Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111046 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!
« Reply #1575 on: March 25, 2024, 12:31:04 PM »
So the band are doing a “re-recording workshop” at Sweetwater this weekend. Alberto posted this on FB/Instagram:

“Last couple of days at @sweetwaterstudios recording something special! 😎
This place is incredible.
It has everything you can dream of and more.
And with @shawndealey everything sounds awesome.”

Wonder if they might be recording some earlier material for release, or something new.

Has the long-forgotten Station Masters project been revived?  :o

Either way, it sounds like they'll have an EP or compilation coming, and I'm excited for that. Anything that keeps their momentum going! I'd love to see them back on their grind like they were between 2012-2019. If you look at their Band History chart (cleverly designs like a railway map), you'll see just how much output they had in those years, and it was astounding how quickly they released albums, EPs, and singles back then. Things have noticeably slowed down since Grand Tour, but they seem ready and raring to go now, so I wouldn't mind seeing them drop some more singles or EPs in the interim between studio albums. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had ideas for their next studio album, and if it came out before the end of 2025.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1576 on: March 25, 2024, 12:36:21 PM »
Has the long-forgotten Station Masters project been revived?  :o

Either way, it sounds like they'll have an EP or compilation coming, and I'm excited for that. Anything that keeps their momentum going! I'd love to see them back on their grind like they were between 2012-2019. If you look at their Band History chart (cleverly designs like a railway map), you'll see just how much output they had in those years, and it was astounding how quickly they released albums, EPs, and singles back then. Things have noticeably slowed down since Grand Tour, but they seem ready and raring to go now, so I wouldn't mind seeing them drop some more singles or EPs in the interim between studio albums. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had ideas for their next studio album, and if it came out before the end of 2025.

-Marc.

I believe they mentioned that they had about two hours' worth of music written to choose from as far as what to record in Trieste, so there is about an album's worth of additional music they could work into another album. Greg hinted at the next album being a possible concept album, so I imagine they are pretty far down the road on the next album in terms of writing. I'm not sure if Sweetwater had to do with a new album or not, but I imagine it's something intended to bridge the time between the two albums.

Alberto also had a short clip of himself recording a blazing mini-Moog solo on FB/Instagram yesterday that sounded really good. It was tagged as Big Big Train so I took it as a new piece of music that is being worked on.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1577 on: March 25, 2024, 12:41:06 PM »
Several artists have done these re-recording workshops at Sweetwater. It is usually treated as a learning experience for people interested in studio engineering and the like. Some artists then release the sessions as an EP. I have the CD that The Dead Deads did there and I know Spock's Beard did that a few years ago as well (never picked that up but I know it is still available in their shop). I would expect a couple of songs re-recorded and that's it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1578 on: March 25, 2024, 12:45:42 PM »
I believe they mentioned that they had about two hours' worth of music written to choose from as far as what to record in Trieste, so there is about an album's worth of additional music they could work into another album. Greg hinted at the next album being a possible concept album, so I imagine they are pretty far down the road on the next album in terms of writing. I'm not sure if Sweetwater had to do with a new album or not, but I imagine it's something intended to bridge the time between the two albums.

Alberto also had a short clip of himself recording a blazing mini-Moog solo on FB/Instagram yesterday that sounded really good. It was tagged as Big Big Train so I took it as a new piece of music that is being worked on.

Funnily enough, BBT just sent out an email newsletter and here's what it says about the Sweetwater sessions:

Sweetwater Studios Recording

After the Cruise we returned to Sweetwater in Fort Wayne. We spent a day recording in the magnificent studios there with house engineer Shawn Dealey and his team as part of a Sweetwater recording and mixing workshop. We hope to announce news about the results of this studio session during April.

Sounds like an April announcement is coming, with probably an mid-to-late summer release, if I had to guess. If it's like the SB "Live At Sweetwater" EP they released several years back, it'll be a few tracks from across the band's catalog re-recorded with the current line-up. I'd love to see them do songs from each of the band's previous periods - a Martin Read track, a Sean Filkins track, and a David Longdon track (or two), and preferably songs that haven't been done to death (so now "Wind Distorted Pioneers" or "Summer's Lease", although it would not surprise me if those were the Read and Filkins tracks they re-record with Alberto).

I do wonder if this will be another independent release through Sweetwater (as was the SB release), or if they'll push it through Inside Out now that they're with them.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1579 on: March 25, 2024, 12:59:59 PM »
Someone shared his experience of attending the sessions on Facebook. He obviously couldn't say what they were recording, but he mentioned NDV was only able to be there for one of the two days due to needing to leave for the Mr. Big shows in the UK. I don't know how many songs he might have banged out in a day (I'm sure he could have done quite a few, but maybe not a full album's worth of songs).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1580 on: March 25, 2024, 04:19:38 PM »
Someone shared his experience of attending the sessions on Facebook. He obviously couldn't say what they were recording, but he mentioned NDV was only able to be there for one of the two days due to needing to leave for the Mr. Big shows in the UK. I don't know how many songs he might have banged out in a day (I'm sure he could have done quite a few, but maybe not a full album's worth of songs).

If they were there for a second day without NDV, I'd imagine they could do one or two acoustic covers without Nick, which could be fun considering many members of the band are multi-instrumentalists!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1581 on: April 22, 2024, 03:58:37 PM »
New BBT newsletter out today. Bunch of tour and merch related stuff, but the snippet at the end was the most interesting part to me:

AND FINALLY…

Our next show is the Summer Fog festival in Poland on 13th July. However before then, there will be two or three other significant pieces of news…

Guessing one of these is the Bard reissue and another is an announcement about a concert film from last year’s European tour, but could be anything. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1582 on: April 22, 2024, 08:48:36 PM »
I love this album. It's getting regular play from me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1583 on: April 22, 2024, 09:01:02 PM »
Seeing them live blew me away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #1584 on: April 22, 2024, 09:07:12 PM »
I love this album. It's getting regular play from me.

:tup

I've been trying to let it rest, but I did listen to some of it this weekend. Hard to put it down for sure!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1585 on: April 24, 2024, 02:55:03 PM »
I ordered the deluxe package (or whatever it's called -- the one with the CD and the 5.1 Blu-ray) and it arrived yesterday.  I listened to it twice last night, and again this morning.  Wow!  I was actually a little worried because "Love is the Light" is a nice enough song, but hardly the amazing, expansive prog I've come to expect from BBT, and "Oblivion" was pretty cool, very intense, but also somehow seemed a bit on the simple side.  Maybe that's why they were the advance singles; I don't know.  "Miramare" was more adventurous, but the video was so bad that I just found it distracting, and at that point I decided to just wait.  I really don't remember much about "Miramare" other than the video.  That's not how it's supposed to work.

But within the context of the album as a whole, "Love is the Light" and "Oblivion" were both great, as was the rest of the album.  I tried something different this time; rather than listening while reading through liner notes and looking at pictures, I just pressed Play and let it go.  I listened "blind".  So I have no idea even which songs were which, except for the singles I'd heard before, and things flowed so well that I didn't even know when we'd gone to a different song, a different movement of the same song, or what.

Alberto seems pretty cool.  We've had plenty of chances to see what he's done with the older BBT songs, and I like his way of mostly channeling David yet putting his own mark on things.  But this album was obviously a big test, and he and the rest of the new lineup have passed with flying colors.  As I said, the singles I'd heard concerned me, but the album as a whole feels really consistent, and it sounds really good.

Now I just have to wait for some time when Mrs. Orbert is out, so I can crank up the 5.1 surround mix in the living room.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1586 on: April 24, 2024, 04:03:04 PM »
Love is the Light is amazing. I thought they did a great job of melding a pop ballad with prog there. Miramare didn’t grow on me until I heard the album either, but it’s a great track.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1587 on: April 24, 2024, 06:55:21 PM »
Oblivion is currently my favorite track. But I have been in a "simple music" mood while I finish up teaching this school year, I don't want anything too crazy all the time.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1588 on: April 25, 2024, 08:38:48 PM »
Only about half way through this (it's over 2 hours!), but this is a very cool radio program featuring Greg Spawton playing/talking about the music that has influenced him with Richard Macphail (who was a part of the Genesis camp back in the day).

https://www.mixcloud.com/richpickings/rrp-gregory-spawton-23-april-2024/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3gfV5h-k3cQcCzBUR5-fIbRxfZ0WblXolOiwtYRdEhyO0UqwZhkeNjCRw_aem_Af6sEm9czyQdlGMX3fRRxVg_hlciBX0Hoc6I-nAMoWRf0hy0r1Uxdtt6z37w-3eVvdTF6yb5Gcqy3Jmp6qR72p1c