Author Topic: JRundquist's 2012 Music Year In Review  (Read 13290 times)

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
JRundquist's 2012 Music Year In Review
« on: October 29, 2012, 04:45:04 PM »
Yes, it is only October 29th. A lot of people would say that is way too early to start doing a review thread for 2012. Some have already started. But I think its the perfect time for me to get into the groove and show off the Best, Worst and Meh in music.

As you guys have to know by now with how much i promote it, I have a weekly syndicated radio show. One of the best and worst things about the show is getting promos. For the average person that's "FUCK YEAH, I DON"T HAVE TO PAY FOR MUSIC, WAAAAAAH HOOOOOOOO!" for me it's awesome to get to check out so many bands, but it is also a gigantic burden to try to get to every single album that I get. Including music I got as promos, albums I got from bands, music I got from labels, and music I bought myself Without including the music I have yet to load into iTunes. I have 45GBs.....yes, you read that right 45 GIGABYTES of music this year. Over 4700 songs!!!!

Don't get nervous I'm not reviewing all of them. By the time I got to do that It would 2015, and I wouldn't have had the chance to check out any of the music from 2013-2014 music scene. So instead what I will be doing is somewhat similar to what I have done in past years. I will be picking random albums from iTunes Shuffle and reviewing them based off of what pops up first. and review until I hit all the albums I wanna cover, or at least have been able to check out more then twice.

This excludes my Top 20 of year, which is set in stone at this point. The reason for that is on January 1st, 2013, my radio show will be airing my top 20 of 2012, and I will not be releasing those until then *Unless you read my Facebook, then you probably know what it all is*

Starting when i wake up tomorrow I will be making this thread start. My goal behind this is to show off some music you may not have known about otherwise. It is all set in Rock and Metal *It's all I have had time for this year*

I hope you guys will dig what you will read and discover new music!

Alright, Let's Get Busy.

*Reminder, none of these albums are in any order, it is all randomized through iTunes. It is a rating scale out of 10, as I normally do. And honestly, if you don't see this or particular album it is either because they are in my Top 20, or I never knew it existed.*

1.) Circus Maximus- Nine

At first I wasn't a Circus Maximus fan. From what I heard on their first two albums I just thought of them as Dream Theater clones with no inspiration. But when Nine came out, I decided to give this one a real fair chance....and I'm glad I did. It didn't make my top 20 this year but It did make my top 30 for sure. there is so much Prog goodness going around, and they have found their own real true sound now. Nine is easily their most accessible album to date. If you need some really good Prog Metal from different sources. This is one that deserves your attention!

9/10

2.) The Night Flight Orchestra- Internal Affairs

Speed from Soilwork playing Classic Rock and 70's inspired Prog Rock, what honestly could be better? Internal Affairs seems to me has not been promoted much at all, and it should be. This is an absolute throw back 1975. Classic Guitar leads, catchy accessible Poppy Rock, Piano driven, some double bass. Boston meets Fleetwood Mac meets Yes Meets Elton John meets Thin Lizzy. Its overall just a real feel good album from beginning to end. For the classic Rock fans, or Soilwork fans who want something non-metal. Pick this up immediately!

8/10

3.) Dol Ammand- Cosmic Gods Episode I: Hyperspeed

If Therion added Djent to their sound, Or Meshuggah played Power Metal, you get Dol Ammand. Its the only way I know how to describe it. It's Symphonic Power Metal played on 7-8 strings. The idea of it is pretty awesome if done right. This wile pretty cool is a bit much to really take in upon first listen, it takes a bit of time to fully grasp everything going on on this album. I think by the time of their next album it might be a bit more digestible, but this album does feel like a cluster at times. I'm not saying its bad by any means, but just a bit too much going on. That said if you feel adventurous, check this one out.

6/10

4.) Vaura- Selenelion

Toby Driver playing bass with Dysrhythmia. Yeah it is as sexy as it sounds. It's a very experimental album. It combines the best of both worlds, the experimentation of Kayo Dot and maudlin of the Well, with the musicianship of Dysrhythmia. And it turns out fantastic. This is the kind of album where if you are like me, aren't too big into Kayo Dot and miss the maudlin of the Well days. This should be right up your alley. I love it.

8/10

5.) Apocalipsis- Apocalipsis

Instrumental Sludge Metal/Post Metal. One of the first, if not the first album I heard this year all the way back in January. It is a fantastic album to listen to in short doses. when listened to all the way through, it does get a bit one sided and almost bland. I think a lot of that has to do with the genre of music and lack of vocals. But when listen to 3-4 songs at a time. It is brilliant. Excellent musicianship and songwriting and one hell of a debut album.

6/10

6.) Black Pyramid- II

Somewhat like the name suggests, Black Pyramid is heavily influenced by Black Sabbath and Stoner/Sludge Doom Metal. Don't be scared, its all clean vocals. There is a lot of Stoner jams in, the last song alone is 15 minutes long. But the Sabbath, real Black Sabbath influence is undeniable here. It is a very good throw back to the late 70s Metal scene, and I am honestly surprised I don't hear more love for these guys. Its very catchy Heavy Metal that doesn't get boring. Iommi fans take notice!

7/10

7.) Black Breath- Sentenced To Life

Black Breath is a very Blacked Death Metal, Hardcore band. Its very high energy like Hardcore, but with an undeniable Blackened Death Metal overtone. The vocals unlike most music in this genre are very understandable and fit the music quite well. If you wanna hear a Venom, Slayer and early day Corrosion of Conformity mixture, it is Black Breath. And this album is no different. Its a great album to put on when you are pissed and wanna thrash for a good half hour or so. Again like most bands in this style, there is not much dynamics going on, but fits the mood when you need something chaotic.

6/10

8.) Gespenst- The Bloodline

Very dynamic Post Rock here. Unlike a lot of post Rock bands that do like to stay at the same tempo. Gespenst does actually change things up a bit here. They aren't reinventing the wheel, but what they do is pretty damn fantastic. It gets quite heavy at time, all while keeping the Post Rock edge, which is quite appreciated. This is definitely a band worth checking out for very dynamic Post Rock, which is absolutely needed more.

7/10

9.) Kayo Dot- Gamma Knife

Funny enough this does pop up so close to Vaura, and in the first 10 albums no less. This I do have to say is my favorite Kayo Dot album, but with that said, I'm still not really into it. The song, Rite Of Goetic Evocation is my favorite Kayo Dot song to date, and one of my favorite songs of the year, but the rest of the album/EP does really fall short to me. I miss maudlin of the Well so much, and Kayo Dot does try to continue on, but it's just not the same. If you are a Toby Driver fan, by all means give this a listen and buy it, but at the same time don't go in full expectations. Hopefully you do dig Rite Of Goetic Evocation.

4/10

10.) Propaghandi- Failed States

Very Heavy Politically influenced Punk Rock. When it comes to political bands. I don't like to hear music on either side of any issue, but at long as the music is good I can dig it. and that is thee case for Propaghandi. Its metal influenced amongst the Punk Rock vibe and it gels so very well together. Bad Religion meets Kill Em All era Metallica. That's definitely my bag, baby. If you the kind of person who is like me and doesn't like Politics in your music, just listen for it musically, I swear its worth it if you like Fast paced Metal influenced Punk Rock.

7/10

And that's it for now. I plan on doing this roughly 10 albums at a time, and there is bound to be at least 2 bands up there that you haven't really heard of before. That's a good start!

Will be back with more later....at some point!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:08:07 PM by JRundquist »
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
Re: JRundquist's 2012 Music Year In Review
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »
11.) Xandria- Neverworld's End

One of the better Female Fronted Symphonic Metal bands around. I have a really hard time getting into this genre for the sheer operatic vocal style that is just really hard for me to handle for long periods of time. Xandria does it right though. It's not overbearing and fits right along with the music. While there is nothing really groundbreaking on this album it is a very solid piece of Symphonic Metal that those who enjoy the genre will love.

6/10

12.) Narrows- Painted

Mathcore that is somewhat understandable. Those who have created Mathcore in the past are the only ones capable of pulling this off right. and with the supergroup featuring members of Botch, These Arms are Snakes amongst other bands) have created what would sound like if Every Time I Die didn't have the poppy sections yet didn't try to be brutal either. they are just writing a genre they love to play, and it comes off fantastic. Intelligent, head bang worthy Mathcore. Not album of the year worthy, but a great listen.

6/10

13.) Coldworker- The Doomsayer's Call

Deathgrind, a style of music that is really hard to comprehend when listened to for the first time but after divulging in it, it makes all the sense in the world....of metal. Coldworker did it right on this album. Its not just Death Metal blasting and Grinding, there is a lot of dynamics on this album as well, which makes the music that much better. It fits the mood when you want some crazy spastic music, that makes sense. A very killer album!

7/10

14.) The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza- IIII: The Alpha- The Omega

I've always considered TTDTE to always have the Djent sound ever since their first album, this time around, they decided to make themselves a bit crazier with adding their Meshuggah vibe mixed with Psyopus (if you haven't heard of them....just listen to the guitars) Its quite an insane album. Those who love the genre will call it one of the best of the year. For me it's another album that can be only really enjoyed in small doses. it becomes a bit much if you listen to more then half an album at a time. Chaos is great....in small doses. That said, it is an awesome album and I dare say their best to date!

6/10

15.) Les Discrets- Ariettes Oubliees

A side project of Alcest for member Winterhalter. Les Discrets is a very Atmospheric Post Metal band. No screams in this band. This is the kind of album i do imagine Alcest making next year, with more of the Black Metal Blast Beats are now synonymous with Atmospheric Post Metal, or Blackgaze. There is a lot of emotion and heartfelt laying throughout this album and you can hear it in every song. It takes you on quite the journey if you go all the way through and doesn't let go. If you do enjoy the likes of Alcest, there is no reason not to love Les Discrets!

8/10

16.) Wretched- Son Of Perdition

Technical Death Metal and some breakdowns is an easy way to describe Wretched. but there is a lot more to them then that. The vibe I get from these guys is if The Faceless or BTBAM stayed only brutal. Sure, there are dynamics all over this album, but it is still very much in the brutal vein that it should stay in. They have only gotten bigger and bigger over the years and if they keep putting out albums with the same quality of Son Of Perdition, they will be one of the biggest bands of the genre. This is some badass stuff.

7/10

17.) Hung- Hung

*Insert random pen15 joke here* Hung is one of the most impressive bands I have heard in quite some time. Very much in the vein of predecessors to the genre, in Vain and Ne Obliviscaris, Hung take their brand of Progressive Death Metal to different dynamics and characteristics that really make them stand out. Everyone in the band is absolutely stellar at their instruments, which is part of what really makes this album stand out to me. I will be severely disappointed if these guys don't make it huge in the next few years, they really deserve it. And their self titled album is their best reason why.

8/10

18.) Stick To Your Guns- Diamond

Stick To Your Guns is one of the very few Hardcore bands that I love and care about. Their style of Hardcore is so damn pleasing to the ears. Diamond is done absolutely right, great dynamics, great songwriting, great everything. A very solid melodic hardcore album. If you can dig that, this will be right for you!

8/10

19.) 3 Inches Of Blood- Love Live Heavy Metal

With a name like Long Live Heavy metal, how can you NOT love this album? Well here's how....haha. Actually no, it is a fantastic album, and of course in the 3IOB style, it is all falsetto vocals, very power metalish. They aren't breaking any new ground on this album at all, but they don't need to. They know their style and they are fantastic at it, sometimes that's all you need a band to be, solid! Put on your leather Jacket, drink some cheap beer and party, LONG LIVE HEAVY METAL!

7/10

20.) Unleashed- Odalheim

Oh yes, Unleashed, one of the finest Swedish Death Metal bands to ever exist. These guys have everything to love about Death Metal and oh so much more! Viking and Pagan themed brutality, and Odalheim is exactly that. The songs sound absolutely killer, the production is top notch, and Unleashed is at the top of their game. A US tour with Amon Amarth or Enslaved couldn't hurt (HINT HINT....PLEASE). Honestly if you love Death metal that is not standard and boring and love a good epic battle death metal visual, get Odalheim, and if you haven't check out the rest of Unleashed's work!

8/10

And that's 20 albums down! I may be doing more tonight if the mood strikes!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »
Dol Ammad (please get the spelling right in the OP; it took me longer to find than it should have) sounds awesome. Wow.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:07:07 PM »
Dol Ammad (please get the spelling right in the OP; it took me longer to find than it should have) sounds awesome. Wow.

That's how it is spelled in the promo copy I received. But cool. Glad you dig it.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »
21.) Saint Vitus- Lillie: F-65

The legends of Stoner, Sludge, Doom Metal are back, and as strong as ever. Wino and co. released a 33 minute album, their first since 1995. The songs live are even better in a live setting but on record the songs definitely capture the 70's/80's Doom Metal that they made so recognizable. While a short album, it is an awesome record to kick back and relax to, and partake if you are into that kind of thing, I'm not but I know some are. definitely give this one a spin!

7/10

22.) The Elijah- I loved I Hated I Destroyed I Created

This is normally a style of music I wouldn't be into, but there is something about it that sucks me and doesn't let go. In short it does have a Post Hardcore, almost feel to it. But it's all done over Post Rock. A combination that on paper doesn't sound like it would work that well for guys like me, but upon listening to it, I'm drawn to it. Its a dark themed concept album like the title suggests. There is a big Deftones influence from it along with most Post Hardcore, but all while keeping a very Post Rock feel. Its definitely something I didn't expect to love, but I really, really do.

8/10

23.) Spawn Of Possession- Incurso

Spawn Of Possession is THE Technical Death Metal band. They were one of the real originators of the genres and innovated it to new heights. The great things about SOP is that they are never ever boring, no matter how many notes they hit and scales they can master. Each song sounds very fresh and indeed refreshing compared to most Tech Death bands out there today. for the real deal, for what it's all about this is the band to check out!

8/10

24.) Primal Rock Rebellion- Awoken Broken

A lot of people took a crap on this album, especially Maiden fans because they do not like the vocals coming from Sikth frontman Mikee Goodman. I being the huge Sikth fan that I am, LOVE the vocals on this album. the music isn't the most inspired to come out this year but it serves its purpose quite well, a great batch of badass Hard Rockin' songs. If you like Iron Maiden, and like Sikth, there's no excuse not to love this!

8/10

25.) All Hail The Yeti- All Hail The Yeti

The best way to describe this band is if Mastodon instead of going in a Prog route went into a Pantera style Groove Metalcore route. And also the kind of band Vinnie Paul should have made Hellyeah to be. This is a fantastic album from a great band. Its a very southern Groove Metal album with some Metalcore thrown in. This is another album that really is great in separate listens. Make sure to check this one out if you love Southern Groove Metal.

7/10

26.) Epica- Requiem Of The Indifferent

A great title because that's exactly how I feel about this one....indifferent. It's a very solid Epica release, and of course Simone is one of the hottest women in all of Metal, but this time around it feels like some new band progression wouldn't be a bad thing. But then again it could also very well be because it takes a lot for me to enjoy female fronted Symphonic metal. It's not bad by any means, just not reinventing any kind of wheels for Epica. But then again I suppose they don't really have to, they're Epica.

5/10

27.) Judgement Day- Polar Shift

Now THIS is String Metal. Those of you that think Apocalyptica is the best band of this style need to get your head examined. Judgement Day is a powerhouse trio from California who first blew me away back when they opened for Dredg in December 2008 and I have been a diehard fan ever since. Polar Shift is meant to be more of a mixture between their Metal sound and their acoustic sound, and I think it has been pulled off perfectly. Its quite heavy and laid back at the same time. I repeat if you want some REAL String METAL, check out Judgement Day, and make sure to check out Polar Shift! I still recommend their last album Peacocks/Pink Monsters the most, but this is second place!

8/10

28.) Bejelit- Emerge

DAAAAAAAAAAMN, now this is some HEAVY Power Metal. I guess you could almost categorize it as Extreme Power Metal. Dragonforce meets Symphony X with a bit of Mutiny Within thrown in. I'm honestly surprised I never heard of these guys until this year as they have been around for 10 years kicking ass. Check these guys out for some heavy, HEAVY, HEAVY Power Metal!

8/10

29.) Corrosion Of Conformity- Corrosion Of Conformity

The original COC is back and as Hardcore as ever. Gone are the days of the Pepper years. A lot of people are disappointed about it. I for one am not. I love both sides to COC and I've been waiting for them to get some of the hardcore roots back, and they finally did. The whole album is just a throw back to the late 80's Hardcore scene. Hardcore bands of today should take this album as a lesson of what to play. It's so damn good all the way through.

9/10

30.) Eclipse Eternal- The Essence Of Hopelessness

This is a very depressing, yet upbeat, Black Metal album. when you look at the song titles and when you can understand the lyrics, it is very raw and evil, yet the production is actually very damn good....so it can't be real Black Metal right? haha. This is another example of a band I never would have discovered if it wasn't for my radio show, which I am truly grateful for. This is some killer Black Metal, and in this case, the pun is intended.

7/10

30 albums in just a few hours. I might be up for another ten later tonight. Still pondering the idea.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 01:24:50 AM »
Incurso was good but did you ever hear Gorod's A Perfect Absolution?
Perfect indeed

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 02:22:45 AM »
Perfect indeed

Yes I have. I won't say anything about it quite yet. I have 37GBs of 2012 I haven't even touched on here yet (Out of the 39GBs I chose to review, Only reviewing ones I heard more then once).

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 03:36:53 AM »
Perfect indeed

Yes I have. I won't say anything about it quite yet. I have 37GBs of 2012 I haven't even touched on here yet (Out of the 39GBs I chose to review, Only reviewing ones I heard more then once).
Give it a few listens, they're really blazing their own path  :metal

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 04:18:14 AM »
Perfect indeed

Give it a few listens, they're really blazing their own path  :metal

I meant I wasn't going to mention Gorod yet as I have them coming up in my list of said 39Gbs of music.  :biggrin:

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 06:57:38 PM »
31.) Red Lamb- Red Lamb

A lot of people, including myself forgot about this album. This is Dan Spitz new project that was originally done with the help of Dave Mustaine doing production and writing lyrics (which makes a lot more sense now in hindsight). It is a very Thrashy album with a lot of Pop Rock, Alternative Metal, and other mixtures. Definitely not something you would automatically assume would be made by Spitz and Mustaine. It is absolutely an album that is easy to forget about and put on the wayside, but if you actually check it out, it's really damn good for what it is, Mid 90's clash of Anthrax and Megadeth.

7/10

32.) House Of Fools- Versus The Beast

Arguably the lightest album on the entire list *sans some post rock albums* This is a great Alternative, Pop Rock band that really knows how to write some catchy Rock that anyone in any fanbase of music can enjoy. Fabulous songwriting and musicianship on this one with a lot of different genres covered. One band that really stands out as an influence, although not really vocally, is Queen. I also hear a lot of Pink Floyd and even Maroon 5 as well. Its an amazing achievement to be able to capture the sound they have and its worth checking out if you need some non-metal music to enjoy. This takes the silver medal for my favorite Non Metal album of 2012.

9/10

33.) Amberian Dawn- Circus Black

Here is another Female Fronted Symphonic Metal band. The one advantage this band has is that there is very few operatic vocals in the style of Nightwish, which is always a major plus to me. While the music is very set in stone in the Symphonic Metal route, there is more to it, kinda like the name suggests it feel like a circus of metal. Not in a BTBAM or Devin Townsend kind of way, but more like magical and theatrical circus kind of way. I like it a lot and its definitely worth checking out!

6/10

34.) Klone- The Dreamer's Hideaway

I thank Stef Brooks of Textures for helping me discover this band. It is fantastic Alternative Progressive Metal. In a way Faith No More meets Fates Warning meets today's Alternative Rock. It is a very odd mixture in text but upon hearing it, it all makes since. This is some very cool stuff that really needs to be checked out Today's Prog fans should be gushing over this album like I am.

9/10

35.) Soulfly- Enslaved

Anyone remember the Nu Metal days of Soulfly? Yeah I have forgotten about it too. Their last 4 albums have been brutal as hell, just as Max Cavalera should be doing. Enslaved is easily the heaviest and most brutal Soulfly album to date. The songwriting is also improving with age as well. The songs all concise and precisely accurate. I really hope Max can keep up this pace for as long as he keeps Soulfly going. This really is some of his finest work!

8/10

36.) Stone Sour- House Of Gold & Bones Part 1

I went into this album with expectations that this was going to suck. I couldn't have been more wrong. I love the first album, the second had some OK moments. Audio Secrecy sucked! but this.....this is one of the finest Hard Rock Albums made in the last 20 years, I dare say since Alice In Chains' Dirt. I was not expecting this quality of music anymore but its there from start to finish, and next year when Part 2 comes out, I can only hope it's of the same quality and not a let down like most sequels, haha. But seriously. Even if you hate Stone Sour, and hate mainstream music, actually give this album a chance, I did, and I couldn't be happier. I'm still in awe.

9/10

37.) Mental Architects- Celebrations

If Hella made Post Rock.......it's the only real way I can describe it. Its nowhere near as chaotic as Hella, but it is so very much in a heavy Math Rock feel compared to most Post Rock. If you combine the two it is Mental Architects. Easily, without question, one of the best Post albums of the year Stellar all the way through and they deserve much more appreciation then they are getting. Hell, I'm the only one i know of that digs them, THAT'S NOT RIGHT! Check this out ASAP if you need something as awesome as the great mixture that is Math Rock and Post Rock.

9/10

38.) Moonspell- Omega White

Even though Alpha Noir/Omega White was released on one dis, I am reviewing them separately as they are two very different styles. Omega White just happened to come up first. Omega white is a very dark, doomy, gloomy, Gothic Rock album in the vein of Type O Negative. It really showcases the dark beauty of Goth Rock, yes there is beauty in REAL Goth Rock, not Hot topic style Radio Goth Rock. I think Peter Steele would be very proud of this album as it matches the mood of the music he always made. While it is pretty much the polar opposite of Alpha Noir, it fits together very well, and if you can dig real Goth Rock, you will love this!

7/10

39.) Liam- MMIX

A side project of Lantlos. This Post Rock/Shoegaze is a very dark, beautiful album that is really fits the mood for a night where you are really bummed out. Again nothing groundbreaking here. Just very beautiful, dark Post Rock and Shoegaze. Something that is totally up my alley and any fan of the genre will love. Put this on tonight and you will love it.

8/10

40.) Oak Pantheon- From A Whisper

Atmospheric Black Metal, very much in the vein of Alcest. Although it gets more atmospheric then anything else throughout the album. The promo copy I received isn't the best in quality (its a web rip, so cymbals sound very, very bad) but the real version of this album sounds fantastic and fits the mood for all the Atmospheric, Folk Black Metal that those who enjoy it for. Give it a spin, its very much worth it.

7/10

41.) Job For A Cowboy- Demonocracy

Say what you want about Job for A Cowboy, they get knocked every single day just for their name alone, let alone their music. But after I got to interview Jonny Davy back in August, he gave me one of the best interviews I have ever done, all about the current state of music. JFAC has gone from a Deathcore band into a very brutal Death Metal band, and I will say it because not a lot of people will. I love every damn release from JFAC, and I have since I discovered them in 2007. Demonocracy is exactly as I just said a brilliant brutal Death Metal album. And for as much crap as these guys get, they are fantastic songwriters and musicians and you really should give them an honest chance if you don't already have your opinions set in stone about them.

7/10

42.) Dirge Within- There Will Be Blood

Not entirely sure if this is based on the film or not. I never really got into these guys before. No real rhyme or reason for it, just one of those bands I always heard about but never really checked out their stuff before. I finally did with this album and I'm glad I did, its really damn good Metalcore, Thrash Metal and Groove Metal. They have some really catchy almost radio Rock friendly songs mixed in with their heavy as hell songs. Its worth checking out if this is your bag, it's definitely mine and I can see these guys making it far if they keep up this pace.

6/10

43.) Oddland- The Treachery Of Senses

If Fair To Midland really went relentless with their Metal side and kept the Prog, they would be Oddland. the vocal style is obviously very, very different than that of FTM, but music there is a lot of similarities, just more crushing Prog Metal. I can also hear a lot of Influence from Evergrey and Mastodon as well. Its a very well thought out Prog Metal album that I hope launches them into new found stardom, because given the right chance, they could be huge. I hope it happens.

8/10

44.) Fire And Ice- Not Of This Earth

Once again I must stress that it takes a lot for me to enjoy the new era of Hardcore as it is usually not my bag by any means. But Fire and Ice does it right. Its very heavy, but very catchy at the same time. There is none of the annoying Hatebreed style vocals and some very well written songs, like old school thrash and 80's Hardcore used to be. Fire and Ice hit the nail on the head for this one. If you can tolerate any kind of Hardcore, check this out because you will very much appreciate the music that is being played. Very cool stuff.

8/10

45.) Mysteriarch- Mournful Embrace of Aeons

Atmospheric Symphonic Black Metal done right. I am highly impressed with this album for everything that it captures. It's the kind of music that I can imagine Emperor being if they were still around now and added the Atmospheric Black Metal element to their sound. For Black Metal fans and those who love Atmospheric Black metal pick this one up, it is a fantastic album that deserves attention.

8/10

46.) Gaza- No Absolutes In Human Suffering

Not just one of the most brutal albums of the year. I'd dare say one of the most brutal albums of the past decade. HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY Sludge Metal and Grindcore mixtures all over. Its almost criminal that these guys aren't bigger then they are. A great way i heard this described is if The Dillinger Escape Plan and Napalm Death made an album together, and I think that is an absolute fair assessment. So very killer all the way through and never gets boring. If you love chaos, this is for you. You actually feel like you are in Gaza while they are playing.

8/10

47.) The Seer- The Prologue

Progressive Black Metal. What an oddly awesome combination. You could also say that about Emperor's last couple albums as well. Although it is not just a black Metal album, its a heavy influence. there is a lot of Prog, Math Metal and Thrash throughout as well. I can only see these guys getting bigger and better if they stick to their guns and keep making brilliant music like is showcased on The Prologue. Also their cover of Emperor's In A Wordless Chamber *My favorite Emperor song*....PERFECTION!

9/10

48.) Napalm Death- Utilitarian

WOW, Napalm Death has only gotten crazier and better. Death metal, Grindcore, and back to the Noise Metal as well. this is absolutely one of the best chaotic albums of the year. Its everything you have come to know and love *or hate* from Napalm Death with added influences like Saxophone on one of my favorite songs of the year, Everyday Pox. Imagine the Norwegian band, Shining, writing music with Napalm Death, you get Utilitarian, it is obscenely awesome!

9/10

49.) Destinos- Fireflies For Fireworks

The first real "Djent" album showcased in this list. And I really, Really, REALLY hate using the term Djent. But it has become so Synonymous that its not worth trying to explain Progressive Math metal to people who don't know what I'm talking about, so the purpose of trying to move things along, I'll be saying Djent for this and the other albums that fit this mold. This is a pretty heavy influenced by Djent album with lots of soundscapes and all instrumental. That said it is very damn good with a lot of cool songs on here. Luckily this is just an EP or it would get a bit overbearing with no vocals or just the style itself, but for how long this EP is, it's the perfect timing. For some killer instrumental Djent, check this one out.

7/10

50.) Ex Deo- Caligvla

All the way from Ancient Rome *COUGH, Canada....it's Kataklysm, COUGH* comes some very badass heavy Power Death Meta. It is cheesy, there is no denying that, with all the roman soundclips of battle, the soundtrack synths, etc. But that's what makes it so awesome. It feels like you are fighting in the Roman Coliseum. The songs are not drastically different from each other, but they are much different then you'd ever hear from Kataklysm, no blast beats what so ever. And the music is much more simple. And that is exactly what is called for here. It's a great album of Roman style Death Metal that makes you wanna stand up and fight. check it out!

8/10

Well, that's 20 albums in a row, 50 albums altogether so far. and so many more to go. I'll probably be doing more later tonight. now my mind needs to rest for a little bit. haha

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »
51.) Bend Sinister- Small Frame

Canadian Alternative Prog Rock. It is damn cool stuff. I have been a fan of these guys for a few years now, and only recently have they gotten any kind of attention since Mike Portnoy Tweeted about them. This is a killer album all the way through, but really picks up near the end of the album. I would describe them as Spock's Beard with the quirkiness of The Mars Volta. Its a great album to check out if you want a roller coaster of a Prog Rock album.

9/10

52.) Stealing Axion- Moments

If Fates Warning and Periphery joined up in a band, you'd get Stealing Axion. I honestly couldn't be more impressed with these guys. Yes there is a lot of Djenty moments throughout the album, but there is so many great Atmospheric Progressive Rock moments that just makes everything flow together so well. There is a lot of Ray Adler style vocal moments as well, which I am always a sucker for. Since Djent will be around for a little bit longer till the heard starts to get thinned down, I hope it starts going in this direction, like The Contortionist started doing. If this is the future of Progressive Metal, I love where it is going.

9/10

53.) Skyharbor- Blinding White Noise: Illusion And Chaos

Wow, a lot of my favorite non Top 20 albums are popping up right now. Like Stealing Axion there is some Chug Chug Djent Djent riffs throughout this album, BUT this album is way more than that. It is a Pure Progressive Metal album that is one of the most impressive debuts to come out in quite some time. If Marty Friedman wants to do a guest solo on your album, you are doing something right. If you have a prejudice against any music with Chugs in it, this album should be able to throw that out the window. This is so damn good. I should also note, it's all clean vocals, just another reason to check this out!

9/10

54.) Serj Tankian- Harakiri

If it wasn't for the politics on this album, this would be in my top 10 albums of the year. But since it is so heavily layered in Politics, it didn't even crack my top 30. I KNOW I KNOW, don't start with me on political issues. I have my own opinions, I just keep them out of music. And I am fully aware that is what everyone attached to System Of A Down does. But musically, this is a brilliant record. the most rocking album Serj has been a part of since Toxicity. There isn't a weak point musically, and Serj's vocal styling is the best in years as well. It just makes me wish that he would start singing about abstract ideas again. Oh well...

6/10

55.) Empires Of Eden- Channeling The Infinite

A power Metal supergroup to say the least. Some of the biggest names in Power Metal are covered on this album including one of my favorite singers of all time Sean Peck of Cage. This is a very epic Power Metal album that covers the entire gambit of the genre. Its very damn heavy and every song fits together so well. Its too bad this project is the way it is, because of how many singers are on this album, they won't be able to tour. I would have loved to have seen this stuff live, Especially the songs sang by Sean Peck. Any real Power Metal fan should pick this up immediately! I can't imagine you being disappointed by this.

8/10

56.) Wake Of Redemption- Earthshaker

There's no better feeling to me then discovering a brand new Progressive Metal band I never heard of before and enjoying the hell out of them. That is Wake Of Redemption for me. Very much in the vein of similar named Redemption, Wake Of Redemption divulges into more styles then just Prog Metal. The title track for examples covers a lot of Blues Rock territory in the solo. I should add there is some Screams on this album, but like nude art, its done very tastefully and done at the right spots. And unlike a lot of screams, you can actually understand the words being said. I hope these guys make it far. They are too damn good not to!

8/10

57.) Maladie- Plague Within

If Iron Maiden started making Black Metal, it would be Maladie. This is very layered in Maiden and of course the tremolo picking and blast beats that are Black metal. I think it very well could be the next phase of Black Metal once the Atmospheric Black Metal dies down a bit (Although I don't think that will go away, at least I hope not). Its very intricate throughout and some very brilliant songwriting. If you dare venture to know what would happen when you mix Iron Maiden and Emperor. Check out Maladie!

7/10

58.) Fozzy- Sin and Bones

I never really checked out Fozzy until this year. I just had a feeling it would be cheesy Hard Rock that I just wouldn't care about. And again, I was proven wrong. This is a very damn solid Hard Rock album, a throw back to the 80's Hard Rock (not Glam Rock) scene, all while staying contemporary. a rare feat to pull off. Chris Jericho and Co. really know how to write classic Hard Rock in today's world. I really dig it a lot.

7/10

59.) Chapel- Satan's Rock And Roll

Speed Metal, Black Metal and Motorhead style Rock and Roll. It is a great combination. Yes it is a cheesy Satanic Metal album. But the music more than makes up for it. It is exactly as I described it, and it is a very fun listen to when you just wanna be metal and party. Give it a spin if you got some PBR and all your metal friends are coming over tonight!

6/10

60.) Earthlimb- Origin

This is exactly how I would want Scale The Summit to sound if they ever incorporated vocals. It is very tasteful mastery of Progressive Rock and Metal, not overbearing on scale and "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO" style riffs. It feels like great Prog Rock and Metal written for fans of Rock and metal. As I said, check this one out if you want Scale The Summit with vocals.

8/10
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:07:21 PM by JRundquist »

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »
61.) The Samuel Jackson Five- The Samuel Jackson 5

Yup, this is based on Samuel L. Jackson and the Jackson 5. But it's all Post Rock with a little bit of Electronica. Europe is one of the few ears of the world that can combine Electronica to music and not have it suck. There is nothing really on this album that really stands out to me other then the fact that it is a very solid album. I like to think of it if 65daysofstatic kept the post rock in their sound instead of abandoning it for Electronica and also with occasional vocals. It's great stuff.

7/10

62.) Exotic Animal Petting Zoo- Trees Of Tongues

Very Experimental Post Hardcore combine with some Prog. If Mr Bungle went to Hot Topic. Musically, this is a great album but the vocals do ruin it for me. For those that love Post Hardcore this is right up your alley vocally. Its worth a listen if you think you might dig it, for me, I was hoping to like it more then I did, which really didn't happen.

4/10

63.) Fear Factory- The Industrialist

As the name suggest, this is the most Industrial sounding Fear Factory album in quite some time. Its a good album. I'm quite bummed that there isn't real drums on this album. But I am glad they have a real drummer live, or else that would have been incredibly lame. Musically, I do like Mechanize a lot more, but The Industrialist. The one turn off on this album more then anything is the instrumental 9 minute final track that goes absolutely nowhere. Much like Strapping Young Lad's Alien where Info Dump was just synths and guitar distortion and feedback. Maybe I'm just missing out on something? But it is a good album sans those aspects, Fear factory fans should love this album!

5/10

64.) Carach Angren- Where The Corpses Sink Forever

Experimental Black Metal. It can sometimes come out sounding like a complete cluster, other times it comes off brilliant. This occasion it comes out brilliant. This is one of the finest Black Metal albums to come out this year. its not just about blast beats, shrieking vocals and tremolo picking. There is a lot going on in this album that anyone with an open mind can appreciate. it's really hard to describe the album further then that without hearing the album for yourself. Go for it, If you dig Black metal you will love this.

8/10

65.) T.R.A.M.- Lingua Franca

Ah yes. 2/3s of Animals As Leaders, the Saxophonist of The Mars Volta and Drummer Eric Moore. This is a Fusion band that was destined to happen. This all instrumental album is a great mixture of all 3 of the styles these bands represent into a Instrumental Fusion Rock band. No one overplays on this album, so its not really free form Fusion, but it is very damn tasteful. it only really loses steam on the last song, Inverted Ballad, where there is no drums at all. Other then that its perfection. I highly recommend this if you love tremendous musicianship though powerful Fusion

8/10

66.) Soen- Cognitive

Tool meets Opeth. There is no better way to describe this band. Martin Lopez, formerly of Opeth wanted to start playing again so he formed this group to get back out there and play again. While all the songs on the album are good in their own right, its not very imaginative. Mikael Akerfeldt singing over Aenima. To most Prog Metal fans, that's a double dip cream dream. for me...I've never really been that much into Tool, just not my bag. But that said the musicianship is awesome and Martin Lopez is indeed a monster on this album. I'm hoping by the time of their next album they will expand on their sound. Or perhaps this will be their niche?

5/10

67.) Yakuza- Beyul

This is definitely a good example of Avant Garde Metal. Its a collective hodgepodge of Metal and other influences. Much heavier than something like Kayo Dot but just as experimental and messed up as Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Its not an album you can really digest in one sitting unless you are major fans of Merzbow or Boris or Dog Fashion Disco. For Experimental Music, this may be one of the highlights of the year....if you are into it!

7/10

68.) Akphaezya- Anthology IV: The Tragedy Of Nerak

And inspeaking of Experimental Avant Garde Music, take everything I said above for Yakuza, and add a female lead singer and bit less Heaviness and you get this band. This really is Sleepytime Gorilla Museum meets UneXpect. Is very much a mindfuck of an album, but in a very sexy way. If you are feeling a bit frisky for Avant Garde Metal fronted by a frontwoman, check this out, its definitely a circus of music.

7/10

69.) Dantalion- Return To Deep Lethargy

Not the sexiest album to have come up for number 69, although someone out there will think so, haha. This is some more of the Atmospheric Black Metal that I love. It also has a mid era Paradise Lost feel at times amongst the Black Metal going on. its very dark and atmospheric. The one thing that does drive me away from this album, despite how good the music is, is the vocals. That is something that doesn't happen to me often. It has a barking dog feeling that doesn't really fit in my eyes. But its worth it for the music alone. Not the best Atmospheric Black Metal album to come out this year, but worthy of at least a listen.

6/10

70.) God Forbid- Equilibrium

Metalcore album of the year, its not even an option. God Forbid has always been one of my favorite Metalcore bands along with Shadows Fall. For a couple albums, they lost me. but Equilibrium brought me back in a HUGE way. Scraping The Walls is one of my favorite songs of the year. Besides the Metalcore sound that will always be in their sound, there is a lot of elements of Prog, Death Metal, hell in catchy rock and blues type solos. This is a band that I find criminal that they aren't at Lamb Of God type popularity, they should be, and Equilibrium should be regarded as one of the best albums of the year. yes it didn't make my top 20, but it's in my Top 25.

9.5/10

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »
Wait a minute. Are you insinuating that Job For a Cowboy no longer sucks?

Also, that Primal Rock Rebellion is the best thing Adrian Smith has been a part of since Brave New World.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 08:31:15 AM »

Also, that Primal Rock Rebellion is the best thing Adrian Smith has been a part of since Brave New World.
Job For A Cowboy never sucked, and their last two albums have been bonafide Death Metal stompers.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 02:38:06 PM »

JFAC never sucked!

and Primal Rock Rebellion is awesome!

Job For A Cowboy never sucked, and their last two albums have been bonafide Death Metal stompers.

YES!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »
71.) Towards Darkness- Barren

Funeral Death Metal...It's slow, it's heavy, it's depressing as all hell; but when it's done right its one of the most rewarding musical genres to enjoy. It's like watching Breaking Bad, there are parts of it that are quite slow, but it always builds up and the impact moments take your breath away. That's what Towards Darkness has done with barren. it's only 4 songs, 3/4th of them over the 10 minute mark. It's a hard genre to get into, especially if you have A.D.D. But that said if you take the time it is so rewarding, and that's how I feel about Barren. Give it a fair chance and ti will be worth it!

8/10

72.) Fornorst Arnor- The Death Of A Rose

If Opeth kept up in the style of Still Life, it would be this album. Its a very depressing Progressive Death Metal album with a major Opeth vibe. Along with acoustic passages, death inspired lyrics *as the album title suggests* and overall a hauntingly beautiful soundscape. It is a great album for fans of this style, which I know I am, and it should please anyone who misses this era of Opeth.

8/10

73.) Behold...The Arctopus- Horrorsension

With their 2nd full length, the masters of WTF? Metal are back. Every single song is utterly and baffling insane. Anyone who can cover a song off this album is definitely a master of their craft. The songs like a lot of Math Metal and Avant Garde Metal is quite hard to get into if you aren't already a fan of the genre, but if you can get into it.....WOAH! Again this is another album that's fits in the "Can't listen to it all in one sitting" category, but a couple songs here and there definitely fits the mood. Did I mention how insane this album is?

7/10

74.) Shadows Fall- Fire From The Sky

For the last couple Shadows Fall albums I was kinda lost. They aren't bad albums but not really my bag either. Shadows fall won me back over again with Fire From The Sky. It's back to being a pure Thrash/Metalcore album which is what made me a fan in the first place. Considering they are currently on a headlining tour for this album, I hope it will win them back some fans that have been gone for a while as they deserve to be playing to good size crowds and kicking ass everywhere in the country. Needless to say if you miss the days of The Art Of Balance, they are back and in greater numbers!

8/10

75.) Krisiun- Arise From Blackness

A very damn Raw and Groovin' Death Metal album from one of my favorite Death Metal bands. as much brutality is on this album it is balanced out with a lot of groove in the right spots, some flamenco guitars and even some speed punk vocals near the end. It is a fantastic fast and heavy album that any real Death metal fan will love. And once again it is very, very raw. Gotta love it.

9/10

76.) The Darkness- Hot Cakes

A not so guilty pleasure of mine is The Darkness. They write badass Rock And Roll. When I heard they got back together, I couldn't have been happier because I know they have it in them to keep writing badass Rock and Roll. Hot Cakes is no different. This is the current band from England that should be selling out arenas in the states, not Muse (I'll get to them later). Its very solid all the way through and every song just as catchy in a good way. When you need a break from Prog and Metal, check this one out! It fits the mood for any time you want a good time!

9/10

77.) Aborted- Global Flatline

Absolutely Brutal Death Metal and Grindcore. Aborted is definitely not a band for the faint of heart. This album in particular feels like a global assault from start to finish, just as the title implies. Amongst all the brutality shown, there is a lot of melodies as well, which is not something you'd normally expect from this genre. It fits the mood if you want some controlled chaos, while killing zombies and stuff. haha

7/10

78.) Meldrum- Lifer

The last album from guitarist, Michelle Meldrum. This was written all the way back in 2008 before she was sent to the hospital and found a cystic growth on her brain that inevitably killed her. Lifer was finally finished and released this year in tribute to her, and it is a fantastic female fronted band. Gene Hoglan, in one of his many albums he recorded this year, played on this doing a fantastic job as well. It is a very groovy Heavy Metal album, SYL meets Motorhead, more aligning with Motorhead. Make sure to give this album a good listen to hear that awesomeness that was Meldrum.

7/10

79.) Siamese Fighting Fish- Breathe: See: Move

Another great Alternative Prog band that HIGHLY deserves attention. Like another great band that will get mentioned soon enough, For The Imperium, Siamese Fighting Fish is the kind of bands that stays in a catchy, light hearted style while staying heavy and exploring new territories. I love it when a band can explore different genres while still having a core element (core as in a central sound, not "core" as in hardcore, deathcore, etc). THis is a very fun listen and deserves a lot of attention. Check this stuff out!

9/10

80.) My Dying Bride- A Map Of All Our Failures

One of the Masters of Doom Metal are back in My Dying Bride. As they do on every album, they prove they know how to write a dark, beautiful Doom Metal album. While with most Doom Metal there is no real diversity in the sound, it flows together quite nicely and always fits when you need some Dark depressing Metal playing through your speakers. Give it a spin, it feels very underrated already!

8/10

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »
I've been enjoying the write-ups, although there's been little to interest me musically so far- but The Darkness? I'm firmly in the "they are total shite" camp. Awful.

I did enjoy the Nightflight Orchestra though. Thanks for the rec.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 05:25:17 PM »
I've been enjoying the write-ups, although there's been little to interest me musically so far- but The Darkness? I'm firmly in the "they are total shite" camp. Awful.

I did enjoy the Nightflight Orchestra though. Thanks for the rec.

Even if I show one band to someone that they enjoy, I've done my job.  :metal

I got plenty of more music to come. This is MAYBE a third of the music that I've heard this year.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 06:40:53 PM »
You know, I find this thread to be awesome. I'm reading through all of it and have picked out some things to check out, based on your reviews of them. I'm still enjoying Dol Ammad, though it's getting a bit repetitive.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline adace

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 06:51:53 PM »
Just checked out Black Pyramid. Awesome band  :metal

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »
Checked out a few of these -- Gespenst is a winner thus far.  Keep in comin', JR!  (And thanks!)
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 08:16:38 PM »
You know, I find this thread to be awesome. I'm reading through all of it and have picked out some things to check out, based on your reviews of them. I'm still enjoying Dol Ammad, though it's getting a bit repetitive.

Thanks man!

That's why Dol Ammad is ranked kinda low for me, its a great combination, but only in small doses.

Just checked out Black Pyramid. Awesome band  :metal

I love Black Pyramid, make sure to check out their first album as well. Same level of Awesomeness.

Checked out a few of these -- Gespenst is a winner thus far.  Keep in comin', JR!  (And thanks!)

Thanks man! I love Gespenst, such a very cool Post Rock band with great dynamics.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 08:18:24 PM »
81.) Kristoffer Gildenlow- Rust

I had no idea that Kristoffer was going to keep going with music after he left Pain Of Salvation, which I am still very, very bummed about. This is about the most mellow album that I have enjoyed (outside Post Rock) in a very long time. Like his brother Daniel, Kristoffer has a very soothing voice, but unlike Pain Of Salvation, this is 100% laid back, Mellow, relaxing and Folky. Its the kind of album you put on just as you are about to head for bed. there are those that feel the dimension of POS changed after Kristoffer left, but this album proves that Daniel really was in charge the whole time and would have went into the direction they did anyways. Kristoffer pulled a Ritchie Blackmore on us, and that's totally cool with me.

7/10

82.) Lacuna Coil- Adrenaline

WHY DO I KEEP TRYING WITH THESE GUYS?!?!?!?! Every album I get suckered in a by a song or two that is ok, followed by such mediocrity/ It starts off good then just dies off very quickly, like every other Lacuna Coil album since they got recognition. It depresses the hell out of me because I know they are capable of so much more but choose not to. I will fall for it again on the next album again I'm sure. Oh well....

3/10

83.) Call Me No One- Last Parade

Who says good Hard Rock is dead? It's not, it just smells funny! haha Badass Radio hard Rock is out there but most stations choose not to accept it in favor of well...crap! Call me No One is a side project of Sevendust that is just so damn killer. It's very catchy, heavy, and simply awesome from start to finish. Its not groundbreaking Rock or anything of the likes its just solid Hard Rock that deserves to be heard check it out and keep good Radio Hard Rock alive.

9/10

84.) Dragony- Legends

Symphonic Power Metal is usually really one sided and has two speeds. Metal and Ballad. And that is the case here as well. If you are a symphonic Power Metal fan, there is nothing new here but it fits in with all Symphonic Power Metal that you love and enjoy. the epic symphony, the speed, the heroic vocals. It's got it all. I think once the band develops and releases more album there will be more imagination behind it, but this is good stuff.

6/10

85.) Vesperian Sorrow- Stormwinds Of Ages

Symphonic (Well Synth driven anyways) Death Metal This is surprisingly good stuff. It mainly focuses on the Symphonic side of Metal with Death Metal just a tad out of the foreground. There is also moments of Black Metal as well but I believe a lot of that has to do with the Symphonic moments I'm not too familiar with the combination presented before me, but it really fits well together. If you need the wild combination of Synth Driven Death Metal, go forth and check this out!

7/10

86.) The Pilgrim- Misery Wizard

Oh yes, another fantastic Doom Metal album. There is a very heavy Sleep vibe on this album and of course mixed with Sabbath. The one good feature on this album compared to most in the genre is that the vocals are for the most part clean and understandable, which makes it a lot more fun to listen to. I really advise checking this one out for some standout Stoner Doom Metal.

8/10

87.) Stolen Babies- Naught

Stolen Babies is one of the finest Avant Garde Metal bands going today. Naught definitely is more in the Metal vein while keeping all the Vaudeville and Circus styles they are known for. It is a fantastic album full of dynamics and great songwriting. Its very understandable why Devin Townsend wanted them on the DTP/Katatonia tour. Get it!

9/10

88.) Slash- Apocalyptic Love

Myles Kennedy has taken over for full vocal duties in Slash's live band and on this album. He is my favorite hard Rock singer currently going and I dare say one of my favorite singers ever. But this album is absolutely Cock Rock. It's not meant to be one of those albums that is meant to deep or though provoking. It's from the guitarist of Guns N Roses, its going to be a Cock Rock album full of cheese and 80's flavor. And that is ok. It does kinda knock it down for me in the rock rock category, but it is a good album none the less. Check it out for a fun Rock album.

7/10

89.) Pig Destroyer- Book Burner

What is there to say about Pig Destroyer that hasn't already been said? they are one of the finest Grindcore bands to ever exist. Book Burner is actually one of the more, if not the most accessible Pig Destroyer albums. There is a lot of dynamics for a Grindcore band that's not just random noise and blast beats. There are actually songs on this one! haha While not my favorite album of the genre to come out, its is very badass and deserves a good listen. If you wanted a reason to enjoy Grindcore, Book Burner should be able to help you out.

8/10

90.) Eye Empire- Impact

Simply Put I love these guys. it is a Hard Rock Supergroup featuring members of Sevendust and Submersed. Its very though provoking Hard Rock. My favorite thing about this album besides the over all hard Rock vibe is the life dynamics, it goes from depressing to happy and everything in between, and fires on all cylinders. It's a very impressive album and I can see these guys making far if they choose to pursue it more then just a side project.

8/10

91.) Prong- Carved Into Stone

Prong has been one of my favorite bands for quite some time. They are much more then Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck. They are very badass Groove Metal and a very damn technical band at that. Carved into Stone is just a fun, killer album that hits very pinpoint you'd want from Prong, and I'd say one of their most well balanced albums to date. Enjoy this one, it's so very rare for a band to be around as long as Prong and write this damn good of an album!

9/10

92.) Grave- Endless Procession Of Souls

One of my favorite things about Grave is that they are not about being the fastest, or most technical, or the most brutal Death Metal band. They are about wring damn good Death metal songs, and that is why they have always been one of my favorite Death Metal bands. There is zero need for blast beats in Grave. Its Groovin' it's heavy, it's damn good songs. And it's exactly what I want in a death metal album. Great songwriting and Dynamics. While not my favorite Death Metal album of the year, it's super close.

9/10

93.) Naglfar- Teras

While this is an album in particular I haven't been able to give my full attention to, I do know this is one seriously killer Black Metal album. The production is nice and very tight, the musicality and songwriting is awesome and it should suit the needs of all Black Metal fans out there. it has the right atmosphere for all subgenres of Black Metal. Gotta love it!

7/10

94.) Suspyre- Suspyre

Prog Metal fans rejoice! Suspyre is back and kicking more ass than ever before. If Symphony X didn't just focus on the Metal side about them, they would be what Suspyre are now. It's an outstanding Prog Metal album that I don't get why it's not getting more praise. Maybe in due time...I Hope

8/10

95.) Bonded By Blood- The Aftermath

Int he Aftermath of yet another lineup change, I think BOB has finally found their sound. it's very much a Thrash Metal album, but it's a bit more as well. there are some slower paced songs and Mid-Tempo. its not just about speed and technicality, although that's in here as well. it's a dynamic Thrash album, and again, not my favorite Thrash album, but still very damn good.

7/10

96.) Dumbsaint- Something That You Feel Will Find Its Own Form

This is a very strange Post Rock album to me. In that there is not the typical HIGH LOW HIGH LOW, or LOW HIGH LOW HIGH Post Rock songwriting. It sometimes stays heavy all the way through, or soft all the way through. it's a much more aggressive Post Rock album than you would normally find. To me that is a great thing because it shows there can be even more dynamics in Post Rock than there already are. Definitely check this one out for some aggressive Post Rock, it will take you by surprise.

8/10

97.) Pepe Deluxe- Queen Of The Wave

I....I have no idea how to categorize this album. There is every single type of ROCK genre in this album, Hard Rock, Surf Pop, Blues, Hip Hop. This literally can please any music fan out there, especially those of you with an open mind. It does take a couple listens to really appreciate this album if you don't know what to expect from it, but once it clicks....OOOOOOOOOOOH YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH. This is probably 3rd in my favorite non-metal albums of the year, but that said I rank it very damn high. GET IT, GET IT NOW!

9/10

98.) Swallow The Sun- Emerald Forest And The Blackbird

Oh yes, Folk Metal. This is an album i am once again surprised not to see more people drooling over. This may very well be their finest work and it feels as though it fell to the wayside. It has impeccable musicianship and songwriting and damn good production at that. The only downside I can see for some people is the length of the songs, but given that it is Swallow the Sun, what did you expect? Give this very underrated album a chance, it deserves it.

8/10

99.) Eluveitie- Halvetios

This album is at number 21 for me. It was in my Top 20 pretty much all year since it was released. The only reason it is at number twenty one and not in my top 20 is a few surprise albums that I never expected to make it that far. A fantastic Folk Metal concept album that hits all the right spots and draws you in and doesn't let you go. this is the best Eluveitie album, without a shadow of a doubt. it makes you wanna go into an epic battle and come out victorious!

9/10

100.) Aviyn- Aviyn

Given the description that was in the promo, I did not expect to like these guys much. Breakdowns, Djent and Post Hardcore style cleans. But I am actually pleasantly surprised by it. Not as much as I could have been but this is actually quite impressive for the genre. It's not something I would go back to all the time, but upon hearing it, I quite enjoy it and is one of the finer albums to come out of this style, also their cover of Deftones Diamond Eye is the best Deftones cover I've heard to date. If you can withstand breakdowns and Djent at all, check it out!

6/10

Ok that's 100 album down, which is about 90-75 more albums then most people I know will check out in a year. and I still have almost 27GBs of music left to go through. I hope you guys have found at least one album to check out and enjoy in this list, if you have, I have done my job so far. if not. I got a lot more to show you.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »
It's definitely time I checked out Stolen Babies. Also, the new Pig Destroyer album fucking rules.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 12:23:39 AM »
I wasn't aware Suspyre and Swallow the Sun had new albums.  And today is payday.  To quote Stimpy, "Oh joy!"

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »
It's definitely time I checked out Stolen Babies. Also, the new Pig Destroyer album fucking rules.

Both are killer albums.

I wasn't aware Suspyre and Swallow the Sun had new albums.  And today is payday.  To quote Stimpy, "Oh joy!"

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
Also, the new Pig Destroyer album fucking rules.
This we can agree on  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »
Great to see some appreciation for Night Flight Orchestra, really terrific album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 07:35:49 PM »
And here comes the next 100 album....not all at once of course.

101.) Dethklok- Dethalbum III

The great thing about Dethklok as a real band and not just the animated series, Metalocalypse, is that musically they have only gotten more Melodic and have written better songs with each album. Skyhunter may be the best Dethklok song to date. Mayne will disagree with me on this whole review but it's the best Dethklok album to date. It's not just about being funny and brutal, although the first Track, I Ejaculate Fire, how can you NOT laugh at that? haha. If Queen ever wrote Death Metal, they would be Dethklok. This is a MDM masterpiece in my eyes.

9/10

102.) Asphyx- Deathammer

Martin Van Drunen continues on as the modern day Chuck Schuldiner. Whether it is Asphyx, Hail Of Bullets, or any other project that he does, the spirit of Death is alive and well in him, and Deathhammer. This is absolutely one of the best death Metal albums of the year, but if you already knew about Asphyx, that should have been o surprise. Everything you could want in a Death metal album is one here without any of the stereotypes that makes the genre sometimes boring. Check it out for yourself....AWESOME!

9/10

103.) Breach The Void- The Monochromatic Era

Basicialy carrying on in the way i wish Sybreed would have stayed (although their direction is cool too) This is how the Cyber/Modern Metal sound should sound. It is somewhat a throwback to 2003-2004 when this style was the most popular with bands like Sybreed and Mnemic. The drumming is absolutely outstanding as is the songwriting. The vocals seem a bit young, and I do mean that in a good way, they are only going to improve with age. If you like a little cyber or industrial in your Melodic Death metal, pick this one up, it's pretty damn awesome.

8/10

104.) Monuments- Gnosis

Another band that fits into the Djent sound. This is one band that I think has a lot of creativity in their sound. It does have some high pitched vocals that people don't like, especially with Periphery, but when it comes to this Genre, I rarely if ever have had a problem with it. In Post Hardcore and Pop Rock is annoys me to no end, but it fits here. A very fair Assessment is that Monuments is the British Periphery (which is quite funny as 1/3 of Periphery is now from England.) If you like Djent, Math Metal, Prog Metal, Check it out. I can dig it.

7/10

105.) Minus The Bear- Infinity Overload

A band that did start from the ashes of the Mathcore band Botch, to become one of the biggest Indie bands around. Quite a switch eh? since the album Planet Of Ice, in my humble opinion, these guys have only gotten better and better. They have found their niche and are sticking with it, and they don't need to change from it. While it takes a lot for me to like Indie Rock, there is more to it than that with Minus The Bear. There is Prog and Alternative Rock and very tasteful keyboards in the right spots. I love these guys and I think fans of Alternative Prog should love Minus he Bear as well. it will be right up your alley.

9/10

106.) Dordeduh- Dar de Duh

A very....strange album. It's Folk Metal, with clean vocals for the most part. It's very....actually I'm not really sure what I expected from this album at all. It's not bad by any means, but it's an album that does need to click with you It somewhat reminds me of what would happen with Eluveitie and Opeth made an album together. it sounds like it should be a killer combination, and it is, but it's gotta dig into your brain first for it to be appreciate it. So give it a few spins before passing judgement. it's pretty epic stuff.

7/10

107.) Shinedown- Amaryllis

....So very long gone are the days where Shinedown writes music that I would ever care about. This album proves that point even more. It feels like there is no integrity in this album at all, just a lot of cliche's. the music is performed good there is no denying that but its one of the most empty albums I've hard all year, which really sucks because I was a big Shinedown fan at one point. Oh well, at least there is still Good Radio Hard Rock still around.

3/10

108.) Cloudkicker- Fade

Another album that was in my Top 20 for quite some time. Cloudkicker is one of those types of bands where if they incorporated vocals, they would be the biggest band around....BUT, if that were to happen the music would feel so empty. Cloudkicker, now a full band took on the 90's grunge era as a big inspiration for this album, which was a pretty cool choice as it adds a lot of influences that weren't already in the Cloudkicker sound. While I do think the days of over the top Meshuggah lovin' is gone from Cloudkicker, that is all good with me as they are writing music from their own creation and making it just awesome. It's heavy, it's beautiful, it's Cloudkicker. I want nothing else.

9/10

109.) Moonloop- Deeply From The Earth

If you can't guess where the name of the band comes from....you are not a Prog fan. And yes there is a heavy influence from Porcupine Tree, but even a BIGGER influence from Opeth. In a way this is what I was hoping Storm Corrosion would have sounded like. It's insanely brilliant Progressive Death Metal. I really hope these guys can do a tour around these parts one day, if they get big enough. this would be huge opening for Opeth, or Agalloch and the likes. I heavily recommend this one.

9/10

110.) New Death Sensation- ...New Horizons...

If Animals As Leaders made Post Rock instead of Progressive Metal. A fantastic instrumental release that refuses to get boring. This has been a favorite album of mine this year since the second I finished the first listen, this is insanely good stuff for Prog and Post fans alike. Nothing is overdone hear, everything is purely tasteful and done right. Definitely check it out.

9/10

111.) Borknagar- Urd

Wanna know the secret to making your Progressive Black Metal band not suck? You make ICS Vortex your clean vocalist. This band has been on absolute FIRE since ICS Vortex has joined full time. You need no further proof than hearing hearing Urd. While yes, it is predominately Black Metal with Progressive Metal thrown in for good measure, like Enslaved, the clean vocals make it so much more epic and enjoyable than it already was. This is bound to get your girlfriend who loves Hot Topic very giggity upon first listen. Don't believe me? try it for yourself!

9/10

112.) Screaming Savior- Infinity

Chinese Symphonic Black Metal....it's just as sexy as it sounds. Lots of foreign to American ears instrumentation. Just like how everyone goes gaga (yeah I'm bringing that back, screw Lady Gaga) over CthoniC, this is how people should be for Screaming Savior. If they ever get the means to tour America they will blow people's heads off with their sheer brilliance. If you are an open minded music fan, listen to this on their bandcamp page, you will not regret it!

8/10

113.) Sylencer- A Lethal Dose Of Truth

The Thrash/Heavy Metal debut of the year. Pretty much all the biggest names in Metal have some kind of guest spot on this album, much too long to list without forgetting someone important. For a debut album this is beyond fantastic. There is so much dynamics and musicality amongst the pure heavy metal that is showcased. If they ever make this a full time project, this is the kind of band that should be opening for Metallica and getting the crowd going crazy! Do I even need to say if you are a Heavy metal fan that you need to check this out Immediately? well if I do....CHECK IT OUT NOW!!!

9/10

114.) Barren Earth- The Devil's Resolve

The Finnish Progressive Death Metal Supergroup is back with their second album. This is also sadly an album that I haven't been able to give it's fair share as it was released pretty damn early in the year. It is fantastic from start to finish and exactly what you would want from a supergroup like this. Progressive Doom Folk it's all there in the Opeth-y vibe they have. I simply love it, and you should too!

8/10

115.) If Trees Could Talk- Red Forest

If you need a textbook definition of heavy Post Rock, it's If Trees Could Talk. A very nature inspired Post Rock band that knows how to use dynamics to move you and shake you to the core. While yes every album from these guys does kinda have this same vibe, I think they have done it the best here. Excellent production and songwriting which creates a very surreal atmosphere. Its great stuff that should be heard.

7/10

116.) Holy Knights- Between Daylight and Pain

Epic Power Metal mixed with Thrash, no it's not Iced Earth or Demons and Wizards but it is pretty damn cool. it fits the mood when you want something thrashy in your Power Metal. A Blind Guardian meets Rhapsody vibe that works very well. While there has been better power Metal this year. Its really hard for me to knock this album, because there is no need to. These guys will only get bigger and better!

7/10

117.) West Of Hell- Spiral Empire

Miss the days of Painkiller style Heavy Metal? Well first of all bands inspired by Painkiller have never left and second it's featured very heavily by the band West Of Hell. Like other bands similar like Cage and 3 inches of Blood, Its a very good lethal does of Power Metal and Heavy Metal like Judas Priest laid down the foundation for so many years ago. Get your spiked leather jacket on and your Halford style sunglasses and of course some PBR to drink and party to Spiral Empire, it's an 80s throwback for the ages.

7/10

118.) De Profoundus- The Emptiness Within

A band that leaves me scratching my head in some ways, while I headbang, not a good combination to actually try, haha. Like a band I discovered and loved a few years ago, Wrath and Rapture, It feels somewhat like a hodgepodge of Metal going on in an epic battle metal type vibe. Lots of Progressive Thrash Folk, Black Metal going on but not done in a way you have heard before, or at least not often. Maybe if Mikael Akerfeldt back when he wasn't sick of Death metal joined up with Enslaved for an album? I think that is a very fair assessment. While this is actually much easier to digest than i have lead on, It is pretty damn progressive in the fact that it doesn't give you what you expect. Give it a shot if you can dig any of what I have said above!

8/10

119.) Don't Worry I'm A Doctor- Create. Divide. Consume

About one of the few if only Death metal albums I will ever enjoy. I had the honor of playing with these guys during my last REAL show back in November 2010 and i became a fan of the band ever since. It's not your typical only breakdowns and pig squeals Deathcore, it's much like the new Whitechapel album where it takes the idea of Deathcore and expands on it while still keeping that core element. It's not my favorite genre by any stretch of the imagination, but it is very cool stuff and if you want some Smart, Brutal Deathcore, support the local Minnesota scene and check these guys out!

7/10

120.) Axel Rudi Pell- Circle Of The Oath

80's inspired Heavy Metal with the element of Power Metal in the background. Axel does it again. I really dig this a lot. Its much more laid back and straight forward then your power Metal albums, but much heavier then 80's Glam Rock and Hard Rock. it's a good throwback to the days of your (or however it is spelled in this example). Give it a shot if you haven't heard Axel before because you should. And he is the one Axel that is guaranteed not to let you down with a Chinese Democracy.

7/10

20 more albums down. Will I do another 20 tonight? Maybe.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 07:53:35 PM »
Moonloop sounds excellent, I will check that. I'll also try out the new Cloudkicker.
Squ

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
So much of this music sounds awesome. I can't wait to get around to checking more of this stuff out!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 04:16:52 AM »
DO EPICLOUD
I love beautiful things.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 08:32:12 AM »
I don't think that's the point of the thread. Most people will have heard Epicloud anyway and it might very well be in his top 20, in which case it won't show up here.
Squ

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
Well in that case, I'm hoping he dug Gorod that much because I've been waiting to see their album  :metal

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »
Epicloud will be on here. It could be in my top 20, it could be my favorite album of the year. It could be album 121 in the random albums. You'll just have to wait and see.

As for Gorod, they haven't popped up yet, but they will eventually I'm sure.