Poll

Scorpions or Def Leppard?

Scorpions
29 (61.7%)
Def Leppard
18 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Scorpions or Def Leppard?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Scorpions or Def Leppard?
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 01:15:01 PM »
Animal Magnetism is a klunker. I’ve never even bothered to get it onCD.

Big Scorps fan here, and I tend to think like you, TAC. AM is a klunker. Except that, the run from Fly to the Rainbow to Love at First Sting is fantastic. After that, I just love Face the Heat and more recently Humanity : Hour 1 which is, for me, a real return to form.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline jammindude

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »

Love that album. 20th Century Man, Falling in Love, Only a Man, The Zoo, THE FREAKIN AMAZING TITLE TRACK!! Even Hold Me Tight..  Womaaaaaaaaaaan I get you OUTTA MY SIGHT!!! (Out of your sight honaayyy)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 01:43:48 PM »

Love that album. 20th Century Man, Falling in Love, Only a Man, The Zoo, THE FREAKIN AMAZING TITLE TRACK!! Even Hold Me Tight..  Womaaaaaaaaaaan I get you OUTTA MY SIGHT!!! (Out of your sight honaayyy)

Me too:  of the "big four" (the post-Roth albums:  Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout, and Love At First Sting) I listen to AM most of all.   I love that song "Falling In Love"... the only song I don't really care for is The Zoo, actually.   

Oh, and "In Trance" has perhaps my favorite album cover of all time (or at least top five).  And no, that's NOT the controversial one. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »
Totally agree that the output after Sting is very spotty.

But still...up to, and including Sting is an 8 album run with no klunkers. That’s tough to beat.

I think that takes it too far.  I know a lot of people like the Roth-era albums, and they all have their high points, but they're really spotty.  The Lovedrive through Sting era is where the band really found its sound.

Animal Magnetism is the worst of that bunch, but it has a bunch of highlights (which is to say that it's not a bad album but it's overshadowed by the others).  Make It Real, Falling in Love and Only a Man are all strong "pop metal" tracks, and Lady Starlight is an amazing ballad.  I'm of two minds about The Zoo.  It was cool the first time I heard it, but I will rarely listen anymore because it's SO SLOW and plodding, and the live versions with the audience participation segment are basically unlistenable (a lot like Maiden's Running Free in that regard).  The title track is just meh....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 02:56:17 PM »
Went with Lepp. Never a Scorpions fan. I mean, some of the hits are good, and I respect Klaus as a vocalist. Just were never my thing. I am not a huge Lepp fan either, but dig them more for sure (at least through the record that had Paper Sun and Promises. Haven't liked anything since then, but haven't checked out the self-titled either).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »

Me too:  of the "big four" (the post-Roth albums:  Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout, and Love At First Sting) I listen to AM most of all.   I love that song "Falling In Love"... the only song I don't really care for is The Zoo, actually.   

Oh, and "In Trance" has perhaps my favorite album cover of all time (or at least top five).  And no, that's NOT the controversial one.

Totally with you. And there’s an uncensored version of that cover too.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »
I don't listen to Scorpions at all and grew up with Def, but I must say Scorpions wins this one.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »

Totally with you. And there’s an uncensored version of that cover too.

I have it.  Not that noticeable in a thumbnail on line, but on vinyl, the 'blacked out' areas are very noticeable.   It's not really that bad uncensored, at least not relative to two or three others in the catalogue. I'd love to see a picture of that model in a different context.