Author Topic: Official Hurricane Sandy Recovery Thread v. Uggghhh  (Read 8467 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Official Hurricane Sandy/Snowcane/SnoCone/Perfecter Storm Thread!
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »
Well my college closed for Monday and Tuesday, which rarely ever happens, but its very welcome.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »
Wind has picked up to about 30 mph here in Virginia with the highest gust around 50 mph so far. The problem really isn't the basic forecast, but the fact that it's going to be 30-40 mph winds with higher gusts and rain until Tuesday. Hopefully Irene and that derecho business earlier in the year took out enough trees to keep us from getting smacked by widespread power outages. I lost my power for a week during Isabel back in '03 and that was a massively unfun experience.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »
That sucks Tick :( stay safe! She'll be safe too!

Im kind of excited for this storm, just because i loveeee weather ... and rain storms haha. But im definitely taking precautions just incase.
I just got a call from my boss telling not to worry about work the next couple days. He said take care of business and be safe. That's one less thing to worry about.

As far as being excited about it. I remember back in the 80's when Gloria came through I was young and thought it was awesome. I didn't have a care in the world and nothing to lose. Now owning a home, cars, etc.. Its a different feeling when you don't know what is in store for you.

Oh im absolutely worried about my house even tho its my parents, but somethings you just cant control. im still going to do everything in my power to take care of the house and surroundings, as everyone should, but with all this hype i just cant help but to feel excited and nervous. again as you said it would probably be a lot different if it was actually my house that i bought.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
This storm is going to be fucked up.  I read it's already the biggest storm ever recorded (as far as area - this afternoon there were tropical storm warnings in Bermuda and North Carolina at the same time).

Good luck, guys.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »
Just got home from work, we closed a couple hours early as the place was a ghost town. We're already planning on being closed Monday and probably Tuesday, and we spent the night moving all the ice cream and other perishables into our giant walk in freezer and fridge in the basement. Planning on lots of chilling at home and beer drinking over the next couple days :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 06:22:50 PM »
My company is lame as usual, using as ambiguous language as possible in order to have people come in nonetheless. The governor of MA called on employers to encourage their employees to stay home, and that's what I will do.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »
I haven't heard anything from my company but I can picture this: we have a generator so power outage won't be an issue but our servers are located miles away so if we have a power outage almost certainly the internet will not work and thus we can't get any work done. So I might get to work and then have to drive back through the thick of it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2012, 06:30:40 PM »
My boss is going to be driving through it to see me and his boss was supposed to fly out Tuesday night to come to my site.  We'll see about that.  Wal-Mart is still open though.  This damn DC never shuts down dammit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
I got called at 2pm today and was asked to stay at a hotel starting tonight and stay there until the storm is over in case something happens in the data center for one of my companies clients. Its not a ton of equipment and they have a generator so I expect to mostly watch TV unless things get seriously bad. But they are paying me per hour starting when I left my apartment until I get home so this will make a nice pay day.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
First few drops of rain just hit the window here in Queens.  Wind has been whistling like a winter storm for a while, and the streetlight outside out front window is shaking.

Preps are all ready, aside from needing to do some dishes in the morning (don't want anything potentially stinky sitting around when we lose power).  Nothing to do now but drink wine and watch baseball!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 10:15:13 PM »
Stay safe all my fellow East Coasters!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 12:45:13 AM »
My mother, who is constantly trying to get me to move back to NJ, said "See? Look what you're missing!"  :lol

I do love storms, but hope everyone stays safe.

Also really hope this doesn't fuck up Tony's flight plans to come out here at the end of the week.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2012, 06:13:34 AM »
Shit's about to get real...the top winds have gone from being forecast at 40-50 MPH to 70-90 MPH.

I'm going to go enjoy what I expect to be my last shower for the next couple of days.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 06:34:44 AM »
In Monmouth county NJ here about 3 miles from the shore...shit got real this morning in the past 2 hours....6 am walked the dog brezzy and light rain...now wind iis  howling constantly..rain heavy..local roads starting to flood

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 07:22:35 AM »
Shit's about to get real...the top winds have gone from being forecast at 40-50 MPH to 70-90 MPH.

I'm going to go enjoy what I expect to be my last shower for the next couple of days.

Be safe millahh and everyone! My parents and family live in Queens, I am worried about them.

It is not bad here yet. Wind just started to get bad. Maybe 30-40mph now and rising. Our power will go out soon.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 07:34:35 AM »
Reporting in from the Maryland Peninsula. I just woke up, and things seem fine. Though, the winds are shaking my house. I'll report back later.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2012, 07:35:02 AM »
Stay safe my american friends!  :police:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 07:39:11 AM »
I live in NJ about half an hour outside of New York City, and only in the last 1-2 hours has it started raining, with occasional, not too bad gusts of wind.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 07:53:53 AM »

Be safe millahh and everyone! My parents and family live in Queens, I am worried about them.

It is not bad here yet. Wind just started to get bad. Maybe 30-40mph now and rising. Our power will go out soon.

Thanks Cecilia.  Unless your folks are near the water, they should be ok...and if they're near the water, they've been evacuated.

We've had gusts that I'm figuring are 50+ mph, and now NWS is forecasting gusts above 90.  This is going to get ugly, I have a feeling.

The cats are starting to freak out.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
We've had gusts that I'm figuring are 50+ mph, and now NWS is forecasting gusts above 90.  This is going to get ugly, I have a feeling.

The cats are starting to freak out.

Just walked my dog all 8 lbs of him....rain let up for a few so i took advantage of it..swear once or twice he got airborne

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2012, 08:19:34 AM »
Lost power for a bit, now it's back. Preparing for the worst.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2012, 08:40:33 AM »
Dear Mother Nature:

Kindly go fuck yourself.

Sincerely,

Everyone

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
I live in NJ about half an hour outside of New York City, and only in the last 1-2 hours has it started raining, with occasional, not too bad gusts of wind.
  Same here, I am about 20 minutes outside NYC, just got back in. Not bad yet, but winds are picking up. The shore is getting their ass kicked and it has not even started yet.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »
It has been raining here in the Wash DC area since last night. They are saying around 8 pm it is suppose to get bad. My yard usually floods when we  get a lot of rain.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
I had a few flakes of snow hit my windshield on my drive in to work this morning.  We have a steady wind of around 25 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
Just lost power at 11:35 this morning!

Dear Mother Nature:

Kindly go fuck yourself.

Sincerely,

Everyone
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »

Ocean City, Maryland

I grew up fishing on this pier... :/

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
Still okay here, still have power. Winds on and off. Took the dogs out twice, the little one has not been airborne yet.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »
Its really getting crazy now! Winds picking up big time. I'm not sure how much longer I will have this luxury. I fear it won't be too much longer. The good news(in Connecticut anyway) is the rain amounts are not as bad as once thought. The bad news is the wind may be worse than expected. I'll keep posting throughout the day if possible. If I'm not. you will know why.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2012, 11:16:50 AM »

My soon to be old hangout at the Jersey Shore. This club was on the beach about 200 yards from the ocean.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »
  Same here, I am about 20 minutes outside NYC, just got back in. Not bad yet, but winds are picking up. The shore is getting their ass kicked and it has not even started yet.

ass kicking is an understatement.......its been bad since about 7am here..winds have not stopped rain has been on and off (not really off, but enough to make a priority run)

They are closing the Parkway in stages  exit 63 and south is closed in both directions except for emergency personel

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »
Flooding on Long Island is already starting.  Luckily I'm on the north shore (i.e., the Long Island Sound side) rather than the south shore (the Atlantic Ocean side), and I'm on pretty high ground.  But I've got friends who have already had to evacuate.

This is the town where I grew up :/ -

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »
Last gust just shook our building...and we're in the middle of a row of brick townhouses!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »
Things aren't bad at all by me at work in NJ but I worry for the shore folk tonight when the high tide comes.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2012, 12:24:01 PM »

ass kicking is an understatement.......its been bad since about 7am here..winds have not stopped rain has been on and off (not really off, but enough to make a priority run)

They are closing the Parkway in stages  exit 63 and south is closed in both directions except for emergency personel

The bitch has picked up steam and is now moving at 23 mph with gust over 100. Gonna hit around 5-6 oclock.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home