Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111301 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Two full listens done, The Singer And The Song is the highlight so far.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online HOF

Heads up for anyone who doesn't have the Dyble Longdon CD, Bandwagon has it discounted to $5 (and only has a limited number of copies left):

https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/dyble-longdon/products/dyble-longdon-between-a-breath-and-a-breath-cd

Offline The Letter M

Got my shipping confirmation email and tracking for my SSNF & DO Bundle order! Cannot wait to watch the Loreley show!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Got my shipping confirmation email and tracking for my SSNF & DO Bundle order! Cannot wait to watch the Loreley show!

-Marc.

Same here, although it just tells me the label was created. Shipping from Ohio so shouldn't take too long to get to Illinois.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online HOF

Same. Hoping to have mine by the end of the week.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I will either have these today or tomorrow. As of 4am today it was 35-40 minutes away. Thing is, my mail is usually here by 10am so I am hoping it gets to my post office on time, otherwise I will definitely have it tomorrow.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

I will either have these today or tomorrow. As of 4am today it was 35-40 minutes away. Thing is, my mail is usually here by 10am so I am hoping it gets to my post office on time, otherwise I will definitely have it tomorrow.

Best of luck! My package updated today from being delivered on Monday to today! Sadly I'll be at work while it's delivered but it'll be a nice surprise to come home to, and I'll have all weekend to watch the Loreley concert as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
My copy has just arrived! I'll be watching the BluRay tonight.

Online HOF

Just finished my first few listens to Door One. Need a little more time to form an impression, but I will say “side 2” was quite moving.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Won't get mine until tomorrow. It left the distribution center about the time my mail was delivered.

Online HOF

On my first run through of Summer Shall Not Fade. My goodness, Summer’s Lease was astounding. Wet eyes here.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Watching the Blu. I mentioned this before, but I love how they mixed Greg on this. Some nice loud, clear bass.

Also, is it just my copy, or does Danny and Robin's fingers sometimes go out of phase with the space time continuum when they are playing? Guessing it is a light and camera thing but it is a little weird. Otherwise, all good so far. Kingmaker just started.

Online HOF

Watching the Blu. I mentioned this before, but I love how they mixed Greg on this. Some nice loud, clear bass.

Also, is it just my copy, or does Danny and Robin's fingers sometimes go out of phase with the space time continuum when they are playing? Guessing it is a light and camera thing but it is a little weird. Otherwise, all good so far. Kingmaker just started.

I noticed the finger thing too. Wasn’t sure if it was an effect or what. There also seems to be some sound issues on Transit of Venus and The Permanent Wave. The volume seems to come and go a bit, but I only noticed it on those two tracks. There’s also a lot of LED blue light washing out the picture at times. I know they didn’t really plan ahead of time for filming, so that’s to be expected. They had similar issues on Reflectors of Light. The shots at the beginning of the set when it was still twilight were really gorgeous though.

And yes, Greg sounds great on this. He really is a remarkable bassist. He’s not flashy but he just has a great melodic sensibility that can really bring a song to life.

Offline The Letter M

Watched the BD earlier tonight and loved it. I think I did notice some odd visual and audio things but it didn't bother me all the much. I was just trying not to be overly emotional watching the whole thing, especially with so much focus on David. I'm glad we finally have this documentation of their 2018 shows, and now there exists audio and video or each of their stint of shows from 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2019.

I don't even mind that there is a lot of overlap between all of these live shows. Do I need four live versions of "Wassail" and "East Coast Racer"? Probably not, but I'll gladly enjoy every minute of them!

-Marc.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
What a great BluRay this is.

And it only took me until now to realise that it's Nick who's singing the "Bring word of your engines and designs" in Mead Hall - I've always somehow thought it was Rikard.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
What a great BluRay this is.

And it only took me until now to realise that it's Nick who's singing the "Bring word of your engines and designs" in Mead Hall - I've always somehow thought it was Rikard.

:lol

You need to get on that Beardfish and Gungfly discovery so you can get used to Rikard's voice.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh yeah. I forgot about that discovery :P

Online HOF

One of the things that stood out (or more was reinforced) from this concert is just how great all of the vocalists in the band at that time were (David, Nick, Rikard, and Rachel). Not only are they all strong singers, they blended really well and really did make for some wonderful harmonies.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
The backing vocals stuck out to me as well. I was thinking how good NDV and Rikard sounded together and then Rachel when she joined in as well. Thankfully, NDV and Rikard are still around so that dynamic should stay nice and stable.

Offline The Letter M

One of the things that stood out (or more was reinforced) from this concert is just how great all of the vocalists in the band at that time were (David, Nick, Rikard, and Rachel). Not only are they all strong singers, they blended really well and really did make for some wonderful harmonies.

The backing vocals stuck out to me as well. I was thinking how good NDV and Rikard sounded together and then Rachel when she joined in as well. Thankfully, NDV and Rikard are still around so that dynamic should stay nice and stable.

Agreed - the vocal mix on this live album is superb, probably some of their best from the live stage. Having watched the BD once and listened to the CDs a couple of times, I can tell there is a bit of a difference between the two. The CDs sound a bit crisper, IMO, and everything feels mixed well with having a stereo CD mix in mind. They also excluded most of the between-song chatter from David, so the CDs get right to the music (which I prefer, though I know some folks like having all the chatter and banter between songs).

I guess this and Door One will be the last things we'll get with David Longdon, unless there are more un-earthed demos he wrote for his own solo work, or for BBT, which, if found, will hopefully be uploaded to the Passengers Club!

-Marc.

Online HOF

Agreed - the vocal mix on this live album is superb, probably some of their best from the live stage. Having watched the BD once and listened to the CDs a couple of times, I can tell there is a bit of a difference between the two. The CDs sound a bit crisper, IMO, and everything feels mixed well with having a stereo CD mix in mind. They also excluded most of the between-song chatter from David, so the CDs get right to the music (which I prefer, though I know some folks like having all the chatter and banter between songs).

I guess this and Door One will be the last things we'll get with David Longdon, unless there are more un-earthed demos he wrote for his own solo work, or for BBT, which, if found, will hopefully be uploaded to the Passengers Club!

-Marc.

I think there may be quite a bit of unreleased DL-related music between his solo stuff, The Gifthorse, and any bits for BBT that haven’t been put out yet (I know there are still some Hope demos yet to come). Plus they plan to re-issue his first solo album Wild River in the near future.

Have you checked out the unreleased stuff on the new David Longdon website? It makes me wonder if there is enough music by The Gifthorse for some sort of official release.

https://davidlongdon.net/demos-and-unreleased-songs/

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I became a subscribed Passenger yesterday, I'm checking out some videos and stuff now.

Online HOF

I became a subscribed Passenger yesterday, I'm checking out some videos and stuff now.

:tup

There’s a lot to check out!

Online HOF

New video for an extra David Longdon track from the Door One sessions, The Treachery of Memory.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/previously-unheard-david-longdon-song-released?fbclid=IwAR1wvWGIM2SKLlBHOrv8pCQK_e7NLtlFxFl-BEs5UpQ_KU0fxpT5GKtrAEM

It’s too bad he left this off the album as it’s really lovely and I think the album could have benefited from a little more subject matter variety.

Offline The Letter M

New video for an extra David Longdon track from the Door One sessions, The Treachery of Memory.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/previously-unheard-david-longdon-song-released?fbclid=IwAR1wvWGIM2SKLlBHOrv8pCQK_e7NLtlFxFl-BEs5UpQ_KU0fxpT5GKtrAEM

It’s too bad he left this off the album as it’s really lovely and I think the album could have benefited from a little more subject matter variety.

I've had the Belle Antique/Japanese release of Door One for about a week and a half and it includes "The Treachery Of Memory" as the penultimate track. It is a really beautiful song and I'm surprised they decided to make a video for it and release afterwards. Either way, I'm glad everyone can hear it now and not be forced to import the Japanese edition (though I was going to anyways).

My collection of BBT/related albums on the English Electric Records label, plus six Belle Antique releases. Hard to believe how far this band has come and how amazingly consistent their output has been. When I became a fan ten years ago, I had no idea how deep my love for them would become, but here we are ten years later and my collection has grown from 7 to 35 and growing.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

Kingmaker Management just posted in the BBT Facebook group:

Big Big News Coming Very Soon.

I can only imagine it's new album information, possibly a release date? Or maybe more live show dates for 2023? If they announce some NA Shows, I'm breaking into my savings account to go.

-Marc.

Online HOF

Kingmaker Management just posted in the BBT Facebook group:

Big Big News Coming Very Soon.

I can only imagine it's new album information, possibly a release date? Or maybe more live show dates for 2023? If they announce some NA Shows, I'm breaking into my savings account to go.

-Marc.

I’d guess it’s tour related since we know they’ve been working on dates and we also know they have dates for starting recording for the new album next May.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
They're announcing Cruise to the Edge bands today and Alberto's old band PFM is already confirmed, maybe they're lined up as well?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

They're announcing Cruise to the Edge bands today and Alberto's old band PFM is already confirmed, maybe they're lined up as well?

Hmm makes sense, and they'll probably announce further 2024 dates surrounding the Cruise if they're a part of that as well.

-Marc.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick

I'm a genius :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

Good call!  :lol  I'm hoping they eventually announce some shows along the East Coast (let's go DC!) so I don't have to travel too far, but if it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I may save up to travel further for them.

This also cements NDV's appearance on the Cruise, which means he, Neal Morse, and Ross Jennings will be there. I wonder if they'll be playing any of their DMJ music from Troika (or the upcoming album they've been working on).

-Marc.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick

Good call!  :lol  I'm hoping they eventually announce some shows along the East Coast (let's go DC!) so I don't have to travel too far, but if it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I may save up to travel further for them.

This also cements NDV's appearance on the Cruise, which means he, Neal Morse, and Ross Jennings will be there. I wonder if they'll be playing any of their DMJ music from Troika (or the upcoming album they've been working on).

-Marc.

I hope so. They were all on the cruise this year too and I was waiting for that to happen but it never quite materialized.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

You can just use an...

East Coast Racer.

Offline The Letter M

You can just use an...

East Coast Racer.

Hah!  :lol

As an important note, while I began this thread on Nov. 2nd, 2012, it was on THIS day ten years ago that I ordered the 6-CD TERA Bundle from BBT's website, as well as the recently released English Electric (Part One). The bundle included their remastered releases of Goodbye To The Age Of Steam, English Boy Wonders, Gathering Speed, and The Difference Machine, as well as their most recent releases of The Underfall Yard and Far Skies Deep Time. It cost me $76.45 for all seven albums back then (roughly $104.48 via Inflation Calculator, though getting those albums now would probably cost a LOT more on the secondary market), which was a STEAL for what I was getting back then at about $10.92 per album. It was the beginning of a long journey that continues to today, and while bands like Rush and Dream Theater are evergreen favorites, BBT fastly grew to become my favorite band of the last ten years, and I look forward to the next ten. I'm sad I never got to see them live with David up front, but I am forever grateful and thankful that the band have chosen to continue onward with Alberto, and I hope that they can come to the US so that I may still have a chance to see them live!

-Marc.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I like to rank things, and right now these are my 10 favourite BBT songs. I haven't heard all of their stuff yet though.

Hedgerow (has overtaken JU as my #1)
Judas Unrepentant
The First Rebreather
Lost Rivers Of London
Swan Hunter
Folklore
Alive
The Strangest Times
Made From Sunshine
Lanterna

Well, my Top 10 would look so much different now that I've listened to them a lot over the course of this year :lol

Hedgerow is still my #1 though.