Author Topic: Zantera's Top 50 The Smashing Pumpkins Songs! (Finished)  (Read 7049 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Zantera's Top 50 The Smashing Pumpkins Songs! (Finished)
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
Hey everyone! This is a thread or shall I say list, that I've been very interested in doing for a while now.
The band may not be the biggest on this forum, but they have quite a group of fans, and I know some people might have heard the name but don't really know the music, so a thread like this one is a good way to introduce people to a new band.
While I did knew about the band and had heard 3 songs before, I didn't get into this band until this year. The songs I had heard were great, and when I finally checked the band out I was blown away by how much I loved it.
So within the course of a few months, this band quickly went up among my favorites, and they're now sitting very comfortable in my top3 favorite bands. (together with Oceansize and Godspeed You Black Emperor if that matters)
All their albums are featured on the list, some more than others, and there's also quite a few B-sides. (though I'll admit that I haven't heard all of them, there's so many!) :)

50. Pale Horse (Oceania)
Starting off the list, we have a song from the latest album; "Pale Horse" from Oceania, which came out earlier this year.
Oceania was sort of a "will they/won't they" album, because the previous efforts were met with mixed feelings. The band broke up in 2000, and when they came back in 2007 with the album "Zeitgeist", it didn't quite live up to what the fans were expecting. Not only that, but the following project called "Teargarden by Kaleidoscope", with the idea of putting out music song by song and focusing more on songs and the EP format than the album also didn't receive the best feedback. Oceania was the return to making an album.
Pale Horse is a song that focuses a lot on a very dreamy guitar-pattern, which has a very oriental-sound to it. The song has a very simple structure and is very mellow. It doesn't build up to a huge climax or give you a lot of tempo changes, instead it takes a more "laid back" approach.
I think the key of liking this song lies in the guitar-pattern that I mentioned earlier. Right when I heard it the first time, it grabbed me and was one of those instant hooks, and I just loved it right away. I've seen pretty mixed feelings towards this song, but to me it is one of the better ones on this album, and the guitar-parts is a big reason.

49. Spaced (Pisces Iscariot)
Next up we have "Spaced" from the B-Sides collection; Pisces Iscariot, which came out in 1994. Initially it would be leftovers from the highly successful breakthrough album, Siamese Dream which came out two years earlier, and while it was very much a B-sides album, the reception was great, and many fans consider it a studio-album, at least in terms of quality.
Spaced is a very odd tune. Is it a real song? Is it just a kind of outro? Different opinions I guess. One of the biggest strengths of Pisces Iscariot as an album is that while it's a collection of songs put together, it doesn't necessarily feel like it. It does actually feel cohesive as an album, and this song works perfectly at closing the album.
Spaced is a 2 ½ minute short track that features no singing and very minimal instrumentation. There's a very chilled out tune being played with some talking over it, creating a very special atmosphere.
This is a very unique song in their discography and also very unique on this list, but I love it. Amazing closer, great atmosphere, and it's just very haunting in a way.

48. I Am One (Gish)
First song from the first album, "I Am One" opens up the wonderful debut-album; Gish.
The album starts off with some drums, setting up for the guitars which comes in soon after. The song is very charming in the sense that it feels quite unpolished in one way, a band trying to find their sound, but it's also fairly representative to how the band sounded at the time, a sound that became very successful.
The song also features a really nice bassline that gets some time to shine about halfway through before the guitar-solo kicks in, and Billy Corgan delivers the lyrics. One of the better songs from the debut for sure.

47. Zero (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
First song on the list from my favorite Pumpkins-album, "Zero" was a huge hit-song, and one of the main-singles from the huge double-album, Mellon Collie.
Zero is one of the heavier hits from the band, and displays the heavy side of The Smashing Pumpkins. The intro-riff is really badass and very catchy.
While the song is only 2:40 long, it's just a very strong and cohesive tune all the way through. Most fans would rank this much higher, but the band has so many awesome tunes, and I feel comfortable about it being around this spot.

46. Today (Siamese Dream)
Together with Mellon Collie, Siamese Dream is considered the biggest album the band put out, and this song is one of the biggest hits from it, and also the first song from the album to be featured on this list.
You may recognize it from Guitar Hero: World Tour, or just hearing it from a radio channel somewhere, it was a huge hit in the 90's for sure.
The song is mostly mellow but features some electric guitars as well. Lyrically this song brings IT.
"Today is the greatest day I've never known
Can't wait for tomorrow I might not have that long
I'll tear my heart out before I get out
"
A very catchy tune that is pretty uplifting. A Pumpkins-classic, and I might get shit for not having it in my top15, but hey - it's still on the list! ;) And it's a damn fine tune.

Should be able to squeeze in 5 more tomorrow.
But yeah, comments, feedback and other stuff is appreciated.  :hat

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:54:39 PM by Zantera »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 50 The Smashing Pumpkins Songs!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »
Will be following! :tup Zero and Today are particularly awesome songs. I love the gentle guitar intro to Today and how it carries the adolescent misery throughout.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:24:11 PM »
Haven't followed their last two albums but SD and MCATIS are classics.  Zero and Today would be higher for me, a lot higher.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
I hope to see lots of Machina.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 03:20:49 AM »
Thought I would update with the next 5, and then hopefully (if I have time) I'll have another update for tonight!

Zander @ Yeah I agree with Today. The gentle guitar parts in the song are really good, and the whole feel of the song is nice.
wolfking @ I agree with SD and MCATIS being classics. Maybe, or should I say hopefully, this list might inspire you to check out what you already haven't. :)
Jamariquay @ It's kinda hard to define what "lots" means, but you will see songs from both Machina and Machina II.  :hat

45. Glass (Machina II: The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music)
Speaking of Machina, here's the song on the list to come out of the Machina-sessions, "Glass" is the opener on Machina II. This tune is one of the shorter and more straightforward songs to come out of the band's discography, and the shortest song to make it to this list, clocking in at 1:54.
This is probably the most "Punk" the band has gone, lots of energy in this very fast-paced song. Very nice riffs and the chorus about Billy Corgan shattering glass is very catchy as well.
While not one of my absolute favorites from the Machina-albums, it was one of the songs that clicked right away, and I still consider it to be a very special song. I need to listen to Machina II some more though.

44. Bring the Light (Zeitgeist)
First song on my list from the highly criticized album, Zeitgeist. I actually really like this album myself, it's not AS good as the band's best work, but certainly holds up fairly good, and has some great tunes on it. Doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.
This song is from the second half of the album, towards the end. Right away when I first heard it, there was just this quality to it which stuck in my head. Some nice guitar-work, and the song is not as heavy as some of the other tunes on the album.
I really love the guitars during the chorus; "LIGHT - BRING THE LIGHT" and the guitar-solo is very interesting as well.
Quite melodic coming from Zeitgeist, but this song is really nice.

43. Crush (Gish)
Next up we have a very melodic song, featuring some gorgeous guitars, and feels like a very typical Pumpkins-song. I think the guitars in this song is a good example of why the band is so good, might be a fairly normal "pattern" but the way it's played and how it functions in the song - that is just amazing.
The song is one of the softer songs on the album, focusing mostly on a wonderful bass-line and the strumming guitars. It's a fairly simple tune, but it really grabs me and captivates me. One of the early standouts on Gish, and still one of my favorite songs from the album.

42. Daphne Descends (Adore)
Adore makes it's way into my list! Adore is another album that has gotten a fair share of haters, and I would say it's an album that people either dislike, or loves. I'm in the latter group. I don't think it's quite up there with the very best this band has put out, but it's still an excellent album, and you have to consider the fact that they started experimenting a bit more with this album.
"Daphne Descends" is a song that perfectly sums up the album's sound. Very electronic and dark, but still very much Alternative Rock in it. I can really see why the band went this way, because Billy Corgan has a voice that really fits with the more darker sound, and haunting soundscapes. 
All in all a very solid song from Adore, and one of the better ones for sure.

41. Rotten Apples (The Aeroplane Flies High)
Next up we have another B-Side, and the B-Sides collection; The Aeroplane Flies High makes it's first appearance on this list. "Rotten Apples" comes from the Tonight, Tonight-disc, and it later gave name to a Greatest Hits-album by the band, which was called simply: "Rotten Apples".
It's another more mellow song from the band, featuring some simply acoustic guitars and some haunting vocals from Billy. It's a fairly short tune, clocking in at just above 3 minutes, but it's a very good one. If I feel slightly down or sad, this song is great to put on.
The Aeroplane Flies High in general is often overlooked, but I really recommend it. Took me a while before I checked it out myself, but it's songs written around the Mellon Collie-period, so if you like that album, this one is worth checking out as well.
I can already say that we'll see more songs up the list from this one. 

More songs tonight probably.  :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »
More updates! Next 5 on the list.  :hat

40. A Girl Named Sandoz (Pisces Iscariot)
At number 40 we have one of the more groovy tracks from Pisces Iscariot, "A Girl Named Sandoz" is a song that focuses mainly on electric guitars and some really cool effects.
Some really nice drumwork about halfway through by Jimmy Chamberlin as well, combined with some really sick guitar-playing by Billy. To put it short, this is just a very simple and fun song. Instrumentally it's awesome.
One of the highlights from the second half of Pisces Iscariot for sure.

39. Dross (Machina II: The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music)
Next up we have a song from Machina II. Dross is a fairly straight-forward tune that focuses on a very groovy guitar-riff that kicks you in the face right from the start. Lyrically the song has some very memorable parts, especially this one:
"You say I'm tragic
I say it's the magic, kid
You say I'm lucky
We all know its in the cards
"
The song is about 3 ½ minutes long, but is one of the standouts, and it's a really awesome tune.

38. Neverlost (Zeitgeist)
After two slightly heavier tracks with lots of focus on distortion, we now get to a more mellow song. "Neverlost" is one of the more melodic tracks on Zeitgeist, and has that feeling of melancholy that the Pumpkins do so well.
The guitar-pattern is pretty simple sounding, but very effective and it captivates my interest 100%.
"I've seen the film, I know the place I'm neverlost, there's just one way across.. I'm neverlost"
Those lines really move me. There's something sad about the song, but it's also quite uplifting. I can't quite put words on it, but the song is really special. One of the better from Zeitgeist.

37. Tear (Adore)
Another dark and gloomy track taken from Adore. "Tear" offers an insight into the more electronic side of The Smashing Pumpkins, and it really captivates the album's sound within ~6 minutes.
There's something really dark yet catchy about the main guitar-part, the one that is played in the intro and later during the chorus. I feel like it reminds me of a song I heard as a child on the radio, but I can't recall which song that was, because it was such a long time ago. Perhaps it was in fact this song, but I'm not sure if it was ever a single. My memory fails me.  :lol
But yeah, a wonderful track. Lots of my positive feelings towards it is because I connect it to a certain time-period of my childhood, and hearing the song takes me back 13 years. It's cool.

36. Galapogos (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
Next up, another song from Mellon Collie, the first disc to be precise.
"Galapogos" starts off very mellow with the sound of a strumming guitar. Billy's soothing voice soon comes in, and the combination together with the guitar is just beautiful.
"carve out your heart for keeps in an old oak tree
and hold me for goodbyes-and whispered lullabyes
and tell me i am still
the man i'm supposed to be
"
Lyrically the song is really good. Some really strong and memorable parts. The song slowly builds up, and finally explodes in a nice climax, and the outro is really superb as well.
All in all a damn solid song, and I know many people rank it much higher.  :angel:

More to come!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
Love Tear and Galapagos. Galapagos is such a relaxing, gorgeous song. It's a good precursor to the streamlined alt. rock of the next track Muzzle.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:16:03 PM »
Z, have you ever rearranged Mellon Collie in the order of the vinyl track listing? I like the flow much better than the CD version.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:10:59 PM »
Following along Z but honestly you could put about anything in this list at any spot and I could see how one might list it in that spot (only slightly stretching it there  ;D ). I'm just that big a fan.

I also really enjoyed Zeitgeist and think it caught way more flack than necessary. The Pumpkins cover so much ground musically that sometimes they alienate some of the fans cause they take it in an area the fans might be uncomfortable with. I believe that was partially what happened there.

Anyhow cool list so far!  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 03:57:39 AM »
Nice to see some comments! :)

Zander@ Yeah, I agree both about the song being relaxing and how well it fits before Muzzle, they compliment each other very well.

orcus@ I'm a bit ashamed to say that I haven't. But seeing as the reissue is coming in a month, if the new vinyl has the same tracklisting as the old one, then I will hear it. If not, then I'll sit down and make a playlist out of it one day so I get to hear it.

WebRaider@ Yeah I get what you mean, I think the band has so many great songs that some are bound to not make it to the list sadly. Hopefully my list won't disappoint though. ;)

Continuing on with 5 more on the list:

35. Try, Try, Try (Machina: The Machines of God)
First song from part 1 of Machina to make it onto this list. The concept around the album includes fictional versions of the band-members, about a rockstar called Zero (based on Billy) who hears the voice of God and renames his band to: "The Machines of God". I'm not 100% on every detail or even sure if that was the best description, but I find the concept very interesting, and while I haven't full dived into it yet, I'm really fascinated by it.
This song is a more melodic song from the album, and one of the more ballady-tunes. Starts off with some nice piano before it starts to build up towards a nice and catchy chorus; "Try to hold on".
A very solid tune, and one of the first songs that really got stuck in my head after hearing Machina. Shows the catchier side of the band, as well as the more softer side.

34. Set the Ray to Jerry (The Aeroplane Flies High)
Next up we have another B-Side, from the "1979"-disc of The Aeroplane Flies High.
First noticeable part of this song for me is the bassline which is really nice, but still fairly subtle. The first half of the song features very minimal electric guitars, just some picking in the background, and that way, the bass really comes through much clearer, and sets the tone for the song together with Billy's singing.
Jimmy Chamberlin really shines on the drums as well, they're quite subtle in the first half of the song, but as it goes on they kinda progress, and becomes angrier and more intense. Quality-wise this could have easily made it onto Mellon Collie, but it ended up here instead, and I think it works either way. Mellon Collie is still brilliant, and now this way, The Aeroplane Flies High has another really strong tune on it.  ;)

33. Mayonaise (Siamese Dream)
What is this?! "Mayonaise" already?! And we're not in the top30 yet. Putting this song this low might upset people, I know several Pumpkins-fans who would place this in their top5, or top10 at least.
In a band where Billy Corgan have always been the main-writer and pulling most of the strings (in a Steven Wilson-kind of way), this is one of the exceptions where he didn't write the song all by himself, but instead co-wrote it with James Iha. There has been a lot of discussions about this song, who wrote what, and who wrote the most? A lot of people have talked about the song and how it's a shame that James Iha is no longer in the band because of how good this song is, and Billy has spoken out about how Iha only came up with the basic idea, but that he crafted most of the song himself. The mystery continues.
The song itself is a nice little mix of acoustic and electric guitars. Kinda like "Today", the song shifts through mellow passages and more electric guitars in other sections. Lyrically the song is really amazing, and one part that sticks out to me is:
"No more promise, no more sorrow
No longer will I follow
Can anybody hear me
I just want to be me
"

32. Annie-Dog (Adore)
While Adore has been mixed with different feelings from fans, this is a song I've almost only seen positive things about. Perhaps it's because the song isn't as electronic or dark (musically) and sounds a bit more like Mellon Collie than anything else on the album, I can only speculate.
The song focuses almost 100% on a piano-line that's played throughout the song, with Billy singing some very interesting lyrics over it. The drums also adds something special to the mix, adding another rhythm.
A very catchy song with some of the more odd lyrics on the album (IMO), but it's very scaled down compared to many of the other songs. Not as layered, and quite simple in terms of structure.
One of the highlights on Adore for sure.

31. Doomsday Clock (Zeitgeist)
Next up we have the powerhouse, "Doomsday Clock", known for being the opening track on Zeitgeist, but also being featured in the blockbuster movie Transformers. (though an instrumental version)
This song shows the heavier side of Pumpkins, some groovy electric guitars and some really sweet drumming from Jimmy Chamberlin. While the song has some really nice guitar-riffs I really like, the chorus is a big reason of why I like it as much as I do. It's just really really catchy, and I've had it stuck in my head since I first Zeitgeist.
"Please don't stop, It's lonely at the top.. these lonely days, will they ever stop? This Doomsday Clock, tickin' in my heart, not broken"

Will have another update up tonight. :)

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:48:52 AM »
Meant to reply before about "Dross". I love that tune and really enjoy some of the others off Machina II. It's unfortunate IMO that it was released in the quality that it is. I suppose some consider it as a certain charm and grittiness of that collection but it really could stand to be cleaned up and given a proper release.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »
Mayonaise!  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 12:24:50 PM »
Updating with the next 5 on the list. :)

30. The Last Song (The Aeroplane Flies High)
"This is the last song
This is the last song I'll sing for you
This is the last song
This is the last song I can give you
"
Billy delivers these lyrics with such passion, but no.. it's neither the last song on this album, or the last Pumpkins song. Still, I can't seem to shake the feeling that this would make one fine closing-song played as the encore at a concert.
There are several songs in the Pumpkins discography that does the piano+acoustic guitar combo so good, and this song is among the better ones. So much emotion, so much power in it. It's really quite a moving song, classic melancholy which the Pumpkins do so well. Just an amazing song.

29. A Song For a Son (Teargarden by Kaleidoscope)
Teargarden By Kaleidoscope is a project that has been getting very mixed reviews. I'm still not sure how I would rank it, or how I would describe it, but while some of the material on it might be considered uneven or mediocre, this song is nothing else than a really great tune.
Like the previous song on the list, "A Song For a Son" is a ballad-tune focusing mostly on gentle keyboards and acoustic guitars. I've seen a lot of people dismiss this project (and the two EPs available), but I think everyone should give this song a listen. It's a really fine tune that shows us again what a great songwriter Billy is.
While the song starts off fairly chilled out, there's some really good guitars at around 3 minutes into the song when the solos kick in. Some really nice electric guitars right there. Might be a weird pick on the list, but I love this song.

28. Where Boys Fear to Tread (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
Next up we have the first song from the second disc of Mellon Collie. I remember the first time I listened to the album thinking: "Man, that first disc was really really great. I wonder what the second will bring" *starts disc 2* "HOLY SHIT!"
This song features some of the most hypnotizing and groovy guitars in the band's whole catalogue, and while the band may have songs with more distortion, the main-riff in this song is one of the heaviest things I've heard from an Alternative Rock-band.
The main-riff may sound simple, but it's extremely effective and just makes me want to throw stuff around me. If I ever get around to learning guitar more seriously, this is a song I would want to learn, definitely.
An early favorite on the second disc, and while there are songs on the disc I rank higher, this song will always have a special place in my heart. DAT RIFF.

27. Whir (Pisces Iscariot)
At place 27 we find another B-Side from the lovely Pisces Iscariot. "Whir" is a lovely mix of acoustic guitars and soaring melodies. I feel like the song is a more happy song from the band's earlier catalogue, and quite fun to sing along to as well.
"Whir yourself around
Just to fall back down
Whir yourself around
"
One of the more "simple" songs on the album, and with a fairly straight forward approach, but it works so darn well. Towards the end of the song the acoustic guitars kinda change direction a bit, and at around 3:31 the acoustic guitars kinda remind me of Opeth a bit. I can't think of the exact song, but reminds me a bit of the acoustic guitars in one of their songs.
Cool song.

26. Rhinoceros (Gish)
The big hit-song from the debut album, "Rhinoceros" is often the fan favorite from this album. Displaying the more melodic side with strumming guitars and Billy's voice singing the verses.
The song displays trademark-Pumpkins guitars, the guitars have always been one of the big unique things about the band IMO, and this song displays that you don't have to be loud in order to be good, even if the band has quite a few tracks that are loud.
The song is not calm all the way through because it goes up a bit during the chorus, and features a really nice solo-section about halfway through the song. Guitar-solo is groovy as hell considering it's from the debut album of a band trying to find their sound.
It's on it's way to become my favorite song on the album, but it isn't quite yet. I won't spoil more, but you'll notice. ;)

Will be back with more tomorrow! :)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 12:32:51 PM »
Mayonaise might be my all-time favorite Pumpkins song. The portion you quoted is so gripping and touching in a way that no other song I know of can accomplish.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 03:13:57 PM »
Song For A Son is pretty great.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 04:02:19 AM »
Zander@ I get totally what you mean. If I remake my top 50 in a year it might be much higher, for now there are a few songs on SD I like more. But it's really an emotional tune, and it's really moving.

Continuing on with the list... :)

25. Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
"DESPITE ALL MY RAGE I AM STILL JUST A RAT IN A CAGE" is the classic phrase which Billy almost screams out during the chorus of this big hit-song, from Mellon Collie.
The song mixes calmer and more subdued guitars during the verses with distortion and heaviness for the chorus, something the band does on several tunes, which has become a big part of their sound.
I first heard this song when I played Guitar Hero 5 a few years ago, but I didn't recognize that it was the Pumpkins. I had previously heard both "Cherub Rock" and "Today" through the Guitar Hero-games, but this song was different somehow, I can't quite put my finger on it.
But yeah, one of their better hit-songs for sure. Despite being fairly straight forward I think it offers some interesting parts, the calm section before hell breaks loose towards the end is really cool. A very catchy song, and one of the early standouts on the first disc of Mellon Collie.

24. To Sheila (Adore)
Next up we have another song from the Adore album. "To Sheila" is one of the most scaled down songs on the album, and one of the most scaled down songs the band had done to this point. It's actually the opener on the album, and that is quite bold considering previous openers (I Am One, Cherub Rock, and not counting the theme-song on MC, Tonight Tonight) had all been fairly uptempo/layered/attention-grabbing right away. I guess the only exception is "Soothe" from Pisces Iscariot which is also quite melodic and calm, ballad-type of song.
This song is just a very beautiful tune. The gentle use of instrumentation which is kept fairly minimal during the chorus, with Billy singing the lyrics very passionate. When the chorus kicks in, there's really goosebumps in the air.
The way Billy sings "You make me feel" is really haunting. Personally I'm still not sure if it should be the opening song, but if we disregard where it is on the album, it's just a brilliant song. One of the best ones from Adore, and a perfect display of the Pumpkins doing a calm song, and doing it so good.

23. Geek U.S.A (Siamese Dream)
Let me introduce you to one of the best drummers (IMO); Jimmy Chamberlin. He has always been a major part of the Pumpkins-sound. He may not be around anymore, but listening to the albums he plays on, you really get blown away by his skill.
This song features some of his best work from the early days, not only is the song a beast in terms of the drumming, but it also features some really sweet guitars. The guitar solo was actually at number 54 when Guitar World made a top 100 list over the "greatest guitar solos", and the drumming in the song has often been very praised as well. It speaks for itself.
The song is really uptempo and fairly heavy, but offers a middlesection that is more calm and slow. The song perfectly displays the sound of Siamese Dream as an album, and the best side of the Pumpkins. Towards the end there's a really groovy bassline and soon one of the most hypnotizing riffs on the album kicks in. The outro is "in your face"-heavy and the combination of drums and guitars is a winning one.
The song was also covered by Between the Buried and Me on their album "The Anatomy of", cool stuff.

22. Stand Inside Your Love (Machina: The Machines of God)
At number 22 we find the big hit-song from Machina, "Stand Inside Your Love".
The song kicks off with some captivating drums which are soon followed by electric guitars. While the verses seemed a bit forgettable at first to me, the chorus is strong enough to bring a roof down. Easily one of the band's strongest choruses not only from that late era before they broke up, but from their entire catalogue. The verses have since grown on me a lot, but the chorus is still what really makes this song so special to me.
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love
"
Such a fantastic song. Emotional, and also catchy enough that you'll go around singing along to it.

21. Spaceboy (Siamese Dream)
Last song in this update, is IMO one of the band's most underrated songs. I think a lot of people agree with me about the song being really good, but I don't think many would rank it quite this high.
"Spaceboy" is a really gorgeous acoustic-song that also features a wonderful mellotron. Lyrically I think this is one of the highlights on the album, and one of their most emotional songs.
The way Billy sings "I wanna go home" over and over, and eventually for the outro it's changed to "We won't be long", the way he delivers these lyrics sends shivers down my spine. Just a very emotional song, and now as I'm sitting here listening to it again, I might say that this could even have been top15, or top10. Right now I feel comfortable with it at nr 21, but it will most likely climb a few spots more, because it keeps growing every time I hear it.
A simple song, but one of the best.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »
Next update!

20. 1979 (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
Starting off the top 20, we have one of the band's biggest hit-songs; "1979" from the second disc of Mellon Collie.
Mainly acoustic and with a sweet bassline, the chorus is one of the catchiest ones the band has made.
It's kinda tricky to describe why I like this song so much, it's just one of those well-written and simply great songs, and it's not by accident that the song was such a hit-song, and got played on the radio 24/7.
To me it displays the sort of confidence that Mellon Collie stands for, making a double album at the time was a very risky thing to do, and this song (like the album) just says: "we don't care, it will work out in the end", and I just love that. The song is brilliant.

19. Oceania (Oceania)
Next up, the title-track from the latest album; Oceania. One of the band's longer songs, and the album-epic clocking in at over 9 minutes.
The song starts off with some creepy keyboards that remind me a bit of the Adore/Machina-era Pumpkins. Soon the bassline kicks in, and Billy starts singing. Lyrically I really like this song. It showed me that Billy can still write really good lyrics, not that I ever doubted him, but it was still pretty impressive.
Apart from being catchy and well written, the chorus is really darn catchy and has that "epic" quality to it.
Soon the song reaches an acoustic-section which is quite well written and very charming in a weird way. I really enjoy this part as well. The song later builds up towards the outro, which to some people might sound out of place. To be honest, while I like the last 2 minutes or so, I can see the point that they might not "fit" with the song. To be fair that might be the only thing keeping me from ranking the song higher, because I really love it otherwise.

18. Cupid De Locke (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
Cupid hath pulled back his sweetheart's bow
To cast divine arrows into her soul
To grab her attention swift and quick
Or morrow the marrow of her bones be thick
With turpentine kisses and mistaken blows

One of the more dreamy tunes from Mellon Collie. Instrumentally I think this song is gorgeous, the mix of instruments creates a very "dreamy" atmosphere, and there are so many hooks to be found in the melodies throughout the song.
One of the biggest highlights on the first disc of Mellon Collie for me, especially in the latter half of the disc. The atmosphere is the best part of this song, too bad the song is not longer.

17. Cherub Rock (Siamese Dream)
*Drum roll*
*Strumming guitars*
*Bassline*
*Distortion kicks in*
"Freak out, and give in. Doesn't matter what you believe in"
First Smashing Pumpkins song I ever heard. That was back when I got Guitar Hero 3 for christmas a couple of years ago. While I always enjoyed the song when I played it in the game, I didn't really think about checking the band out until fairly recently.
The song is the first song on the classic album "Siamese Dream" and became a big hit-song. There's so many aspects of this song that I love, but the electric guitars is probably the biggest reason. Lyrically the song has some great parts as well.
I also love the drums during the sort of build-up before the guitar-solo kicks in, some great stuff right there. Then again during the outro, the drums really shine.
Amazing song.

16. United States (Zeitgeist)
THOSE DRUMS.
For number 16 we have yet another epic from the band's catalogue, "United States" was sort of the centrepiece-track on Zeitgeist, clocking in at 9:53 minutes long.
First off, the thing that blew my mind the most about this. I watched the Zeitgeist-making of DVD. And it is revealed that Jimmy Chamberlin plays the drums in this song in ONE take. That's right - ONE take. There's so much room for error when you play drums for almost 10 minutes, but he just nails it. He's one of my favorite drummers for sure, and if I had to pick out a few songs to showpoint his skill, this one would be among them.
The song has a very groovy build-up to it, the guitars and the hypnotic drums in particular has a very crushing effect. The chorus is very catchy and it's hard for me to not sing along to it. "REVOLUTION, REVOLUTION.."
This song is not only my favorite Zeitgeist-song, but it's also the perfect proof of how kickass the album can be. People often overlook it or hate it, but this song is one of their best, and it's just EPIC.

More tomorrow! Top 15 left ;)

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
Jimmy Chamberlin is a beast. The new guy isn't bad at all imo but JC was a standout throughout the bands history.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »
I agree. I quite like Mike on drums, and if I hadn't heard any of Jimmy's stuff I'd still be quite impressed.
But after knowing what Jimmy has done with the band, Mike will have a hard time lifting up to the same level. Still, he has the talent. :)
More songs!

15. Snail (Gish)
Continuing the list with my favorite song from Gish actually. "Snail" is a gem from the second half of the debut-album, and for me personally, the big highlight on the album. (even though there are plenty of other great songs as well)
Musically the song has a very interesting build-up, it starts off kinda calm and slow, but as the song progresses both the drums and guitars kinda gets heavier and more aggressive.
While the first half of the song is really great, it's in the second half the song really shines for me. Around 3:30 is when the outro-melody starts to get played, at first it's mostly gentle guitars and a quite calm feel to it, but it soon starts to build-up to an almost explosion-like climax. There are also some really fantastic drums during the outro, that works really well with Billy's singing and the sweet guitar riffs.
And then the song just ends.

14. Hummer (Siamese Dream)
At number 14 we have another personal favorite of mine; "Hummer" from Siamese Dream. I feel like this song is often overlooked when people mention the awesome songs from this album, and it's a shame really, because this tune is really sweet.
Clocking in at almost 7 minutes long, this is one of the longest songs on the album, and also one of the best songs on the album. It features some beautiful guitars during the verses, quite gentle melodies are played along with Billy's singing. Like in many other Pumpkins-songs, it's during and around the chorus when the distortion of the guitars comes in more, and the song rises above everything else.
One thing that kinda threw me off with this song from the first listen, was the outro in particular. The outro features the main-melody being sort of guitar-picked gently without any singing to it, a moment that felt very Post-Rock to me, though I doubt that was anything they intended.
Still, the outro is really beautiful and adds a lot of magic to this song.

13. Obscured (Pisces Iscariot)
"Through these eyes, I deny, and all i see.. Obscured
Through these eyes, Looks like i'm home tonight
What you said made a mess of me
What you said I don't want.. Obscured
"
Next up we have one of my very favorite songs from the Pisces Iscariot-album. Despite what the title suggests, this song is not really that obscure. It's mostly a perfect showcase of an acoustic song with captivating melodies.
The song has a very special atmosphere to it, and everytime I listen to the song I just get sucked into it. Very haunting and moving, but also a very catchy song.
Not much else to say really, awesome song. Probably a bit high on my list compared to others since I haven't seen much love for it. But it's awesome.

12. The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right) (The Aeroplane Flies High)
Another epic-song makes its way to this list. "The Aeroplane Flies High" is the title-track from the box-set with the same name, clocking in at ~8 ½ minutes.
The song features some samples of Billy talking, but soon the main guitar-riff kicks in, and holy shit what a riff it is. Heavy enough to crush everything like a tsunami, but like some of the band's other songs the heaviness doesn't come from the riff being fast, instead it's more slow, subdued and face-hitting.
"I'M DISCONNECTED BY YOUR SMILE!" The chorus or what you want to call it.
This song certainly has a very epic-feel to it, and the length of the song is totally worth being so long. It totally holds up well to the band's previous epic-songs, and it's totally deserving of it's place so high on this list.
"And in the heart I know you’re there
And in my heart I know you care
And in my heart I know you're gone
"

11. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
Moving on from one long song til another, "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans" is the longest song on Mellon Collie. At 9:21 it's one of the band's longest and most epic songs from the earlier days.
The song starts off very quiet but soon the gentle guitars comes in together with some very light drumming. The intro slowly starts to build up the main melody, and hints at exploding a few times before doing so at 2:13 when the distortion kicks in, and the song really "starts".
"Without a care in this whole world, Without a care in this life" is one of the catchier choruses on the first disc. It's actually impossible for me not to sing along to it, because it has that effect on me.
The song blends softer verses with heavier guitars during the chorus, and also features some very interesting lyrics.
I almost feel bad for not having this higher though, it is without a doubt top 10 material, but as of now it sits very comfortable just outside of it. Amazing song, and one of the things that showcases a good long song is that it feels shorter than it is, and this song certainly is one of those songs.

Only top 10 to go now  :hat

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 09:25:14 AM »
Curious to see where Quiet, my personal favorite Pumpkins tune, falls on the list.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:08 AM »
I'm not a fan of TSP by any means, but... IMO, Bullet With Butterfly Wings is too low. :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »
Debra @ It's a wonderful song, no doubt. (hence why it was on the list) I know it's higher for some people, but I think being at nr25 is still pretty good considering the band's strong catalogue. :)

Time to enter the top10! I'll post slightly fewer songs per update, but I will try to have longer write-ups.

10. Pinwheels (Oceania)

*Keyboards of light and joy*
*Bassline*
*Guitars*
Possibly one of the most light and positive song (musically) from the band's catalogue, and the standout song on the latest album Oceania, for me at least.
The intro is actually one of my all time favorite intros, and one of the band's best. The way the keyboards interact with the other instruments, and the "melody" that is played between like 1.45 to 2.10 is one of the best and catchy melodies the band has come up with IMO, instrumentally speaking.
The song soon reaches an acoustic-part when the singing kicks in, but as soon as the chorus comes on, we're back to the gorgeous melodies in the background. There's something quite epic about it, without using a huge Orchestra they manage to achieve exactly the same amount of epicness to it.
The mix between the calmer sections and the more keyboard-dominated parts is a joy to hear, and the song also builds up really nice towards the outro, with a nice electric guitar/acoustic guitar combination.
My favorite song from Oceania, and well deserving of this top10 position.

9. Silverfuck (Siamese Dream)

At number 9, we find the big epic song from Siamese Dream; "Silverfuck" clocking in at 8:43. A long song, but also one of the very best songs from this album, the perfect example of Jimmy Chamberlin's amazing drumming together with the layered wall of guitars that signifies The Smashing Pumpkins.
The guitar riffs in the song are of top quality, but the drumming is really the centre-piece of it all. There are several "quiet" passages in the song where the guitars are not featured, or very much in the background, and instead the drumming is what really drives the song forward.
The middle section of the song is when it really gets even more interesting. Instead of staying on path like many others would have done, the song goes into a very quiet part where almost all instrumentation and singing slowly fades out (with one element disappearing at the time), but at around 6:48 or so, it kicks back in. With the lovely guitars and the drums doing a great comeback. Around the time when the song reaches it's end, you can just hear how they're squeezing out the very last out of both guitars.
Awesome song.

8. Tonight, Tonight (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)

"Time is never time at all
You can never ever leave without leaving a piece of youth
And our lives are forever changed
We will never be the same
The more you change the less you feel
Believe, believe in me, believe
That life can change, that you're not stuck in vain
We're not the same, we're different tonight
"

As soon as the outro of the Mellon Collie-theme ends, this song kicks in with full power. Beautiful use of strings, fitting guitars, the intro has everything you could ask for in a good song.
The verse features some of the band's best lyrics from this album, and lyrics I can really relate to, which obviously leads to them having a bigger effect on me.
The song soon reaches the chorus, another highlight. Again, the use of strings in this song is just brilliant. They really should use strings more often, it's a wonderful addition to this song.
There's really nothing more that needs to be said. This song is amazing, and out of the band's more "straight forward"-songs, or hit songs, this one is my favorite.

More to come tomorrow. ;)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »
True - #25 is NOTHING to sneeze at, especially compared to Tonight, Tonight. :heart

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
If I PM you my guess for #1 do I get a prize if it's right?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »
Silverfuck is such a trip of a song. The contrast between unrestrained anger and repressed tension is genius. The whole song just burns like steel.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 03:58:43 AM »
Orcus @ You can go ahead and guess, but I'm not sure what kind of prize you would get.  :biggrin:
Zander @ Sure is a trip.

Moving on!

7. X.Y.U. (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)

Time for another longer and more epic song, "X.Y.U." is one of the big pieces from the second disc of Mellon Collie. This song is arguably (IMO) their heaviest song. Not the fastest or with the highest pace, but the heaviest parts of this song blows my mind every single time.
The main-riff is both catchy and devastating, and the way it interacts with the groovy as hell-bassline and the drums, that is really fascinating and quite hypnotic to hear.
I know many people prefer the first disc of Mellon Collie, but actually I'm leaning more towards the second disc, and this song is one of the reasons.
Favorite part of the song? The end of the quiet middle-section when the song explodes again with Billy screaming, and the heavy-as-5000 mammoths-riff comes back in. Holy shit.
I normally listen to this song on really high volume from my speakers, and the bassline is thick enough to cut through glass. The part that starts around 5 minutes in, and keeps crushing forward like a bear mauling down baby deers is groovy as fuck.

6. Soma (Siamese Dream)

"I'm all by myself, As I've always felt
I'll betray myself, To anyone, lost, anyone but you
"

Next up we have this amazing song from Siamese Dream. From my experience, "Soma" is a song that most 'shallow' fans might overlook, but that the hardcore (have it all/love it all) fans seems to love. I don't mean shallow in a bad way, but people perhaps not that into the band.
This song stood out right away as being one of the best songs from the album, I love the lyrics in this song. I love the chorus, and I love how the song builds up from starting out slow and calm, but progressing to something heavier.
I really enjoy the guitar-solo in this song as well. So much passion in it, and it fits the song beautifully and really adds a certain amount of magic to an already awesome tune.
Not much more to say really, this song speaks for itself.

5. Glass and the Ghost Children (Machina: The Machines of God)

"so, it's all very obtuse
because it's all like, like, i don't know
so, like, i started thinking
that everything i operate on
is based on what i believe god was telling me to do
"

Time for one of the most epic songs in the band's entire catalogue. "Glass and the Ghost Children" clocks in at almost 10 minutes long, and if I would pick out a few songs from the band's catalogue which I would call "progressive", this song would certainly be among them.
There's just something epic right off the bat when the song starts, the drumming and the bassline gives it a very majestic feel, and the first time I heard it, I knew that it was the long song on the album right away, because you could just hear it.
The bassline in this song is one of my favorites, it's just very groovy and sets the tone for the song a lot. The chorus also has a very powerful impact, combined with the guitars that kicks in as well.
About ~4:30 into the song, it reaches a calm section when we get to hear some samples with Billy talking. (the lyrics above is part of that discussion)
While normally this would most likely kill the song completely, I dig this. It adds a lot to the story and concept of the album, and it's quite creepy to be honest.
The outro is a section for itself, starts off with some gentle, strumming guitars and Billy's voice singing calmly on top of it all.
What a journey this song is. I love it.

Okay so only 4 more songs to go now.. I'll probably post 2 more tonight, then nr 2 early tomorrow and nr 1 later tomorrow.  :hat

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »
Time for more songs!
Two more songs, number 4 and 3!

4. For Martha (Adore)

"but for the grace of love
I'd will the meaning of
heaven from above
"

Written in tribute to his mother by Billy, "For Martha" is a song packed with emotions and heartbreaking lyrics. The song stood out from the first listen to me as being "out of the ordinary"-awesome, and I keep getting blown away by it the more I listen to it. Clocking in at over 8 minutes, the song is long enough to be considered one of the band's "epics", and while it's epic in some ways, it's not epic in others. It's hard to explain, but I think the song focuses on the lyrics and the message rather than a majestic feel musically, and while the music does come with several epic moments, the focus is always on the lyrics and the meaning behind them.
Musically it features a nice mix between piano-sections and more layered passages, and the outro is just very fitting with the whole song. As much as I like "Blank Page" (the next song on the album), I think this song should have closed the album. I mean it just works so well for the purpose. Still, this remains the big jewel on the album for me, and if I ever get to see the band live, I really hope they play this song, though I doubt they will, considering which song it is.

3. Starla (Pisces Iscariot)

"I'm in here
Please take me home
Starla dear
I'm all alone
"

Another epic track from the band's catalogue, starting off the top 3 and landing at the bronze-spot we have "Starla", the 11 minute-behemoth from Pisces Iscariot.
While the band has covered much ground over the years and kept changing their sound, this song is certainly one of THE songs in the band's catalogue, in terms of how it represents the band sound-wise. It has the soaring melodies, the distorted guitars, the clean melodies, and some epic drum-moments. Every ingredient is here.
It's really hard to break down exactly what I love about this song. I just love how the song builds up over the course of these 11 minutes, how it goes down into softer passages and then comes back with heavy guitars and spaced-out solos on top of it, how the drumming goes from "fitting the song" to lifting the song to new highs.
The outro is like a long extravaganza of squeezing out the last drops of energy from the guitars, and by the fine the song finished I'm just exhausted from all the awesomeness.

2 songs to go.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 03:52:10 AM »
Sorry for the third post in a row, but nobody had commented since the last update, and I didn't want to wait with updating.
Here to bring you number two, and sorry Orcus, but your bet for the winning song was very close, but not correct. ;)

2. Thru the Eyes of a Ruby (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)

Next up we have (IMO) the band's most epic song. While they have longer songs, I think this song is the very best example of a "perfect" Smashing Pumpkins-song. It starts off with a beautiful piano/keyboard-part which soon leads to the gorgeous main-melody of the song. There's a certain depth of melancholy in this song which is very hard to describe, but it makes the song something extra.
The changes between the clean sections and the more distorted guitars is executed in such a great way, and the more calm middle section leads wonderfully into the heavier chorus that follows. I also particularly love the drumming around 4:38 during the little instrumental build-up, and then the song sort of explodes again at 5:02, with Billy's singing becoming the focus of the song again. The outro of the song is also very beautiful, a very sort of "calm after the storm" so to speak, and the way it eventually fades out is brilliant. I might say that this song really has the potential to be number 1, in fact I think quality-wise it's about equal with what I have left, there's really just a very very thin line between them, and that's why this song ends up as number 2 for now. Still, I feel very comfortable about it, and it's one of their best for sure.

Just 1 more to go, will have it up later today.  :angel:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 08:21:55 AM »
YOU CHANGED IT TO MAKE ME LOOK STUPID.

(great choice btw)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 01:13:20 PM »
You wish I did.  :biggrin:
Okay so I'm here with the last update. Thanks to whoever has been following, hopefully it has made someone interested in checking this band out.
So with this update I bid you farewell and goodnight.

1. Farewell and Goodnight (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)

"goodnight, to every little hour that you sleep tite
may it hold you through the winter of a long night
and keep you from the loneliness of yourself
heart strung is your heart frayed and empty
cause it's hard luck, when no one understands your love
"

So finally we reach the end of the road. After almost 2 hours of music, "Farewell and Goodnight" ends the fantastic journey that Mellon Collie is, and I couldn't think of a more perfect way to close an album than this song.
This is not only the band's most beautiful song, but also one of the most beautiful songs I know. The gentle use of acoustic guitar, the way the whole band sings on the song. The way all their voices work together creates such a beautiful harmony, and I will forever love Billy Corgan, James Iha, D'arcy Wretzky and Billy Chamberlin.
Mellon Collie is my favorite Pumpkins-album and it might be weird to have the very last song as my favorite, but while there are many highs and amazing songs on the way, this song just wraps up the album in such a good way. There's no need for a 10 minute song with bits and pieces from all the songs before, it's just a nice ~4 ½ minute ballad with gorgeous melodies and the vocal harmonies. Plus, we get the nice recap of the Mellon Collie theme at the end of the song.
I really wish they had used D'arcy's vocals more, her voice creates such a nice contrast to Billy and James. I also wish they would play this song live, it would work awesome as the show-closer.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »
Great list and awesome write ups! I hope even more folks give the band a listen because they have put out plenty of excellent material over the years and are so varied throughout. Corgan as crazy as he is, is a huge Prog/Metal nerd and although I'm not certain of his feelings on DT would likely fit in well here lol.

Also, "Thru the Eyes of Ruby" is just  :hefdaddy...

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
Curious to see where Quiet, my personal favorite Pumpkins tune, falls on the list.

:'(

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
Re: Zantera's Top 50 The Smashing Pumpkins Songs! (Finished)
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »
THE WHOLE LIST IN ONE PAGE? IS IT POSSIBLE :O
I love beautiful things.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 12:05:26 PM »
Jimmy, your list inspired me to give Mellon Collie another listen and I liked it far more than I remembered, so thanks for that. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 12:30:44 PM »
Jimmy, your list inspired me to give Mellon Collie another listen and I liked it far more than I remembered, so thanks for that. :tup

Awesome to hear! :)

crazyaga @ not impossible when there's a band that isn't huge on the forum :p