Author Topic: 8 + 5 = DT13  (Read 1876 times)

Offline PROGdrummer

8 + 5 = DT13
« on: October 27, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
So, I was thinking about the different 8/5 theories in Dream Theater fandom lately, and then I realized "Hey, 8 plus 5 is 13, I wonder if Dream Theater will do anything with that for their 13th studio album?"

What do you guys think? Will Dream Theater make a huge nugget-fest of an album when it comes to their 13th release? Will they make any musical references whatsoever to Octavarium? Would you even want them to do something like that? Or would you rather them just make an album and forget about their nuggety 8/5 stuff?

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

Re: 8 + 5 = DT13
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »
Highly doubt it, given that the nuggeting was mostly attributed to MP.

And no amount of nuggets will make a bad album good, or a good album bad, so I really don't care either way.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »

And no amount of nuggets will make a bad album good, or a good album bad, so I really don't care either way.

This.  I mean, look at Octavarium: tons of nuggets all over the place, and that is, to me, one of their two least best albums to date.  Nuggets can be a bit more icing on the cake, but great songs (see: the cake) are what matter the most.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »
So...Octavarium plus Scenes From A Memory ?

I'm down with that.

Metropolis Part 3 : Full Circle.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »

I'm down with that.

Hell yes

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
It really doesn't matter as long as they music is good.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Polis

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:44:14 PM »
I just got hard at the thought of metropolis part 3

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »

I'm down with that.

A 6 album suite featuring a guest appearance by the count of tuscany?

Hell yes
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
DOWN THE RAZOR'S EDGE, I DISAPPEAR!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »
No that's 8 + 10 = 80.

You're way off.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
If they wanna revisit anything from 8VM, I hope to god it's only through lyrics or other non-musically-related aspects because that entire album has always sounded to me like some kind of FII 2.0 in the way that it came across as a case of them placing far higher priority on attracting new fans than on making the best album they could (although FII was obviously the record label's fault for the commercially-geared direction.) The 2 long songs (SS, 8VM) seemed like they were just included to give the album the appearance of a regular DT album since they haven't had an album without 2 10+ minute songs since WDaDU.

The main difference is that FII has aged well for me but I still have that "just accidentally took a sip of diet pop" reaction when I hear the majority of 8VM.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
That... makes me very sad.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 04:03:41 PM »
that entire album has always sounded to me like some kind of FII 2.0 in the way that it came across as a case of them placing far higher priority on attracting new fans than on making the best album they could (although FII was obviously the record label's fault for the commercially-geared direction.) The 2 long songs (SS, 8VM) seemed like they were just included to give the album the appearance of a regular DT album since they haven't had an album without 2 10+ minute songs since WDaDU.

I don't think that was really the motivation. I think it was more that the band was coming off of Train of Thought, which really pulled the band in the opposite direction, so they let all the rest of their sounds come out on Octavarium.

However, I totally agree with you as far as the effect it has. The music there sounds far more "watered-down" compared to the other '00s DT albums, just like FII with the '90s output. It's well-executed music (who would expect otherwise from DT), but it lacks the inventiveness and virtuosity that separates DT from everybody else for me. Except for the title track, which is awesome.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »
that entire album has always sounded to me like some kind of FII 2.0 in the way that it came across as a case of them placing far higher priority on attracting new fans than on making the best album they could (although FII was obviously the record label's fault for the commercially-geared direction.) The 2 long songs (SS, 8VM) seemed like they were just included to give the album the appearance of a regular DT album since they haven't had an album without 2 10+ minute songs since WDaDU.

I don't think that was really the motivation. I think it was more that the band was coming off of Train of Thought, which really pulled the band in the opposite direction, so they let all the rest of their sounds come out on Octavarium.

However, I totally agree with you as far as the effect it has. The music there sounds far more "watered-down" compared to the other '00s DT albums, just like FII with the '90s output. It's well-executed music (who would expect otherwise from DT), but it lacks the inventiveness and virtuosity that separates DT from everybody else for me. Except for the title track, which is awesome.

This, I find 8V the most uninspired DT album (FII is not that bad)...it's just a mash of influences from other band, not something you expect from a band like DT.

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:30:48 AM »
As long as they don't try making Metropolis part 3 I'm satisfied. I just don't see them creating something as genuinely awesome and musically brilliant as the first two parts..
Don't mess with Take The Time.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 08:53:44 AM »
I couldn't care less whether there'll be nuggets or not, they don't make the music any better.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 10:35:29 AM »
That... makes me very sad.

Yeah, it is.  Nuggets aside, 8VM is the best song ever.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
Wholeheartedly agreed.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 03:47:01 PM »

I'm down with that.

As the third and last dance, it would have to last forever. :neverusethis:

If they decided to do any references to Octavarium, I think it would be best to use the main musical theme of Octavarium. Having it thrown in at the end of an epic instrumental section would be really cool.

Still, I think they should do what they want and not feel somehow bound by their previous works.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline adameastment

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »
They should do a cover of "I ain't superstitious"

You know, 13 and all that.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
They should skip it, go straight to 14. Like there's no 13th floor in buildings or 13th row in airplanes.

In reality it'll be a Hugh Syme collage.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."