Author Topic: Mr. Big  (Read 10864 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mr. Big
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2024, 08:19:15 PM »
Looking at pictures of shows on FB and Twitter, they appear to have a 5th musician on stage with them. Anyone know who that is/what it’s about?

Edit: Looks like it’s a guy named Jared James Nichols and he’s essentially doubling Eric’s leads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tSvzhT65mHY&pp=ygUHTXIuIEJpZw%3D%3D

EDT 2: I think Jared James Nichols was the opener. Not sure who the guy singing with them is.

Michele Luppi
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2024, 08:20:07 PM »
Looking at pictures of shows on FB and Twitter, they appear to have a 5th musician on stage with them. Anyone know who that is/what it’s about?

Edit: Looks like it’s a guy named Jared James Nichols and he’s essentially doubling Eric’s leads.

EDT 2: I think Jared James Nichols was the opener. Not sure who the guy singing with them is.

Michele Luppi

Right, Eric Martin mentioned this the other day. Michele Luppi has always been my answer to those silly Who should DT get if James left..threads.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2024, 08:23:38 PM »

Michele Luppi

Right, Eric Martin mentioned this the other day. Michele Luppi has always been my answer to those silly Who should DT get if James left..threads.

Huh, yeah here is his FB post about it.

https://www.facebook.com/100044290993283/posts/pfbid0bBP7NCQ6VtnpqVPKpyvJZ7grwubCxAWj9YBvLCPHCUuGoS2cZUDBhjbzb5fSkLP7l/?app=fbl

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2024, 08:27:31 AM »
Michele Luppi

Yeah, he's basically giving Mr Big the support he gave David Coverdale in Whitesnake. 

Online Azyiu

« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2024, 09:14:12 AM »
A few quick thoughts on the London show.

1. Jared James Nichols, the same guy who opened for the Winery Dogs last June, as the opening act is alright, but I am not crazy about his music.[/li][/list]
2. I have seen the band in 2014 and 2018, but the energy level, especially Eric's, was not as high as before this time.[/li][/list]
3. Speaking of Eric, he sadly seems to have lost his range. He couldn't quite hit those high notes consistently. He even stopped singing and pretended to let the audience sing the song(s) like a few lines in "To Be With You". Both Paul and Billy are very capable singers in their rights, and they do a good job of covering it up for Eric.
4. Many have mentioned a 5th member on stage, and, indeed, he was pretty much singing every song in the backup. His voice was mixed down quite a bit, but you can hear him.
5. Maybe it is just me. If it is indeed their final tour as Mr Big, I'd rather they finish the show with more of their original songs instead of playing several covers.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2024, 10:26:59 AM »
My wife and I talked about this. Gotta say, if they are still using this guy when Mr. Big gets to us (mid-May), we're not going. She doesn't want to see Mr. Big with some singer propping up Eric. She saw them back in the day (she's on the Mr. Big live dvd multiple times - the one that was shot at the Warfield), and we both saw them in San Fran during the What If tour, and they were great. I don't want to see Eric struggle.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2024, 11:36:43 AM »
My wife and I talked about this. Gotta say, if they are still using this guy when Mr. Big gets to us (mid-May), we're not going. She doesn't want to see Mr. Big with some singer propping up Eric. She saw them back in the day (she's on the Mr. Big live dvd multiple times - the one that was shot at the Warfield), and we both saw them in San Fran during the What If tour, and they were great. I don't want to see Eric struggle.

I can understand since you've got experiences to reflect back on.  But honestly, I really like this idea.  It keeps them being completely live and probably is easier on your ears.  It's the final tour so if this is how they need to finish it out, so be it.  It sucks, but I respect them keeping it real and live.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2024, 12:22:10 PM »
I don't have a problem bringing in a guy for three or four shows if Eric is sick and his voice is an issue, to keep the tour going. But if this is what it will be for the entirety of the rest of the tour, that's different.

Trust me, I *want* to go see them. But if this becomes the standard, lets prop up Eric because he can't sing, then no interest.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2024, 12:23:22 PM »

Trust me, I *want* to go see them. But if this becomes the standard, lets prop up Eric because he can't sing, then no interest.

Thank you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2024, 12:35:42 PM »
I don't have a problem bringing in a guy for three or four shows if Eric is sick and his voice is an issue, to keep the tour going. But if this is what it will be for the entirety of the rest of the tour, that's different.

If it were not the final tour, I'd agree with you.  If he can't sing, don't put him out there, but I guess they are knee deep in it and just trying to make it to the finish line without throwing in the towel.  I can respect that.

Offline HOF

« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2024, 12:39:35 PM »
Hey, at the very least it shows an awareness and acknowledgement of the condition of Eric's voice, and rather than just carrying on with a lousy show like nothing is wrong, they are taking some steps to improve the concert experience. It is what it is, and I guess I can see not wanting to listen to the band in that state, but I think maybe having the backup singer will at least make for a better concert experience?

If it were me, I'd go just to see Billy, Paul, and NDV do their thing probably.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2024, 12:41:47 PM »
Michele Luppi is amazing and I'd be way more interested if he just took over vocals.