Author Topic: [Movie] Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Isolde

[Movie] Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »
What did anyone think of this movie.

I'll start:

firstly not staring with Harry at the Dursleys was a huge deal to me. I don't know if Yates wanted to be different or something but it WAS indeed different. And Harry flirting with that 'muggle' girl? *ugh* WHY? some say WHY NOT! and that's fine. its a matter of personal opinion and if you're a fan of the BOOKS or the MOVIES...

From this point on things were done well:

1) Slughorn and the couch   :hefdaddy  :biggrin: HILARIOUS and very well done!

2) how Harry acted while under the influence of Felix Felcis was MAGNIFICENT! ("harry?" "professor?!") It was very good!

Some things that were missing.

1) When Harry is dropped off at the burrow by Dumbeldore, Dumbeldore is supposed to show appreciation for Harry in the broom closet outside the Weasleys house and while at the burrow, their OWLs were supposed to be received (Harry, Hermione, Ron) and the whole buzz of choosing classes NEWT year was missing.

2) The Ginny/Harry kiss .. was odd, to say the least. The books version was much better. Ron witnessed the kiss and prior to this Ron scolded Ginny for snogging guys in public... Then after the one Quidditch match Harry just grabs Ginny and kisses her.. forgetting about everyone around them.. including Ron. Then Ron gives Harry a look of *"well, if you must"* That was very comedic and disappointed me that it was missing

3) The Gaunts memory: I felt that this showed us more about Voldemort (as did the memory of when Tom was working at Borgin and Burkes and he went to visit that lady and she showed him two things that end up becoming horcruxes for him.). If this would have been included in the movie it could have made the horcruxes clearer to just movie fans ...

4) How fast things moved was  a set back for me while i was considering people who have not read the books. I've read these books many times and for me it was easy to follow because the day we went to see the movie i was wrapping up reading the book. Because the book was so fresh in my mind and I've read it so many times it made the movie so easy for me to follow. However, my mom who hasn't read the books was a bit lost and i don't think she totally understands horcruxes either... its a shame.

5) The MIA Hogwarts Battle near the end: at first this bothered me but after i thought about it and thought about the BIG BATTLE in the seventh movie - part 2 I was okay with them leaving this out because how much battle stuff do you think they can come up with to do in flim... you don't want a repeat of near the same actions in two "back to back" movies ... I'd rather they wait and have a big bang finish!

6)Dumbeldores Funeral missing also bothered me a bit.  I recently heard though that they MAY start movie 7.1 with Dumbeldores funeral. That would please me greatly. (the merpeople singing their lament. fawkes flying around, the white coffin, the centaurs arrow tribute... all that is missed.)

What do you think!?

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
Re: [Movie] Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 08:28:58 PM »
I haven't read the book so I don't know. Since this isn't really a review, I recommend taking it to the discussion thread here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=2993.0

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:51:07 AM »
I think that we've got a huge fangirl on our hands haha. I agree with your fourth point though; even though they had a lot to fit into the screenplay, it could have used work so as to not feel so rushed.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:00:22 AM »
I saw it, and was hugely disappointed. 

My big question was: where was the plot?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »
Yeah, if the plot was discovering who this Half-Blood Prince was (that putting the main "let's stop Voldemort from destroying the world" plot that has been going on in the whole series aside), they didn't spend enough time developing that. Snape plays a mayor role in this 6th installment of the series, he should have had more screen time.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Isolde

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:00:30 AM »
Yeah, if the plot was discovering who this Half-Blood Prince was (that putting the main "let's stop Voldemort from destroying the world" plot that has been going on in the whole series aside), they didn't spend enough time developing that. Snape plays a mayor role in this 6th installment of the series, he should have had more screen time.

The Half Blood Prince plot wasn't developed enough! Considering how much publicity Snape got (Friend or Foe, when the 7th book came out) i expected the director/producers to want to involve Snape more, and another reason is because how Harry always has these theories about how Snape is evil and Dumbeldore should not trust him. I expected more out of that   ::)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:03:20 AM »
I'll give you two options.

A) You read the stickies at the top of this section, make the original post conform with the guidelines and make the follow up post where necessary.

B) This gets moved to general discussion, and possibly merged with another thread if there is already one on the subject.

Let me know.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Isolde

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:38:51 AM »
I'll give you two options.

A) You read the stickies at the top of this section, make the original post conform with the guidelines and make the follow up post where necessary.

B) This gets moved to general discussion, and possibly merged with another thread if there is already one on the subject.

Let me know.

I dont care where this gets moved to but i would like it moved so Nick (and others) can stop asking for it to be moved. Just tell me how and we can make this happen!  :angel: