Author Topic: JRundquist's 2012 Music Year In Review  (Read 13287 times)

Offline Orthogonal

Re: JRundquist's 2012 Music Year In Review
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »
Wow, how do you have the time to listen to all this? Do you even give them more than one spin? I know my opinion on albums have changed significantly the more I hear it.

Impressive regardless. Thanks for the write-up

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 01:38:58 AM »
Wow, how do you have the time to listen to all this? Do you even give them more than one spin? I know my opinion on albums have changed significantly the more I hear it.

Impressive regardless. Thanks for the write-up

As stated in the very first post, I listen to this much music for my radio show. I don't just play the singles, I play the songs I like best. in order to do that I listen to an album much more than one. I'm not even touching the 12+GBs of music I have yet to hear.

That said, don't expect any more reviews until at least Tuesday. Tomorrow (Sunday) I've got band practice followed by interviewing barney from Napalm Death, and Monday I'm interviewing Insomnium and System Divide (working on Alestorm as well), after that I gotta make a radio show and send it off by 4am central Tuesday. so I have zero time to check out anything until after I wake up on Tuesday!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »
That said, don't expect any more reviews until at least Tuesday. Tomorrow (Sunday) I've got band practice followed by interviewing barney from Napalm Death, and Monday I'm interviewing Insomnium and System Divide (working on Alestorm as well), after that I gotta make a radio show and send it off by 4am central Tuesday. so I have zero time to check out anything until after I wake up on Tuesday!
If it's Niilo or Ville, ask them what brand of conditioner do they use :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
....and I'm back:

121.) Korpiklaani- Manala

A folk Metal band that only has some Folk Metal to them, or at least it is in the background. This album contains a lot of different elements of Metal all rolled up into a big Finnish Folk Metal extravaganza. This is an example of a band that isn't meant to be taken seriously, just a fun band to be "Metal". It does get a little samey after a while, but while it is same, it is high energy and fun, and we need these kinds of albums in the world. Take a break from being serious and have fun with Koriklaani!

7/10

122.) The Cory Smoot Experiment- When Worlds Collide

This is one of the most unfortuneate albums of the year, not in the music it is badass. But the fact it was made the way it was. This album is basically all the demos and final tracks that Cory Smoot had left for this album before he died on tour with GWAR. That said, don't expect a GWAR type album at all with this one, it is a very Progressive Metal style album, that is indeed left unfinished. IF you were ever a fan of his style you should abasolutely check this out. Don't expect a full sounding album out of this one, but the songs individually are very damn good.

8/10

123.) The 11th Hour- Lacrima Mortis

This is an album that is definitely in my Top 25 and was in my top 20 for the longest time. This is a very depressing Doom/Death Metal project from one of the best drummers around, Ed Warby (Who does everything on this album except the screams). The first album from The 11th Hour is a concept album about a man dying from Lung Cancer, this album, while not a concept, is just as depressing but just as heart felt, depressing and hauntingly beautiful. FOr a new spin of Death and Doom Metal pick this one up and enjoy it, as long as it doesn't make you depressed lyrically. haha

9/10

124.) Gatherer- So Be It

Definitely one of the strangest albums to come out in a while. I'm not even really sure what to classify these guys as. Whenever the music gets heavy they get into clean vocals, when the music gets light, comes the aggressive vocals. Its a heavy, proggy style album, but at the same time it feels Indie and poppy. There is no way I can articulately describe this album, you just gotta check it out for yourself. If you do, at first you will be so confused but in the 2nd or 3rd listen, you will love it.

9/10

125.) Deathspell Omega- Drought

It wouldn't be a new year without a new release from Deathspell Omega (which makes me scared what will happen when they stop making music). Deathspell Omega is such a great definition of Progressive Black Metal. While only at 20 minutes long, it is a great listen that really captures the darkness of Progressive Black Metal they do so very, very well. The EP in general also contains a lot of atmospheric moments as well. PIck it up and love it, it's short but so very sweet.

8/10

126.) Andre Matos- The Turn Of Lights

Progressive Power Metal is back again thanks to the ex Angra frontman (The only other man who could take over for Queensryche besides Todd La Torre). This album is a shining of example of what makes Matos so damn good. the songwriting, the production, the songs themselves. If you love what he has done in the past, there is no reason not to love this. To those who have never heard of Matos before Picture what Queensryche is suppose to sound like, just heavier. This album is absolutely fantastic. get it!

9/10

127.) M-Pire Of Evil- HEll To The Holy

While Kronos wanted to go more punk in Venom, Venom wanted to get back to being a dark evil Blackened Thrash band, and they did it with this album. I think a fair assessment of this album is if Testament's Demonic and The Gathering focused on Black Metal rather than Death Metal, and you get this album. For Thrash fans and old school Venom fans, pick this one up!

7/10

128.) Taproot- The Episodes

When did Taproot get heavy? I am pleasently surprised by this album Its not only heavy, its quite experimental, If I didn't know any better I could have sworn Mike Patton wrote this album (I'm just as shocked as you saying that). Taproot has always been one of those bands that were mainstream accessible that makes you go. I like them, not much but they are better then the other stuff out there. The Episodes feels like a very Dark experimental hard Rock concept album and actually regained my faith in the band. IF there are any Taproot fans who love the song Poem, and that's it, this album is NOT for you. This is actually a under appreciated Hard Rock album that most will not hear.

8/10

129.) Crippled Black Phoenix- (Mankind) The Crafty Ape

Experimental Post Rock. If UneXpect made Post Rock instead of Post Metal. While this album has a ton of great songs on it, it does tend to get a bit long, but if you love the style it is up your alley with all 78 minutes of it. Post fans should be going crazy for this if they aren't already.

8/10

130.) Vertigo Steps- Surface/Light

This is definitely one of the favorite discoveries of the year for me. It's as if Dream Theater, Faith No More, and Kevin Moore made an album made an album together, throw in some female vocals in sections and make it dark, and it all fits together so very well. I am very surprised these guys aren't blowing up yet as this album is phenomenal. For a band that you wouldn't have discovered otherwise, get this album NOW! Prog fans, there is no reason not to love this album start to finish.

9.5/10

And that's it for now, going to see Skyfall tonight and get my mind off music for a few hours.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »
Only listened to the first few tracks of the Andre Matos cd, but it sounds really good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
unexpecT are post-metal?! trippy.

thanx for the thread, btw; ive checked out a few previously unknown bands. mixed results, but im actually really digging that Pepe Delux album. also, despite being pretty big into AAL, i had never checked out T.R.A.M til now. its bad-ass.  :metal

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2012, 04:53:42 PM »
Only listened to the first few tracks of the Andre Matos cd, but it sounds really good.

It really is.

thanx for the thread, btw; ive checked out a few previously unknown bands. mixed results, but im actually really digging that Pepe Delux album. also, despite being pretty big into AAL, i had never checked out T.R.A.M til now. its bad-ass.  :metal

No no no, I mean if UneXpect MADE Post Metal, that's what it would sound like. Close though, hhaha.

Glad you are digging Pepe Deluxe and T.R.A.M.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
Manala is good, but there are others that are better, like Ukon Wacka.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »

hey, I'm not sure if I would describe Mankind (the Crafty Ape) exactly like that, but I kind of follow why he was saying that, given the experimental nature and use of instruments they use like Unexpect.

But Crippled Black Phoenix to me combines elements of Ennio Morricone with the alt/country Western Soundtrack vibe, along with a really great (epic) Pink Floyd side. They sort of have taken the mantle from bands like Clann Zu and Murder By Death in some ways.

It's weird to see a lot of Pepe Deluxe fans showing up recently, as back in March when I was loving them, my gf was like the only one I could get to listen to them.

Gotta thank JRundquist for helping spread the word about them and some others (maybe Gatherer as well?)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »
Cory Smoot Project was a vocalist away from being really special, and if not for his death I think it would have gotten there. 

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 02:19:32 AM »
131.) Just Like Vinyl- Black Mass

A very experimental Alternative Rock/Metal album. The Lead singer, guitarist of The Fall Of Troy is fronting this band. Its like if Coheed And Cambria wanted to be Every Time I Die, or if Every Time I Die wanted to be Coheed and Cambria. it's very....different. I recommend it for a fan of any of the three bands mentioned above, for me it's not my bag, but I know someone out there will like one of those 3 bands and will dig this, so give it a good listen.

6/10

132.) Mono- For My Parents

It's very hard to top perfection. Mono tried topping Hymn To The Immortal wind with For My Parents. It doesn't beat it in my opinion but it gets very damn close. This album is full of sheer brilliance. Its a symphonic, soundtrack tour de force. So much emotion is packed into this album its hard not to sit back and let your emotions get the better of you. For a fan of any style of REAL music, this should be held high. Don't forget about this one, it's a keeper!

9/10

133.) Primalfrost- Chapters Of Time

Canadian Folk Metal. You'd think it would just be an ode to Rush and Kraft Dinner right? Nope, it is a very Alestorm meets Primordial EP that I am digging a lot. Its a very heavy album but lots of cleans amongst the Folk Metal, and Black Metal which makes it easier to digest. As you can imagine the songs are about Winter and at time maybe a tad bit cheesy, but again it's Canada, so it's all good. Check it out!

7/10

134.) Luna Amara- Pietre in Alb

Just got this album a few days ago and I am quite impressed. its a lighter progressive Metal album. Lots of Alternative Rock thrown in amongst some Dream theater and Opeth style moments (no screams). I am still digesting the album but it is very damn good. Its the kind of album where you think, this should be on mainstream radio, if mainstream radio didn't absolutely suck. The only thing I would say is that the vocal style at times is a bit jarring, trying to hit low notes he can not hit, but from the sounds of it, these guys will make it far as long as they keep up the great songwriting and above all keep polishing their work.

7/10

135.) Yossi Sassi- Melting Clocks

From the guitarist of Orphaned Land comes a Epic Hebrew Prog Rock album that in a lot of ways reminds me of bands like Camel, Porcupine Tree and some Dream Theater. It reminds me a lot of the Daniel Jakubovic album last year that was number 2 for me last year. Although this time around its a bit more one sided. yes it is a varied Prog Rock album but it does start to feel long after a while, but its an album where enjoyed in pieces is a damn masterpiece. Prog fans, don't miss this one.

8/10

136.) Psycroptic- The Inherited Repression

Ever since last year, its been really damn hard for a Technical Death Metal band to impress me as much as it used to. I am well passed the LOOK HOW MANY NOTES I CAN PLAY PHASE. I have been for years, I like a band who can make a solid yet varied Tech Death Metal album, and that's exactly what this is. There is a lot of unexpected dynamics throughout this and lots of melodies and harmonies that are not heard in this style much anymore. While this is another album I haven't been able to give my full attention, it is by far a killer album and should not be overlooked. it will be underrated this year. that is a given, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't check it out.

7/10

137.) Every Time I Die- Ex Lives

I don't know if it is just from the bad experience I had meeting these guys or I just grew out of these guys but Every Time I die just doesn't hit home like Hot Damn! did for me. The one thing this album has going for it is the amount of dynamics and not just chaos, its quite varied, as if These Damn Things had an affect on the band, which is a good thing. Nowhere near a favorite for me but it is better for what it is worth.

6/10

138.) Lethian Dreams- Season Of Raven Words

Atmospheric Doom Metal sung with Female vocals. This was one of the first albums to grab my attention this year and I gotta say it is still impressive after all this time. No screams on this one either. While its not album of the year worthy for me, someone out there will discover this (hopefully thanks to this thread) and will love it and call it the album of the year, and they wouldn't be wrong in saying that. Its a very dark atmospheric all clean female vocal departure from what you normally hear and it deserves some great attention. Give it a shot.

8/10

139.) Ides Of Gemini- Constantinople

A very different take on Sludge Metal. There is a lot of Doom and minimalistic Indie rock on this one. Its a very odd combination to me, it's an odd mix for sure. It is also a female clean vocal driven album which explains a lot of it actually. I dig it a lot although it takes a few spins to it to click. If you want a new approach to Sludge metal without the stereotypes, get it and love it.

7/10

140.) Adaliah- Broken Families

This is the closest thing to Brocore I will ever....EVER like. It is as if Periphery made a Deathcore/Hardcore album. Also kind of similar in style to the early days of The Contortionist, which is why I love it. Amongst the Deathcore style riffs there are moments of pure beauty and perfection thrown in. If Deathcore could be made like this I would have never hated it, but they love their open note chuggs and breakdowns too much to change. This is as close as you will get to a Deathcore album that Prog fans will love. Embrace it!

9/10

Offline Mladen

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 03:44:56 AM »
Of all the albums you've reviewed, I've only heard the new Stone Sour. And I gotta agree, it is that good.  :tup  :metal

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »
Of all the albums you've reviewed, I've only heard the new Stone Sour. And I gotta agree, it is that good.  :tup  :metal

I'm still shocked at how good this album is. I was fully expecting it to suck.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
2 cents: Vertigo Steps is awesome :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 03:43:48 AM »
141.) Seven Kingdoms- The Fire Is Mine

Female Fronted Power Metal. On record they are awesome, live....not so much, at least not back in 2010 when I saw them open for Blind Guardian. This album is vast improvement from their first album. While its nothing you wouldn't hear on any standard Power Metal album, it is done right, very catchy and fun to listen to, as Power Metal should be. If you dig Power Metal, check it out.

7/10

142.) Atoma- Skylight

There is Progressive Post Metal like Long Distance Calling, then there is Progressive Post Metal like Atoma. Kinda going in the opposite direction of LDC, Atoma has more of an science/outer space feel throughout. It also helps that Christian Älvestam on backup vocals and guitar. Another good way to look at this album is if Scary Symmetry or Solution .45 did Post Metal. It's a very damn good album and a fan of anything described here needs to check this out immediate. It didn't make my top 20 but it's top 30 material for me, and could be your new favorite album.

9.5/10

143.) Lamb Of God- Resolution

I haven't really been a fan of Lamb Of God since As The Palaces Burn. Every album since then has had a few songs that are great with a lot of songs I just don't care about.....this album is no different. Yes I feel bad about what has happened to Randy Blythe, there is no denying that, and if they get the opportunity to write another album it could be their best, but this isn't it. Granted there is some killer songs on here, specifically the first couple and last couple songs. Everything else is the standard LOG songs. It's not bad, just not my bag. if you like the previous LOG albums this album is totally for you.

7/10

144.) Astra- The Black Chord

This is a nice, HEAVY, throwback to 70's Prog Rock. Definitely in the vein of Zappa, Rush, Yes, King Crimson, etc; but done in a modern way that modern day Prog fans will also love. I dig this album a lot and it's a great gem in the world of Prog bands trying to be nothing but technical. This you can kick back and enjoy. Real Prog Rock fans take notice of this and pick it up immediately.

9/10

145.) Firewind- Few Against Many

Firewind has been on a Sonata Arctica type downhill slide for a while now. While they aren't nearly as bad as the newest SA, Few Against Many just doesn't live up to their older albums in my eyes. Its a bit too focused on the Rock side instead of The Power Metal that I discovered them with. It's not a bad album by any means and may get you into the band if this is your first time hearing about them, but just disappointing to a long time fan.

5/10

146.) Terrorizer- Hordes Of Zombies

One of the finest examples of Death Metal/Grindcore currently going. It has everything you want in the genre. It's super fast and heavy, its about Zombies, it doesn't get old. it's just a perfect, killer Death Metal/Grindcore album. Short Sweet and and sexy. The Other kind of Triple S.

9/10

147.) Zero Absolu- Automn

This is a very laid back Post Rock/Electronic album that reminds me of the mellow side of Kevin Moore and O.S.I. When it is really mellow all the way through the dynamics do show up just by adding drums or other instruments. Which does add a lot in this style. This is not a Metal or Hard Rock album,so don't go into this one expecting it to be that way. it's a relaxing mellow album that fits the mood when you don't want something rockin' or heavy. I dig it, you might as well.

8/10

148.) Hail Spirit Noir- Pneuma

Here comes more Black Metal, but not in the standard way. In a lot of ways this album reminds me of present day Borknager. And I mean that in the best way possible. its very dynamic and progressive at the same time. the vocals that are normally in Black Metal are either loved or completely hated. In this instance They are very bearable for anyone who may hate Black Metal for that reason alone. The production isn't the best but it's still worth a listen. Try it out.

7/10

149.) As I Lay Dying- Awakened

The one thing I will give AILD is that they've only gotten heavier over the years. Sometimes the vocals completely blow, like the clean vocals on their last album,. but this album particular showcases bot their vocal ability and heavy songwriting skills in what may be their best album (Although An Ocean Between Us is still a favorite of mine) Don't write this one off because it is Christian Metalcore. It's well worth the listen for some great songs.

7/10

150.) Merkaba- A Lament For The Lamb

A very...."What the hell is this?" kind of album. Math Metal and Improv Jazz. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. If Meshuggah added John Zorn and Mike Patton to the band, it would essentially be this. It's not an album you can wrap your head around on the first, second or third listen, but if you let it sink in, it is stellar, until then it will leave you scratching your head. I love it.

9/10

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 03:47:22 AM »
I'm going to check out Just Like Vinyl, since I used to live The Fall of Troy. Also checking out Mono, sounds very intrigueing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 02:14:56 AM »
151.) Flying Colors- Flying Colors

I'm surprised this didn't come up sooner, but hey it's here now. This is the best Mike Portnoy release of 2012. It has everything a Prog fan could want and a stellar lineup at that. 5 Excellent songwriters writing Prog, ah yeah! There is some heavy moments like All Falls Down, there is some very Alt Rock moments like Kayla and The Storm, and some epic Prog like Infinite Fire and Blue Ocean. It has it all and Real Prog fans, how could you not have this already?

9.5/10

152.) PostHumanBigBang- PostHumanBigBang

This is a great example of a band who will only get bigger and better from this point out. Another fantastic debut album from an unknown source, those are usually the best ones. This is a super unknown Progressive Metal Masterpiece that many people will not hear simply because no one knows about it. There are moments of Opeth, Periphery, Dream Theater, Faith No More, Fates Warning (Almost all clean vocals by the way). Give this one a shot, I know this is one I know I will feel responsible for you liking.

9.5/10

153.) God Seed- I begin

Remember when Gaahl quit Metal to be with his male Fashion designer companion? Well apparently he felt the need to be evil again with God Seed, his post Gorgoroth band. Its Black Metal for sure. a bit more Traditional Black Metal but still kinda brutal. I think if nothing else it is worth a novelty listen, I can't take the man seriously but the music is not bad.

6/10

154.) Tenacious D- Rize Of The Fenix

Let's be honest here, nothing beats the self titled debut from these guys. No matter how good they are, that album can't be topped. That said this has some of their best written songs, only some people will truly know about this as Tenacious D isn't as well accepted as they once were. Its a very funny album that again like the album above deserves at least a novelty listen. Many people have already forgotten about it, but it should be heard and enjoyed.

7/10

155.) Dragonforce- The Power Within

The most diverse Dragonforce album to date, if you listen real closely you can actually hear notes being played and possibly even be able to tell what riffs are being played. haha But seriously. This is a damn good album for as much as I make fun of Dragonforce, they are a fun band. About half the album is mid tempo and slower ballads, the rest of the album has them playing faster than ever before. They aren't reinventing the wheel, just reinventing how they use a metronome. haha But again I digress, its a fun killer album chalk full of fun Power Metal, check it out!

8/10

156.) Hurt- The Crux

One of my favorite Radio bands that never got the recognition they deserve. Well they were popular for about 6 weeks then dropped off the face of the mainstream Earth, and there is no reason for that, as they are a fantastic band. In my humble Opinion, if Pain Of Salvation came from America, they would be Hurt. My one complaint about this album is a bit heavy on the pop side instead of the Rock side, but they make up for it in other sections of them being very heavy and rockin'. Hurt is basically what I wish Pain Of Salvation would return to be, heavy, poppy and epic. I don't think Hurt will ever reach top 40 standards again sadly, but they deserve it and this album while not their best, is a great example of why.

8/10

157.) Ancients- Star Showers On The Euphrates

Here comes more Post Rock, although except for the final track, it's shorter more to the point Post Rock. The album increases in length as the album goes on (The final track is 23 minutes long) but it is quite an awesome adventure. Another album I never would have discovered if it wasn't for the radio show. It makes me so happy to hear bands like this kicking ass. Give this a listen, it is very damn good. If you want Godspeed You! Black Emperor, there's a tack for you, If you want God Is An Astronaut, there is a song for you, if you want Explosions In The Sky, again, there is a song for you.. If you ever wondered.....what the hell is Post Rock? This is the album for you. Get this and enjoy it now.

9.5/10

158.) Beyond Terror Beyond Grace- Nadir

This is another album that is really hard to categorize. It's Djenty but its very doomy. If Cloudkicker added Doom Metal and screams, I think that could be a fair assessment. While it does take a bit to make it though the album, it is quite good with some good songs. for a different apporach to Djent, check this out.

7/10

159.) Maserati- Maserati VII

This is an album I was not expecting to come out at all, hell I thought the band was over. in 2009, Drummer Jerry Fuchs fell to his death from a broken elevator. They released Pyramid Of The sun in 2010 with his final recordings, after that, I thought they were done. Low and behold, this year they have a new album, it sounds like nothing happened at all. It is classic Post Rock and Space Rock that they are known for, and they are still at their prime. Support this band and check this album out. It's awesome.

8/10

160.) Hammer Horde- Vinlander

There is Viking Metal like Amon Amarth. There is Viking Metal like Enslaved, and then there is Viking Metal like Hammer Horde. This is still very much heavy and Viking inspired, but there is much more of a pure Heavy Metal influence on this album. As if Iron Maiden started writing like Enslaved. while the production isn't the best, the songs more than make up for it. Its like you are caught int eh middle of a Nordic Viking War against their enemies. get some brew and some wenches and enjoy Hammer Horde!

8/10

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »

2nd album from the list you've converted me to.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »

The first one being...? :) I think you meant to quote J!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »

The first one being...? :) I think you meant to quote J!

No, meant to quote you, but did mean that J converted me with the Vertigo Steps. Was a bit confusing I guess. The other was Nightflight Orchestra.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2012, 06:03:35 PM »
Loving Posthumanbigbang. Very good mix styles. I will also be checking out AtomA.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2012, 10:44:58 PM »
cant tell just yet, but i might be oddland fan. a few more spins required to confirm.

posthumanbigbang was also an interesting listen.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2012, 12:31:04 AM »
161.) Worm Ouroboros- Come The Thaw

This is the thing when it comes to Post Rock that almost comes off as Funeral Doom Metal. it takes a loooooooooooong time for songs to kick in, if they ever do. This album (and really every album they have) while very good, is the kind of album that you put on when you need some music to fall asleep to at night. It doesn't kick in much at all, but its an oddly soothing experience. There is very little dynamics or variety on this album, but when you need a break from traditional Rock or Metal or Post music. Put this on. It puts you to sleep.....in a good way not because its boring way.

7/10

162.) Huntress- Spell Eater

Female Fronted Power Metal that incorporates a lot of thrash and black metal. Having seen them twice this year, once for Paganfest, the other opening for Dragonforce....They are either a hit or a big miss. the first time it was a big miss, during Dragonforce it was better. Much like Seven Kingdoms mentioned earlier in this thread, great on the album, not so much live. And having heard them live first, it kinda takes things away for me on the album, although it is quite good. Had I heard the album first I may feel differently. But don't avoid this album because of that, check it out, it's a fun listen.

7/10

163.) Master- The New Elite

Ah yes, Master. One of the Masters of Death Metal are back and as strong as ever. This has all you need in old school Death Metal. Hast heavy, thrashy Death Metal. Not the most original music of course but it fits the need for any real Death Metal fan. Old School Metal Fans, get this and enjoy it.

8/10

164.) Whitechapel- Whitechapel

This is one of the albums that caused one of my favorite bad quotes of 2012. "I want my ignorant Deathcore back." Whitechapel has been the one real Deathcore band that I have never hated. IS till think to this day This Is Exile is a fantastic album. This album is also very, very damn good. it's not just breakdowns and squeals. There is actually substance behind this album and where can you hear that in Deathcore otherwise? This is more of a Death METAL album more than anything and I'm totally cool with that. The br00tal kids hate this album from what I can tell, guys like me that care more of music than just breakdowns and squeals will enjoy this album much more. This is some good stuff.

7/10

165.) The Levitation Hex- The Levitation Hex

This is another album that is hard to categorize. It contains some Proggy passages, but it contains a lot of Death Metal and Hardcore style vocals over Thrash Metal. So let's go with that....Progressive Hardcore Death Thrash. haha. Its not an album that is easy to comprehend at first but if you give it a chance it is indeed worth it. it's nowhere near for everyone, but for those that are willing to give it a chance, You'll dig it.

6/10

166.) Cattle Decapitation- Monolith of Inumanity

Oh yes, the Death Metal and Grindcore band for the Ages, Cattle Decapitation. I dare say one of the best albums of the genre for the year. The album is very well produced and mix and the songs are top notched. everything else about them is well......well just look them up if you really wanna know more about them. the name alone should give you an idea. It's not an album for the faint of heart. It's brutal as all hell and the lyrics and even more specifically the song titles will show you that. If you need brutal, this is your album.

8/10

167.) In This Moment- Blood

Oh I have been waiting for this album to pop up.....It sucks so much! This is an example of a band that had so much potential that went out of their way to sell out with tits and singing about being a whore and not just taking away what made them good (a good mix of Thrash and Metalcore with female vocals) they added fucking electronics and autotune to the album. Not just on the single which has it the most, but the whole damn album. The only reason you should hear this album is if your girlfriend wants to bang to this album, even then she should be nice and give you some ear plugs. They turned into Five Finger Death Punch.....with titties.

2/10 (the two is only for 1 for one each boobie, because they are nice)

168.) Muse- The 2nd Law

And what are the odds this one would be next. I caught a lot of crap for this because I could only make it through the first half of the album before I gave up on it. And even after getting all that crap I went back and gave it m\one more full listen. It's like watching the transformers movies. When you watch the original cartoon movie, you think awesome, this is how it should sound. Then someone decides they need to be redesigned and remade 4 times (including the upcoming movie) and with each album you keep getting more and more depressed, the first movie breaks your heart, the second album steps on it, the third movie takes a hot steamy dump on it....you get my point. This is how I feel about Muse withe very album after Absolution. Why mess with success? that's what they did again and it gets progressively worse. The electronics involved this time are even more annoying than before. The lyrics are even more pretentious (and those usually never bother me) and the songs are just....eww no. So give me crap if you really have to about this one. i will disagree. Muse sucks now!

1/10

169.) Testament- Dark Roots Of Earth

BEST DAMN THRASH METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR! I know there are some people are disappointed in this album compared to The Formation Of Damnation. To me, this is the album I wanted. It was in my Top 20 for a good long time and its in my top 25 without question. Chuck Billy and Co. are again at the top of their game. I love it so much. Pure unadulterated Thrash!

9.5/10

170.) Jazzkamikaze- The Return of Jazzkamikaze

Jazz, Alternative Rock, Math Rock and a bit of Post Rock. In sense kinda like The Reign Of Kindo, although done differently. Unlike their last album this one is purely instrumental, which alienated some fans. for me, I love it just the same because it focuses on the music more. And it's great stuff. Jazz fans will love it, Prog fans would love it, Rock fans in general with an open mind can appreciate it. If you are in need for something completely different, please check this out. its so well worth your listen.

9.5/10

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2012, 09:52:16 AM »
I agree with you on The 2nd Law. I couldn't make it through half of that album. I had to turn it off. Muse's worst release by far.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »
Overkill's "The Electric Age" was the thrash album of the year. It's not even a contest.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2012, 10:11:26 PM »
I agree with you on The 2nd Law. I couldn't make it through half of that album. I had to turn it off. Muse's worst release by far.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was getting ridiculed pretty bad for my distaste of it back when it came out.

Overkill's "The Electric Age" was the thrash album of the year. It's not even a contest.

That will be coming up eventually...

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »
Ready for 30 more albums?

171.) Coheed and Cambria- The Afterman: Ascension

This is part one to a double disc album much done like what Stone Sour and Wintersun are also currently doing, release part 1 now, release part 2 a few months later. It's a good business strategy. Although many fans look at that only as a business ploy. It also helps you appreciate both albums as they are released rather than skipping over what could be some great tracks just because of the length of the thing. With Coheed an Cambria, I only like about an albums worth of material from the band. It's just not my bag to enjoy for more than a couple songs at a time, if that. With this though it is done in a different and perhaps better way. The vocals aren't nearly as Geddy Lee sounding, and the music has dome good dynamics. Even with the short length of this basically EP, It still doesn't do it for me. Although many C&C fans will see this as their best work to date. Which it very well could be.

5/10

172.) I Am I- Event Horizon

This is the new project for the former lead singer of Dragonforce, ZP Theart....and wouldn't you know it, it's not much different at all than Dragonforce. Sure it's not as nerdy and Techy as Dragonforce, but the feeling of the Power Metal is all there. In a way it reminds a lot of listening to early day Sonata Arctica. It's not the most original sound in Power Metal but it is pretty damn good for what it is, fun Power Metal. you can absolutely tell it's ZP doing vocals. Considering this band just got together this year and released an album, it's quite impressive. There is a lot of room to grow though as I am sure they will. Power Metal should love this album, as they should.

7/10

173.) Twelve Foot Ninja- Silent Machine

The Mutant Bastard Offspring of the two headed child that could of been if Mike Patton and Fredrik Thordendal started a band. If you couldn't figure out what I meant by that, Twelve Foot Ninja sounds like Mike Patton took over for Meshuggah. There is a lot of Faith No More influence all over on this bad boy, and its awesome. Yes there is some Djenty Meshuggah style riffs on songs, and most people seem to be turned off by that now a days (funny how no one has a problem when Meshuggah does it but when any other band does it....) but don't let it turn you away if you don't like that, the rest of the album more than makes up for it. It's an insanely fun listen all the way through and it deserves all the attention it gets and more. Alternative Prog Metal, is there anything more erotic?

9/10

174.) Diablo Swing Orchestra- Pandora's Pinata

The way I have described Diablo Swing Orchestra for years is if a band got inspired by Devin Townsend's Bad Devil and wanted to have a hot chick sing for the band. Just as the name suggest, it sounds like a demented Metal Swing Orchestra. Another very fun listen all the way through, although sometimes hard to comprehend. If you don't have enough Metallic Devil's sing music to listen to\, get this and enjoy now!

8/10

175.) Loch Vostok- V: The Doctrine Decoded

Fates Warning meets Emperor. There is no better way to describe it. It s Symphonic Black Metal, meets Melodic Progressive Metal album. It really sounds like Ray Adler is singing on this album with Ihsahn. I just discovered these guys this year and I wish I had years ago. It's fantastic and so is the 4 albums before this. If you like Prog or Black Metal, or even better BOTH; get this and enjoy it now!

9.5/10

176.) Ash Borer- Cold Of Ages

Black Metal with elements of Sludge and Doom Metal at times. With only 4 tracks on this album and the whole thing being almost 62 minutes long. It is a very epic album, unless you are a big Black Metal fan that loves very long songs, this may be a chore for you to listen to all the way through, but if you are a fan, this is a masterpiece. For me, It's kinda in between. It's spectacular, but long and more enjoyable one song a time. If you are up for it, check this out and enjoy!

8/10

177.) Havok- Point Of No Return

Arguably the best new Thrash band going right now. Havok released a very short but awesome 4 track EP this year, Point Of No Return. There is only two original songs on it plus two covers from Sepultura and Slayer. All 20 minutes of this is pure Thrash Heaven. Havok needs more love than they are getting and should be one of the biggest bands going, I hope that will happen soon. This is the perfect starting place to discover the new era of Thrash.

9/10

178.) Becoming The Archetype- I Am

I don't know too much about this band other than the fact they are a Christian Metal band who had one album produced by Mr. Devin Townsend. To me this album while not being bad at all, just isn't my bag anymore. A few years ago I would have been all over this, but today, not so much. It reminds me a lot of an unquirky Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza that likes being serious, Which I know some people love. If you are into that, this album is for you!

6/10

179.) When Icarus Falls- Aegean

Very Isis style Post Metal here. It's very dark, yet dynamic. The name makes you think it will be some majestic Power Metal, that is not the case, well except lyrically. It's a new spin on Mythology and a very cool one at that. Since Isis is gone, we need Post Metal like this, these guys are doing the job quite well filling in that void in our lives. pick this one up!

7/10

180.) The Safety Fire- Grind the Ocean

I first heard of these guys as they were opening for Protest The Hero and Periphery earlier this year. It is very cool Djenty style Progressive Metal, that like the new Periphery focuses more on being Proggy than Djenty. While these guys are still young as a band, they have room to grow with an album like this, and that will shine more as the years goes on. Pick this one up if you are a fan of the Djent Style Prog Metal, you will not be disappointed.

8/10

181.) Sigur Ros- Valtari

I had no idea that Sigur Ros had a new album coming out until i got the promo for this album. It is one of the more dreamy albums to come out this year, which is tradition with Sigur Ros. There is a few moments of Electronica type drums, but those do not last. Like a few albums I have mentioned on this list, this is an album that is great to just kick back and relax to. it puts you into a great meditative state that is perfect to fall asleep to. Don't expect much dynamics in this Post Rock album, its not really their style. Just picture a beautiful, dreamy album to listen to right before or as you are going to sleep. Its the perfect album for that.

8/10

182.) Paradise Lost- Tragic Idol

It's somewhat of a shame this is not in my top 20 of the year, as it is absolutely indeed worthy of it. But a couple other albums beat it this year. This a very heavy and doomy Paradise Lost album. Ever since their self Titled album which was the last kinda Electronic style album, they've only been getting heavier and doomier which is never a bad thing. Its just as catchy as any of their material is, all while not losing it's touch. It really is one of the best albums of the year, but I'll let your ears judge for you.

9.5/10

183.) Overkill- The Electric Age

Many people say that this album is the best Thrash album of the year. As you may have read earlier in this thread, I feel Testament did a much better album this year. But that is in no way saying this isn't one one of the most badass albums out there this year. There a couple songs on this album that do make this album drag to me, and I do feel their previous album Ironbound is the best Thrash album of the 2000s so far. The Electric Age comes very very close, and it does have some of their coolest songs, but it's not the best Thrash album this year in my eyes. Feel free to debate me on the subject....although again that said IT'S AWESOME!

9/10

184.) Earthrise- Eras Lost

Earthrise is a local Twin Cities Post Metal band that is much more than that. There is so much dynamics in the heaviness to this band it's unreal and this album simply kicks ass from beginning to end. in a sense it reminds me of the heavy side of Long Distance Calling, with Harsh, early day Mastodon style vocals. That's a winning combination to me. This album is perfectly produced and polished that it should be heard by anyone into this style. I know a few people reading this should be drooling over this idea. Just wait till you hear this thing!

9/10

185.) Cryptopsy- Cryptopsy

Did somebody say MAJOR COMEBACK? Well it's probably not about Cryptopsy, haha. But seriously I love this album, but nobody know about this thing due to some kind of lack of promotion. Technical Death Metal is back after their much panned The Unspoken King. For Tech Death Metal this is one of the better albums of the year by far. Some say it sounds forced, to me, it sounds completely natural for Tech Metal. that is a rarity in and of itself. But again, unless you are into this thing, it will sound just like a bunch of random noise and scales and blast beats to you. If you can look past it, you should love this baby!

8/10

186.) Van Halen- A Different Kind Of Truth

NOW THIS IS A MAJOR COMEBACK!!!!! BEST HARD ROCK ALBUM OF THE YEAR, HELL YEAH, CAPSLOCK!!!! This again was in my top 20 albums for MONTHS but slide down in place for other albums. The only down side to this album is the lyrics to the opening track, Tattoo, they are simply bad and cheesy, not in a good way. Every other little thing about this album makes up for that in a huge way. There is some very heavy songs in here, there is some standard Van Halen tracks as well, but overall, it's the best comeback album of the year as well. And there is no reason why you shouldn't love this album as well, unless you hate Classic Rock, then you just suck! haha

9.5/10

187.) Manowar- The Lord Of Steel

This is umm........Power Metal. The cheesy stereotypes that you see in all Power Metal bands today. It's not as bad as I was expecting it to be, a few songs I actually do like. But it's the cheesiest thing that has come out this year. Which can be good or bad depending on the listener. For me, its something I can't take seriously at all as there is much better, non cheesy Power Metal out there. I'd happily take that. This on the other hand....Well it's a Manowar album, what else needs to be said?

5/10

188.) Evans Blue- Graveyard Of Empires

This band suffered one of the worst non-death things that can happen to a band....losing a powerful lead singer. And vocally, like their last album, it really makes the overall band suffer. It sucks saying that as the first Evans Blue albums are perfection in my eyes. Musically the music is just as good as ever, but it doesn't have the same impact as they used to. It sounds like a much heavier Hard Rock style now than previously done. they replace the high soaring vocals that were done with some screams. If this was their first album I'd be all over that, but knowing what they were before, it feels wrong. Again, it's not bad, but it doesn't feel right.

5/10

189.) All That Remains- A War You Cannot Win

To quote the end of one of my favorite Family Guy conversations "...Better?" there are some moments on this album that are great, but it suffers the same fate as the song Two Weeks...uninspired Pop Rock with technical solos. Forever gone are the days of The Fall Of Ideals and This Darkened Heart. They are never coming back. There are 3 songs that contain any kind of older style ATR and the rest is Two Weeks and the last album rehashed. it's basically how I feel about Avenged Sevenfold since the self Titled album. A couple good songs with rehashed filler for the rest. Unless you really love the Hard Rock stylings of ATR, this album isn't for you, for me it's not

4/10

190.) Miss May I- At Heart

I will be completely honest. I didn't think I would like Miss May I squarely based on the band name and song titles alone, But I was proven wrong. They are a very heavy, As I Lay Dying style band that kicks a lot of ass. They definitely aren't posers (my chat with Bassist, clean vocalist Ryan Neff, I had after our official interview proves that to a T) These guys are keeping the good spirits of Metalcore alive when in a world of bad Metalcore like Asking Alexandria and I See Stars are around. Many people won't be able to tell the difference, but I can and these guys should be where Asking Alexandria are, simply on the basis that they do not suck. look past the name and some song titles and give this a shot, you will be pleasantly surprised.

8/10

191.) Apathy- Ghost Light

Very dark Progressive Death Metal. It borders on Doom Metal at times in a Daylight Dies/Opeth kinda way. This is a bit of a short album at 32 minutes long. But it is very damn good. the promo copy I received does sound like a web rip, but the real version is quite stellar. Its an unexpected surprise that grabs you and holds you in for all 32 minutes. Give it a fair shot, it is quite awesome and will keep your attention!

8/10

192.) Cyclamen- Memories, Voices

Another Djent style Progressive band that has some of the finest musicianship in the entire genre. The one downside to these guys is the screaming style, at times. It sometimes fits, other times, not so much, but the cleans are very damn good on this EP. Its a short 22 minute EP that is well worth the listen if given a chance. They are only really known for Djent fans but this could crossover.

7/10

193.) Constants- Pasiflora

I'm usually not into Shoegaze music that doesn't have some kind of Metal attached to it, and I think I figured out why. It gets very, very samey after a while. In small doses, it is great. A full album would make me a Emo Hipster kid. That thinks I'm better than everyone else, all while being severely depressed. I wish there was more dynamics on this album, but then I remembered, Shoegaze is not about dynamics, its about atmosphere, which is why I only like it attached with Metal. If you are into Shoegaze, you'll love this.

5/10

194.) Weapon- Embers And Revelations

This is a killer Black Metal album that really feels like a Blackened Death Metal album. I saw these guys open for Marduk and 1349 earlier this year, and I've been a fan ever since. Its very creative Black Metal that should be given a real chance. It's quite worth it, and the live experience is even better. I recommend this one very high in terms of Black Metal, creativity is rarely a bad thing.

8/10

195.) Bane- The Acasual Fire

No this is not the Hardcore Punk band, this is pure Heavy Black Metal. I went into this album thinking it was the American band Bane, and was blown away with this. Again, this is creative Black Metal that should be getting huge recognition right now. If you need something different I praise this album as being one of the best Black Metal albums of the year and sadly, not many people will hear it, prove me wrong and check it out.

9/10

196.) Down- Down IV Part 1- The Purple EP

Its been way too long since Down III: Over The Under came out. This somewhat fills the void until the next two parts come out. It's Dark, heavy sludgy and pure DOWN. Anselmo and Co. have done it again and it is fantastic. While the EP is a bit one sided (as it should be as all three EPs showcase the three sides of Down) it does not get old. Its Pure Metal and it should be regarded high. I know I do.

9/10

197.) AEGES- The Bridge

Spelled /-EGES, Ages is a bit of a Post Hardcore tip for me. I can't stand most Post Hardcore as it is usually quite whiny, and I can never relate to 15 year old kids crying about their girlfriends. This is actually quite listenable and not whiny. It also contains some pretty poppy Alternative Rock and some Post Rock moments which helps balance out the dynamics. Overall, not something I'd normally like, but this is pretty cool and worth checking out.

7/10

198.) Vanisher- Unbound

A Very Heavy Hard Rock/Metal album. Somewhat like All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold style band. It has all the makings of a radio band that doesn't suck. Considering this is their first album, I can imagine them getting some notoriety in the next couple years or so. While it's a bit too commercial for my usual tastes, listening to this all the way through, its quite good and I dig it a lot. for a more commercial, yet underground bad, check this out.

6/10

199.) Pyramid Theorem- Pyramid Theorem

I'm a bit biased on this album as they are good friends of mine. But this Canadian Progressive Rock/Metal band will be the next Dream Theater, MARK MY WORDS! This album is pure and utter perfection, and I feel even I don't support these guys enough. I have had their first EP for a couple years now and this debut album blows it away. Their final track, The Dream, is a Half hour of pure Prog Heaven. The only reason this is not in my top 20 is because It feels way too biased to put this in my top 20, because it would be right at the top, where it belongs. If you want pure unadulterated Prog, and damn it, I won't be happy until they are the opening band for Dream Theater on their World Tour. They deserve it.

10/10

200.) Tremonti- All I Was

One of the best Hard Rock albums of the year. Besides Creed. Mark Tremonti can do no wrong. He plays guitar and lead vocals on this album, and he excels at both with precision. It's nearly criminal that not many people know about this album, and the fact the majority will not love this album like they do with Creed and Alter Bridge (this generation's best Hard Rock band) This is heavy as Hell, and also commercial enough to sell. This should be win win for both sides. Give it a fair shot, it is very damn badass!

9/10

200 albums down. Hot Damn! And I still have 16GBs of music to go, plus other albums I am getting sent to me. It. I'm pretty sure it is half over by now. and if there is demand for it. I will post my top 20 as well before January 1st, but that's on you guys if you want it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2012, 02:16:58 AM »
A quick comment: Bane is a band from my home country, and I'm quite surprised you got to them :) sadly I don't think the project will continue, or at least not in that shape, because the main "guy" is moving to Canada.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2012, 05:21:39 AM »
Thank you for giving Miss May I a tip of your hat, I saw those guys back a few months before their second album came out.  Whole band's filled with really nice guys, and they make damned good metalcore that most overlook because of their name and the label they're on.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2012, 07:28:06 AM »
I'll have to check out Loch Vostok. It sounds right up my alley.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2012, 08:06:43 AM »
Put Pyramid Theorem in your top twenty bro, and put the bias aside, they are that damn good.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »
Holy bold batman.

Sorry JR, I'm sure the list is fascinating, but I can't get through all that font screaming at me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »

Testament for me  :metal

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2012, 01:10:27 PM »

Testament for me  :metal
The only thing that keeps Testament from being the thrash album of the year is the lyrics.  They can be pretty bad at times.  That and the fact that Sylosis had a new album this year.  :metal
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:19:03 PM by Dark Castle »