3 (2%)
John Myung
38 (25.3%)
Kevin Moore
60 (40%)
Charlie Dominici
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 144

Author Topic: Who wrote the best lyrics?  (Read 27834 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Who wrote the best lyrics?
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »
I say Myung, but only because of consistency.  I can't think of any duds.

KM at his best was great, but he had some clunkers too.

JP wrote the actual best lyrics, but his best stuff was long ago.

Not meaning to be persnickety, but what's an example of a KM "clunker"?

Lie. Only a Matter of Time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2012, 02:01:57 AM »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2012, 02:06:07 AM »
Only a Matter of Time.
???
Wow.

OAMOT is good, but not anywhere near to his contributions on Images.  :-X
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2012, 02:19:59 AM »
Only a Matter of Time.
???
Wow.

Not so much the actual words themselves, so much as the disregard for a sense of phrasing or musicality to fit them to a song, resulting in the poorest vocal phrasing on the album (which is no small feat).
It's good and well to write nice poetic lyrics that work standalone, but actually fitting them to the music is just as important a step in the process of writing lyrics for a song, and in that regard, OAMOT really highlights the amateurish nature of the writing on WDADU.

Either that, or Kevin Moore was just trolling Charlie Dominici to make him pass out while singing it. If that was the case, I'd actually give KM bonus points. :biggrin:

You may disagree with how I am judging lyrics, which is fine, but I just thought I'd clarify my reasoning for that choice.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2012, 04:17:16 AM »
It's good and well to write nice poetic lyrics that work standalone, but actually fitting them to the music is just as important a step in the process of writing lyrics for a song...
Oh that sounds reasonable. Some stuff on IAW, such as Take The Time, is equally bad in that respect... the "unbroken spirit - must turn to hope" verses seriously sound like they were pranking JLB just like KM could have hypothetically pranked Charlie in OAMOT.

Except for the fact JLB came out on top *obligatory fangirling*

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2012, 04:52:46 AM »
It's good and well to write nice poetic lyrics that work standalone, but actually fitting them to the music is just as important a step in the process of writing lyrics for a song...
Oh that sounds reasonable. Some stuff on IAW, such as Take The Time, is equally bad in that respect... the "unbroken spirit - must turn to hope" verses seriously sound like they were pranking JLB just like KM could have hypothetically pranked Charlie in OAMOT.

Except for the fact JLB came out on top *obligatory fangirling*

:lol Yes, the phrasing of that verse is quite brutal for a vocalist. Hey, maybe KM wrote that verse. :P
But in the case of TTT, the phrasing still fits a steady musical pattern, rather than feeling as randomly phrased as OAMOT, and the melody is amazing.
But it is indeed equally difficult on the vocalist. They're just lucky they got a vocalist who could nail it. :hat

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2012, 05:00:11 AM »
:lol Yes, the phrasing of that verse is quite brutal for a vocalist. Hey, maybe KM wrote that verse. :P
The only thing KM ever wrote post-89 that had that problem was Surrounded in my opinion, and it wasn't that bad, but it was still hard to sing. Afterwards, with the Awake and all the post DT lyrics he really shined in that department.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2012, 09:59:04 AM »
Hey, maybe KM wrote that verse. :P
No, apparently JP gets the blame for that one.
The only thing KM ever wrote post-89 that had that problem was Surrounded in my opinion, and it wasn't that bad, but it was still hard to sing. Afterwards, with the Awake and all the post DT lyrics he really shined in that department.
Yeah, but I think it's because of the tricky time signature. The "light to dark, dark to light" part is a real tongue-twister, though! :lol I agree with you about the vocal phrasing on KM's Awake songs and post-DT stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »
FWIW, I agree with Blob on his KM analysis.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »
Dominici's staccato delivery certainly didn't help smooth any of the lyrics out, but yeah, it's a valid point that the words detracted from OAMOT. For the record, I actually enjoy Lie's lyrics a lot though.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2012, 12:44:42 PM »
I find Only a Matter of Time works a lot better if you can train yourself to stop seeing it as a prog rock song, and think of it more as the world's first progressive rap.

Finally, the worlds have met. It's the halfway point. It's what you'd get if you mixed a concept album about wizards with a three-minute single about casual misogeny. Charlie Dominici, proving for the record books that he can be, well, maybe not quite "street," but he's definitely "yellow-brick road."

We can't begin to comprehend the level of innovation. Frankly, it belongs in a museum.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2012, 12:47:27 PM »
So I've given this topic a lot of thought, and realized I'd like to change my answer.

The person who wrote the best lyrics for DT is.............Desmond Child.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2012, 12:55:35 PM »
I find Only a Matter of Time works a lot better if you can train yourself to stop seeing it as a prog rock song, and think of it more as the world's first progressive rap.

Finally, the worlds have met. It's the halfway point. It's what you'd get if you mixed a concept album about wizards with a three-minute single about casual misogeny. Charlie Dominici, proving for the record books that he can be, well, maybe not quite "street," but he's definitely "yellow-brick road."

We can't begin to comprehend the level of innovation. Frankly, it belongs in a museum.
So I've given this topic a lot of thought, and realized I'd like to change my answer.

The person who wrote the best lyrics for DT is.............Desmond Child.
Fuck it you guys I almost choked :lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:28 AM »
It's easy to see where this is going

Really? Because I can't see where this is going.