Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 109635 times)

Offline HOF

Some interesting stuff in the recent newsletter.

https://www.facebook.com/bigbigtrain

I'm especially excited about the new podcast, Big Express, starting on February 16.

That’s awesome. I’ve wanted the band to do some kind of a podcast since they have so much material to talk about and lots of members who could contribute. Nick and Greg are always good interview listens. This should be fun.

Offline The Letter M

Some interesting stuff in the recent newsletter.

https://www.facebook.com/bigbigtrain

I'm especially excited about the new podcast, Big Express, starting on February 16.

Saw the newsletter in my email earlier this morning. Interesting to note that Passengers Club members get early access to the Ingenious Devices version of "Brooklands" in a few weeks on February 17th, which is very exciting!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

The shirt is of very fine quality indeed, the first time I'm wearing it. Now I need to listen to some English Electric.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Letter M

https://www.loudersound.com/news/big-big-train-enlist-guitarist-maria-barbieri-to-cover-for-dave-foster

Due to touring commitments with the Steve Rothery band, Dave Foster will be covered by Maria Barbieri on some upcoming BBT shows.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Harmony

https://www.loudersound.com/news/big-big-train-enlist-guitarist-maria-barbieri-to-cover-for-dave-foster

Due to touring commitments with the Steve Rothery band, Dave Foster will be covered by Maria Barbieri on some upcoming BBT shows.

-Marc.

I think we (they) are in good hands.  Hey - Z, love the shirt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwWxNTYgzsY
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. Ingenious Devices, coming June 30th; Carly's out, Oskar's in.
« Reply #1195 on: February 07, 2023, 06:20:51 AM »
https://youtu.be/_Q2dkiob7ME

The band is playing 16 shows across 9 countries in the UK/Europe in August and September!

Big Big Train are delighted to announce 15 further shows in the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland and the UK to take place in August and September.

These additional dates form part of the band’s The Journey Continues tour and are in addition to the band’s previously announced headlining appearance at the 2 Days + 1 Festival in Italy on 2nd September 2023. At these performances the band will be promoting the forthcoming Ingenious Devices album, which will be released on 30th June 2023.

For these shows Big Big Train will consist of lead vocalist Alberto Bravin, drummer Nick D’Virgilio, guitarist/keyboardist Rikard Sjöblom, bassist Gregory Spawton, violinist Clare Lindley, keyboardist Oskar Holldorff and guitarist Maria Barbieri. Barbieri is deputising for Dave Foster, who has prior commitments in September with the Steve Rothery Band. The Big Big Train brass ensemble, led by trombonist Dave Desmond, will perform at all shows.

Saturday 26th August – Cultuurpodium Boerderij, Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

Sunday 27th August – Markthalle, Hamburg, Germany

Monday 28th August – Stora Teatern, Gothenburg, Sweden

Tuesday 29th August – Cosmopolite, Oslo, Norway

Wednesday 30th August – Fryshuset Klubben, Stockholm, Sweden

Thursday 31st August – Viften, Copenhagen, Denmark

Saturday 2nd September – 2 Days + 1 Festival, Revislate, Italy

Sunday 3rd September – Z7, Pratteln (Basel), Switzerland

Tuesday 5th September – Neuberinhaus, Reichenbach, Germany

Wednesday 6th September – Carlswerk Victoria, Cologne, Germany

Thursday 7th September – Colos-Saal, Aschaffenburg, Germany

Friday 8th September – Mozart-Saal, Stuttgart, Germany

Sunday 10th September – The Queen’s Hall, Edinburgh, UK

Monday 11th September – Town Hall, Birmingham, UK

Tuesday 12th September – Cadogan Hall, London, UK

Wednesday 13th September – Cadogan Hall, London, UK

Support at all shows except Wednesday 13th September comes from rising Norwegian stars Dim Gray, who feature Oskar Holldorff. There will be no support at the Wednesday 13th September show.

TICKETS & PRE-SALES

Tickets will go on general sale for all shows on Friday this week at 10am UK/11am central European time.

Passengers Club members and patrons will be able to access pre-sales for most shows via the Passengers Club on Thursday this week from 10am UK/11am central European time by visiting the Passengers Club Concourse. You can access the Concourse via www.thepassengersclub.com

TOUR VENUES & LOCATIONS

We’re really excited to be returning to a number of cities and venues which we have played in recent years (Cadogan Hall in London, The Queen’s Hall in Edinburgh, Birmingham Town Hall and the Boerderij in Zoetermeer). Equally we’re delighted to be playing our first ever shows in Scandinavia and Italy as well as making our debut at the Z7 in Switzerland.

Equally we are very conscious that in 2022 we had planned to play shows in Germany in Bonn, Mainz and Berlin and also play in Paris for the first time.

In Germany we will be playing five shows in August/September. These are being promoted by the promoter responsible for the Night Of The Prog festival at Loreley (who is also promoting the forthcoming Camel tour of Germany). Our previously planned 2022 shows in Germany were with a different promoter.

Instead of the Bonn show planned for 2022, there will be a Cologne show – this is ca. 30 minutes from Bonn and in a better venue.
Instead of a Mainz show, there will be one in Aschaffenburg – this is at the legendary Colos-Saal and ca. 50 minutes from Mainz.
Instead of a Berlin show, there will be shows in Reichenbach and Hamburg. We are very conscious that these are each some considerable distance from Berlin and are sorry that we were unable to arrange a replacement Berlin show.
Additionally there will be a Stuttgart show in a beautiful concert hall.
There will not be a Paris show in 2023. Unfortunately it simply wasn’t feasible to play there this year. With apologies to French fans, we hope to come to Paris in future.
Fans still holding tickets for the Bonn, Mainz, Berlin and Paris shows should please contact their point of sale for refunds.

16 UNIQUE SHOWS

The band will be playing a real mixture of venues on this tour - theatres, concert halls, clubs and an outdoor festival. Aside from the different types of venues, we are planning to make every night a genuinely unique occasion by varying the set list and swapping songs in and out.

THE LONDON SHOWS

The two nights at Cadogan Hall in London promise to be very special occasions, with around 45 minutes of material being played at one show which will not be performed at the other. Due to the venue’s curfew restrictions, the shows are expected to finish at 10pm on Tuesday 12th September and at 9.30pm on Wednesday 13th September. We hope that this advance information eases travel planning.

Alberto Bravin says: “After the shows we played in the UK and the Netherlands last September, I cannot wait to get back on stage again with Big Big Train later this year. I remain truly grateful to the fans for welcoming me so warmly at last year’s shows and am excited about BBT touring more extensively.”

Rikard Sjöblom adds: “I have been campaigning for a long time for Big Big Train to come to Sweden, so I am really pleased that we’re bringing the band for the first time not only to my home country for two shows but also to play two other dates in Denmark and Norway. I hope the Scandinavian prog fans will come out in force to see us live!”

Nick D’Virgilio says: “I’m so thrilled to be taking Big Big Train into some new countries in 2023 as well as playing some venues that we’ve played before. It will be great to return to the beautiful Cadogan Hall in London. As we’re doing two nights there, these will be very special shows with about 45 minutes of material being played at one show which will not be performed at the other.”

Gregory Spawton concludes: “I’m very confident about Big Train’s future. Apart from playing live this year, we are also recording a new studio album for release in 2024 and are looking forward to taking Big Big Train across the Atlantic for Cruise To The Edge in March next year.”

We look forward to seeing you on the road.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. Ingenious Devices, coming June 30th; On Tour Aug/Sept '23!
« Reply #1196 on: February 07, 2023, 06:41:16 AM »
A little surprised they are returning to Cadogan after what happened last time, but I guess they’ll know better how to handle the sound issues from experience. Imagine those two might be filmed since each set is unique.

Sounds like plans for a US tour might get scuttled again due to proposed visa cost increases. The band have mentioned this would make coming to the states prohibitive.

https://mixmag.net/read/us-propose-increase-visa-fee-foreign-artists-touring-news?fbclid=IwAR3Duj6UtouLhwcymuXD-t5-H2hkjFbHjc0pr3BoTvJsHedXv8vLz225mUU
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 07:12:37 AM by HOF »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1197 on: February 07, 2023, 08:52:11 AM »
We are planning our honeymoon around hitting Ayreon in the middle of September. This tour definitely gives Scotland or Germany a leg up on where we might go.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kram

« Reply #1198 on: February 07, 2023, 12:49:30 PM »
A little surprised they are returning to Cadogan after what happened last time, but I guess they’ll know better how to handle the sound issues from experience. Imagine those two might be filmed since each set is unique.

Sounds like plans for a US tour might get scuttled again due to proposed visa cost increases. The band have mentioned this would make coming to the states prohibitive.

https://mixmag.net/read/us-propose-increase-visa-fee-foreign-artists-touring-news?fbclid=IwAR3Duj6UtouLhwcymuXD-t5-H2hkjFbHjc0pr3BoTvJsHedXv8vLz225mUU
I'm really hoping and praying they will play some US shows in 2024 around the time they're doing Cruise to The Edge. I would be willing to travel to another part of the country to see them if they do.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1199 on: February 10, 2023, 08:16:03 AM »
Alberto Bravin posted a short clip on his FB page of a keyboard solo he's working on. Doesn't say specifically this is for BBT, but it sure sounds like BBT. Not sure if this link will work, but it sounds really nice.

https://fb.watch/iC6eKPRV8e/

Offline Kram

« Reply #1200 on: February 10, 2023, 11:36:28 AM »
Alberto Bravin posted a short clip on his FB page of a keyboard solo he's working on. Doesn't say specifically this is for BBT, but it sure sounds like BBT. Not sure if this link will work, but it sounds really nice.

https://fb.watch/iC6eKPRV8e/
Sounds great!  I agree, sounds like NDV on drums.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1201 on: February 13, 2023, 04:18:19 AM »

I was at that show, and the sound problems were really only an issue in the front side galleries (where I was). Dave Longdon came up to talk to us and apologise during the interval, which was nice of him. I've got a ticket for the second show - these sold out pretty quickly, so I'm in the front side gallery again! I'll be able to let you know first hand if there's any sound issues.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1202 on: February 14, 2023, 09:13:40 PM »
Made an audio-rip of "Last Eleven" and made a Playlist of music released by BBT from last year.

The Journey Continues 2022 (33:03)
01. Last Eleven (7:48)
02. Master James Of St. George (Live At Aylesbury) (6:29)
03. Made From Sunshine (Live At Aylesbury) (4:16)
04. Intro To Bees (Live At Aylesbury) (1:01)
05. Telling The Bees (Live At Aylesbury) (7:03)
06. Snowfalls (Live At The Boerderij) (6:26)

It's a nice lil EP featuring music performed by the current line-up with Oskar and Alberto. I've listened to all of these separately but it'll be fun to hear it all in a row as we eventually prepare for their next full studio album (with Oskar and Alberto).

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1203 on: February 14, 2023, 09:32:57 PM »
Made an audio-rip of "Last Eleven" and made a Playlist of music released by BBT from last year.

It's a nice lil EP featuring music performed by the current line-up with Oskar and Alberto. I've listened to all of these separately but it'll be fun to hear it all in a row as we eventually prepare for their next full studio album (with Oskar and Alberto).

-Marc.

I'm blanking. Did they release footage/audio for Master James and Made From Sunshine from the Aylesbury show? Passengers Club maybe?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1204 on: February 14, 2023, 10:10:08 PM »

-Marc.

I'm blanking. Did they release footage/audio for Master James and Made From Sunshine from the Aylesbury show? Passengers Club maybe?

The audio was a special download for tour patrons only. Otherwise, only "Telling The Bees" was available for Passengers Club members (which has an intro by NDV that I separated into its own track via Audacity). And "Snowfalls" is on their Bandcamp.

Incidentally, the version of "Atlantic Cable" featured on the end of the forthcoming Ingenious Devices is from the Aylesbury show, so when that comes around, I may move it over to my Journey Continues playlist to fill that out to 48-minute+ album-length and rip it to CD-r.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 10:24:50 PM by The Letter M »

Offline HOF

« Reply #1205 on: February 15, 2023, 06:20:21 AM »

-Marc.

The audio was a special download for tour patrons only. Otherwise, only "Telling The Bees" was available for Passengers Club members (which has an intro by NDV that I separated into its own track via Audacity). And "Snowfalls" is on their Bandcamp.

Incidentally, the version of "Atlantic Cable" featured on the end of the forthcoming Ingenious Devices is from the Aylesbury show, so when that comes around, I may move it over to my Journey Continues playlist to fill that out to 48-minute+ album-length and rip it to CD-r.

-Marc.

Ah, that makes sense. I don’t think I had heard before which tracks were made available to the tour patrons.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1206 on: February 15, 2023, 07:04:04 AM »

I'm really hoping and praying they will play some US shows in 2024 around the time they're doing Cruise to The Edge. I would be willing to travel to another part of the country to see them if they do.

If they do, it's likely going to be Fort Wayne, IN and more than likely at Sweetwater, since that's Nick's day job (and mine), and it's an ideal place for them to rehearse. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1207 on: February 15, 2023, 12:02:40 PM »

If they do, it's likely going to be Fort Wayne, IN and more than likely at Sweetwater, since that's Nick's day job (and mine), and it's an ideal place for them to rehearse.
Then I would travel to Ft Wayne IN to see them.  Always wanted to checkout Sweetwater anyway.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1208 on: February 15, 2023, 12:03:35 PM »

-Marc.
That's awesome!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1209 on: February 15, 2023, 12:12:52 PM »

Then I would travel to Ft Wayne IN to see them.  Always wanted to checkout Sweetwater anyway.

They were slated to play at Sweetwater in 2020 on the “Tour That Never Was.” Almost certain they would hit it on any run in the states. Just not sure if it will be financially viable for them to come here. Maybe they can at least play in Canada (they had dates in Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City before).

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: February 16, 2023, 02:31:04 AM »
Today we can stream Brooklands on the Passengers Club site.

https://thepassengersclub.com/
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1211 on: February 16, 2023, 07:24:03 AM »
Immediate reaction is that I am not fond of that drum sound (very reverby, like they were recorded live in a stadium). The whole thing sounds very live though, so I’m guessing that’s what they were going for. Maybe they will sound a little better on CD (they sound squashed in the mix to me from the Soundcloud stream).

Otherwise, the orchestra does sound good and it is different enough from the original that it’s worth having. Might always prefer the original, but time will tell I guess.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1212 on: February 16, 2023, 11:52:41 AM »
I gotta say, I am actually not that excited for this release. I think the original recordings all sounded great. Yes, the alternate ending to Eastcoast Racer is awesome, but a full 2LP release? I don't know. I would have liked if they concentrated on their new line up and their new singer and released some original music instead.

BBT is usually an instant limited vinyl edition pre-order from Burning Shed even though shipping from England costs as much as a kidney. But this time I'm hesitating.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

« Reply #1213 on: February 16, 2023, 12:06:14 PM »
I gotta say, I am actually not that excited for this release. I think the original recordings all sounded great. Yes, the alternate ending to Eastcoast Racer is awesome, but a full 2LP release? I don't know. I would have liked if they concentrated on their new line up and their new singer and released some original music instead.

BBT is usually an instant limited vinyl edition pre-order from Burning Shed even though shipping from England costs as much as a kidney. But this time I'm hesitating.

This has been in the works for several years (the strings and re-recorded ECR were done in 2019 or earlier). The reason they are releasing it now is to raise some additional funds from the pre-order to offset the up front tour costs. I suppose it might have been preferable for them to finish and put out a new album with Alberto before doing further touring, but they’ve been trying to do this tour for three years now.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1214 on: February 20, 2023, 08:43:56 AM »
Interesting new David Longdon unreleased track up on his website today. It's a song that he and Danny Manners collaborated on back in 1997 when they were both in Louis Phillipe's band. I'd read about this before and I'm glad it was finally released.

https://davidlongdon.net/demos-and-unreleased-songs/?fbclid=IwAR3arLiVgxoUHybsb1d9N8modge6jCMcCgbWgIe9nfPcP8Mh8EAQ4a9aa8Y

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1215 on: February 21, 2023, 05:00:31 PM »
So, my viewing was delayed to watch with some friends who made the trip to Germany as well to see BBT among others at Night of the Prog.

But I have to say about Summer Shall Not Fade, the 5.1 mix is probably the greatest live recording I've ever heard.

It's absolutely stunning. Every instrument, heard clearly, and coming together perfectly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1216 on: February 21, 2023, 09:25:41 PM »
I have to agree.  It's amazing.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1217 on: February 25, 2023, 04:31:21 PM »
Does anyone love Upton Heath as much as I do?

I can be having the shittiest of shitty days and that song will always smooth the waters.  It is just so peaceful and ethereal and I cannot help but think of - and hope for - the day when I will again be reunited with my entire family in a beautiful place along a shoreline where there is no pain, no strife, and no sadness.  Just love.   :heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline HOF

« Reply #1218 on: February 25, 2023, 05:30:56 PM »
Does anyone love Upton Heath as much as I do?

I can be having the shittiest of shitty days and that song will always smooth the waters.  It is just so peaceful and ethereal and I cannot help but think of - and hope for - the day when I will again be reunited with my entire family in a beautiful place along a shoreline where there is no pain, no strife, and no sadness.  Just love.   :heart

Well, this prompted another listen of English Electric (actually had been listening to some yesterday). Definitely a beautiful song, which BBT seem to be able to write in their sleep.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1219 on: February 25, 2023, 06:28:51 PM »

They were slated to play at Sweetwater in 2020 on the “Tour That Never Was.” Almost certain they would hit it on any run in the states. Just not sure if it will be financially viable for them to come here. Maybe they can at least play in Canada (they had dates in Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City before).

I was really looking forward to seeing them on that show as well.  It was going to be an outdoor show, not too long after work, and it was supposed to be great weather that night!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/cwbgqkjudME

Tour and new album news update!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

-Marc.

And a snippet of new music being recorded! (spoilers I guess if you're worried about that). Sounded fantastic though!

Offline Kram

-Marc.
Saw this on Facebook.  The new clip sounds awesome!  Can't wait for the new album next year.  I really hope they figure out a way to play some shows in the US!

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/_wTYlRaWdQ0

A message from Alberto as he celebrates one year with BBT!

https://youtu.be/tOEd18p0iwA

Also looks like they'll be posting a live version of "The Florentine" from The Boerderij from last September.

At this rate, I'd pay for the whole concert video/audio!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 12:22:40 PM by The Letter M »

Offline Kram

https://youtu.be/_wTYlRaWdQ0

A message from Alberto as he celebrates one year with BBT!

https://youtu.be/tOEd18p0iwA

Also looks like they'll be posting a live version of "The Florentine" from The Boerderij from last September.

At this rate, I'd pay for the whole concert video/audio!

-Marc.
Alberto seems like such a cool dude.  He's in an impossible situation, as no one can replace David Longdon, but I love his positive spirit.  Digging his voice as well!