Author Topic: LTE Bonus Disc - 2008  (Read 613 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
LTE Bonus Disc - 2008
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:28:46 AM »
I recently found out about the collection of otherwise unreleased improvisated jam that took place in the 2008 reunion tour. Apparently, the band allowed itself to have some extended breaks to loosen up and create something from scratch. This is a trait I personally encourage and appreciate in prog bands. I really wish DT would still do something like that...

Anyway, the results? Stunning!

Check it out yourself :tup  https://grooveshark.com/#!/album/LTE+Bonus+Disc/4191493 

I especially suggest giving the Chicago Jam a good listen. It's really amazing (and it happened before the keyboard broke!)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: LTE Bonus Disc - 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »
I always thought they should have taken one of the improv slots and developed a song throughout the tour.  It's how they wrote, anyway.  Start with the improve jam on the first night, and carry it over each night developing, tweaking and perfecting it over the next 8 shows.  If it only took 4 shows to get it to where they wanted, then start again. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »
I always thought they should have taken one of the improv slots and developed a song throughout the tour.  It's how they wrote, anyway.  Start with the improve jam on the first night, and carry it over each night developing, tweaking and perfecting it over the next 8 shows.  If it only took 4 shows to get it to where they wanted, then start again.

I can't post you the evidence, but I believe DT itself did something like this during the summer Yes tour in 2004. The results were once again more than impressive (IMHO surpassing the whole octavarium album in 13 minutes).

Anyway, I agree with you. If a second LTE reunion happens, it would be cool to see this idea brought to life  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »
 :o   That's pretty wild  :o

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
I love that disc. It was the first disc I burned for the car when I bought the box set.