Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm; Star Wars Episode 7 coming in 2015  (Read 36275 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Disney buys Lucasfilm; Star Wars Episode 7 coming in 2015
« on: October 30, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
Click here

LOS ANGELES — Disney says it is buying ‘Star Wars’ maker Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion from George Lucas.

There's not too much information out there on it yet, but we can expect Star Wars episode 7 in 2015, via Reuters.

Quote from: @Reuters
"Star Wars" episode seven will come out in 2015, Disney says.

And the follow-up tweet saying its not a joke:

Quote from: @Reuters
The Star Wars/Disney news comes from a press release distributed by BusinessWire, for those wondering if this is a joke. It's not.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:13:56 AM by ResultsMayVary »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm; Star Wars Episdoe 7 coming in 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:12:26 PM »
Everything about this is wrong and horrible.  Lucasfilm, for all its many many many flaws, basically let the fandom for the movies do as it pleased.

I can't wait until the RedLetterMedia Star Wars reviews are taken down.  :/
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:13:42 PM »
Yea, I'm not too big on the idea, either. They should have just let it go at this point.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 02:20:23 PM »
Old Georgie sold out?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »
Star Wars extended universe going non-canon in 10, 9, 8...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
Old Georgie sold out?

Yup.

Dude is trying to brutally beat his legacy to death and then fart on its corpse.

Remember when Lucas founded American Zoetrope with Francis Ford Coppola and wanted to fight the system?

Now he's selling Star Wars....  STAR WARS to Disney.

The only good thing is that Disney might see the money to be made in selling a restored copy of the original trilogy and do so.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 02:33:17 PM »
hm.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »
Man am I happy to be much more of a Trekkie than a SW fan. Star Trek had some not-so-stellar episodes and movies, but somehow the reverence for Gene Roddenberry kept people from overtly shitting on the franchise.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »
Maybe George Lucas out of the picture means it might be good?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 02:37:15 PM »
:theydonothing:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 02:38:43 PM »

That's what I'm thinking as well.  Lucas ruined the prequels, despite having the foundation for a really good story.  The foundation for a really good sequel trilogy is there and was even planned by Lucas originally.  With Disney calling the shots, it just may get done properly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »
Uh...

As a lifelong Star Wars fan (although I gave up all hope after the changes to the Blu Rays), this is just weird as hell. Disney wasn't just content to engulf Marvel in its maw, I guess. And a new movie? whaaaaat... just what.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »

I'm sorry...but...THIS!

This is the greatest thing that could have possibly happened, and the ONLY hope for decent SW story lines.
I don't get it. Fans bitch because they wish Lucas would let someone else make the movies...and then bitch when that's exactly what happens.

This might save Star Wars. With any luck at all...they'll remake the prequels.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »

That's what I'm thinking as well.  Lucas ruined the prequels, despite having the foundation for a really good story.  The foundation for a really good sequel trilogy is there and was even planned by Lucas originally.  With Disney calling the shots, it just may get done properly.

Yup. To put it into perspective, look at how the Marvel stuff is being handled. Few complaints there.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »

So many fans are heavily invested in the extended universe, which primarily takes place after the original trilogy.  For years it was all people had and was widely embraced to help promote the franchise.  I can't imagine they're going to want to follow what has been written before if they do a sequel trilogy.  If they don't, they'll effectively blow up the extended universe that so many diehard fans have invested in for the last twenty years.  I don't think that's going to make many of their biggest fans happy, or the people invested in licensing on the extended universe.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »
With Disney calling the shots we got Green Lantern and Tron Legacy. I actually liked Tron Legacy but it could have been so much better.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 02:53:37 PM »
This is just... just... I am going to have to come back to this.

Wait... weren't they working on some sort of live action TV series??

Man am I happy to be much more of a Trekkie than a SW fan. Star Trek had some not-so-stellar episodes and movies, but somehow the reverence for Gene Roddenberry kept people from overtly shitting on the franchise.

I don't know if it had much to do with Gene. Of course he established the groundwork, but consider Meyer, Bennett, Nimoy, and the rest who shaped Trek films 2-6 did so without Gene's input or worship. I don't think Meyer ever really met with him, at least on any sort of creative level. (I don't know the Trek history beyond that).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 02:54:49 PM »
With Disney calling the shots we got Green Lantern and Tron Legacy. I actually liked Tron Legacy but it could have been so much better.

And The Avengers, and all the films leading up to it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »
Maybe we'll finally get the OT on DVD/Blu-ray.

So many fans are heavily invested in the extended universe, which primarily takes place after the original trilogy.  For years it was all people had and was widely embraced to help promote the franchise.  I can't imagine they're going to want to follow what has been written before if they do a sequel trilogy.  If they don't, they'll effectively blow up the extended universe that so many diehard fans have invested in for the last twenty years.  I don't think that's going to make many of their biggest fans happy, or the people invested in licensing on the extended universe.

Sucks for them, but many of the EU stories are not well done and entire story arcs are jagged as hell. I've always found it silly to consider anything there as canon considering you have dozens of different authors with dozens of different ideas.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »
This is just... just... I am going to have to come back to this.
I double that.......wat in the actual name of everything that is holy?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ehra

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 02:58:33 PM »

And The Avengers, and all the films leading up to it.

I feel stupid asking this, but what did Disney even have to do with Green Lantern? As far as I'm aware Disney owns Marvel while WB owns DC.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 03:00:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty cool with this.  Lucas really trashed most of the SW legacy.  None of us had any hope of him ever making it better, and Disney might.  What's the worst thing that could happen, they make another TPM?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
Sucks for them, but many of the EU stories are not well done and entire story arcs are jagged as hell. I've always found it silly to consider anything there as canon considering you have dozens of different authors with dozens of different ideas.
It's more that it's been sold to them as canon or close to canon for so long.  That makes a big difference in many people's eyes, and is why the Star Wars licensed products tended to be more popular than other properties, like Star Trek books.  It set the Star Wars franchise apart in people's minds.  I can see how a lot of fans would take a move of wiping out the extended universe as a betrayal.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »

Okay, but with Lucas calling the shots, we got:
-"But sand is course and yucky, but you're smooth and soft..." (or whatever nonsense)
-"Noooooooooooo!"
-Wait, no, Greedo MUST have shot first.
etc., etc., etc.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
Silver Lining:

Disney probably doesn't have any vendetta against releasing the original theatrical trilogy on Blu-ray.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 03:09:32 PM »
There will be a trilogy and episodes 7, 8, and 9 to be released two or three years a part. The only question now is where they'll take the storyline with these three movies...

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 03:11:10 PM »
It's more that it's been sold to them as canon or close to canon for so long.  That makes a big difference in many people's eyes, and is why the Star Wars licensed products tended to be more popular than other properties, like Star Trek books.  It set the Star Wars franchise apart in people's minds.  I can see how a lot of fans would take a move of wiping out the extended universe as a betrayal.

I'd find this especially fascinating considering there are EU stories that are far, far worse in terms of damaging the series in terms of sheer shit-fuckery than how bad the same fans feel the Prequels did to the series. A reboot of what happens post-ROTJ is most likely needed.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »
Disney and Lucasfilm have always had a great relationship. Not only did they create two awesome Star Wars rides (the original Star Tours and now Star Tours: The Adventure Continues), but also an Indiana Jones ride and and Indiana Jones stunt show in the theme parks.

Also, John Lassaster is a Disney exec. You have got to be insane if anybody in the world...the closest living person that we have to a Walt Disney in this day and age...that HE will not be involved in the new Star Wars project. The best storyteller of this generation. Star Wars.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, KATHLEEN KENNEDY!!!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »
I'd find this especially fascinating considering there are EU stories that are far, far worse in terms of damaging the series in terms of sheer shit-fuckery than how bad the same fans feel the Prequels did to the series.
I have no idea, I've never read anything in the extended universe.  I just know people who are invested in it and from working in a book store saw the attitudes people had towards them.  Whether good or bad people obviously valued the canon sales pitch.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
Where does it say anything about there being more Star Wars films? You just made that part up!

All it says is that Disney is buying the company.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
There will be a trilogy and episodes 7, 8, and 9 to be released two or three years a part. The only question now is where they'll take the storyline with these three movies...
My question isn't how they take the story, but how they stylize it.  For all his faults, Lucas did have a style in mind for SW which is a huge part of it's success.  Even the prequils didn't suffer for that as much as crappy acting, writing and directing.  My concern would be that Disney take the Star Trek approach and go for a completely different "modern" style. Where ST was science fiction, the new version is all action.  The original SW was adventure first and foremost, and my concern would be turning that into an action franchise, as well.  That would be unfortunate. 

I'm surprised nobody's brought up REBOOT yet.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 03:20:10 PM »
Reboots are for when they stop figuring out how to milk the original product.  The Star Wars cow is still providing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »
George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy discuss the future of Star Wars movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
Reboots are for when they stop figuring out how to milk the original product.  The Star Wars cow is still providing.

Plus this almost guarantees another Jar-Jar type character.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
Not necessarily. They are connected with movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and The Avengers. We'll have to wait and see.