Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm; Star Wars Episode 7 coming in 2015  (Read 36279 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm; Star Wars Episdoe 7 coming in 2015
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »
Yeah, me neither. I mean, the absolute worst case scenario is that Disney gets JJ Abrams to direct this, and it's three 80-minute high-budget nostalgia trips staring a familiar cast of premier actors.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2012, 10:04:54 AM »
OK, a couple of guys have been arguing about this being good or bad in an office next to me for the last half hour.  One of them mentioned Disney has promised to do the trilogy and then at least one movie every two years following.  Is that true?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »
I just hope they stick with John Williams. I think that's pretty safe though.
I will crucify someone if that is not the case!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »
He's 80 years old, how long do you think they can stick with him?  He isn't even very active in the last few years, is he?

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »
Wow, as a long time Star Wars fanatic, I am a whirlwind of emotions right now. I am certainly happy that I will get to see more Star Wars movies. Although I am a fan of the EU, I really hope that the movies continue on from ROTJ, and don't become "spin-off" movies. If that were to happen, along with the supposed schedule of a new movie every couple of years, I would be worried that it would somewhat cheapen the franchise.

Regarding the EU, I have never read any of the NJO stuff, but I love anything from Zahn. As far as the people criticizing Zahn's books, no other SW I know of captures the pace of the movies, and the attitude of the characters (especially Luke, Leia, and Han) as well as he. 

I would LOVE to see the Thrawn Trilogy turned into Episodes VII-IX, but I find that very unlikely. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with each book being 400+ pages, wouldn't they need to trim some of the content to turn it into a film anyway? However, that's not the biggest challenge that TTT would face in becoming movies. With Lucas still being the "creative consultant" for these films, and with his disdain for the EU - stating that he believes that Han and Leia never got married - I really can't see him utilizing any of the material from the EU. Which for me, is certainly disappointing.

However, no matter what happens, even if it's "Star Wars: Episode VII; Return of Jar Jar (maybe Gungans live a long time), I'll be in line. And so will you.

BTW, I have now seen a few people apparently agree that the Thrawn Trilogy is "hogwash", but only Jaq has given any specific reasons. Care to elaborate?
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2012, 10:23:30 AM »
OK, a couple of guys have been arguing about this being good or bad in an office next to me for the last half hour.  One of them mentioned Disney has promised to do the trilogy and then at least one movie every two years following.  Is that true?

"In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years. "

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

So looks like that may be true - I thought that'd be a misunderstanding from them saying they'd release the first of the trilogy in 2015 then another (meaning Episodes 8 and 9) every two years, but apparently not  :lol

Even though I don't care too much about this in particular, it is yet another instance of the general trend of not making any entirely original films. "It's time to pass Star Wars onto the new generation of filmmakers"? How about pass on the mantle of making new original films like Star Wars was in the first place (original as in at least a new franchise rather than something in an existing one). 

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »
I would LOVE to see the Thrawn Trilogy turned into Episodes VII-IX, but I find that very unlikely. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with each book being 400+ pages, wouldn't they need to trim some of the content to turn it into a film anyway? However, that's not the biggest challenge that TTT would face in becoming movies. With Lucas still being the "creative consultant" for these films, and with his disdain for the EU - stating that he believes that Han and Leia never got married - I really can't see him utilizing any of the material from the EU. Which for me, is certainly disappointing.
If they follow the EU, which I highly doubt because it will trap them long term, they would not have to tranlate the books, just follow them loosely.  It's not about pages, just how the story can be told.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »
He's 80 years old, how long do you think they can stick with him?  He isn't even very active in the last few years, is he?
True dat.... :lol but he still compose scores though!

Well i hope they stick with some composer that still writes in the classical style of writing scores and by that i mean with alot of melodies, emotion and themes, basically music that lives and breathes for it self. I really hope they do! 
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »

Well i hope they stick with some composer that still writes in the classical style of writing scores and by that i mean with alot of melodies, emotion and themes, basically music that lives and breathes for it self. I really hope they do!

Don't worry. If they can't get Williams, I'm sure they can find someone else to channel Holst.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »
The next films will be better.
And if they give Timmothy Zahn a call they'll be amazing.

You bring back mark hammil in a "alec guiness" type role. He comes in, brings the hard core nostalgics back, you kill him off before he annoys anyone, you search for the lost Katana fleet, youhave Jacen and Jaina emerge with a new "Twilight" kiddiness about it....you introduce the Vong...you do it all.

And it all gets done properly.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2012, 10:44:10 AM »

Don't worry. If they can't get Williams, I'm sure they can find someone else to channel Holst.
Yes exactly, that would please me just about right!

Offline Adami

« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2012, 10:44:51 AM »
The next films will be better.
And if they give Timmothy Zahn a call they'll be amazing.

You bring back mark hammil in a "alec guiness" type role. He comes in, brings the hard core nostalgics back, you kill him off before he annoys anyone, you search for the lost Katana fleet, youhave Jacen and Jaina emerge with a new "Twilight" kiddiness about it....you introduce the Vong...you do it all.

And it all gets done properly.

I have absolutely no idea who what the Katana fleet is, or who Jacen or Jaina are, but you lost me with Twilight.

The original SW films never aimed at being trendy or current, they just were what they were and people loved it. If you try to make the new films trendy or current, it will be lost in time like other current or trendy movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »
^^^^^

read these NOW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Force_Rising

this is actually book three of three...you need to read the trillogy. Excellent.

Im serious.
If you like StarWars...got to the end of say..Return of the Jedi and went..."man...what a story  I wish I could follow these characters around on another grand adventure..."

That's it.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »
...and will probably be thrown out of the universe as this trilogy comes to be.  The EU served a purpose to Lucas, and he owed a lot ot it because it helped keep Star Wars alive as a franchise.  To Disney it's just a massive constraint.

Offline Adami

« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
^^^^^

read these NOW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Force_Rising

this is actually book three of three...you need to read the trillogy. Excellent.

Im serious.
If you like StarWars...got to the end of say..Return of the Jedi and went..."man...what a story  I wish I could follow these characters around on another grand adventure..."

That's it.

Nah, but thanks.

After Jedi, my thoughts were more like "Man, these were good movies. Now I'm going to go watch Star Trek, which is better".

I seriously have no desire to read anything about Star Wars. I'll watch the movies, but that's about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2012, 11:12:11 AM »
...and will probably be thrown out of the universe as this trilogy comes to be.  The EU served a purpose to Lucas, and he owed a lot ot it because it helped keep Star Wars alive as a franchise.  To Disney it's just a massive constraint.

For what it's worth, Lucas never really acknowledged any of the post VI stuff as "canon" at all. I don't think he's ever even read any of it.

Offline Adami

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm; Star Wars Episode 7 coming in 2015
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yRNXFhboBI

Is this more of what some people are expecting from the Disney Star Wars?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2012, 11:24:09 AM »
For what it's worth, Lucas never really acknowledged any of the post VI stuff as "canon" at all. I don't think he's ever even read any of it.
He kind of did, or at least he let it slide for many years.  He is in control of Lucasfilms and they're the ones obsessed with maintaining continuity.  EU was keeping his franchise alive, without it he may never have been able to launch his prequel project.  Regardless, fans believed it to be accepted it as canon and they never really refuted it, more of "Oh, well, kind of."  I saw fans praising how the Star Wars universe was all one project when I worked at a bookstore, people bought into it as canon.

Lucas isn't going to stop Disney from taking creative control of Star Wars post VI, you're right that he is ho-hum about it.  Who would want to be forced into other people's books when they feel the franchise is a film first product?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »

Very true.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »

IT´S A TRAP!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »
This is really great news. The originals were classics, of course, and I don't share the dislike for the prequels that many do. Never read the books, never had an inclination to. But I'm glad the saga continues - Star Wars is in good hands with Disney.

While I am excited to be surprised by the new plot they throw at us, my only desire is that episode 7 begins right after the events of episode 6, with this scene. That would be the most awesomest thing to ever happen in the history of ever.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
This is really great news. The originals were classics, of course, and I don't share the dislike for the prequels that many do. Never read the books, never had an inclination to. But I'm glad the saga continues - Star Wars is in good hands with Disney.

While I am excited to be surprised by the new plot they throw at us, my only desire is that episode 7 begins right after the events of episode 6, with this scene. That would be the most awesomest thing to ever happen in the history of ever.

Welcome back Brother. :)

Also yea, it would be neat to finally have a scene to justify all the praise Boba Fett goes.

In the end, all the guy did was die.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
Also yea, it would be neat to finally have a scene to justify all the praise Boba Fett goes.

If he was in a Matrix sequel everyone would be talking about how characters like him made the movies so bad.

Offline Adami

« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »

If he was in a Matrix sequel everyone would be talking about how characters like him made the movies so bad.

I honestly don't follow. I don't disagree, I just don't follow.

Boba Fett is usually considered a truly awesome guy. But I think the most he did was find a clever way to track the Falcon, Vader did the rest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »

:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Boba Fett is usually considered a truly awesome guy.

The funny thing is, Lucas unilaterally determined that Boba Fett would be awesome, and the general public just went along with it without questioning it whatsoever.  I mean, in Empire, he really was just another nondescript bounty hunter, other than actually tracking the Falcon, like you said.  He looked kinda cool, but that was about it.  And in Jedi, he didn't do much other than hang around Jabba's palace and then accidentally die.  And yet, Lucas in a single stroke of genius built up all kinds of hype around the character long before Empire even came out, so that people were simply salivating over Boba Fett long before anyone ever saw him in a movie, and just figured that he MUST be awesome.  Pretty funny when you think about it.  And, really, I'm not ever sure Lucas really even intended to build him up so much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
Haha 2015? Doesn't Disney know the world is going to end in just a couple of months. I mean come on.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Adami

« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
Haha 2015? Doesn't Disney know the world is going to end in just a couple of months. I mean come on.

Actually 2015 is a very odd year to release this movie since they're also releasing Avengers II that year. You'd think they'd limit it to one insane block buster per year. I mean, in the end they make a crap load of money, but I don't know why they'd pit one of their movies against another of their movies
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Didn't the second G.I. Joe film get postponed because of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Adami

« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2012, 12:56:35 PM »
Didn't the second G.I. Joe film get postponed because of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises?

No clue. Does Disney own the GI Joe Franchise too?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »

I actually found that really funny. :lol I like the fact that LucasFilms is making things that poke fun at itself.

I like the idea of making episodes 7-9 as Lucas has always had a basic story for those, so it would be good to complete his vision of the saga. I just hope it's done well.

The idea of doing another film every 2 to 3 years is considerably less exciting, but it depends what sort of form that takes. If it's side stories and things like that (like the Clone Wars movie) then I'm not too bothered really as I can just ignore them if they're no good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2012, 01:14:49 PM »

Actually 2015 is a very odd year to release this movie since they're also releasing Avengers II that year. You'd think they'd limit it to one insane block buster per year. I mean, in the end they make a crap load of money, but I don't know why they'd pit one of their movies against another of their movies
Eh, one could be a summer blockbuster, and the other a holiday blockbuster.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »
I like the idea of making episodes 7-9 as Lucas has always had a basic story for those, so it would be good to complete his vision of the saga. I just hope it's done well.

I don't think you should believe what Lucas says about having nine movies worked out in the least.

I remember reading an interview with Lucas in Rolling Stone when ROTJ came out, and there was a discussion going on about how to make Luke mad enough to fight Vader. And Lucas says, I got it, Leia's really his sister, and Vader will threaten her! Lucas didn't have an overreaching arc for the entire series when he wrote Star Wars-hell, it became "Episode Four-A New Hope" after the fact, when the sequel was green lit (To this day, I call the movie that came out in 1977 Star Wars, because that's what it was called when it came out.) Any overarching storyline came later, and it's clear from how the prequels worked out that he had neither those OR any follow ups written. Lucas claims that Vader was meant to be Luke's father from the start, but earlier drafts of Star Wars had Darth Vader as just a general for the Empire with no connection to Luke at all.

That's why Lucas is always changing the movies. They've never stopped being a moving target where the stories are concerned.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »

Offline Adami

« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2012, 01:52:24 PM »

I don't think you should believe what Lucas says about having nine movies worked out in the least.

I remember reading an interview with Lucas in Rolling Stone when ROTJ came out, and there was a discussion going on about how to make Luke mad enough to fight Vader. And Lucas says, I got it, Leia's really his sister, and Vader will threaten her! Lucas didn't have an overreaching arc for the entire series when he wrote Star Wars-hell, it became "Episode Four-A New Hope" after the fact, when the sequel was green lit (To this day, I call the movie that came out in 1977 Star Wars, because that's what it was called when it came out.) Any overarching storyline came later, and it's clear from how the prequels worked out that he had neither those OR any follow ups written. Lucas claims that Vader was meant to be Luke's father from the start, but earlier drafts of Star Wars had Darth Vader as just a general for the Empire with no connection to Luke at all.

That's why Lucas is always changing the movies. They've never stopped being a moving target where the stories are concerned.

But Lucas isn't changing the stories. He's changing minor little details and adding crap tons of annoying visuals. (Yes, Han shooting first is a minor detail, as horrible as it was).

An over arching story is just a general plot outline. Hell, even Luke and Leia being twins is a somewhat minor detail in the over all scheme.
fanticide.bandcamp.com