their website around 2011 (including The Underfall Yard song), and that was my first real introduction to them. But then I picked up English Electric Full Power around the time it came out, and that blew me away. Have been hooked ever since.

One thing I enjoy is the different eras with Martin Reed, Sean Filkins, and David Longdon all bringing different things to the table as vocalists. Longdon definitely took them to another level in a number of ways (along with the additions of NDV and Dave Gregory), but I think you can see in those early albums just how strong a writer Greg Spawton has always been. In fact, I’d probably say I listen to English Boy Wonders as much as anything from the Longdon era, and both Gathering Speed and The Difference Machine are really strong too.

Offline HOF

New Dyble Longdon song/video. Some nice guitar work by Dave Gregory too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=-3kQLMl7hMs

Offline The Letter M

New Dyble Longdon song/video. Some nice guitar work by Dave Gregory too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=-3kQLMl7hMs

What a gorgeous song. I'll have to pick up the album eventually, maybe later in the year or early next year, since I've ordered so much new music through August and September already. I'm interested in this album, but not entirely excited (since I've never really been acquainted with Dyble's work).

-Marc.

Offline HOF

Very cool essay in today’s Passenger’s Club update from Greg describing his songwriting process for the next BBT album. Also a short video of Greg recoding a nice little acoustic guitar part. He mentions that altogether he, David, and Nick have written 75 minutes worth of music for the new album (though it’s possible the album will be shorter than that). Plan is to record everyone together in late fall with a release some time next year. Fingers crossed they can actually all travel to do that.

Offline HOF

Wow, Rachel Hall and Danny Manners have decided to leave the band, following Dave Gregory earlier in the year.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/big-big-train-release-video-for-winkie-and-slim-down-to-a-quartet

While I hate to lose their contributions (Rachel in particular has been vital to the band’s sound and stage show), I do think the core group of Spawton/Longdon/Rikard/NDV is a formidable songwriting group, and aside from maybe bringing in an outside violinist (as well as the brass band) I think they can cover the spectrum of sounds and instruments for recording purposes.

I do wonder how much of this might not about trying to stabilize the band financially a bit by pairing down. I hope not, but they do have a new manager they’ve hired in the last year, and the canceled tour was not kind to them financially (they also lost money on their UK tour last year).

Offline The Letter M

Wow, Rachel Hall and Danny Manners have decided to leave the band, following Dave Gregory earlier in the year.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/big-big-train-release-video-for-winkie-and-slim-down-to-a-quartet

While I hate to lose their contributions (Rachel in particular has been vital to the band’s sound and stage show), I do think the core group of Spawton/Longdon/Rikard/NDV is a formidable songwriting group, and aside from maybe bringing in an outside violinist (as well as the brass band) I think they can cover the spectrum of sounds and instruments for recording purposes.

I do wonder how much of this might not about trying to stabilize the band financially a bit by pairing down. I hope not, but they do have a new manager they’ve hired in the last year, and the canceled tour was not kind to them financially (they also lost money on their UK tour last year).

Just woke up to see this news and I feel quite saddened. If their decision to pare down the band was a financial one then I don't blame them. The pandemic has been very unkind to many bands this year, and at least BBT haven't gone on hiatus like Anathema.

I guess my one optimistic view is that a smaller version of BBT wrote albums like TUY and FSDT so I'm not worried about the quality of music. I wonder if David will play more flute in lieu of less (or no) violin on the next album.

Also at least we have a release date for Empire, the new BD/2CD set! Cannot wait for that!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

I guess my one optimistic view is that a smaller version of BBT wrote albums like TUY and FSDT so I'm not worried about the quality of music. I wonder if David will play more flute in lieu of less (or no) violin on the next album.

-Marc.

Yep. I think those albums you mentioned and even Gathering Speed and The Difference Machine were mostly written by Greg and Andy and the band was supplemented by outside musicians. I think they’ll get along just fine as you still have three outstanding writers and Nick isn’t too shabby. I also think at times the stage got a little crowded lately with everybody needing to get their contributions heard. The Florentine is a good example (they added a second solo section because both Rikard and Danny had solos they wanted included). So it’s sad because both Rachel and Danny are great musicians and a big part of the band’s sound, but I think the 4 piece might turn out to be a nice change of pace.

Offline The Letter M

Here is a massive update and news posted on the FB page.

Dear Passengers
A copy of the BBT newsletter which is being sent out later today is posted below.
However, we wanted to write a more personal note about the last few months.
This has, of course, been a tough year for everyone. People have lost family, friends and livelihoods. Activities that we all took for granted have been impossible. The music industry has been one of many that have suffered from the restrictions on normal life.
In the last few months, BBT has lost two tours. Alongside the loss of the tours, three valued band members have chosen to leave BBT. At times it has felt that the most sensible approach would be to accept that we had reached the end of the line and to call an end to the band.
However, we believe that we have lots of music left in us and we have decided to accept the changing circumstances and work hard to sustain BBT and to try to maintain the progress that we have made in recent years.
We are looking forward to forming close musical partnerships with our exceptionally talented new live band members Carly and Dave, and we can’t wait to perform some shows as soon as circumstances permit. In the meantime, ahead of live performances, we will be recording a new album and releasing a newly re-mixed re-issue of The Underfall Yard album (with plenty of bonus tracks.)
Thank you for sticking with us.
Best wishes
David, Greg, Nick and Rikard
Big Big Train

Big Big Train newsletter October 2020
We hope that all BBT listeners, families and friends are ok in these challenging times.
Like most recording artists, the pandemic has caused BBT many challenges. Over the last six months, we have lost two tours and have undergone a number of line-up changes. However, we have been working hard behind-the-scenes to keep the train on the rails and we are looking forward to playing concerts again in the not-too-distant future. In the meantime, we have a number of announcements to make:

Empire: a new concert film and album
A new concert film and live album (filmed and recorded at the Hackney Empire, London in 2019) will be released on the 27th November. To watch the full length performance of Winkie from the Blu-Ray, please go here:
For full details of the Blu-Ray and two CD release and for a preview of the concert film please go to our website here:
https://www.bigbigtrain.com

Band line-up changes
Danny and Rachel have decided to leave Big Big Train; we wish them every success in the future, both personally and musically. The band will continue as a core four piece for studio recordings. We are pleased to announce that Carly Bryant and Dave Foster will be joining the live line-up of BBT. For full details of the line-up changes, please go here:
https://www.bigbigtrain.com/#announce

New studio album
During the enforced break from touring, we have written a new studio album which we are recording in November. More news on this in 2021.

Summer’s Lease
Our official store, Burning Shed, have imported 500 copies of the Summer’s Lease compilation album which was originally released by the Belle Antique label in Japan. This double album, featuring new artwork from Sarah Louise Ewing, includes a previously unreleased track called Don’t Forget the Telescope, the full 30 minute song-cycle called London Song (never before available on CD) and a number of other re-worked songs, alongside a selection of the band’s back catalogue. To purchase Summer’s Lease, please follow this link:
https://burningshed.com/store/bigbigtrain

Solo albums
Over the summer and autumn, there have been solo albums from Nick D’Virgilio, Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly and from David Longdon who recorded an album with Judy Dyble shortly before she passed away earlier this year.
All of these albums are now available on CD and vinyl from Burning Shed and other good record shops, and on streaming and download platforms.

Live shows
Whilst the situation concerning live shows is extremely uncertain, we currently have two performances scheduled in July 2021. For full details of our live shows, please see our website:
https://www.bigbigtrain.com/live/

Congrats to the new touring members, and I'm looking forward to the re-issued TUY as well.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

Well, my CD budget for the month is now blown, having ordered the Dyble Longdon, Gungfly, and now Summer’s Lease all this week.

Offline The Letter M

Well, my CD budget for the month is now blown, having ordered the Dyble Longdon, Gungfly, and now Summer’s Lease all this week.

You're in for a treat, all three are amazing. I'm kind of jealous that those ordering Summer's Lease from Burning Shed will get a signed postcard, but I've had my CD set since April, and have been enjoying it ever since.

I just ordered Empire from Burning Shed this morning, so that was another $38 tossed their way. The video for Winkie was really great, so I'm excited for the whole concert! I'm glad they've finally released an audio AND video live concert together because the last couple have been separate releases, IIRC.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

Quite saddened by Rachel's and Danny's decisions, especially Danny. I always thought that his beautiful piano and keyboard playing was crucial for the band's sound. As were Dave Gregory's very unique guitar lines.

Let's see where the band will go next. Considering that Greg Spawton wrote my favourite BBT album all by himself (Underfall), I have no concerns that they will put out more great music. Maybe, with the loss of Rachel's violin, the band will move back into a proggy direction of Difference & Underfall and away from their folk-inspired sound of the last few albums?

This band has shrunk from an 8 man band to being a 4 man band. I fear the departure of NDV or Rikard. I hope that will never happen.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
They should rebrand as Little Little Train now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline HOF

Quite saddened by Rachel's and Danny's decisions, especially Danny. I always thought that his beautiful piano and keyboard playing was crucial for the band's sound. As were Dave Gregory's very unique guitar lines.

Let's see where the band will go next. Considering that Greg Spawton wrote my favourite BBT album all by himself (Underfall), I have no concerns that they will put out more great music. Maybe, with the loss of Rachel's violin, the band will move back into a proggy direction of Difference & Underfall and away from their folk-inspired sound of the last few albums?

This band has shrunk from an 8 man band to being a 4 man band. I fear the departure of NDV or Rikard. I hope that will never happen.

Honestly, Greg Spawton is basically the Robert Fripp of BBT, so I don’t think the loss of Danny and Rachel changes anything significantly as far as the writing process. Both made contributions to the final sound and shape of the recordings to be sure (Danny is a very unique prog keyboardist owing to his mainly jazz background, and I think Rachel certainly brought a high degree of musical pedigree to the band as well). But BBT is Greg’s baby with Longdon being the other main writer and Nick and Rikard already having taken on a bigger role in songwriting the last two albums. What will be missed especially with Rachel is her stage presence during the live shows. She and Rikard are basically the two main “performers” in the band, with the others being pretty reserved on stage.

Offline The Letter M

Honestly, Greg Spawton is basically the Robert Fripp of BBT, so I don’t think the loss of Danny and Rachel changes anything significantly as far as the writing process. Both made contributions to the final sound and shape of the recordings to be sure (Danny is a very unique prog keyboardist owing to his mainly jazz background, and I think Rachel certainly brought a high degree of musical pedigree to the band as well). But BBT is Greg’s baby with Longdon being the other main writer and Nick and Rikard already having taken on a bigger role in songwriting the last two albums. What will be missed especially with Rachel is her stage presence during the live shows. She and Rikard are basically the two main “performers” in the band, with the others being pretty reserved on stage.

Greg definitely is the engine of the band, and between him and the remaining 3 writers/members, I believe they will make a very exciting album for next year. I hope we get some updates from them when they begin recording next month! I wonder if they'll use the full brass band more often on the next album in lieu of not having a dedicated violinist anymore, or if Rachel will come back to do a guest solo? I don't think they've picked out a new live violinist, so maybe not, but who knows! They'll need a violinist by next year's shows either way.

And given how amazing the recent releases by Rikard, Nick, and David have been, I've got complete confidence that Greg and co. will churn out another fantastic album. I still pop in Grand Tour every now and then and love it even more with every listen!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

Greg definitely is the engine of the band, and between him and the remaining 3 writers/members, I believe they will make a very exciting album for next year. I hope we get some updates from them when they begin recording next month! I wonder if they'll use the full brass band more often on the next album in lieu of not having a dedicated violinist anymore, or if Rachel will come back to do a guest solo? I don't think they've picked out a new live violinist, so maybe not, but who knows! They'll need a violinist by next year's shows either way.

And given how amazing the recent releases by Rikard, Nick, and David have been, I've got complete confidence that Greg and co. will churn out another fantastic album. I still pop in Grand Tour every now and then and love it even more with every listen!

-Marc.

I’d kind of like them to use more synth leads in spots that might have gone to Rachel (presumably by Rikard) but not sure that will happen. Maybe more accordion from Rikard!

I’m listening to Alone Together right now actually, and amazingly Rikard is the one member who hasn’t contributed a song to the upcoming album. But I’m sure he’ll have lots to contribute once it comes time to arrange/record everything. There is just so much talent in this band even with just four members.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 01:41:46 PM by HOF »

Offline HOF

My copy of Summer’s Lease arrived. Listening now and my goodness does it sound good. Even on my computer speakers. Diving into the reworked London Song now.

Offline The Letter M

My copy of Summer’s Lease arrived. Listening now and my goodness does it sound good. Even on my computer speakers. Diving into the reworked London Song now.

Very nice!  :tup I have been listening to it today, with most of it this morning (up to Curator Of Butterflies). I've had it for almost 6 months now and I still find myself going back to it! Like I've said before, it's easily one of the best compilations released by any band that I like, between new iterations of old songs, tweaks to others, and the one new song written by NDV, it really offers a lot to BBT fans new and old.

The 500 copies allotted to Burning Shed all sold out earlier this week, so it was definitely in demand. I hope everyone who wanted one has gotten theirs already!

-Marc.

Offline DTA

Is London Song a newly recorded piece connecting all the songs or is it just the individual songs stacked together with fade-ins/outs?

Offline HOF

Is London Song a newly recorded piece connecting all the songs or is it just the individual songs stacked together with fade-ins/outs?

London Song is a compilation of the individual tracks about London which they released as a download a few years ago but didn’t re-record any of it or add to those tracks. For Summer’s Lease they’ve added some musical interludes to connect the different songs which weren’t on the previous version. I’m only through the first interlude (which worked nicely I’ll add) so can’t really comment more than that!