Author Topic: Official Hurricane Sandy Recovery Thread v. Uggghhh  (Read 8471 times)

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Hurricane Sandy Recovery Thread v. Uggghhh
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2012, 05:16:41 AM »
no waits in NJ for gas...but I know NYC is still having issues

had just short of a foot of snow this morning...driving home on the parkway last night during the heaviest snowfall was not fun...20 mph
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2012, 10:02:39 AM »
Well, it should have only been about 3.5 hours, but I didn't realize it was going to be cash only, and it didn't occur to me to grab a wad of cash when i stumbled out at 6 AM to go find gas.  So I went through two lines.
 :facepalm:

Oh man... that sucks.  They didn't have any "cash only" signs?  Most of the stations around here have them posted so you can't miss them when you're waiting on line.  I think I'm gonna attempt a fill-up today...

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: November 08, 2012, 11:49:13 AM »
I called AT&T today because I have either not had service or have had shitty service on my phone. I was credited for not having service for ten days. I feel like I'm on top of the world haha.

No gas lines here anymore.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »
I listened to the the fan (660 AM) on the radio today and its normally a sports talk station for those who do not know, but Mike Francessa talked for a long time about LIPA and how bad they are.  He was saying that a lot of homes that still dont have power, can get power with the flick of a button but LIPA has told workers not to turn it on for whatever reason.  Then he mentioned a pregnant lady begged a worker to turn her power on, which he did, and then that worker got fired.  I don't know whats up, but I feel really bad for the people who have LIPA and dont have power. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
Um... WHAT?!  That seriously does not compute, and is fricking BS to boot.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »
Just got power back after 10 days last night.  Sucked. Temps got down to 46 degrees at night. No idea what's been happening in that time.  Very, very lucky though.

Tree came down and missed the car and if it were a foot taller it would have come through the roof and kitchen window. Limbs and branches everywhere. Minor damage to the roof which was fixed by hammering a few nails back in.  No flooding but with trees and wires down we couldn't go very far.

I smile now whenever I flush the toilet. The simple things in life.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2012, 07:14:56 PM »
Did anyone apply for aid from FEMA?

When we were without power we had heard on the radio they were giving $300 for food. We applied when we were still without power, but were denied for whatever reason. We lost EVERYTHING in our fridge and freezer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »
We lost all our freezer/fridge food but never thought about applying for aid.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2012, 12:13:13 AM »
So much for "getting rid of the red tape"...

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2012, 05:41:10 AM »
FEMA doesn't give credit for lost food ...its a real shame....depending on your income you may get WIC (women/Infant/Children) credits but in my case I'm not a woman, don't have an infant and my kids are all older than 5

There is a page on the FEMA website, you take a quick survey and it tells you if your eligible for any types of aid based on your answers

In most cases unless you lost everything or can't work due to injuries related to the storm, you not going to get any support

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2012, 07:43:59 AM »
Ahh thank you. My bf gets food stamps, he is disabled and not able to work. I have not applied, and we don't have kids.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: November 09, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
you still may be eligible

https://www.disasterassistance.gov/

Follow the questionaire link

It will tell you if you can apply for anything

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
I just listened to Science Friday podcast and they mentioned that due to much better funding the European Meteorology Center predicted Sandy's landfall correctly a full week before the American one. Crazy.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »
Been a completely f'd up 2 weeks here by me in Jersey. Finally got back power yesterday after none since the storm hit. Power is no big deal when u actually see first hand the devestation others have suffered. I have spent the last 2 weeks helping a heavily hit area here in Jersey. My cousins town (Keyport/Union Beach, New jersey was hit bad. I have been helping going thru what is left of the towns. We can see picture, but being there, it is truly...................well word cant describe. MASSIVE destruction. Unfortunately, while helping with the cleanup, we came across the body of an elderly woman who did not make it out. 11 days later it still is hitting home. I am trying to be my usual upbeat, funny self. and have my moments, but (and not preaching here), be thankfull for what we all have on an every day basis. I am guilty of not really doing that. I now think differently.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:53:49 PM by njdtfan »
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2012, 08:52:58 PM »
So now for a thing that has made me rethink my lack of humanity in the world. A story, you will not hear or see on the news. I have a friend Joe, actually a customer of mine that I have known for over 15 years. he owns a trucking company, the largest on the east coast of the united states. Joe ownes/owned a house on the jersey shore, a house worth over $10 million dollars. It no longer exists as it was wiped away by the storm. Joes first concearn was not his house, it was his community. Thru his business contacts, Joe was able to get donations of food, clothing, medical supplies etc, from his customers along the east coast. 2 days ago 3, 18 wheel trucks owned by Joe dropped off these supplies to the Jersey Shore residents. I have 2 commercial garde smokers and BBQ's that I use for competions. Joe purchased all the food and We served up over 400 hamburgers and 500 hot dogs for people. Joe.........you fuckin rule!
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »
You hang in there, Marc - you and Joe ROCK for what you did/are doing to help out. :heart

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: November 11, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »
Wow, thats a good story (which followed the sad one, Sorry).  Im from that area, but live in New Brunswick now.  I haven't gone over there, but heard Union Beach was like destroyed.

My friend texted me last night saying his friend rescued some kittens from the storm and was looking for a home for them.  I already have two and said I can't take them, but part of me really wants one.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #227 on: November 11, 2012, 11:13:45 PM »
Awesome and sad stories... and I hope the kittens find homes! Holler if you need help with that; I have some kitty-lovin' friends in Jersey.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2012, 05:38:46 AM »
Humane society is overwhelmed right now with pets...either from being abandoned or people who just left them their because they couldnt take them with them into the temporary situation they are in.....Please if you have room and are permitted please adopt or foster

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2012, 12:10:10 AM »
Sorry for the rant, but to be honest, i ned a place to clear my head and vent. Day, 13 helping at the Jersey Shore. The devestation is.........................words cant describe. You can see the pictures/video on tv, but until you are actually there......................it is surreal. Been putting in about 12 hour days helping out, but, i will be hones it is taking its toll on me. Thing that keeps me going is...................these people need help. I do not beleive in God, fate, etc. But yesterday, i came across a family. They had an autistic girl. Their home is basically gone. They are in a shelter living on cots in a gym. The girl does not understand what is happening. I have 2 sons with mild autism (so I understand it a bit). Autism is bad enough, but thro this on top............ I have never been the guy to say, be thankfull every day for what you hace etc. But things like this can change a person. CARPE DIEM!
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2012, 11:47:39 AM »
Wow, njdtfan...you have my very deep admiration and respect for all you've put into the recovery effort.

My employer is actually giving us a paid day out to volunteer, so the wife and I did cleanup in Breezy Point on Thursday.  Spent the day gutting a basement and removing sludge (mixed with toys and pictures) by the wheelbarrow full.  Some of the destruction felt like walking around on a movie set...housed moved off their foundations, split in half like a doll house, but with dishes still in the cabinets and pictures still on the wall.

Apparently parts of the Rockaways may not get power back until mid-September.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol