Author Topic: JRundquist's 2012 Music Year In Review  (Read 13286 times)

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
Re: JRundquist's 2012 Music Year In Review
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
How can anyone listen to so many new albums in one year?

Having a radio show where you care about the quality of music you play (and not having a girlfriend) helps with that.   :hat
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
That is a killer job. Most radio shows like that have a hard time finding an audience. Hope it continues to go well for you.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2012, 11:47:40 PM »

Having a radio show where you care about the quality of music you play
Do you actually make some money doing this? If so, you have the best job in the world.  ;D

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2012, 01:05:35 AM »

Having a radio show where you care about the quality of music you play
Do you actually make some money doing this? If so, you have the best job in the world.  ;D

Starting next month, yes.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2012, 05:49:08 AM »
Good for you, man. Enjoy it and hopefully you'll keep us updated through 2013. :tup

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2012, 02:10:06 PM »
I am actually planning on starting this thread in January and doing it all year round. So it's not as much of a burden at the end of the year. Maybe leave the ratings system out till the end of the year when I pick my favorites or something.

I still have so many albums to go through. I'll probably start another 20 or so today sometime.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »
261.) Katatonia- Dead End Kings

Another album that was in my top 20 and definitely still deserves to be, but it did get knocked out for one other album. Over the last few albums Katatonia has really added a Tool inspired Dark Progressive Metal sound which unlike Tool, I love. While this isn't my favorite Katatonia album, this has some of their best songs and every song in general is completely solid and perfect in their own ways. It's a phenomenal album that should be appreciated. I see why it's already in so many people's top 20. It took one album to knock it out of mine.

9.5/10

262.) The Sword- Apocryphon

I am in awe of how many people don't like Warp Riders. I think that is their crow2ning achievement. Its one of the most solid Prog Rock albums I have heard in a long time. On Apocryphon, they are continuing on with similar themes to Warp Riders, but going all across the board musically. It is still the Sludgy, Sabbath style that got them notoriety, but they are venturing off to new lands and different styles as well. To me, it is a very damn good album that a lot of people are already forgetting about, I think the late release of the album has something to do with it sadly. But to those who hear it, they should love it. But I gotta say again, they may never top Warp Riders in my eyes.

9/10

263.) Storm Corrosion- Storm Corrosion

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt together again to make their first full length album together. You'd think this would be the greatest album of the year based on these two working together..........totally not the case. What I get from this album is that it is a lot like a Tim Burton Soundtrack to an atmospheric depressing album without Johnny Depp. In other words.....BORING! there are only two dynamics to this album, laid back, atmospheric acoustic depressing folk vibe.....and a quick 2 minutes drum solo (that's it for drums on the entire album) An EP or just a couple tracks of this style would have been perfect, but since it is a full length album, it goes on for way too long and goes absolutely nowhere. I knew going into this album it would be either a masterpiece or a bomb, and in my eyes, BOOOOOM. My biggest disappointment of the year. I still prefer it over other albums I have heard, but this made me sad in the wrong way.

3/10

264.) Wilton & Akerstache- Storm Corrosion (Of Love And Emotion)

Now THIS is the album I wish Storm Corrosion would have been. It is the cheesiest Prog Rock/80s Electronic album ever made. It is hilarious. The vocals are of Rick Astley style bad (so bad it's awesome) and the music behind it, once you get past the parody aspect, is actually damn good. Its very impressive musicianship (from one guy) and songwriting. And it has the exact same tracklisting as the album, Storm Corrosion. If you are not a Porcupine Tree or Opeth fan, you will not get this album at all or find it funny, but if you are. This is a hidden, FREE gem that you will love. STORM CORROSION OF LOVE AND EMOOOOOOTION, BAY-BAY-UH!!!

8/10

265.) A Life Once Lost- Ecstatic Trance

A Life Once Lost has always been one of the those bands that I never really got into despite the talent I do hear, and on this album it is still the case. It's not bad by any means, just not my bag. A Life Once Lost has always been one of the bands that never really got recognition either for their style of Groove Metalcore, but they are still hard at work and kicking ass everywhere. I do wish i could get into it more, and maybe in time I will, but for fans of Groove Metal and Metalcore, if you haven't heard it yet, check it out, it may be right up your alley.

5/10

266.) Hooded Menace- Effigies of Evil

Dark, evil, Doom Metal in the style of early day Paradise Lost. I know they have some good notoriety over in the UK, I wish that would come over to the states as well. This is a fantastic, well thought out, Doom Metal album. Unlike a lot of Doom Metal albums, there is a lot of tempo changes on this album and it helps make the album that much more fun to listen to. Its deep and heavy and above all else, very underrated. check this out for one of the best damn Doom Metal albums of the year!

9/10

267.) OSI- Fire Make Thunder

OSI lost my interest on their last album, Blood, but because I love Kevin Moore for everything he has done with Dream theater on the 3 albums he was a part of, I will always give his work a chance. This album is like the newest All That Remains album.....Better? Even with the fantastic line up on this album, it does nothing for me. When you got past and present members of Fates Warning, Dream theater and Porcupine tree on an album you expect it to kick ass. And for many people it does. To me, it does nothing. It's better than Blood, but not by much.

5/10

268.) To-Mera- Exile

If Evergrey was a Female Fronted band, they would be To-Mera. These guys are a killer band that I wish more people would check out. Exile is a great starting point. It captures pretty much everything there is to know about the band in one album. Its Dark, heavy and proggy, with fantastic vocals. Check them out if you were at anytime an Evergrey fan, you will not be disappointed (No operatic female vocals, which is another huge plus).

8/10

269.) Pelican- Ataraxia/Taraxis

This short, but sweet EP from the Instrumental Post Metal band showcases the shorter side to Pelican's sound they have developed over the years. It's more to the point and even heavier than before. 4 songs and 5 seconds shy of 18 minutes long. This is a great intro to get into this abnd if you have not already. they are one of the finest Post Metal bands going.

8/10

270.) Black Country Communion- Afterglow

Like all supergroups, BCC is all but over at this point, which sucks. This is probably my favorite of the 3 BCC albums. It is such killer Classic Rock done with a modern edge. Maybe there is a way for this band to keep going strong but it is not looking good at this point. Check this out if you want to hear some of the finest Hard Rock and Classic Rock you'll hear from the 2000s (and of course their first two albums as well).

9/10

I would normally be doing 20 albums. But I'm starting to feel sick as a dog, so I'm going to take a nap and hopefully feel better tonight.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
The OSI album is awesome. Storm Corrosion was a massive disappointment though.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2012, 02:34:56 PM »
OSI's album this year was an absolute bore. It did absolutely nothing to differentiate itself from the previous three, and didn't even have a memorable track on it to boot.

Very curious about the new To-Mera album, though. I got into them with Delusions, but while the album was cool at first it didn't really hold up after a few days.

Is that Wilton and Akerstache thing... real?  :|
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »
Depends on your musical tastes. I'm a big fan of quiet, ambient, atmospheric music and I love Storm Corrosion to pieces.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »
Alright, I'm listening to the parody album on YT now... this might be the most hilarious thing ever. It's actually... really good for cheesy as hell rock.  :rollin
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
I'm checking out that Wilton & Akerstache album now, already love it just from the opening.

Got to throw my two cents in for Storm Corrosion too, just wasn't a fan of it. Too ambient, never really seemed to go anywhere and just not my thing. I can get why people would like it but just not my cup of tea.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »
Depends on your musical tastes. I'm a big fan of quiet, ambient, atmospheric music and I love Storm Corrosion to pieces.
Same here.

And I had no idea that the Wilton & Akerstache album was an actual album! I heard the name and thought it was just a joke but I had no clue that someone actually recorded it.  :lol

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »
Also, I love that To-Mera album. I bought it blindly without hearing anything about them and I really liked it. I later found out that members of Haken are also in the band so that may explain why it was so good.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »
271.) Whoretopsy- They Did Unspeakable Things

Yes this band sounds a lot like the similar named Cryptopsy, although nowhere near as technical. Lyrically, there is almost no difference as you can tell by the song titles, just more comedic.It's a very solid Death Metal album with Chris Barnes style vocals. that kinda kills it for me, but the music makes up for, which is something Six Feet Under could never do.These guys are young so it will take a while for them to develop their sound more, but this is a great album to start off with.

7/10

272.) Angel Witch- As Above, So Below

Another album I am shocked no one is talking about considering they were one of the founders of the NWOBHM. This is such a great Heavy Metal album. As it should be it sounds just like it came out of the late 70s/early 80s. I hope there are some kids out there who were looking up music stumbled upon this album and will enjoy it because the founders of the NWOBHM don't seem to get noticed anymore which is a damn shame, considering they are writing music of this caliber. put on your studded vest, slam some beer, and enjoy Angel Witch!

8/10

273.) Reflections- The Fantasy Effect

There is no way around it. This is the textbook definition of a Djent Metal band. These guys are from the twin Cities and are about to be picked up to Sumerian Records. the drummer is actually 17, which blows my mind. I could go into a Djent rant, but I will save that for a Facebook post or something. These guys are a great band who are young and developing into their own sound. I love what they are doing and they will only get bigger and better. Maybe you'll dig them too.

7/10

274.) Old Man Gloom- NO

Now this is what I expect from the breakup of Isis. Yes the band has been around for well over a decade, but they are just now starting to get noticed after the breakup of Isis. it also helps it's their first album in 8 years. The album is even more heavy and experimental than Isis, which when you hear it, is a good thing. Aaron Turner seems to have a few new pots cooking band wise and this is the best of them all currently going. As I keep eluding to Isis fans should love this album to death, I know I do.

9/10

275.) Soundgarden- King Animal

They've been away for too long (haha, get it?). This album is definitely killer. the songwriting is topnotch, which is tradition in Canada...I mean Soundgarden. I do have one beef with the album...the track order. Every song is awesome, but it really starts to mellow out about half way through the album and it gets very slow all the action packed songs are in the first half. If they had switched up the order, the album would have been unstoppable, it still is, but its a big factor to me. Regardless, Soundgarden is back and kicking just as much ass as ever. get this now!

9/10

276.) Mnemic- Mnemisis

Although I haven't been much of a fan since the Audio Injected Soul (actually the only album from Mnemic I love all the way through) I will always give them a chance because they helped me get into Modern Industrial, and Proto-Djent Metal. I hate saying this but they sound so very watered down now a days. This album in particular sounds like they knew The Audio Injected Soul was their best album and they tried to remake it. The problem is that they lost several of their key members that make that sound come alive, so it doesn't come off anywhere near as good. I can't say it's disappointing as I wasn't expecting much, but it would have been refreshing to enjoy a Mnemic album again. Oh well.

3/10

277.) Blut Aus Nord- 777- Cosmosophy

Where has this been been all my life. I didn't even know about them until I got the promo for this album and I instantly feel in love. Its experimental Black Metal, but not in the way you would imagine. it's very 80s Electronic sounding at times and the lack of Screams also helps in this regard (although there is some, just not a lot). Almost as if The Cure made a Black Metal album. Its not an album that can be enjoyed all the time but when the mood is right, nothing is better. I love this band, check them out!

9/10

278.) Veil Of Maya- Eclipse

On their previous albums, I could not get into Veil Of Maya. After seeing them live and getting this album. I still have my reserves, but they are getting better. Another band that fits well in the Djent category. It still has some of their Deathcore sound they are known for, which I do not dig much. But this is pretty cool stuff for what it is. Not much of a fan, but they are getting better.

6/10

279.) Cloudscape- New Era

If Nevermore started playing in the style of Dream Theater and Pagan's Mind. I am pleasently surprised by this album. For me its hard to find Progressive Power Metal that I can really, really dig, and so far, Cloudscape.Its quite dynamic. When its heavy it is damn heavy, when its epic, it gets damn epic I highly recommend this for the Progressive Power Metal fans, you aren't going to find anything this good int he genre until the next Pagan's Mind album.

9/10.

280.) A Sound Of Thunder- Out Of The Darkness

There is not much sexier than a female singer who can wail like Bruce Dickinson. In my own sick twisted mind, Halestorm should have went in this direction so they could have had some respect left. At least A Sound Of Thunder does it and does it well. Awesome Heavy Metal and early day Power Metal rolled into one. And again, no operatic vocals like Nightwish, which scores automatic win points for me. by the time of their next album, I hope they can make it onto more tours and get some recognition, they deserve it.

8/10

280 albums down and still 6.81 GBs of music to go, without including my Top 20. And to think, if I had a girlfriend I wouldn't have even heard 28 albums this year. haha

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2012, 02:47:30 AM »
281.) A Hero, A Fake- The Future Again

Progressive Metalcore. I just heard of these guys this year and I gotta say this is pretty fantastic stuff. Its too Metalcore to be Prog, its too Prog to be Metalcore. Its a great combination of both. This album isn't for everyone as both Metalcore fans and Prog fans will see something not to like about this, but being a fan of both, this is right up my alley and it kicks ass. Definitely underrated and worth the listen.

9/10

282.) The Casualties- Resistance

Like NOFX earlier in this thread, The Casualties do their brand of Punk Rock and do it well. Its very hardcore as well, especially in the vocals. It like most Punk Rock is not the most original, but it fits the mood and its fast and fun to listen to, and sometimes that's all you need to have. Punk fans, if you don't have this yet, you are missing out.

8/10

283.) Horn Of The Rhino- Grengus

Stoner Metal, Doom Metal and Soundgarden style Hard Rock. Stoner Grunge Metal? I guess that's a good way to call it. Horn Of The Rhino is a very damn heavy band that pulls no punches, they play what they wanna play, and they do it well. This is a fun record that has a lot of dynamics and tempo changes that are missing this style of music. I think I've seen 3 people talk about this album which is just sad because it is so damn good. Check it out for yourself and enjoy!

8/10

284.) Panzerballet- Tank Goodness

This is one heavily messed up album. It is Progressive Metal for sure, Djenty at times but its as if Frank Zappa discovered Djent and made an album in that style. There is also a messed up cover of the theme from Dirty Dancing on this album, it's so out there, it's awesome. Mattias from Freak Kitchen also guest vocals on a song and plays a badass solo. It's not your typical Prog album, this Zappa inspired Prog Metal.

9/10

285.) Emmanuel And The Fear- The Janus Mirror

One of my favorite non-metal discoveries of the year. Emmanuel And The Fear are back and they made an epic album to say the least. it covers the whole gambit of Music from pop to classical to Orchestral to Folk to Post... its just a fantastic album. While I do like the first album more than anything else, this album is awesome as well and just as good. I highly recommend these guys for when you are in a non-metal mood. You'll be glad you did.

9/10

286.) Marduk- Serpent Sermon

One of the first real Black metal bands I got into besides Emperor and Dimmu Borgir. I will always have a soft spot for Marduk. They have two speeds, mid tempo and fast as hell. They don't need anything else. This album is just as blasphemous as the rest of their discography. its just simply good evil Black Metal. It really fits the mood for when you need a little evil in you.

8/10

287.) Hypomanie- Calm Down, You Weren't Set On Fire

Instrumental Blackgaze. there's no better way i can put it. Black Metal, Shoegaze and Post Rock all done instrumentally. I think this album could be a good gateway for Post Rock fans to get into Black Metal and vice versa. This is done very dynamically and with a lot of great songwriting. Instrumental fans should love this album upon listening to it, or at least I hope they would. Simply put its a great mood album that you may enjoy if this entices you.

8/10

288) Abraham- The Serpent, The Prophet, The Whore

Do you wish the Ocean stayed as a Sludge Metal band? They would be Abraham. This is the closest thing I have heard to anyone sounding like The Ocean. Very Dynamic Sludge Metal that captures your interest no matter what style of music you are into. I am surprised to not see many people talk about these guys as they are fantastic. Maybe within the next year and possible touring they can get the fan base they deserve. One can only hope so, until then check this out and love it.

9/10

289.) Daniel Jakubovic- Surrounded By A Million Goats

Last year's album Elef Kirot, is one of my favorite albums of all time. It is the perfect blend of Pop Rock and Prog Metal. Surrounded By A Million Goats is a lot more subdued of an album. It is quite good but it takes a few listens to really appreciate it. Not to say there isn't some rockin' songs on it, but it's not like Elef Kirot. It seems as though all the heavy from that album went onto the new album from Daniel's other band Against the Wall (which will be coming up eventually). Its like how Aaron Lew is keeping all the heavy music for Staind now and the light stuff is for his solo work. not a bad idea when done right, and like everything Mr. Jakubovic does, he nailed it out of the park. Great job sir, great job!

8/10

290.) Ensiferum- Unsung Heroes

There is Viking Metal like Amon Amarth, there is Viking Metal like Enslaved. And then there is Ensiferum. They are one of the bands that you either see the absolute epicness of their style, or you hate it. Just like Wintersun in many ways. I for one love them and are quite happy they are headlining Paganfest this year. They've earned it. The new album is bloody awesome, literally, lots of blood spilled lyrically on this one. Its the right amount of folky, with lots of Viking Power. If you haven't heard these guys before, start with this album and check out the rest, if you aren't into this, you're missing out on some very badass metal.

9/10

291.) Winterfylleth- The Threnody Of Triumph

One of the best Black Metal, Atmospheric Metal bands you will ever hear in your life. This is the crowning achievement of this style of music and it will be amazingly hard to beat. Like I have eluded to many times, this barely missed my Top 20 list because of late entries. But DAMN this is phenomenal. Rather then just go on and on about how good this is, you should check it out for yourself. If you like Alcest, Deafheaven or other Atmospheric Black Metal bands, this will be your new favorite (unless you like the Post Rock side more).

9.5/10

292.) Ahab- The Giant

As the name of the band and the album title eludes to, this is big epic Doom Metal about the leviathan, Moby Dick. Maybe not entirely lyrically but all you gotta do is look at the names, haha. This is slow and crushing Doom Metal that takes you on an epic voyage. this is definitely only for Doom fans and those who may be intrigued to check out doom Metal, if you hate Doom Metal you'll hate this, if you like it, you'll love this.

8/10

293.) Jute Gyte- Isolation

This is an oddball album for me. It's a black Metal album, without question but it's played like a Hard Rock album. Like if you took a few random hard Rock artists and asked them to put together a Black Metal album. It's quite brilliant. The songs are longer, the longest being 11 minutes, but it feels catchy and very enjoyable. One of those odd albums you wouldn't expect unless you heard it. Take a chance and check this out. I'm glad I did.

8/10

294.) Oedipus- Viscous Little Smile

This again is a very experimental Hard Rock album. Like a few other albums mentioned in this thread, they are taking Hard Rock ideas and taking them to unexplored territory. Punk Rock, Hardcore, Prog Rock, Prog Rock, Pop Rock all formed into one sound that is rarely if ever heard. It takes a couple listens to grasp onto everything going on on this album, but it's worth it if you give it the chance. its a very refreshing album that more bands in hard Rock should be striving for.

9/10

295.) Disrhythmia- Test Of Submission

When they aren't doing Vaura, Dysrhythmia is hard at work making Instrumental Progressive Metal, and they created another damn fine album this time around. I love these guys but I haven't been too much into them just basically due to lack of time (think about it, this is my 295th album of 2012 music I have reviewed, without including the rest, my top 20, and non 2012 music I discovered) but with every album I have heard they write fantastic music that proves you can create great Metal without vocals. At times it gets a little one sided but that is to be expected unless you strive to be as diverse as possible. But an album at a time, they hit it out of the park.

8/10

296.) Undersmile- Narwhal

Like Ahab before them in this thread, Undersmile writes some crushing Sludgy, Doomy Drone Metal. If Sun O))) added a drummer and played somewhat faster, they would be Undersmile. this is a heavy and crushing album that will put your speakers through a workout. I love this to death and is one of the best Doom Metal albums of the year. A bit much to hear all at once, but worth it.

9/10

297.) Daylight Dies- Frail Becoming

The American Opeth are back at it again and damn did they write a masterpiece. A lot more diverse this time around, Frail becoming takes their dark evil Progressive Death Metal and expands upon it like never before. If you miss what Opeth used to be in Progressive Death Metal (I love their Prog Rock style now, but I miss the old stuff as well) there is Daylight Dies to help ease the pain. Dismantling Devotion is still my favorite Daylight Dies album, but is BY FAR my other favorite album from the band. So hauntingly beautiful. Please check these guys out,t hey should be on headlining tours by now, Lets get them there!

9.5/10

298.) Words Of Farewell- Immersion

Pretty damn cool Progressive Melodic Death Metal. I didn't know about these guys till I got the promo but I am very impressed. I guess a good way to describe them after repeated listens is Wintersun meets Insomnium with some Opeth thrown in for good measure. I really hope these guys make it big with this or their next album, because this is so very damn impressive and deserves some touring exposure. If you dig Melodic Death Metal and some Prog, check these guys out, it's very much worth it.

9/10

299.) Legacy Of Disorder- Last Man Standing

I loved these guys when I got this album, I loved them even more when I saw them live, and became some of my favorite people to hang out with when I drank with them during Devildriver's set during their tour with GWAR. Legacy of Disorder, in my humble opinion takes the best parts of Testament and Lamb Of God, and makes it their own brand of New Zealand Thrash Metal. These guys are only going to be getting bigger and better. and should be on some pretty big tours next year. Be sure to check them out, they are awesome!

8/10

300.) Low-Pass- Trimurti

If Hella had Melody and Harmony. this is Math Rock for the Post Rock crowd. It's nowhere near as crazy as Hella but there are still those elements in there, somewhat like Don Caballero used to be. While this is another album I haven't got to sit down with much,e very time I've heard it, I loved it and definitely fit the mood every time. For some accessible Math Rock, check this out.

8/10

DAAAAAAMN! 300 albums. And I am still in for another 4GBs of music, my top 20 and other albums that I may or may not add. It's sad to see this thread almost come to the end. But I am also relived I can sit back and relax eventually sometime soon.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
So much to check out.

A little late to mention, but I got into morglbl this year (guess there's another band for my inclusion in the new musical discoveries thread). They're kinda like a more experimental version of OHM (at least based on the album I checked out) but with less 'wah'.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »
301.) Sylosis- Monolith

It's a sad state in today's world when you ask the average kid about British Metal, they start talking about Bullet For My Valentine. Screw that! I'm hoping with the tour that they just did with Lamb Of God and In Flames that Sylosis will be getting some much needed recognition. I've been a fan of these guys for a few years and they deserve all the attention they can get. This is great Technical Thrash Metal. Lots of melody and harmonies amongst the Thrashin'. You should check this out if you haven't already, its too good to ignore.

8/10

302.) Moonspell- Alpha Noir

Unlike the other album reviewed earlier, this album is a lot more of the traditional Moonspell sound. Melodic Death metal, but also with Alpha Noir, it also has some thrash elements as well, although they are not the main focus of the album. For the average Moonspell fan, this is the Moonspell album to have. Omega White is awesome as well, but it is very different from what they are known for. Check this out and enjoy!

8/10

303.) Dragged Into Sunlight- Widowmaker

This is THE Doom Metal album of the year. Separated into 3 parts, and all one song, Widowmaker (a nearly 40 minute epic) goes through 3 major changes, the instrumental drone, the heavy as hell middle and the epic ending. Dragged Into Sunlight is a Doom metal band that will never let you down, unless you read the lyrics, they will bring you down into depression, but that's what you get with Doom Metal. If you can give a nearly 40 minute Doom album a chance, please check this out. It's one of the best Doom Metal albums you'll ever hear.

9.5/10

304.) Dublin Death patrol- Death Sentence

Ah yes, Chuck Billy of Testament and Steve Zetro of Exodus are back together again for their second album together under the DDP name. This is a different album then you would expect. It's definitely a thrash album, but it's different. It's a lot lighter then both bands. All the songs are rockers for sure, but it almost feels like a mid 80's Thrash album, which is a great throwback to the style. It's a very fun album to listen to. It won't get much praise, but it's worth the listen.

7/10

305.) Demon Hunter- True Defiance

I love Demon Hunter. I couldn't care less if they are a Christian Metal band or not, they write great Metal music. As with every single one of their releases, this has gotten even heavier and overall better songwriting and musicianship. The music doesn't sound preachy to me, no more than any Behemoth album trying to make you go against God. It's about the music to me. And they did it right again. A fantastic album and a band I wish would be a As I Lay Dying status.

8/10

306.) Semargl- Satanic Pop Metal

The description is in the album title. That's exactly what it is. Pop Metal Electronica over Black Metal and Death Metal vocals with the occasional female vocals. Like all pop music since the 80s this is a very one sided, gimmicky album. I don't hate it, I don't love it. but when i hear it, I can withstand it for a while. You find a catchier Pop Metal album....I'm not saying that makes it good, but there is nothing catchier. So yeah, if you dare, check it out

5/10

307.) Dimension Act- Manifestation Of Progress

Dream Theater, Pagan's Mind, Symphony X, and Evergrey all in the same band. This is a Quadruple Dip cream dream for me. This I hope will make it onto some people's lists once they actually get the chance to hear them. These guys are doing everything right in the Prog World, with no cheese or Pretentiousness (unless you feel longer songs are pretentious, then you are just dumb). Please, Please, Please check these guys out this is one of the best albums of the year and by the time of their second album, they better be opening for Dream Theater as main support on their world tour!

9.5/10

308.) Tetrafusion- Horizons

I am still not used to these guys having vocals, haha. It's fantastic Progressive Metal. In a way if Scale The Summit had vocals, this it what it would sound like. Funny enough, Mark Mitchell is now the bassist of Scale The Summit. While a short EP, it is very damn good and should be right up your alley in the Prog Rock/Prog Metal world. No screams or growls, all clean vocals. Its a very appropriate Prog EP to make, and it's awesome.

7/10

309.) Against The Wall- Things Are Not Like They Said

Against The Wall on their previous albums have been more Pop Rock with some Metal influences. On this album it is the English version of Daniel Jakubovic's Elef Kirot. While not the same songs, he is carrying out what he did on that album, the perfect blend of Pop Rock and Prog Metal, but with English vocals. There is absolutely no reason why this should not be on Mainstream FM radio, other than the fact hat Mainstream FM radio sucks. this is such an incredible album that will go past a lot of people, and it's a damn shame. If you can appreciate some of the catchiest Prog Metal, or very damn Proggy Pop rock, check out the new album from Against The wall, then get the rest of their albums and EPs, and Daniel Jakubovic's solo albums.

9.5/10

310.) Lehto & Wright- November

The best damn Folky Progressive Rock band that you do not know about yet, unless you live in the Twin Cities. it's criminal that Progressive Rock fans do not know about these guys. They are phenomenal and they write some very emotional, heart felt, and catchy songs that should be up every Prog fan's alley. November is actually on the lighter side this time around, but just as good as every album they have out. It's an album to have in the background and play while watching the fireplace on a winter's night. Wouldn't you know it, epsecially where I live, that is very appropriate. Only one album beats this for y favorite Non-Metal album of the year and you will read about it in my top 20 thread, till then, enjoy this masterpiece!

9.5/10

311.) Jeff Loomis- Plains Of Oblivion

I've heard this album so much that I forgot that it came out this year, haha. Jeff Loomis decided to add vocals to about half of this album, and honestly, it was a great decision to make. It is chalk filled with guest appearances from the likes of Ihsahn, Marty Friedman, Tony MacAlpine, etc. It carries on the same way that Loomis was going on his first solo album and totally expands on it. It's a guitar virtuoso album without question, very proggy and shredy. If you have ever been a Jeff Loomis fan, this is for you.

8/10

312.) A Forest Of Stars- A Shadow Play for Yesterdays

Atmospheric Black Metal, once again. While musically it is great, I really can't take the vocals, which is odd for me considering who I am. The music does stand out over the vocals, but they are noticeable. And they do focus more on the Black Metal side them the Atmospheric side. If you dig this, you will like this a lot. For me. it's on par.

5/10

313.) The Royal Veil- The Royal Veil

A fantastic Progressive Rock band from the Twin Cities that also incorporates a lot of Alternative Rock as well. While still a very young band, I think if they can get some build up behind the band they will be getting a lot of attention by the time of their next release. The first 3 tracks while still very proggy are pretty laid back in comparison to the 12 minute final track while, like the name suggests, takes you on the Trip, like the Mars Volta covering Dream theater while Soundgarden helps with songwriting. This is a killer EP that I hope because of this will get them noticed. If anything above suggests you might be interested, I advise checking this out asap!

8/10

314.) Chrome Waves- Chrome Waves

Another fantastic example of Post Metal meets Black Metal. his album is nowhere near as moody as a lot of albums in the genre, it rocks really damn hard! of course there are a couple interlude pieces but the real songs are in your face and Metal. Combining the best of both worlds in Post Metal and Black Metal. Fans of either genre should love this album whole hearted. I know I do. Give these guysa chance!

8/10

315.) Fang Island- Major

One of the most poppiest, and let's face it. Indie albums I have heard all year. I wasn't sure what to expect when I heard these guys. But I actually dig them a lot. it sounds like something NPR should be going gaga over. It's catchy, its fun, its a great overall Indie Rock album. It's not normally my bag, but sometimes an album comes my way from a genre I don't pay attention to and it grabs me, this is one of those times. You just might as well.

7/10

316.) Blinded In Bliss- Constancy

A side Project of Mutiny Within, Threat Signal, and Soilwork. THis band is very damn cool. every single day they give away a free CD copy of their album. But I actually bought this album on my own after hearing a couple songs on youtube. While it may not stand out to some people. This is an excellent album filled with Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal and Prog Metal all rolled into this album. If Mutiny Within sounded like Soilwork essentially. That is in no way a bad thing. besides their own promotion, and me playing them on my show, I don't see anything about these guys which is sad. It robably is because this will most likely just be a studio project with no touring behind it, hopefully I am wrong about that. Till new info is updated. pick this one up!

8/10

317.) Wintersun- Time I

Everyone I know of who is a Metal fan has been waiting for Wintersun to release their new album. This year we kinda got blue balled. We got HALF of the new album released as an EP called Time I. Time II will be released in Spring 2013. While there is only 3 real tracks on this album, to me, it was worth the wait. It's even more Majestic than the debut album and I didn't even think that was possible. Some people are criticizing the album for all the symphonics and almost, as a lot of people have it it, Mulan sounding moments. I guess I don't hear it, or if I do, I don't care because it rocks. Wintersun made this genre proud and they will keep on making great music....I hope. I'm looking forward to Time II, but bands gotta stop blue balling us by separating albums into 2 parts. There is nothing wrong with Double Disc albums!

9/10

318.) Christian Alvestram- Self 2.0

People know Christian as the frontman of Scar Symmetry, less know him for Solution .45, and even less know him for his other projects. But who knew he could be a pop star? This EP is the combination of Pop music and Prog Rock that has yet to be tried these days. When I first heard this I didn't know what to expect, when I heard this my jaw dropped to the ground. but then I started to appreciate it for what it is, a fantastically written EP of Pop music. Another artist who should be on the pop charts, but there not enough about drinking and sex in these songs for that to happen. That and these songs are acutally well written, so it will never make the Top 40 charts in the states. But if you wanna hear how pop music should sound, and have it not suck. Alvestram is the man to make it happen.

8/10

319.) Mass Culture- Amoralism

Experimental Sludge Metal. Its an odd combination that works very damn well. the songs are long but it doesn't feel that way. there is a lot of experimentation going on with tempos and dynamics that make the songs fly right by. And this is just an EP at 35 minutes long, but it's worth the journey You won't hear Sludge Metal in the same light again, and trust me, that's a good thing!

8/10

320.) Toundra- III

Yes this is the 3rd album from the band, as you may have guessed by the name. This is Instrumental Post Rock, kinda similar to Long Distance Calling. It has the Progressive Post Metal vibe of LDC but done in their own brand of Post Rock.I will keep promoting Long Distance Calling till the day I die, and any band that has the same kind of vibe is all good in my book. You may dig these guys as well. check them out!

8/10

19 or so albums to go before my Top 20. Anyone excited about it?........Anyone

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »
I'm looking forward to it!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2012, 05:33:56 AM »
I totally forgot about Christians EP, gonna source that ASAP.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2012, 06:18:44 AM »
I bought Daylight Dies today because I remembered hearing Axl from Metalsucks gushing about them.  Pretty good stuff, and it does fill the hole that Mikael tore out. Little hesitant to show them to a few friends looking for Opeth fixes though because I can already see the instant "This isn't even the same league as Opeth" bullshit.

Winterfylleth is fucking amazing, I'll have to settle for Spotify for now, but I will own that record, that was beautiful stuff.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:25:26 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2012, 08:00:30 AM »
Wintersun is funny. I've been waiting for it so long that I almost don't give a shit that it's finally out. I'll probably give it a spin when the second half comes out so I can listen to it the right way.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Jiangsu

« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
I'm definitely excited to see your top 20.  Some of my top 10 have already been mentioned, so I'm keen to see who made it in their place...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »
Just checked out Dimension Act, holy crap dude, good stuff there!!!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2012, 02:32:57 PM »
Really excited for your top 20!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »
Oh, I thought I'd add, ya'll should check out Old Man Gloom.  Depressive, heavy fucking stuff, the 9.5/10 JR gave it is exactly what I would give it.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2012, 01:59:06 AM »
14 albums to go till my Top 20

321.) Ancestors- In Dreams And Time

Labeled in my iTunes when I loaded this, it comes up as Psychedelic Metal. And that is not a far stretch. I hear a lot of Atmospheric and Post Metal moments as well. But if Metal was relevant in the 60s, this would have definitely fit.A short way to think of this is to have Baroness style vocals over 70s Prog Rock, Post Metal, and Sludge. It is so very strange, but so very damn good once you get into it. This is a sleeper hit for me and it deserves all the attention it can get. If you wanna talk about a diverse Metal album, this is it!

9.5/10

322.) Godspeed You! Black Emperor- 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

This is an album that no one in the music world expected to hear, and new GY!BE album. In fact they didn't even mention anything about a new album until just a few days before it was released. the album is composed of two reworked tracks of songs that were played from all the way back in 2003, and 2 new composed drone tracks. Unless you are intro Drone music, those are hard to get through. For me, Drone is something that can only be background noise, i can't sit there and enjoy 3 notes being played over 20 minutes with it going no where. But the other two tracks are definitely strange to hear reworked. as a live bootleg fan, i have heard the live versions of both songs and only knew them that way until these were released, and i gotta say I enjoy these more. Godspeed are the masters of Post rock and Roller coaster style dynamics and this album proves it once again. No one knows for sure if any new real music will be made in the future. But now that they are indeed back together for the long haul, we can only hope! That said, sans the drone tracks, this is phenomenal!

7/10

323.) Neurosis- Honor Found in Decay

Neurosis is a band that you love with all your heart, or you don't understand their appeal. i am the former, I love these guys to death and I was beyond excited to hear that a new Neurosis album was coming out. To me this is the perfect intro into Neurosis if you have never heard of them before. Post Metal and Sludge Metal in all its form. It's slower, no Doom slow, but it is slower paced. But it fits all the right moods when you hear it. it is one hell of a trip as well. Like Post music in general is slow brooding with dynamics at the right spots. You gotta be into that to enjoy this, but if you can it is so very worth it. check out the latest masterpiece from Neurosis.

9/10

324.) Wanzwa- Wanzwa II

This is another great example of a very strange album. This is Instrumental Progressive Jazz Metal. Primus meets Liquid Tension Experiment meets The Mars Volta, but again, all Instrumental. Like the album title suggests, this is the second album, and I have yet to hear the debut, but I love what I hear. If you translated this to traditional Jazz instrumentals, you would have one hell of a Jazz album, but this is translated into metal form, and it is awesome. Unlike what you maybe would expect, none of the songs sound the same, which is quite refreshing. It's quite a trip, so you gotta be ready for it, and Instrumental fans should love this within the first listen. I hope you enjoy it as well.

8/10

325.) Gojira- L'Enfant Sauvage

One thing has become very clear with Gojira over the years. they are getting slower and groovier. And this album is no exception. Not many blast beats to be found here or fast tempos. Of course there are faster songs on the album and blasts, but they are in the backseat and letting the groove take over. To me I think that is a great thing if you can match it up with emotion and dynamics behind it in this style of Metal, and Gojira nails it right on the head every single time. You will get those who complain this album isn't brutal enough, these are also kids who love Asking Alexandria and Oceano, so how seriously can you take their opinions? haha My feelings behind it (if you made it this far into my thread, you must be at least somewhat interested) is that it is a natural progression for the band, they are all masterfully skilled songwriters and musicians and they are writing killer songs. This is a great example of what happens when you know how to make dynamics, sure when you listen to only a song or two, you won't get it. Hear the whole thing, you'll feel the roller coaster and want more!

9/10

326.) Candlemass- Psalms Of the Dead

This is the most depressing album of the year. No not because of the classic Doom Metal and Heavy Metal they make *which is usually depressing but awesome as all hell* but because this is the LAST Candlemass album. They are not breaking up, but they are done making new music. Now that is depressing. But that said they left on the highest note they possibly could have. This album is pure Epic Doom Metal Perfection! This album rocks way too hard to be a traditional Doom Metal album, that's why it's not. I've said it before and I will forever say it, Candlemass is what they would sound like if Iron Maiden made Doom Metal. Prove me wrong if you must. From beginning to end this is a quintessential Candlemass album, and a must have if you want to get into the band. Enjoy these guys, this is the last new music you will hear from them.

9/10

327.) Hour Of Penance- Sedation

the last pure Death Metal album in this thread. Yes I am fully aware of how many great Death Metal albums have come out this year. but 227 albums later, I gotta take a break somewhere. Hour Of Penance is one badass Death Metal band, that are right up there with Fleshgod Apocalypse on the amount of brutality you can make while still having Musicality. It's way too brutal to be Melodic Death metal, but there are enough Melodies and Harmonies on this album amongst the chaos to make this even possibly enjoyable to non-Death Metal fans. That said it is a little one sided, as is tradition in Death metal, but its chaos you gotta love if you are a fan of the genre. Hour Of Penance is only really starting to get noticed this year, and I hope it only gets bigger and bigger from here. They've earned it.

8/10

328.) Anglagard- Viljars Oga

This is a far out Progressive Rock album. It is pure 70's Prog Rock. It's layered in King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, Frank Zappa, and Jethro Tull. Unless you love Prog to death or appreciate this kind of musicianship, this is an album you feel find pretentious and boring. If you are a real Prog fan and can musicianship, This is some of the most mind-blowing music to come out of the genre in so very, very long. Nearly an hour long and only 4 tracks. It's a Prog fans wet dream. Its over the top, but perfection!

9.5/10

329.) In Mourning- The Weight Of Oceans

If Alice In Chains made very Melodic Progressive Death Metal. That IS what this is. Just listen to Celestial Tear and try to tell me otherwise, and that's only one example. this is an emotionally crushing album, while it does have futuristic, outer space theme to it, just listen to the vocals. Layne Staley easily could have written the vocals. Its brilliantly written and it is so very hard to find this much beauty behind progressive Death Metal. Opeth proved it can be done, but from this side, Insomnium is the closest thing, and I don't consider them Prog. Please give this a listen, You'll feel in your heart how amazing this is.

9.5/10

330.) Agalloch- Faustian Echoes

This 21 minute EP/Song has two sections to it. The Black Metal style they have made their own, and the dark, Evil Post Rock vibe as well. It starts with the Black Metal that is so heavily heard in Marrow of The Spirit, then guides you back to where they started off in their career. It's almost as if they made a retrospective of their career in one song, all while staying fresh. It's an epic piece that will take you all over and not let go until it's over. This would have been in my top 20, but as you may remember from the past, I am very anal when it comes to this list every year. I have a Top 20 ALBUMS of the year, not EPs, Compilations, Live, etc. That said this is one of my favorite songs of the year. If you are indeed a fan of Blackened Folk Post Metal, Agalloch has to be one of your favorite bands. They blew me away when Marrow Of The Spirit came out and have been hooked ever since. Until they stop making music, they will do this to me with every release. GET THIS!

9.5/10

331.) Chimp Spanner- All Roads Lead Here.

Another short EP (just under 25 minutes) This feels like one giant song as well, in fact 3 of the songs are tied together as one. This is without question Instrumental Djent Metal. I need to stress this again. I hate using the term Djent, it sucks. But it is so widely known, and I know I alone can't get rid of the word since it has been out there so long, so you gotta learn to adapt. I digress. Chimp Spanner is way more Prog then Djent bands are, even with the chugs int eh sound. the songs are incredible, although a little one sided at times. And I'd love to see this band one day. It's incredible stuff. You just might dig it too.

8/10

332.) In The Silence- A Fair Dream Gone Mad

I discovered these guys out of nowhere this year and I love it so much. If Katatonia played Progressive Metal that didn't sound like Tool. Admit it, I love Katatonia so much, they are one of my favorite bands, but they sound a lot like Tool these days. This carries on in the way Katatonia started with all clean vocals over very damn heavy moments, but instead make it Prog Metal. It's dark and sad at time, but so hauntingly beautiful. Another band I hear no one talk about that should be talked about all over. Maybe by the time of their next album they will start to get noticed, one can only hope. But this is a fantastic album and if you check it out, I hope you enjoy it as well.

9/10

333.) Corrosion Of Conformity- Megalodon

You don't think i was going to leave out this FREE FREE FREEEEEEE EP did you? COC not only made a killer comeback Hardcore album this year, they made a 5 track EP for all of us to enjoy for free. This album as a whole sounds like Pepper is back in the band, but he is not. It's got the groovin stoner metalish sound that COC was known for with Pepper Keenan Of course there are some very high paced fun Hardcore songs as well. This is one of the most fun EPs of the year. COC is a killer band!

9/10

334.) Drudkh- Eternal Turn of The Wheel

What a way to end this whole index of 2012 music then with the ethereal Black Metal from Drudkh. Like Atmospheric Black Metal, they cover the ground of making Dark, emotional Black Metal with that Atmospheric touch that tugs at your emotions. Some people have knocked this album. I happen to love every single song. In a way it's a kind of return to their original sound all while keeping what they have done recently. It's too good to pass up if you are any kind of Black Metal fan. Get it and love it!

9/10

So there you have it folks, there goes 334 albums that all have their charm, or crap to it, but did not make my Top 20 of the year. This is by far the most albums I have ever heard in my life in one year. Next year I do plan on doing this at the beginning of the year once I get enough albums to start with and take it from there. so I'm not reviewing what will be 354 albums in a month and a half. But I wanna thank all of you guys for checking out my Thread so far. and hopefully, just hopefully, you will dig my top 20.

That said. Should I start that now, or wait till my radio show on the 1st? I have no qualms about it either way. I wanna leave it up to you guys.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2012, 02:08:13 AM »
Now would be nice, don't know if I can wait till the first.

In The Silence is awesome, great call there. :tup

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2012, 02:27:29 AM »
Now would be nice, don't know if I can wait till the first.

In The Silence is awesome, great call there. :tup

I think I just may have to.  :biggrin:

In the Silence is fantastic for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2012, 04:18:30 AM »
The Candlemass was indeed fucking cool.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2012, 04:23:44 AM »
That it was, It's a great final chapter tot he studio side of Candlemass.

*Top 20 starts when I wake up!!!*

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2012, 05:57:48 AM »
Bring it. I haven't heard the Candlemass album yet, but I love the shit out of their first few albums.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2012, 12:21:02 PM »
Just checked out Dimension Act, holy crap dude, good stuff there!!!

That's funny, that was one of the albums I bought blindly during ProgRock Black Friday sale.  Guess I'm listening to that next.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2012, 01:54:54 PM »
I never saw Gorod, so it's my hope that they're in your top 20, as they are in mine  :yarr

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »
I haven't been able to really get into new Jeff loomis, despite loving the first one. I think maybe I wish there were either vox throughout or no vox at all.
 :corn for the top 20 anticipation.