Author Topic: JRundquist's 2012 Music Year In Review  (Read 13288 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: JRundquist's 2012 Music Year In Review
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2012, 01:38:04 PM »
I'm quite liking the I Am I. Better than Dragonforce, though that's not too difficult. Vanisher is ok too.

The ManOwaR is poor for them. Not really enjoyed an album of theirs in years.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »
A quick comment: Bane is a band from my home country, and I'm quite surprised you got to them :) sadly I don't think the project will continue, or at least not in that shape, because the main "guy" is moving to Canada.

I am very sad to hear that. This was a fantastic album.

Thank you for giving Miss May I a tip of your hat, I saw those guys back a few months before their second album came out.  Whole band's filled with really nice guys, and they make damned good metalcore that most overlook because of their name and the label they're on.

I was that way as well, like I said, then i got the offer to interview them so I thought I should actually check them out. and I'm glad that I did. It's killer stuff.

I'll have to check out Loch Vostok. It sounds right up my alley.

It should be for sure.

Put Pyramid Theorem in your top twenty bro, and put the bias aside, they are that damn good.

But it's already here.  :lol. I never put any albums in my top 20 that I have an actual connection with, and I do with Pyramid Theorem. I never wanna have people say to me "OH YOU ONLY LIKE THAT ALBUM BECAUSE YOU ARE FRIENDS WITH THEM!" kind of thing to happen."

Holy bold batman.

Sorry JR, I'm sure the list is fascinating, but I can't get through all that font screaming at me.

Seriously? It's not like it is in Caps Lock.

Overkill's "The Electric Age" was the thrash album of the year. It's not even a contest.

Testament for me  :metal

Agreed!  :metal

Overkill's "The Electric Age" was the thrash album of the year. It's not even a contest.

Testament for me  :metal
The only thing that keeps Testament from being the thrash album of the year is the lyrics.  They can be pretty bad at times.  That and the fact that Sylosis had a new album this year.  :metal

The lyrics don't bother me in the slightest. Great music triumphs lyrics every time.

I'm quite liking the I Am I. Better than Dragonforce, though that's not too difficult. Vanisher is ok too.

The ManOwaR is poor for them. Not really enjoyed an album of theirs in years.

True about Dragonforce, Vanisher is a very commercial band, which makes them ok. Manowar is Manowar.... :lol
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2012, 02:59:44 PM »
I feel like sometimes the lyrics effect the delivery of the vocals, it's really just a minor complaint, because Dark Roots of the Earth is fucking killer regardless.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
i WANT the font to scream at me

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2012, 08:40:30 PM »
Yeah, I feel like Overkill just blew Testament out of the water. There's nothing necessarily lacking in the Testament album, but Overkill's just trumps it in every possible way. It's downright ferocious and ridiculously powerful. They both have pretty bad lyrics at times, but Overkill's "GOTTA LOTTA MOUTH FOR A JERSEY WHITE BOY" makes me laugh, while Testament's "WHEN I SAY RISE UP YOU SAY WAR! RISE UP! WAR!" just makes me facepalm.

Kreator's new album was a bit of a disappointment for me too. Not sure if you reviewed that one yet.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2012, 02:19:33 AM »
Thank you guys so much for checking out the thread so far. I promise I will get to reviewing more albums. Tragedy struck my family on Friday when my cousin (who was one of my best friends in high school) passed away from a overdose of Oxycontin. So I am letting everything take its course right now and letting time heal this tragedy. I'm hoping to get more reviews done in time I promise I will.

I'm also thinking of doing this for 2013 in the beginning of the year as I get new albums. Good idea or bad idea?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2012, 08:38:44 AM »
Damn, sorry to hear that man. Take your time, my prayers are with you and your family.

Good idea I think, it's a bit easier to follow as they come out. Hard to check out the bajillion albums you posted all at once.

Offline Jiangsu

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »
Really sorry to hear of your cousin. Best wishes to you and your family.

This thread has been an excellent read so far, and I now have so much new music to check out.  Thanks for all of your efforts so far, and I look forward to reading more if you do write more reviews.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »
Your family has my thoughts and condolences, man, that must be tough. :hug:

Why not do it, if you can have a year-round active thread, that would be great.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2012, 02:46:44 PM »
Sorry dude.  :'(
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
Thank you so much guys. It really means a lot. I actually made my radio show this week dedicated to him with lots of emotional songs both positive and negative as my way to grieve. Oddly Enough, A Change Of Seasons fits my situation quite well.

But on topic to this, I expect possibly tomorrow i will be back on track this this read and getting things rolling.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »
My condolences, man. Hope you're doing okay, my thoughts are with you and your family.

I also must give you immense props for the Twelve Foot Ninja shout-out, I made a thread for them here but sadly no one cared.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2012, 05:04:27 PM »
I didn't even see the thread about them. I'm sorry, but they are a killer band!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2012, 05:05:38 PM »
And I'm back....

201.) Adrenaline Mob- Omerta

When I first heard the EP, I was severely disappointed, now I am overall very happy with Adrenaline Mob. I'm not sure what really changed from the EP to the album, but something did and it's a hell of a lot better than I could have imagined. The Mike Portnoy/Russell Allen lead band is yes a very straight Hard Rock band with influences from bands like Disturbed, Black Label Society, etc but I think it was needed. A lot of Hard Rock bands on the radio today suck, plain and simple, this does not, although it is not on the radio. This is a very solid Hard Rock album, there's nothing more you could really ask for.

8/10

202.) Panopticon- Kentucky

Black Metal, Folk Metal, and.....BLUEGRASS? Yes you read that right. This album is a very strange combination for sure. When you think of Black Folk Metal you don't think of North American Bluegrass as well, until now. This album is just plain awesome. It is very damn original and not what you would expect, again something that has needed to happen in the genre for a while now. For a new spin on the genre, pick this up, it is so very damn good!

9/10

203.) Nachtmystium- Silencing Machine

Nachmystium has been the leaders in experimental Black Metal for a long time now. Whether it be their Psychedelic Days, or their Electronic areas. This is not boring Black Metal. This album in particular is all across the board covering the areas of Black Metal that some have never dared to do. Like Panopticon above this review, pick this one up for a new spin on Black Metal.

8/10

204.) Car Bomb- w^w^^w^w

What the Hell is this? IF The Dillinger Escape Plan went more in a Grindcore route rather than their current more mainstream sound, this would be Car Bomb. It's not boring by any stretch of the imagination. Grindcore, Mathcore and some odd breaks of Melodic Metal. It's not for the faint of heart, this is a brutal album.

8/10

205.) Exumer- Fire & Domination

Very cool Thrash Metal. When if first got this promo, I read it wrong and thought it was the new album from Exhumed, then I realized they weren't putting out an album this year. Upon listening I heard very Testament and Exodus inspired Thrash Metal. While not reinventing the wheel, it is very solid all the way though and a good dose of heavy Thrash.

7/10

206.) Devil Sold His Soul- Empire Of Light

Ambient Progressive Post Hardcore. That's my best description of it. I really don't like the screams (like almost all Post Hardcore) but the music is so damn good. If they ever made an instrumental version of this album it would be one of my favorite albums of the year. The clean vocals are very good though, I will give it that. If you can withstand Post Hardcore screams, I HIGHLY recommend this one, the music is too good to ignore.

8/10

207.) Star Monarchy- Volume I

This is a Progressive Metal project featuring guest appearances from Rody of Protest The Hero, Dan formerly for TesseracT, and Speed from Soilwork amongst others. This album runs the gambit for Progressive Metal. I am really surprised NO ONE has talked about this album, because it is a fantastic album. It's a very damn heavy Progressive Metal album (with some Djent in it at times) but don't ignore this one if you like Soilwork, Protest The Hero and TesseracT.

9/10

208.) Pallbearer- Sorrow And Extinction

This is a band that I predict will be taking over the Doom Metal world next year when they get the main support slot for the upcoming Enslaved tour. This is one of the finest Doom Metal albums in quite some time. Unlike a lot of Dom Metal, this doesn't feel like it drags on, it all feels natural and enjoyable, amongst the dark despair. Also the inclusion of Clean vocals makes this one stand out. Pick this one up if you want to hear some damn good Doom Metal.

9/10

209.) What the Blood Revealed- Harbour Of Devils

Post Rock with a lot of Metal thrown in as well. It almost feels like an instrumental A Perfect Circle album in some ways. While most of the album does have this vibe, it all works and flows very well together. While I have heard a lot of Post Rock this year, this one was put in the way side for a long time, now a I regret it because this is fantastic.

8/10

210.) Nile- At the Gates of Sethu

The best Nile album since Annihilation Of The Wicked. It is actually quite diverse, something I've been wanting for a long time. Don't get me wrong, it is still Nile, and it is still Technical Death Metal, but there is a lot more dynamics in the band that haven't been there in a while. I would actually recommend this album for anyone who wants to get into the band, It is a great album to get someone into the band. I am pleasently surprised!

8/10

211.) Vision Of Disorder- The Cursed Remain Cursed

One of my favorite Hardcore bands is back. What I have always loved about Vision OF Disorder is that they have so many dynamics to the band. It's much more than a Hardcore band. Hardcore bands of today could learn a HUGE listen from VOD. They really, really need to. Pick this one up for very dynamic and awesome Hardcore.

8/10

212.) Effloresce- Coma Ghosts

If you made Opeth into a Female Fronted band, they would be Effloresce. It is a very damn good Progressive Death Metal album. I wish Female fronted Metal bands could sound like this rather than ripping off Nightwish every chance they get. This is how it should sound. Heavy Opeth inspired Progressive Death Metal. Just the way I like it.

9/10

213.) Beardfish- The Void

It puzzles me so much how Beardfish are not as big as Dream Theater. They have everything that people could want in a Prog band. Heavy when it calls for it, Frank Zappa style quirks, 99% clean vocals (some of the earlier albums have growls, as does this album, but very sparingly), and the music itself.....DAMN! the Void in particular, is a good heavy groovin' Prog Rock album that will go over a lot of people's heads, and that is just not fair. I love these guys and you should too. pick this up immediately!

9.5/10

214.) Elvenking- Era

Almost all of the Folk Metal is out of this band and it is almost pure Power Metal at this point. This is one of the first bands I got into for Folk Metal and Power Metal, so I will always have a soft spot for them. I will say though that the album sometimes drags, but it is made up for it by the surprisingly amount of killer songs on it. Nothing groundbreaking, just awesome Power Metal. I love it.

8/10

215.) Tyrant Of Death- Re Connect

One of the two albums that came out from this project this year. This album is the equivalent of Meshuggah making an Industrial album. It's another example of a band that's awesome to listen to in small doses. Its a chaotic, yet dynamic album, and don't forget brutal as all hell. Check it out!

6/10

216.) Tyrant Of Death- Cyanide

haha, what are the odds the other Tyrant Of Death album would come up right after? Cyanide is a bit closer to the sound I am more familiar with. Still brutal as all Hell, but a lot more proggy and diverse. a lot of Electronica influence amongst the chaos. Normally I wouldn't be a fan of this combination, but the way it is used here. it's awesome. A great band people don't know about.

7/10

217.) Alice Through The Windshield Glass

Technical Deathcore that is awesome. I should note that I don't like normal "Brocore" kinda Deathcore. Where the riffs are easy enough for me to play, everything is breakdowns and pig squeals, it's boring! Music like this is up my alley because there is actually substance behind it. While yes, like Deathcore itself, I can only take so much of it before I wanna hear something else, it is killer stuff.

7/10

218.) Jodis- Black Curtain

Anyone miss Isis as much as I do....well this won't tide you over for a return. Aaron Turner of Isis made this project to focus on the Ambient and Drone side to Isis, and well, I do love it sometimes, I wish there was more to it. REAL Drone fans will love this album to Death for me. I was hoping for a bit more. I'm hoping Aaron does some other projects besides this to keep me preoccupied over the loss of Isis.

4/10

219.) Kamelot- Silverthorn

Tommy from Seventh Wonder is now in Kamelot (and THANKFULLY still in Seventh Wonder). I never would have imagined he would sound so much like Roy Kahn, which is not a bad thing at all. I've never been a big Kamelot albums because I started with Ghost Opera and was let down after the first 2 songs and the albums after that kept that up that tradition. This album though I can actually enjoy all the way through (something that is a first for me....yes I know about the early Kamelot material, I have it). Tommy is the man for the job to make this band even better than before. Huge kudos!.....AND CHECK OUT SEVENTH WONDER DAMN IT!!!!

7/10

220.) Dying Fetus- Reign Supreme

Like every single Dying Fetus release. it's short, brutal, to the point, and awesome. I would even dare to say the best release of their career. Death Metal and Grindcore formed to make this Blasphemous band and I love it. And it's a great length (37 minutes) that makes me not want to change it half way through. Such killer *no pun intended* stuff!

8/10

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »
Beardfish's The Void is an excellent album indeed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2012, 02:27:40 AM »
Beardfish. Yum.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »
I'm glad to see the love for Beardfish.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2012, 04:01:38 PM »
ive been waiting for effloresce to show up. such a great album.

funny about beardfish, i was just thinking earlier today about how they arent nearly as popular as they should be. on this forum, a beardfish appreciation thread should rival the size of the BTBAM, porcupine tree, and opeth threads (for example). i would have to say theyre one of my top 2 favorite current bands. the quality/quantity of their output is simply astonishing, and the more i think of it, it dawns on me that rikard is probably the best songwriter going today.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »
to be honest, I've never even heard of them before.  What songs should I check out?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »
I WILL CHECK OUT PANOPTICON REALLY REALLY HARD!!! Sounds like something I'd love to DEATH!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
ive been waiting for effloresce to show up. such a great album.

funny about beardfish, i was just thinking earlier today about how they arent nearly as popular as they should be. on this forum, a beardfish appreciation thread should rival the size of the BTBAM, porcupine tree, and opeth threads (for example). i would have to say theyre one of my top 2 favorite current bands. the quality/quantity of their output is simply astonishing, and the more i think of it, it dawns on me that rikard is probably the best songwriter going today.

Agreed on all accounts

to be honest, I've never even heard of them before.  What songs should I check out?

The new album is a great start.  :biggrin:

I WILL CHECK OUT PANOPTICON REALLY REALLY HARD!!! Sounds like something I'd love to DEATH!

You totally should.  :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »
Methinks Beardfish is the first time on your list that not only have I heard of the band, let alone heard the album, but agree with you. That was a great release.

(Grown to love the new Muse and can't stand Flying Colors.) :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »
That's all good man. that's the good thing about music, there is so many options out there.

I still have plenty of music to come, plus my top 20 of the year. so hold tight, I may be able to find you an album you might actually like. haha

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2012, 07:22:43 PM »
221.) High On Fire- De Vermis Mysteriis

Ah yes, Matt Mike and Co came back this year with a brand new album for all the Stoner Metal fans that want something faster then 90 BPM. For some reason everyone stopped talking about this album pretty much right after it came out. And that is a shame because it is a fantastic album. There is some great dynamics and songwriting that you expect from Matt Pike. Snakes For The Divine is probably my favorite HOF album, but this isn't far behind. Hopefully people will come back to this album and enjoy it because it's worth it. Every song is badass and of prime High On Fire quality.

8/10

222.) Sonata Arctica- Stones Grow Her Name

"I GOT A SHITLOAD OF MONEY!" What else do you need to know about this album? If you can stomach that, well you are a stronger person than I. This is in my top 5 for most disappointing albums of the year, event he last album was good, this is just....awful. Granted a couple songs are listenable and enjoyable, but still not worth hearing the whole album. This is the St. Anger of Sonata Arctica's career.

3/10

223.) Krallice- Years Point Matters

One of the best Black metal albums to ever be released. Krallice is an experimental Black Metal band that actually knows how to capture a person's interest. It's a long album, there is no denying that. also given that the song titles are ridiculous IIIIIIII is the shortest title and expands on that. Despite that, again like most things a band should be able to do, the music makes up for any shortcomings that make you skeptical. This is a pure Masterpiece of Experimental Black Metal.

9.5/10

224.) Bison B.C.- Lovelessness

One of the best bands no one ever talks about. Bison B.C. is carrying on in the tradition that Mastodon would have carried on with if they didn't go full on Prog (I'm not saying that in a bad way I love Mastodon). It's a very heavy and thought out Metal album with tons of dynamics. It's a sludgey album for sure, which can be a positive or negative thing if you like the style. but overall it's a nice, big Heavy Metal album that should be kicking your ass right now!

9/10

225.) NOFX- Self Titled

The best Punk album I have heard all year. Although in my defense, I don't listen to much Punk anymore, just the classic bands. There is nothing out of the ordinary with this album, it's a NOFX album, nothing you haven't heard before, but that's what makes Punk music Punk. It is fantastic. Basically if you know who they are, you know how this sounds.

7/10

226.) From Oceans To Autumn- Oath Of Eternals

Very Heavy, Metal influenced, Instrumental Post Rock. This is a fantastic album that I have yet to see ANYONE talk about. it has the dynamics of Post Rock with lots of Heavy moments that grab you and don't let go. If you dig Post Rock at all, you should fall in love with this album. It is quite fantastic all around.

8/10

227.) Bad Salad- Uncivilized

Honestly, I don't like the name at all and it kept me away from the band for a while. But that said once I gave it a shot, it is a killer Prog Metal album. I guess it is fair to say that Prog Metal bands don't usually have the best names, but it's not fair to judge them on band name alone. It's a big Dream theater influence in this band mixed with Porcupine tree as well.. They aren't Pyramid Theorem, but they are going to be a huge name int eh Prog Metal world if they keep up this quality of music.

8/10

228.) Sabaton- Carolus Rex

Easily, without question, Power Metal album of the year. Sabaton has been one of my favorite Power Metal bands for years and they just keep outdoing themselves every time. Even with losing 4/6ths of the band this year, they wrote a fantastic album that lives up to the Sabaton name. War Metal at it's finest, well besides Bolt Thrower, but that's Death Metal. If you like your Power Metal epic heavy and full of fun, get this album now.

9/10

229.) Rush- Clockwork Angels

I don't even think I have mentioned this album to anyone this year. Anywhere I go on the internet, my Facebook, etc. I just haven't talked about it. I have no clue why either. Clockwork Angels is easily the best Rush album since Signals, that's right, i said it! This masterpiece of a concept album took 30 years after signals to make (and several albums in between) but besides Snakes and Arrows (which I actually like a lot) nothing else since that time has Rush done anything that actually captured my interest and made me as big of a fan of the band. Rush, you have written your finest work in decades. I hope you can keep up this momentum for as long as you can. Prog Rock at its purest and finest form

9.5/10

230.) Goatwhore- Blood For The Master

Blackened Death Metal, you can't top this! Goatwhore is the finest band in Blackened Death Metal, and every album just gets better and better. This was in my Top 20 of the year for several months and it is still worthy of it to this day, although it's not in it. Like the name suggests, it is blasphemous Metal, and it's so damn good. If you're into this style of music, you will not find anything better to date, pick this up and hail satan!

9.5/10

231.) Sigh- In Somniphobia

One of the strangest albums I've heard in quite sometime that is so oddly catchy. Sigh is known for their Experimental blend of Metal. Avant Garde, Black Metal and Prog Metal all rolled into one. Japan is known for their better electronics, and usually better proficient bands, this is one shining example of how that is very, very true. pick this up for some oddly catchy experimental Progressive Black Metal.

9/10

232.) Suffer Well- Sorrows

A supergroup consisting of members of Anaal Nathrakh, 18Visions, Combichrist, Bleeding Through & Imperative Reaction. The best way to describe it is Blackened Metalcore. Kinda like what Bleeding Through has become. this is insane music that is awesomely good. A bit much to take if you are not familiar with any of the bands mentioned but worth checking out if it sounds like it can get your attention at all. So very damn impressive.

9/10

233.) Cannibal Corpse- Torture

This was and in a lot of ways still is, My Death Metal album of the year. Many older fans, and hipster young kids will disagree with me. but Kill is Cannibal Corpse's finest work. And I feel this album captures a lot of what was on that album in sheer brutality. There is no reinventing the wheel for Cannibal Corpse they have two speeds, killer fast, or brutally slow. Both equal out to some amazing Torture (pun intended). If you don't like this album, you are not a real Death Metal fan.

9.5/10

234.) Sybreed- God Is An Automation

Nothing from Sybreed will ever impress me as much as their debut album. It was the right mixture of Modern Metal at the time and it can't be touched. This gets kinda close, but it's still not the same to me. It's technically proficient and good songwriting, but it's just not for me. If you like the Modern Metal of the early to mid 2000's (Mnemic for example) then this is totally for you. It is a good album, there is no denying that, and many will argue this is their finest work to date. It might just take more listens for me to totally enjoy it as much as their first album. But it is worth the listen.

6/10

235.) Mombu- Zombi

What The bloody Hell is this? It's Improv Djenty Jazz Metal. You read that right. This was all improv like the great Jazz albums of yesteryear used to be. But it's as heavy as any Meshuggah album. for a lack of a better term, it's a complete and utter mindfuck For fans of John Zorn, Mike Patton and Meshuggah, this is for you. But to comprehend it, it will take a few weeks.

8/10

236.) The Mars Volta- Noctourniquet

This is most likely the best Mars Volta album in a decade. The dynamics on this album are awesome and something that has been missing over the last few albums. Either they have been pure chaos or over the top mellow. This is a mix of both, and that's what the fans really want. Dynamics are huge, even though most people don't think about that when it comes to music. TMV got it right this time around. While I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be. I can totally appreciate this album and enjoy it. It's great stuff.

8/10

237.) Troglodyte- Don't Go In the Woods

One of the best things to ever come out of Kansas. It's pure unadulterated Death Metal that utters barbaric lyrical content (usually about Sasquatch) The fact these guys aren't doing support slots for Death Metal tours across the country yet is heart breaking to me. They deserve to be one of the biggest names in the new era of Death Metal. And maybe in 2013 theyw ill.

9/10

238.) Halestorm- the Strange Case Of...

Halestorm....actually as I am writing this up they are on stage at First Avenue in Minneapolis. I stayed home. I like the first album a lot. The Covers EP is fantastic as well, the new album...the music is fantastic, but I am sick of Lzzy Hale. She has great pipes and of course hot as all Hell. But her lyrics are god awful. "Look at me, I'm hot, I wanna singing about sex so you buy our albums." If they are not about cheating on a girl who will give you better sex, it's about missing being in an abusive relationship. It's annoying, and it takes a lot for me to say that an album is ruined because of the lyrical content. That's the one advantage to Female Fronted Symphonic Metal, all they need to do is be hot to sell albums, not have to write about sex in every song. I'm not giving up on Halestorm, their next album will be make or break for me, but right now. I don't need to hear about sex to buy an album, that's no better than Nickelback.

3/10

239.) Knives Out!- Black Mass Hysteria

When anyone that was a part of Dog Fashion Disco makes an album i have no choice but to check it out. Knives out features members of Dog Fashion Disco and Nothingface and it is basically the heavier side of Dog Fashion Disco. Its Poppy but very Metal. While I don't even think this album would be in my top 100 albums of the year, it's still good. just a bit one sided. It's very much worth the listen if you think you'd dig this.

6/10

240.) Rumpelstiltskin Grinder- Ghostmaker

These guys have drastically changed their sound from their debut album. They started off as a Thrash band with some Melodic Death Metal thrown in. They now sound a lot like a Blackened Death Metal band with an occasional Thrash riff in a song or two. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just very strange to me that a band can change that much. I haven't been able to give this album a lot of listens, but I absolutely love what I have heard. In a lot of ways it's as if testament stuck with the Demonic sound and added some Black Metal to it like Eric Peterson's side project Dragonlord has.

7/10

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »
SIGH  :2metal: In Somniphobia is a hell of an album, but I think I actually like their older stuff better. You'd be wise to check out Imaginary Sonicscape and Hangman's Hymn if you haven't already. The new Cannibal Corpse album didn't do a whole lot for me, and I kind of forgot about it. One thing I like about this thread is that it keeps reminding me that there's albums I need to revisit in order to make my own accurate top 10 list of the year. The Knives Out! album is pretty good too, although I don't really like how Todd's basically dissected DFD into 3 different bands each representing a bit of DFD's style. Polkadot Cadaver is the "lol we can write crazy music with pop sensibilities" side, Knives Out! is the "lol we can write heavy metal" side, and El-Creepo! picks up any of the remaining styles. I still love the man to death (and in fact I'm seeing him with P-Dot performing their debut album on Friday), but I wish he'd just reform DFD already and keep doing that.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »
I really liked the Rush album. Took a while to grow on me. But The Garden might be the best closer they've ever done.  :metal

And Noctourniquet is boss. I keep forgetting about it though. So much other good music has come out this year since its release, but I really do love it for the most part.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »
God is an Automaton is a pretty great album.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
SIGH  :2metal: In Somniphobia is a hell of an album, but I think I actually like their older stuff better. You'd be wise to check out Imaginary Sonicscape and Hangman's Hymn if you haven't already. The new Cannibal Corpse album didn't do a whole lot for me, and I kind of forgot about it. One thing I like about this thread is that it keeps reminding me that there's albums I need to revisit in order to make my own accurate top 10 list of the year. The Knives Out! album is pretty good too, although I don't really like how Todd's basically dissected DFD into 3 different bands each representing a bit of DFD's style. Polkadot Cadaver is the "lol we can write crazy music with pop sensibilities" side, Knives Out! is the "lol we can write heavy metal" side, and El-Creepo! picks up any of the remaining styles. I still love the man to death (and in fact I'm seeing him with P-Dot performing their debut album on Friday), but I wish he'd just reform DFD already and keep doing that.

Couldn't agree more about Todd. It's like as if he didn't belive that DFD would be huge right now. If he'd get things back together they would be unstoppable.

I really liked the Rush album. Took a while to grow on me. But The Garden might be the best closer they've ever done.  :metal

And Noctourniquet is boss. I keep forgetting about it though. So much other good music has come out this year since its release, but I really do love it for the most part.

Agreed on both counts!

God is an Automaton is a pretty great album.

At first I didn't dig it, but I dig it a whole lot more now.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »
241.) Municipal Waste- The Fatal Feast

The Best Crossover Thrash album of the year. Municipal Waste has never ever let me down, and this album proves that once again. For those that pay attention to my radio show. For most of my episodes, the song, You're Cut Off is the ending theme, very appropriately so. Nothing revolutionary about this album, it's crossover Thrash, but it's some of the best damn Crossover Thrash you'll hear all year, unless you discover older bands/album.

9.5/10

242.) TesseracT- Perspective

This is an acoustic focused E from the Djent/Prog Metal band featuring some reworkings of songs off the first album a couple new songs as well. For an acoustic EP, it is pretty well balanced, although without saying, one sided. for those that like a softer driven Prog Rock EP, this is it!

7/10

243.) Bleeding Through- The Great Fire

I haven't paid attention to Bleeding Through in a good long time. probably since Love in Slow Motion was a single....when the Hell did they add Black Metal to their style? It actually made them a very interesting band again. without the Black Metal influence, this would be a pretty standard Metalcore/Hardcore album, but with it, it adds a ton of dimensions that I wouldn't have ever guessed could be involved. Its a very damn good album, and I was never expecting to say that. Kudos!

8/10

244.) Save Us From The Archon- How terrible, the Undergrowth's Jaw Tangle

If Protest The Hero made Djenty Prog Metal....well even more so. There is even some Post Rock moments on this album as well.But this has the Protest The Hero proficiency over some Post Rock and Prog Metal. it's a very cool combination. Like Protest, it does get a bit one sided, but its very awesome to listen to in mall doses. I'm hoping by the time of their second album they will be huge, but this is fantastic debut album

8/10

245.) Arjen Anthony Lucassen- Lost To The New Real

Arjen can never do any wrong. every single one of his releases has been a Power Prog Metal epic masterpiece. This is no different. A concept album that rally strikes a nerve to those that hear it. Arjen takes all the styles he is known for and made it into one cohesive album The covers on this album as well are very badass. Of course like everything Arjen does, there is a level of cheese to it, but it is overshadowed by everything else this album has to offer. And look out for new Ayreon coming out in 2013!

9/10

246.) Shining- Redefining Darkness

As he title suggests, this is a dark, evil Black Metal album. the first of Shining's discography since the debut not to have a numbered album title attached to it. While I don't think they will ever match the truly sad, depressing Black Metal they did in their early days, this comes pretty damn close. The productrion is top notch (how does that work in Black Metal? haha) the songwriting is killer and everything about it is sheer, evil awesomeness. While many people either forgot, or didn't know about this album, they should check it out asap. It's so very well worth it.

8/10

247.) Primal Fear- Unbreakable

This was the first Power Metal album i heard this year. And it lives up to the Primal fear name. It's a fantastic album I don't hear anyone talk about. It has all the good and bad aspects in Power Metal that you eitehr love or hate. I happen to love it all (Manowar being an exception in some cases) but Primal fear does it right. They hit a home run with this one, pick it up if you haven't already.

7/10

248.) Primate- Draw Back A Stump

a Great album that very few have heard, featuring Bill from Mastodon. This is an awesome album that a mix of Crossover Thrash, Grindcore and Hardcore with some Sludge elements. my only downside to this album is that it ends way too quickly, it's only 20 minutes long, but that gives way for repeated listens. You can definitely hear a lot of Mastodon influence in this album, which is no way a bad thing. This is a killer EP, and if you like any of the genres listed, you should check this out immediately

8/10

249.) Kreator- Phantom Antichrist

One of the best things to ever come out of Germany, and what I wish Megadeth would have came if they stuck to their original style, KREATOR. there is no denying that they do have an AC/DC quality to them, their albums do sound a lot alike. But that works for some bands like AC/DC, Slayer, etc. Kreator pulls that off flawlessly and every album in that regard is equally enjoyable. Phantom Antichrist is a great German Thrash Metal album that any real Thrash fan will dig. Ya Dig?

8/10

250) Trioscapes- Seperate Realities

I am surprised this didn't come up sooner. This trio (haha, get it?) is a side project of BTBAM bassist, Dan Briggs. It is drums, bass and Saxophone. It's 100% Instrumental Jazz Fusion Metal. It's not unlike BTBAM but it is it's own entity. this wasn't a big release or well known but Jazz fans, fusion fans Prog fans and even some Metal fans will absolutely dig this album if given a chance. And it is well worth it. This is how Jazz Metal should sound.

9.5/10

251.) Secrets of the Moon- Seven Bells

Dark, Evil Black Metal. There is actually a lot of Atmosphere around it as well with a lot of dynamics. This is absolutely one of the better Black Metal albums to be released this year. I hope this review will actually draw some attention to this album because it deserves it. It's very well written like latter Day Emperor. Black Metal fans should be drooling over this when they get the first taste of it. You won't wanna let this one go. So get it!

9/10

252.) Horrendous- The Chills

The second best Death metal album of the year. Like Asphyx, this is taking early day Death into the 2000s. You can't hear this and not think that they wouldn't go along great with Death during the Scream Bloody Gore tour. Horrendous is doing us a favor by bringing back Death metal to what it is suppose to be about, Great Riffs, catchy at that. Awesome songwriting and over just brutal. I love this album so much

9.5/10

253.) Microfilm- AF127

This is Instrumental Post Rock with lots of Prog elements, and sound clips where normally vocals would be. They go from Sex Ed class videos to other very obscure references that make the songs every interesting to listen to and enjoy. This is not your every day run of the mill Post Rock, this is a lot quirkier and and much more enjoyable. If you want something different, check this one out.

8/10

254.) Wo Fat- The Black Code

Ah yes Wo Fat. the perfect mixture of Black Sabbath and Mastodon. It's Doom Metal with some Sludgy Prog Rock thrown in. This stuff is totally killer to listen to in small doses, unless you like to get high, then it's perfect all the way through. I got into these guys last year with their debut album, and this is a fantastic step up. they are only getting better and better. And for fans of the genre. This is for you!

8/10

255.) Neal Morse- Momentum

I will defend myself to the day I die. I listen to as much Neal Morse as I do Deicide and Behemoth. I love music. I don't care what they preach both good or evil, if it is good music I will love it. Neal Morse is the king of Christian Prog Rock. there is absolutely no denying it, and this is some of his best work post Spock's Beard. The one downside to this, and every Neal Morse album is the lyrics. before you start, i don't mean the content. I mean that every album has the same story of someone who is lost in life and finds God. that is a great message, but not for every album. Luckily in the case of Momentum, it doesn't matter, the whole album is firing on all cylinders and is fantastic. Amazing Prog Rock.

9/10

256.) Morglbl- Brutal Romance

Fabulous Instrumental Prog Rock written in the style of Freak Kitchen and Frank Zappa. It's quirky, its amazingly well written and overall, just fun to listen to. It does get a tad long without vocals if you can't stand music not having vocals for a long period of time. For us Instrumental fans. it flows together so very well and it is awesome all the way through. Get this!

8/10

257.) Sear Bliss- Eternal Recurrence

Black Metal with a brass section. What are the odds? Well Symphonic black Metal is so very good, why not make a Black metal band with some Trombone for good measure. Sear Bliss proves that this can make the music even better. This is not your average Black Metal filled with Tremolo picking, deah shrieks, and blast beats. Not this is a very Progressive Black Metal album that feels like a dark evil Jazz album. While some could find this gimmicky, I do not. it flows together so well and should be heard by anyone who loves the brass section, regardless if you love Metal or not.

9/10

258.) Self Spiller- Worms In the Keys

This is what Agalloch does in their free time when not in Agalloch or teaching in college. this is some very messed up avant garde music. Electronica meets Death Metal to Post Rock to Circus music to smooth jazz. it's all over the board, and with that said, they seem like the kind of guys who would at least try to promote this album, they should have anyways. as a guy who likes music to be different, this almost borders on being too out there for me, but not quite there. After a few listens it flows together naturally. But those first few listens, it's a mind screw for sure.

7/10

259.) Counter-World Experience- Music For Kings

Instrumental Progressive Metal that sounds like if Liquid tension Experiment got back together, and made darker Prog Metal. its really the best way i can describe it. Again with instrumental music, it may feel long to you with no vocals, but at the same time, for instrumental fans like myself. the music does all the talking, and there is no need for anything else. This is killer Prog Metal.

8/10

260.) Arbor- The Plutonian Shore

Get ready for one long ass genre description.....Atmospheric Folk Progressive Black Metal. I can't make it any shorter than that without leaving something very important to the sound. this is an album I haven't been able to spend too much time on when I first got it, but with each listen I gave it it gets better and better. it's got everything you'd want from all the genres listed, all while being completely catchy and enjoyable. Like another band that will be brought up at some point, Obsidian Kingdom, these guys are making Black Metal worth listening to from any music fan. And doing it right. Please check this out!

9.5/10

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »
That Arbor album sounds interesting. I've heard Kreator, Shining, and Arjen from this post, and all of them are pretty sweet. Hordes of Chaos is the better Kreator album though.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
Nice to see appreciation for Momentum and Clockwork angels.  :tup

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:36 PM »
Arbor sounds awesome. I will also try out Sear Bliss.

Seperate realities is awesome.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
Arbor is definitely worth checking out.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »
I really ought to check out the Testament and Atoma albums...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2012, 07:44:46 PM »
How can anyone listen to so many new albums in one year?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.