Author Topic: What awesome music have you discovered cuz of MP and his projects?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline PetFish

MP ---> Adrenaline Mob (Omerta) ---> Lzzy Hale (Come Undone) ---> Halestorm

With MP working with soooooo many musicians over soooooo many projects has it resulted in you finding some music that you probably wouldn't have found any other way?

I can't think of any other way I would have discovered Halestorm if it weren't for the Duran Duran cover MP did with Adrenaline Mob.  It started with me hearing the guest vox, finding out who it was, then spending the next 2.5 hours 'til 1am just Youtubing everything I could and I've been hooked ever since.

So, thanks MP for introducing me to Lzzy Hale and Halestorm.   :metal

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: What awesome music have you discovered cuz of MP and his projects?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:40 PM »
After checking out A Mob, I disocovered Russell Allen, who led me to discover (aside from Symphony X) Ayreon, for whom he did guest vocals. Then after checking out Ayreon's The Human Equation I discovered the singer James LaBrie. After that I discovered his solo drummer Mike Mangini. After looking into Mike Mangini I discovered his new band Dream Theater.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
He introduced me to Alpha Rev (who I like, but I'm am not a huge fan of) after finding out about Flying Colors. I also started listening to NM-era Spock's Beard because of Transatlantic. I only had the self-titled album with NDV on vocals but I decided to check out the NM stuff since I liked him in TA. Though I'm sure I would have eventually listened to those albums if I hadn't listened to TA first.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
Spock's Beard and the Flower Kings because of Transatlantic. Technically Symphony X, since he was the drummer on about half of the Working Man Rush tribute where I first heard Michael Romeo and Michael Pinella play. And as a footnote, I found out Jordan Rudess had joined Dream Theater via the liner notes of LTE 2, so it sort of counts.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 01:00:15 AM »
His work with Transatlantic made me check out Spock's Beard.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:42:06 AM »
After checking out A Mob, I disocovered Russell Allen, who led me to discover (aside from Symphony X) Ayreon, for whom he did guest vocals. Then after checking out Ayreon's The Human Equation I discovered the singer James LaBrie. After that I discovered his solo drummer Mike Mangini. After looking into Mike Mangini I discovered his new band Dream Theater.
At first I thought "what the fuck? Russ Allen through AMob?" and then I read the rest of the post :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 04:48:48 AM »

And thus the entropy of the universe was reversed.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 06:55:17 AM »
I honestly don't care much for any of Mike's side projects, but I did find quite a bit of great stuff via the exploration of stuff that Dream Theater (during the portnoy era) was connected to in some way.  Transatlantic led me to The Flower Kings and Spock's Beard and Neal Morse solo and I guess I'd have to credit Mike for me finding those.

Don't care at all for Adrenaline Mob and Flying Colors was kinda boring.  I know he's worked with some other bands but I don't really like any of them

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 07:04:46 AM »
Stop upstaging my posts Marco!!!! :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 09:05:56 AM »
Stop upstaging my posts Marco!!!! :biggrin:

Shush!  :D

Well, I actually discovered pretty much all Marillion and Neal Morse via Transatlantic. I'm quite grateful for that  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »
Spock's Beard and the Flower Kings because of Transatlantic. 

Same here.  And of course that led to other TFK-related projects (solo Roine, Kaipa, Karmakanic, The Tangent, etc.), as well as Neal Morse's solo stuff of course.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »
Spock's Beard and the Flower Kings because of Transatlantic. 

Same here.  And of course that led to other TFK-related projects (solo Roine, Kaipa, Karmakanic, The Tangent, etc.), as well as Neal Morse's solo stuff of course.

Yeah, now that you mention it, that's true....

Offline philmcson

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
Alpha Rev, Dixie Dregs (because of FC, but none of them is in my top list), Disturbed  :metal (through AdMob and John Moyer), currently discovering Sherinian's opus but it is hard to obtain his older albums  :-\
Transatlantic and Neal Morse, of course! OSI as well.....

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 12:41:06 PM »
MP (via Modern Drummer) > DT > Prog Nation > 3, Big Elf.  OK, Big Elf is kind of a one trick pony but given the right mood it really hits the spot.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
Like many others, I did end up checking out both LTE and TA because of Mike (and DT), and because of Transatlantic-

...I got hooked onto TFK (which branched out from Roine Stolt into The Tangent, Kaipa, Agents Of Mercy, and pretty much anything he's been a part of since 2000, and many other side-projects from other TFK members like Karmakanic and Tomas Bodin's solo stuff)
...Marillion (and also Kino, Edison's Children, and a couple other side-projects), and because of Kino, I got hooked onto Frost*
...and Spock's Beard (and all their members' solo albums and output, including Alan Morse, Ryo Okumoto, Nick D'Virgilio, and of course, everything Neal Morse has ever put out).

Because of LTE, I have checked out more instrumental prog that features Tony Levin, including Bozzio Levin Stevens, as well as Levin Torn White, and the Bruford Levin Upper Extremities.

Also, after OSI's debut, and the guest spot by Steven Wilson, I checked out Porcupine Tree, and have been hooked on to them since 2004, and gotten all the PT and most of the SW solo stuff, and that in turn also got me into Blackfield and No-Man.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »

:lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »
Some interesting chains-of-discovery going on here, nice.  I think Adami's is the most interesting so far cuz he sort of went backwards and found DT last whereas most of us started with DT.  Nice.

I also have:

MP --->  LTE  --->  Jordan Rudess  --->  JR's 1994 DT Audition Gig (Take the Time)  --->  Me thinking how cool it would be to have JR in DT  --->  JR in DT

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 06:44:14 AM »
I found out about a lot of good bands because MP sought them out to open for DT. As far as MP's projects, though, I only really like DT, TA, and LTE. OSI doesn't do it for me, and I strongly dislike AMOB. Flying Colors was alright; forgot about it pretty quickly though.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 07:16:33 AM »
Thanks to Transatlantic I checked out Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings. Spock's Beard led me to Neal Morse's solo work. The Flower Kings led me to Karmakanic, Agents of Mercy and a couple of the solo albums of other TFK members.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.