Author Topic: Axel Rudi Pell...Where to start?  (Read 746 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Axel Rudi Pell...Where to start?
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »
Thread title says it all.

I assume he has had some different vocalists so when making recommendations, please also state the vocalist's name for me, and maybe the year of recording, and anything else you may consider useful.

Thank you,
TAC
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Re: Axel Rudi Pell...Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »
Hmm. In recent years ARP tends to follow a style and pattern- if you like one album you'll like them all. It may come down to the vocals.
My favourite is Wild Obsession, his first solo album with Charlie Huhn of Victory on vocals. It's  different to ARP these days and is less refined, and may not be the best place to start tbh.

Magic and Eternal Prisoner are pretty good (Jeff Scott Soto) and of the Gioelli albums Oceans Of Time is my favourite.

There is a best of, The Wizard's chosen Few, which covers most eras and has some live covers (Axel likes Blackmore) and a couple of new tracks that are pretty good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
Wizards and Wild Obsession is a great place to start. My favorite is Nasty Reputation which has Rob Rock on vocals.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »
The Masquerade Ball. Johnny Gioelli on vocals, and pretty much the album that defined the sort of album ARP has been making for the last decade or so, with a pretty cool cover of Uriah Heep's July Morning to boot. If you like that, you'll like everything he's done since, and most of what he did before that.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 06:43:46 AM »
Hmm. In recent years ARP tends to follow a style and pattern- if you like one album you'll like them all. It may come down to the vocals.
My favourite is Wild Obsession, his first solo album with Charlie Huhn of Victory on vocals. It's  different to ARP these days and is less refined, and may not be the best place to start tbh.

Magic and Eternal Prisoner are pretty good (Jeff Scott Soto) and of the Gioelli albums Oceans Of Time is my favourite.

There is a best of, The Wizard's chosen Few, which covers most eras and has some live covers (Axel likes Blackmore) and a couple of new tracks that are pretty good.

Nailed it.  I'm also a big fan of Mystica.  Basically, you can't go wrong with anything from ARP (IMO).

I'm sure the wolf will have plenty to weigh in with.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »
I loveall the Johnny albums with Masqurade Ball, Mystica and Kings and Queens being the best.  The early stuff is pretty good, but honestly I need to get into them more, I've always been more of a fan of his later stuff.

Masquerade Ball and Mystica are the two I'd start off with.  but really, if you like one, you'll like them all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.