Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111288 times)

Offline Kram

I like to rank things, and right now these are my 10 favourite BBT songs. I haven't heard all of their stuff yet though.

Hedgerow (has overtaken JU as my #1)
Judas Unrepentant
The First Rebreather
Lost Rivers Of London
Swan Hunter
Folklore
Alive
The Strangest Times
Made From Sunshine
Lanterna

Well, my Top 10 would look so much different now that I've listened to them a lot over the course of this year :lol

Hedgerow is still my #1 though.
I'm in the same boat - meaning I've been listening to BBT A LOT this past year, way more than any other band.  It might be time for me to post a top 10 BBT songs list.  I think I'll work on that.  Looking at your original list, Laterna caught my eye. That's a great tune that I don't hear much about. A hidden little gem on Welcome to the Planet if you will,,

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Today it's been one year since we lost David. I'll be spending the rest of the day listening to some BBT, and his solo album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online HOF

Today it's been one year since we lost David. I'll be spending the rest of the day listening to some BBT, and his solo album.

Hard to believe it’s been a year.

Online HOF

New single/live video of Snowfalls from Zoetermeer. Absolutely tremendous!

https://www.loudersound.com/news/big-big-train-share-live-video-for-new-seasonal-single-snowfalls

For some reason I thought they only played this during their warm up gig, but I’m so glad we got footage of this as it is definitely one of my favorite BBT songs. The pedals at the end!!!

Offline The Letter M

https://www.loudersound.com/news/big-big-train-share-live-video-for-new-seasonal-single-snowfalls

For some reason I thought they only played this during their warm up gig, but I’m so glad we got footage of this as it is definitely one of my favorite BBT songs. The pedals at the end!!!

Just watched this and I agree, absolutely stunning. Looking at Setlist.fm, they did only play it at their 2 England gigs and not at De Boederij, but this performance is from the pre-show soundtrack. I guess they decided not to include it in the show for one reason or another. I'm glad they at least filmed this performance of it and released it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

That was awesome!  Yes the pedals at the end and Claire's solo - and great performance by Alberto!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never heard that song before, so that was a nice surprise.

Offline Fritzinger

It's a bit strange that this group of musicians is now called Big Big Train, but the band remains what it always was - a big big train in which everyone is a passenger.
Still it's strange to see this video of the band - without Rachel Hall, Danny Manners and Dave Gregory. And without David Longdon. They still sound great though and confidently bring this elegiac Spawton composition across the stage. I'm particularly impressed by Dave Foster on the two-necked Music Man.

Of course, Alberto Bravin does his job very well; very different from Longdon, more modern, maybe more conventional. But this recording shows that as a newcomer to this position that is so difficult to fill, he deserves at least one fair chance. At least he's not lacking in range and ability.

I'm excited what else he has to offer on upcoming recordings!
any rock can be made to roll

Online HOF

I've never heard that song before, so that was a nice surprise.

Oh, that’s definitely one you need to check out then. It’s off the 2-song Merry Christmas single from a few years back. Really powerful song and one of my favorites.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Wow, that was a nice song.  Also my first look at the new lineup.  I have the new album, but I've never seen them on video.

Online HOF

Just a heads up that the audio of this is now available to stream/download from Amazon (and other streaming sites I imagine. Surprisingly not on Bandcamp though).

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

Just a heads up that the audio of this is now available to stream/download from Amazon (and other streaming sites I imagine. Surprisingly not on Bandcamp though).

Funny, I was trying to see if their Bandcamp had it after watching it. Hoping they eventually add it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

Funny, I was trying to see if their Bandcamp had it after watching it. Hoping they eventually add it.

Greg has mentioned on FB that it'll be up on Bandcamp "at the weekend", so expect it in a day or two.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Harmony

Snowfalls gave me a bit of a breakdown.  I'm not gonna lie.  I mentioned on another thread about the night my sister died last year and how it snowed over her cul de sac as her way to say goodbye to her kids and family that night - when nowhere else around town was there any snow.  A beautiful but painful memory.

It's all good though.  Happy tears.  I miss her.  I miss David too.  But life goes on and we have the music and the memories.  :heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online HOF

Snowfalls gave me a bit of a breakdown.  I'm not gonna lie.  I mentioned on another thread about the night my sister died last year and how it snowed over her cul de sac as her way to say goodbye to her kids and family that night - when nowhere else around town was there any snow.  A beautiful but painful memory.

It's all good though.  Happy tears.  I miss her.  I miss David too.  But life goes on and we have the music and the memories.  :heart

:heart

Offline The Letter M

BBT has had so many emotionally moving and poignant songs, but ever since David's passing, there has been a bit of melancholy over their music with him that I feel every time I put on any BBT between 09-22. I've been spinning my Christmastime/Holiday/Winter compilation of BBT music this month and it just moves me every time.

Merry Christmas
Snowfalls
Meadowland
British Racing Green
Expecting Snow
Proper Jack Froster
Wassail
The Second Brightest Star
Don't Forget The Telescope
A Mead Hall In Winter
Brew And Burgh

...and that last one gets to me every time.

"Good friends are made and sometimes lost
A fellowship can fall to dust
But brothers, sisters found at last
Guide me from a wilderness"

This verse just hits different since David's passing, and I feel like the BBT Community of Passengers has gotten closer since then, so this lyric fits so well with that.

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

Greg has mentioned on FB that it'll be up on Bandcamp "at the weekend", so expect it in a day or two.

-Marc.

And Bandcamp alerted me to a new release on the BBT page. I'll be buying today.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Kram

It's on iTunes as well picked it up the other day.  It sounds great in my car lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just wanted to say that BBT has easily been my most listened to band this year. I discovered them quite late last year (around the time of David's passing), and I've just been playing the albums quite a lot this year. Mainly the ones from 2009-2017, the last three hasn't really been up to par with those earlier stuff IMHO. That said, it will be very interesting what the future holds with this new lineup and singer. Last Eleven is a good indication of that.

Online HOF

Just wanted to say that BBT has easily been my most listened to band this year. I discovered them quite late last year (around the time of David's passing), and I've just been playing the albums quite a lot this year. Mainly the ones from 2009-2017, the last three hasn't really been up to par with those earlier stuff IMHO. That said, it will be very interesting what the future holds with this new lineup and singer. Last Eleven is a good indication of that.

:tup :tup :tup

I agree that the run from The Underfall Yard through Grimspound is hard to top. I do really enjoy the last two albums though, and I think Grand Tour is kind of a sneaky good album. Basically there isn’t a bad album from these guys. And Last Eleven is really promising for what’s coming next. Can’t wait to see what they come up with.

Offline The Letter M

I agree that the run from The Underfall Yard through Grimspound is hard to top. I do really enjoy the last two albums though, and I think Grand Tour is kind of a sneaky good album. Basically there isn’t a bad album from these guys. And Last Eleven is really promising for what’s coming next. Can’t wait to see what they come up with.

Agreed, the run from 09-22 is absolutely stellar, and unrivaled, for me, for many bands' album runs that last that long - 9 studio albums, several EPs (one nearly album-length), four live albums, and a couple of compilations. Just stunning music all about. I think at a certain point in time, I kind of overplayed the Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS material for myself, so since Grand Tour, I've been indulging in their last three albums more, which feel like an era upon themselves. There's the TUY/FSDT era (you could also probably throw in TDM as well), the English Electric era (Parts I and II, the Make Some Noise EP and the Full Power compilation), the aforementioned F/G/TSBS era, and the GT/CG/WTTP era. Each chunk contains a certain stylistic approach to the songwriting and the lyrical content that has seen the band evolve their sound. If "Last Eleven" is a sign of things to come, I continue to be excited about whatever direction(s) the band will travel.

-Marc.

Offline Kram

Agreed, the run from 09-22 is absolutely stellar, and unrivaled, for me, for many bands' album runs that last that long - 9 studio albums, several EPs (one nearly album-length), four live albums, and a couple of compilations. Just stunning music all about. I think at a certain point in time, I kind of overplayed the Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS material for myself, so since Grand Tour, I've been indulging in their last three albums more, which feel like an era upon themselves. There's the TUY/FSDT era (you could also probably throw in TDM as well), the English Electric era (Parts I and II, the Make Some Noise EP and the Full Power compilation), the aforementioned F/G/TSBS era, and the GT/CG/WTTP era. Each chunk contains a certain stylistic approach to the songwriting and the lyrical content that has seen the band evolve their sound. If "Last Eleven" is a sign of things to come, I continue to be excited about whatever direction(s) the band will travel.

-Marc.
I agree with all of you guys and Zydar I'm right there with you - I discovered them in the summer of 2021 and easily my most listened to band and they've become my third favorite band of all time (only behind Rush and Dream Theater).

I love all of their albums from TUY til present, and I'll agree with HOF that Grand Tour is up there with the best of them.  I really like Common Ground and Welcome to the Planet as well.  I've mentioned this before but WTTP is missing that epic that all their other albums have, and that knocks it down a notch for me.  Common Ground has Atlantic Cable, which is amazing.  If Welcome to the Planet had an epic of that caliber, I think it'd be right up there with the rest.  But still like Letter M said, 9 albums of this caliber is just unheard of.  Amazing band and can't wait for some new music with Alberto.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Count me as another passenger that is new to the train based mainly on David's untimely death. My primary focus has been on the run of A Stone's Throw through Merchants Of Light.

Due to my obsession with that run I have not paid as much attention as I probably should to the other stuff. I've probably only listened to Grand Tour twice, same with Common Ground. I still don't think I have actually given a listen to Welcome To The World yet. I have everything from The Difference Machine onward so I will eventually get back to some of that other stuff. Stone's Throw and Folklore have gotten the most listens by a longshot.

I'm loving what I am hearing out of Alberto so I am looking forward to what's to come. Snowfalls was just excellent with him so I am excited.

Offline The Letter M

Count me as another passenger that is new to the train based mainly on David's untimely death. My primary focus has been on the run of A Stone's Throw through Merchants Of Light.

Due to my obsession with that run I have not paid as much attention as I probably should to the other stuff. I've probably only listened to Grand Tour twice, same with Common Ground. I still don't think I have actually given a listen to Welcome To The World yet. I have everything from The Difference Machine onward so I will eventually get back to some of that other stuff. Stone's Throw and Folklore have gotten the most listens by a longshot.

I'm loving what I am hearing out of Alberto so I am looking forward to what's to come. Snowfalls was just excellent with him so I am excited.

I can tell you haven't listened to their latest album yet since it's titled Welcome To The Planet. :lol

You definitely need to get deeper into the English Electric material more. The Full Power compilation is honestly one of my favorite albums of the 2010s. If I had to pick one double album from the 2010s to listen to for the rest of my life, it might be EEFP.

-Marc.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
English Electric: Full Power is a near flawless album. Listening to it recently, the only thing I found I really don't like is the long instrumental section of Keeper of Abbeys. It goes on too long and goes nowhere. The first half of the song is great, but it would been better as a more concise 3.5 - 4 minute song.

Online HOF

English Electric: Full Power is a near flawless album. Listening to it recently, the only thing I found I really don't like is the long instrumental section of Keeper of Abbeys. It goes on too long and goes nowhere. The first half of the song is great, but it would been better as a more concise 3.5 - 4 minute song.

What’s funny is there is an edited version of Keeper of Abbeys (the “Branch Line edition” that appeared on the Make Some Noise EP) that is over a minute shorter but the solo is the same. I think it’s a great solo personally (Dave Gregory is amazing!). It doesn’t really need to go anywhere since it’s just an extended outro. One of those solos that if it was faded out much earlier some people would say “why did they fade it so soon!” ;-)

Offline Kram

What’s funny is there is an edited version of Keeper of Abbeys (the “Branch Line edition” that appeared on the Make Some Noise EP) that is over a minute shorter but the solo is the same. I think it’s a great solo personally (Dave Gregory is amazing!). It doesn’t really need to go anywhere since it’s just an extended outro. One of those solos that if it was faded out much earlier some people would say “why did they fade it so soon!” ;-)
I like Keeper of the Abbeys just the way it is thank you.  EEFP is a top 5 all-time album from anybody for me.  19 perfect songs as far as I'm concerned.  And while I consider it their best and crowning achievement - everything they've released since has been amazingly consistent in terms of the quality of songwriting and musicianship.  Just an incredible band and I'm thankful for you guys for helping me discover them!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

I can tell you haven't listened to their latest album yet since it's titled Welcome To The Planet. :lol

You definitely need to get deeper into the English Electric material more. The Full Power compilation is honestly one of my favorite albums of the 2010s. If I had to pick one double album from the 2010s to listen to for the rest of my life, it might be EEFP.

-Marc.

:facepalm:

I was even trying to make sure I got the name right. Instead, I named one of my all time favorite albums by Psycho Motel.

Oh well, I feel this is a great time to point out one of the greatest Christmas songs ever written:

Beardfish - ...And Terry Takes The Christmas Route

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nnZ-k2UY2o

Rikard is just awesome.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 11:39:42 AM by ProfessorPeart »

Offline The Letter M

Today's Passenger Club update is "East Coast Racer" from Thronden Hall last summer, with the most recent touring line-up. I've been at work so I haven't had time to watch it yet, but I'm excited to watch it!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/P0fUJvy3U5Y

Big Big Train - Ingenious Devices Teaser

Seems like new music is on the way sooner than I thought!

-Marc.

Online HOF

-Marc.

Nice! They mentioned this release in Between the Lines. These were the same string sessions that they did for Voyager. According to the book, they tracked strings for a new arrangement of East Coast Racer and Brooklands. I’m not sure what all else they plan to include but hopefully there is some new music as well!

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.

Nice! They mentioned this release in Between the Lines. These were the same string sessions that they did for Voyager. According to the book, they tracked strings for a new arrangement of East Coast Racer and Brooklands. I’m not sure what all else they plan to include but hopefully there is some new music as well!

Interesting, since those three songs (Voyager, Brooklands, and East Coast Racer), were said to be part of the "Man & Machine" trilogy, I think by Greg. They all relate to machines made by man and all ended up being epics on their respective albums. It would be neat to see them all tied together for a re-done compilation of sorts, with new arrangements, and perhaps with Alberto singing/the current band performing new parts. I guess we will have to wait and see what it could be!

-Marc.

Online HOF

-Marc.

Interesting, since those three songs (Voyager, Brooklands, and East Coast Racer), were said to be part of the "Man & Machine" trilogy, I think by Greg. They all relate to machines made by man and all ended up being epics on their respective albums. It would be neat to see them all tied together for a re-done compilation of sorts, with new arrangements, and perhaps with Alberto singing/the current band performing new parts. I guess we will have to wait and see what it could be!

-Marc.

Oh, that would make sense. I hadn’t put that together, but he definitely has talked about those three being part of a trilogy.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
BIG BIG TRAIN ANNOUNCEMENT – CARLY BRYANT LEAVES & OSKAR HOLLDORFF JOINS BBT

After careful consideration, Carly Bryant has decided to leave Big Big Train.
Carly says: “Leaving Big Big Train has been a very difficult decision. My family commitments meant I was unable to join the band on stage for last autumn’s shows. Looking ahead for the next couple of years, those commitments will continue to make it very challenging for me to be away from home for any prolonged period. As BBT have significant touring plans for 2023 and 2024, I’ve concluded that it’s best for me and for the band that I now step away as I don’t want to be forever having to say no. Having seen him play so brilliantly at the band’s Aylesbury show last September, I know that Oskar will do a fantastic job going forwards. I have loved my time in BBT; they are the best band, have the best team around them and the best fans!”
Oskar comments: “I enjoyed every minute of Big Big Train’s shows last September deputising for Carly and am delighted to be stepping into the band on a permanent basis going forwards. BBT’s plans for this year and beyond are very exciting and it’s an honour to follow Carly in the keyboards role and play alongside Rikard Sjöblom and the rest of this fantastic band. I will also be continuing to play in Dim Gray, so I’m looking forward to being super busy for the foreseeable future.”
Gregory Spawton adds: “We’re hugely grateful to Carly for her contributions to Big Big Train’s last two studio albums, Common Ground and Welcome To The Planet. While Carly is saying goodbye to Big Big Train, she is in the early stages of making her next solo album. BBT’s English Electric Recordings label will be releasing the album, so we will remain closely in contact with her. Oskar performed brilliantly on stage with BBT last September. I have been working with him on new material in the last few weeks and I know that he will make a great contribution to the band going forwards both live and in the studio.”
Look out for plenty of further BBT news in the coming weeks.

Offline The Letter M

Not the BBT news I wanted to hear, but life moves on. I wish Carly all the best and I look forward to hearing her solo album! I'm glad her connection with the band won't be completely severed.

As for Oskar, I guess performing on "Last Eleven" was more than just a one-off thing! Can't wait to hear what he can do one the next album!

With Oskar now fully in the band, they are so much more a multinational supergroup than ever! We've got Italy (Alberto), Sweden (Rikard), Norway (Oskar), USA (Nick), Scotland (Clare), and England (Dave and Greg). The evolution of BBT continues and I'm excited for it!

-Marc.