Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 109490 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

The Big Big Train live 2023 lineup.

Clare Lindley
Oskar Holldorff
Nick D'Virgilio
Alberto Bravin
Maria Barbieri (standing in for Dave Foster)
Rikard Sjöblom
Gregory Spawton
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online The Letter M

Clare Lindley
Oskar Holldorff
Nick D'Virgilio
Alberto Bravin
Rikard Sjöblom
Gregory Spawton

As I've been listening to the recordings from the 2022 shows, it's occurred to me that that line-up (and this one) only feature two members from the English Electric days, and they're the rhythm section of Nick and Greg, the backbone of the band. That isn't to say Rikard isn't vital to them either, as his work from Folklore onward has been essential to the growth of the band since then.

While the band's line-up has changed A LOT in the last decade, they still sound like Big Big Train, and I applaud them for keeping that sonic cohesion but also adapting and evolving at the same time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

Clare Lindley
Oskar Holldorff
Nick D'Virgilio
Alberto Bravin
Rikard Sjöblom
Gregory Spawton

As I've been listening to the recordings from the 2022 shows, it's occurred to me that that line-up (and this one) only feature two members from the English Electric days, and they're the rhythm section of Nick and Greg, the backbone of the band. That isn't to say Rikard isn't vital to them either, as his work from Folklore onward has been essential to the growth of the band since then.

While the band's line-up has changed A LOT in the last decade, they still sound like Big Big Train, and I applaud them for keeping that sonic cohesion but also adapting and evolving at the same time.

-Marc.

It’s a different band for sure, but the heart of BBT will always be Greg Spawton. It would be hard to replace NDV if he ever moved on, but I think the vision would carry on with Greg. Really interested to see what this group comes up with musically. Rikard is a well established member now, but everyone else is new or has been on just one or two albums (Dave Foster and Claire Langley). I think Oskar is a tremendous talent and will be a big asset to the band. And of course Alberto will play a big role in the shape of the band’s music going forward.

Online HOF

Nick Stilton had a blog about the recording sessions in Italy in the Passenger’s Club last week. Without giving away anything too proprietary, he noted the band had written 2 hours of material to choose from for the new album but that it won’t be a double album. Sounds like maybe they have enough material for multiple releases in the can (though he didn’t say if they recorded that much at the recent sessions).

I also thought it was interesting that he mentioned that NDV as well as Maria Barbieri were set to tour in Steven Wilson’s backing band prior to the pandemic. I know at one point Nick was offered to tour with SW back before he took his current job at Sweetwater, but I don’t recall hearing about more recent plans for him to play with SW’s band.

Online The Letter M

Nick Stilton had a blog about the recording sessions in Italy in the Passenger’s Club last week. Without giving away anything too proprietary, he noted the band had written 2 hours of material to choose from for the new album but that it won’t be a double album. Sounds like maybe they have enough material for multiple releases in the can (though he didn’t say if they recorded that much at the recent sessions).

I also thought it was interesting that he mentioned that NDV as well as Maria Barbieri were set to tour in Steven Wilson’s backing band prior to the pandemic. I know at one point Nick was offered to tour with SW back before he took his current job at Sweetwater, but I don’t recall hearing about more recent plans for him to play with SW’s band.

I could see them pulling a Folklore/Grimspound deal again and saving that other hour of material for a "surprise" release, announcing it a month or two before release date. It would not surprise me if we got two albums next year and they toured after the 2nd release, giving them two hours of NEW material to play live with the current line-up. It seems that August/September seems to be their preferred touring months, so an early 2024 release for the first album means a second could come in the summer, just before another string of shows in late summer 2024. Either way, two hours of new music in the pipeline is VERY exciting.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

Interesting, I didn't know NDV was going to tour with SW.  And great news on the 2 hours of new music! Hopefully they do two releases as The Letter M suggested. The more new BBT the better!!!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
After really getting into some of the recent live clips that have been released, I've decided that this will be the summer of BBT for me and I'm devoting essentially one week to each album. I started at The Underfall Yard and I'm going forward chronologically, and I'll be including live releases.

First up was The Underfall Yard, which is just a masterpiece and creeping in on all-time top ten status for me. Every song is just gorgeous. Victorian Brickwork is probably my favorite, but every song here rates "solidly above average" at a minimum.

Last week was English Electric: Full Power. Another dynamite album, the highs are right there with the previous record, it's just not quite as consistently excellent as its predecessor (which is understandable given the much longer runtime). Favorites include First Rebreather, A Boy In Darkness, Keeper of Abbeys, and of course East Coast Racer. I do have to say though, Leopards is an absolute dud for me, I often had to fight the urge to skip it.

This week I'm working on Folklore. My initial impression is that it's a step down from the previous two albums. The material is fine, nothing that falls flat like Leopards, but nothing aside from Wassail is really popping for me the way so much of the first two albums did.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kram

After really getting into some of the recent live clips that have been released, I've decided that this will be the summer of BBT for me and I'm devoting essentially one week to each album. I started at The Underfall Yard and I'm going forward chronologically, and I'll be including live releases.

First up was The Underfall Yard, which is just a masterpiece and creeping in on all-time top ten status for me. Every song is just gorgeous. Victorian Brickwork is probably my favorite, but every song here rates "solidly above average" at a minimum.

Last week was English Electric: Full Power. Another dynamite album, the highs are right there with the previous record, it's just not quite as consistently excellent as its predecessor (which is understandable given the much longer runtime). Favorites include First Rebreather, A Boy In Darkness, Keeper of Abbeys, and of course East Coast Racer. I do have to say though, Leopards is an absolute dud for me, I often had to fight the urge to skip it.

This week I'm working on Folklore. My initial impression is that it's a step down from the previous two albums. The material is fine, nothing that falls flat like Leopards, but nothing aside from Wassail is really popping for me the way so much of the first two albums did.
Enjoy the journey, I did the same thing 2 years ago, and now they're my third favorite band of all-time (only behind Rush and Dream Theater).  Hang in there with Folklore, it's one of my favorites (London Plane, Along the Ridgeway/Salisbury Giant, Transit of Venus, Brooklands), as good as it gets a far as I'm concerned!

Online HOF

Enjoy the journey! You might prefer the original versions of English Electric (part 1 and 2) which is a little more concise. But man, I love Leopards. Some excellent guitar work by Dave Gregory on that one. I also think Folklore is really strong, but probably a little less immediate than TUY or EE. 

Also, you seem to have skipped the Far Skies Deep Time EP which came between The Underfall Yard and English Electric. It’s essentially a whole album, with some of my favorite BBT songs (Kingmaker, British Racing Green, Fat Billy Shouts Mine, The Wide Open Sea, and the cover of Master of Time). Definitely need to check that one out as it’s kind of a companion to The Underfall Yard.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick

Enjoy the journey, I did the same thing 2 years ago, and now they're my third favorite band of all-time (only behind Rush and Dream Theater).  Hang in there with Folklore, it's one of my favorites (London Plane, Along the Ridgeway/Salisbury Giant, Transit of Venus, Brooklands), as good as it gets a far as I'm concerned!

Don't get me wrong, I quite like pretty much all the songs you mentioned, just the previous two albums set an almost impossible bar.

Enjoy the journey! You might prefer the original versions of English Electric (part 1 and 2) which is a little more concise. But man, I love Leopards. Some excellent guitar work by Dave Gregory on that one. I also think Folklore is really strong, but probably a little less immediate than TUY or EE. 

Also, you seem to have skipped the Far Skies Deep Time EP which came between The Underfall Yard and English Electric. It’s essentially a whole album, with some of my favorite BBT songs (Kingmaker, British Racing Green, Fat Billy Shouts Mine, The Wide Open Sea, and the cover of Master of Time). Definitely need to check that one out as it’s kind of a companion to The Underfall Yard.

So I did, I checked the studio and live albums on the BBT discography wiki page but neglected to scroll down to the EPs. I'll circle around to them as well :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Update: My view of Folklore was largely the same at the end of the week. A lot of really lovely material but has the unenvious task of following in the wake of two absolute masterpieces. I'm on to A Stone's Throw from the Line this week, man what a setlist and what a performance.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Stone's Throw is my favorite live album of theirs. Got way more listens than just about anything else. The version of East Coast Racer on it is my absolute favorite version of that track.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Merchants Of Light is my favourite live album, that version of Swan Hunter is brilliant.

Offline Kram

Update: My view of Folklore was largely the same at the end of the week. A lot of really lovely material but has the unenvious task of following in the wake of two absolute masterpieces. I'm on to A Stone's Throw from the Line this week, man what a setlist and what a performance.
There was a slight shift in their style with Folklore, that while I too prefer the 2 albums before it (EEFP is my favorite album of theirs, and one of my favorite albums of all-time!), I find refreshing. And while I would agree, that I'd rate TUY and EE slightly above Folklore, it just depends on the mood I'm in as to which I'd rather listen to on any given day.  All 5 star records IMO!

Online HOF

Very nice interview with Greg. Towards the end he mentions there are plans to reissue the entire catalog “hopefully within the next three years.” Though it sounds like they are trying to decide on ways to creat “extra value” for people who already own them. There may be some extras or tweaks here or there. Again mentioned Barf being remixed but sounds like they are still working out some sort of bonus track featuring the current lineup.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=057Vx6JL0MI&feature=share

Online The Letter M

Very nice interview with Greg. Towards the end he mentions there are plans to reissue the entire catalog “hopefully within the next three years.” Though it sounds like they are trying to decide on ways to creat “extra value” for people who already own them. There may be some extras or tweaks here or there. Again mentioned Barf being remixed but sounds like they are still working out some sort of bonus track featuring the current lineup.

:rollin "Barf" - hey, it's not THAT bad...

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Looking forward to some reissues. I need Folklore and EE:FP at the very least. Sort of wouldn't mind some vinyl reissues as well. I would snap up Folklore on vinyl in a heartbeat.

Never heard Barf, aside from the band was never very fond of it. I mean, no one likes to barf.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online HOF

:rollin "Barf" - hey, it's not THAT bad...

-Marc.

Freudian slip! Actually, I’ve never heard it so I’m looking forward to the reissue!

Offline Fritzinger

Someone should suggest to Greg to finally release English Electric as the Full Power version in a glorious 3LP box set instead of another reissue of the individual EE1 & 2. I think the Full Power version is the ultimate one.
any rock can be made to roll

Online The Letter M

My short review and thoughts on Ingenious Devices, posted in the BBT Forum on Facebook.

The newest addition to the BBT collection has arrived and it is a beauty.
Every track sounds lush and full but also crisp and clear. There's new life in each epic and the new strings-only bridging piece provides a nice, soothing break between the first two lengthy songs.

One might find hearing "nothing but epics" a bit tiring but the band have carefully crafted these lengthy tracks to ebb and flow in a manner that feels like each song is an album in of themselves, with highs and lows that tell their stories musically as well as lyrically. Each piece is a journey, and while we've gone on these journeys many times, revisiting these songs with new arrangements and instrumentation makes them fresh again.

While the non-die-hard fans may look at Ingenious Devices and think it's just merely a compilation, it is far more than that. This is an album that shows pride in their past and shines new light on now-classic songs, but also ends with a step towards the future of the band with the 2022 live version of "Atlantic Cable". Like "The Book Of Ingenious Devices", this album is a link between eras of the band, and is as essential as anything else in their catalog. Don't let this train pass you by! Full steam ahead!

After a few spins, I'm definitely in love and in full BBT music mode again. It's been awhile since I've gone back into BBT and hearing the band is Homecoming. homecoming.

If you haven't ordered this yet, do it now! Thebandwagonusa.com have begun shipping their CD and vinyl orders so they're in stock!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 12:57:27 PM by The Letter M »

Online HOF

Just got mine today. Waiting to dive in.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I ordered it from Laser CD. Still waiting on that shipping notice.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Just came home from a trip to find my Ingenious Devices vinyl waiting for me. Can't wait to check it out.
Photobucket sucks.

Online The Letter M

I ordered it from Laser CD. Still waiting on that shipping notice.

Hopefully you get it soon! Laser CD are usually pretty good about getting their packages out by release date.

Just got mine today. Waiting to dive in.

Have you had a chance to listen yet? I've spun it quite a few times now and each time through, I hear new things in each ECE and Brooklands.

Just came home from a trip to find my Ingenious Devices vinyl waiting for me. Can't wait to check it out.

Sweet! The only downside that the vinyl has over the CD is that there are no crossfades/segues between the first four tracks, especially between the first three as "The Book Of Ingenious Devices" links ECR and Brooklands.

I also realized that, if you count ECR from EEFP, that all four of the epics on this album are the penultimate tracks from their respective albums.

-Marc.

Online HOF

I've given it several spins now in a couple different settings. It all sounds really nice, and it's definitely an enjoyable presentation of these three works (plus the live performance is excellent as well).

My deeper thoughts are that I don't love how the orchestra interacts with East Coast Racer as much as I hoped. There's almost too much going on in places, and it feels like some of the parts suffer from it. The impact of the brass band in particular feels muted. There also isn't as much room for the track to breath and crescendo at the end. They REALLY have to amp it up at the end to get the same impact heading into "and into history..." as on the original. Which is kind of cool in it's own way, but it doesn't flow as effortlessly as the original. Having the additional live ending on a studio recording is cool, but also not especially different than just having the live versions themselves which are great. I'm glad to have it, but I don't think I will ever prefer it to the original (but give it time I guess). It feels a lot like the re-recorded Victorian Brickwork. Just can't really compete with the perfection of the originals.

The interlude into Brooklands is really nice, and Brooklands itself really does take on a whole new dimension. When I first heard the preview track of this a few months back, I wasn't too keen on the drum sound, and it does still seem a little bombastic in places, but I've found myself really enjoying this new version nonetheless. I never felt there was anything wrong with the original Brooklands (always a favorite from Follklore), and I certainly didn't think it was outshone by the other two as Greg suggests it might have been, but I do think this version is exciting and dynamic and the strings play better with it than on ECR. That may be in part because there is no brass for them to detract from. The instrumental passages really soar here. I'd definitely say Brooklands is the highlight of this release.

Voyager is almost identical to the Grand Tour version, except that they added Rachel's violin run from the Empire performance right at the end (Greg mentioned they actually just dropped in the audio from the live concert since she had already left the band by the time they put this together). I think that's a fine little flourish and it's good to have something to distinguish this version from the original, but it does cover up the little organ bit that hits before the band comes in, which was always one of my favorite parts of the song. In all though, I would say this package does a good job of presenting these three pieces as a coherent grouping of songs. It's a good listen for sure.

Atlantic Cable is one of the few Greg-penned epics that I don't love so much. It does have it's moments (the middle instrumental section is tremendous), but I feel like the track meanders too much before the verses start, and then I don't really love the verses themselves. All that said, the live performance is great. Alberto actually sounds a lot like David on the verses, and I kind of had to do a double take when I first heard them. In places I feel like his performance doesn't quite match the power of David's, but I suspect some of that is just due to it not really being his song. It's tough to perform other people's songs as well as something that is your own work. I'm really looking forward to new BBT music with Alberto to get a better sense of how he gels with the band.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
https://youtu.be/OgsSSlPVTLE

The Transit Of Venus, live at the Boerderij.

Online The Letter M

I was just about to post this. Very nice performance! I really hope they decide to release the whole Zoetermeer show in some format!

-Marc.

Online HOF

I was just about to post this. Very nice performance! I really hope they decide to release the whole Zoetermeer show in some format!

-Marc.

Just getting around to seeing this, and it was fantastic for sure!

Nick also posted a play-through of the middle section of Brooklands today. Why he's the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSDza6-IH_Q

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Only one listen through on Ingenious Devices, but it seems lovely. This week though the focus has been on From Stone and Steel. I have to say, even though A Stone's Throw from the Line has the bigger/better setlist I do find myself drawn to this one. Something about the sound and performances just works for me. I may try to A/B some of the tracks common to both of those this weekend.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
Ingenious Devices is incredible. I never thought much of Brooklands before, but this new version really brings the song to life.

Online The Letter M

https://youtu.be/1yIrIR0Rp64

WIld River, the debut solo album from the late Big Big Train singer David Longdon, is to be reissued in re-mixed, re-mastered and expanded form through English Electric Recordings on October 12.

Originally released in 2004, Wild River has been out of print for some time, although Longdon always had plans to remix and re-package the album. Longdon's tragic death in November 2021 meant this never happened. However, in a final act of remembrance by his long-time colleague and Big Big Train's noted engineer Rob Aubrey, Longdon’s wishes have now been fulfilled. The album packaging has also been re-designed by Longdon’s friend and collaborator Steve Vantsis.

“It still fills me with sadness that he’s gone, but Wild River needed to be made available again as it is such a strong album," says Aubrey.

"David was really proud of those songs,” adds Longdon's partner Sarah Ewing. “He produced and engineered the album himself, but always felt that the recording, the production and the mix never quite met his expectations. Over the years he became much more skilled at his craft, and had he been alive now, he would have been able to deliver the album the way he always wanted it to be. He’d also always wanted to improve the cover art, but at the time he’d spent all his money on the recording and mixing.

"David was really proud of those songs,” adds Longdon's partner Sarah Ewing. “He produced and engineered the album himself, but always felt that the recording, the production and the mix never quite met his expectations. Over the years he became much more skilled at his craft, and had he been alive now, he would have been able to deliver the album the way he always wanted it to be. He’d also always wanted to improve the cover art, but at the time he’d spent all his money on the recording and mixing.

“I don’t think it sounds like an album that’s 20 years old; it sounds very immediate and contemporary and that speaks of David’s talent. It’s hard for me to be objective, but I hear the younger David and in that regard it’s a beautiful time capsule."

Wild River will be released on limited edition green and daffodil yellow coloured double vinyl as well as black vinyl and 2CD and digital formats. You can see the new albukm artwork and tracklisiting below.

Vinyl formats of the album feature four songs recorded live in 2004, while the CD format features nine live songs. The vinyl and CD formats all feature a bonus studio track not available on the 2004 edition of the album, while the CD format also includes an extended version of one song from the studio recordings.

David Longdon: Wild River

Vinyl edition

Side 1
1. Always
2. Honey Trap
3. Mandy
4. About Time
5. Vertigo

Side 2
1.Wild River
2. Loving & Giving
3. In Essence
4. This House

Side 3
1. Joely
2. Falling Down To Earth
3. On To The Headland
4. Beyond Belief

Side 4
1. Every Silver Lining (Live)
2. April Fool (Live)
4. Can I Come With You? (Live)
5. Pipe Dream (Live)

CD version

CD 1
1. Always
2. Honey Trap
3. Mandy
4. About Time
5. Vertigo
6. Wild River
7. Loving & Giving
8. In Essence
9. This House
10. Joely
11. Falling Down To Earth
12. On To The Headland

CD2
1. Always (Live)
2. Every Silver Lining (Live)
3. Loving & Giving (Live)
4. April Fool (Live)
5. Falling Down To Earth (Live)
6. Can I Come With You? (Live)
7. Pipe Dream (Live)
8. Mandy (Live)
9. Wild River (Live)
10. On To The Headland (Extended Version with Poem)
11. Beyond Belief

https://burningshed.com/store/english-electric-recordings
https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/david-longdon

-Marc.

Online HOF

Really excited for this.

They also posted a video for the song “Always.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hObZhPkcerM&pp=QAFIAQ%3D%3D

Whenever I hear younger David, I’m kind of struck with sadness that he was only able to make a small amount of music in that timeframe. Not that he didn’t leave us with a robust body of work in BBT, but his voice was really remarkable when he was younger (and certainly when he was older as well).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 08:56:09 AM by HOF »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I just watched the video this morning.  It was a little confusing, as the description said it was the single from his first solo album.  I have Door One, and it's not from that album.  So I read on, and it's from the remastered/remixed version released (past tense) in November 2023, which confused me even more.  Eventually it got to the part where they mention that Wild River was from 2004 and only had limited release.  I had no idea that it ever existed.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Big Big Train v. Ingenious Devices out now; On Tour Aug/Sept '23!
« Reply #1328 on: July 07, 2023, 05:22:18 PM »
Crickets from Laser CD on the new disc. Hasn't shipped and the site still has it stuck in pre-order mode. Quite surprised by this.

Online The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. Ingenious Devices out now; On Tour Aug/Sept '23!
« Reply #1329 on: July 07, 2023, 06:23:24 PM »
Crickets from Laser CD on the new disc. Hasn't shipped and the site still has it stuck in pre-order mode. Quite surprised by this.

That is very odd. I wonder if there was a hold-up on their shipments. I know Rita at The Band Wagon USA (BBT's official shop for North America) got her shipments in early, and I managed to get my copy nearly two-weeks before release, though I feel like that's quite an exception.

Ever since The Band Wagon USA has been the band's official shop for the states, I've been ordering there since they're quite reliable and often get my orders to me before release day.

Hopefully your order from Laser CD comes through!

-Marc.