Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The End  (Read 30831 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The Metal Update! \m/
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 08:00:04 PM »
#24: Dethklok - Dethalbum II (2009)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Bloodlines (2) The Gears (3) Burn The Earth (4) Laser Cannon Deth Sentence (5) Black Fire Upon Us (6) Dethsupport
(7) The Cyborg Slayers (8) I Tamper With The Evidence At The Murder Site Of Odin (9) Murmaider II: The Water God
(10) Comet Song (11) Symmetry (12) Volcano

First of all, if you haven’t seen Adult Swim’s Metalocalypse, you need to. It’s one of the funniest TV shows out there, especially if you’re a metal fan. Even if you aren’t a fan of the show, you should still check out this album. Dethklok, despite being a fictional band, makes some of the best melodic death metal out there, and Dethalbum II is definitely the best of the current trilogy. While the first Dethalbum was very goofy and could easily be classified as a parody album, this record feels very more like a serious effort. You’ve still got some tongue-in-cheek songs like Laser Cannon Deth Sentence and The Cyborg Slayers, but you’ve also got a lot of tracks that wouldn’t feel out of place on a completely straight-faced record. Black Fire Upon Us has a very dire and serious tone to it, and Symmetry, while being about a murderous supermodel, is actually a great analogy of how screwed up modern society’s perception of beauty is. If you’re looking for a fantastic metal album, look no further than this.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Black Fire Upon Us, The Cyborg Slayers, Murmaider II: The Water God, Symmetry

#23: Strapping Young Lad - Strapping Young Lad (2003)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Dire (2) Consequence (3) Relentless (4) Rape Song (5) Aftermath (6) Devour (7) Last Minute (8) Force Fed
(9) Dirt Pride (10) Bring On The Young

Here’s my opinion that’s sure to get my Devin Townsend / SYL fan card revoked: This is my 2nd favorite Strapping Young Lad album. Sure, it’s got a raw, ugly production that’s the direct opposite of Devin’s other records. Sure, it barely has any of his noticeable traits and sounds very much like a typical early-2000s death metal record. Sure, he even admitted that he barely paid any attention to this record when it was being worked on. But none of that matters, because this album kicks truckloads of ass. It has no gimmicks or distractions; it’s just pure, brutal, relentless extreme metal. The guitars are simple but done flawlessly, Devin’s vocals are amazing as always, and Gene Hoglan shows that he’s one of the best metal drummers in the world. The song Aftermath alternates between slowly chugging along and melting your face off with a breakneck-speed barrage of brutality, Force Fed has one of the best choruses in Devin Townsend’s whole discography, Rape Song is just as heavy and insane as it sounds, and Bring On The Young starts out eerily quiet, but builds and builds until it completely loses its mind. Devin Townsend is widely regarded as a legend around here (because he is), and this is one of, if not the most underrated of his albums.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Rape Song, Aftermath, Force Fed, Bring On The Young
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
Just catching up on this list, some really great albums so far! Keep it coming man.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »
Good, but not great albums.  And I think City and Alien are much better SYL albums.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »
Alien for sure, though I'm not really that sold on City as most people seem to be. I don't really know why, it just never really clicked with me. :dunno:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
I'm not so keen on the older SYL stuff, bit too intense for me I think. The New Black is damn good fun though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 05:37:19 PM »
Yay, someone finally replied! XD

And yeah, I'm definitely the minority when it comes to my love for that SYL album, but I don't care. I don't really like HaaRHT or The New Black that much, but the middle three albums are all fantastic. As for which album (City or Alien) is my favorite, you'll just have to wait and find out!

Anyways, since this update finally got a few replies, new one coming soon!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »
I'm sure its frustrating if people aren't posting after each one, but keep chugging.  With Superstorm Sandy and the presidential election, people have had other things on their mind.  Also, and no offense since I'm replying, but newbies tend to get a lot less traffic in their list threads it seems.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
Ima following, but only comment when I have something meaningful and/or nice to say.  As the good doctor said, keep plodding... lots of people lurk on these.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
Laser Cannon Death Sentence is absolutely killer along with the rest of Dethalbum II  :tup
Have you had a chance to listen to Dethalbum III yet?  Brendon Small is just a genius, I mean along with his solo project, I feel confident in saying he's on the road to becoming the next Devin Townsend, not sure exactly what I mean by saying that, but yeah..  :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
Laser Cannon Death Sentence is absolutely killer

I don't know if Dethklok will ever top that song.  By far my favorite Dethklok song.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 07:18:38 PM »
D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DIE  :metal :metal
I didn't get to see them live this cycle around, but I did back during the Crack The Skye touring and they didn't play this song, I hope when I get to see them again some day they play this song and I just melt in a puddle of complete man crush for Brendon Small.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »
Laser Cannon Death Sentence is absolutely killer along with the rest of Dethalbum II  :tup
Have you had a chance to listen to Dethalbum III yet?  Brendon Small is just a genius, I mean along with his solo project, I feel confident in saying he's on the road to becoming the next Devin Townsend, not sure exactly what I mean by saying that, but yeah..  :lol
Awesome song, but not one of my favorites.
And yes, I've heard Dethalbum III. It's awesome, but not quite as good as II in my opinion. But Crush The Industry = HOOOOLY SHIT  :hefdaddy

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »
I'm sure its frustrating if people aren't posting after each one, but keep chugging.  With Superstorm Sandy and the presidential election, people have had other things on their mind.  Also, and no offense since I'm replying, but newbies tend to get a lot less traffic in their list threads it seems.
I follow all the Top 50 threads but I don't really post too much in them. Maybe I should change that.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.And Now For Something Completely Different
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »
#22: Sigur Rós - ( ) (2002)

---TRACKLIST---
Untitled 1, Untitled 2, Untitled 3... you get the idea.

As the previous update shows, I’m quite the metalhead. However, something else that I absolutely love that’s completely on the other end of the musical spectrum is atmosphere, and this album is just about as atmospheric as it gets. Some of the songs are optimistic, some are bleak, but all of them are stunningly beautiful. The record is very quiet for the most part, but when the more intense climaxes start showing up in the last three songs, they feel truly orgasmic. If you’ve heard of this album before you’re probably aware that the songs have no names, and all of the vocals are in a fictional language called “hopelandic”. (It’s just like Icelandic, except half of the language’s dictionary consists of something that sounds like YYYUUUUUUUU SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.) Untitled I starts the album off on a somber but strangely uplifting and beautiful note. Untitled III sticks out amongst the rest of the album for several reasons; it’s the only purely instrumental song, and while the rest of the album feels very cold and wintery, this song is incredibly lush, perfect for a rainy, warm day. Untitled VI feels very war-like and serious and gets truly amazing towards the end, and Untitled VIII ends the album off with a bombastic, energetic and optimistic outro. If you’re a fan of atmospheric or just plain beautiful music, this album will definitely find a special place in your heart.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Untitled I, Untitled III, Untitled VI, Untitled VIII

#21: OSI - Office Of Strategic Influence (2003)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) The New Math (What He Said) (2) OSI (3) When You're Ready (4) Horseshoes And B-52's (5) Head (6) Hello, Helicopter!
(7) ShutDOWN (8) Dirt From A Holy Place (9) Memory Daydreams Lapses (10) Standby (Looks Like Rain)

OSI, the collaboration between Kevin Moore (who nobody here knows about, obviously) and Jim Matheos of Fate’s Warning, has made four albums since 2003. While they’re all great, in my opinion they still haven’t topped their debut album. It has the best songs, the least amount of filler, and the best flow. Sound-wise, while you’ve got plenty of Kevin Moore’s fantastic, atmospheric keyboard work, he wasn’t in on the project from the beginning. As a result, you can hear a lot from the project’s beginning when it was just Jim Matheos and Mike Portnoy. (Again, who’s that guy?) The first two songs in particular, The New Math and OSI, sound very much like typical progressive metal, but not in a bad way. The album has a good amount of variety to it, balancing out the more moody, ambient songs with louder, guitar-focused tracks. The two styles also blend together fantastically, unlike some of the band’s other albums. (Blood, in particular, sounds like two completely different albums stitched together at the last minute.) The song Head is a great example of this, as it alternates between the two styles numerously and seamlessly. ShutDOWN is another standout track; it features Steven Wilson (another random musician nobody cares about) on vocals, but the song sounds so Porcupine Tree-esque that my guess is he probably wrote a lot of the music for it too. Mike Portnoy’s drum work on the album is also fantastic, some of the best he’s ever done. Of course, he didn’t do nearly as well a job on the follow-up album due to him not really giving a shit because he didn’t get to make every single musical decision in the whole band like he was used to. This is definitely an album absolutely everyone on here should check out.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
The New Math (What He Said), OSI, Head, ShutDOWN

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 05:24:52 AM »
I tried OSI, but this album never did anything for me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 06:41:52 AM »
What didn't you like about it?

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2012, 06:58:40 AM »
() is absolutely fantastic, but I wouldn't call the outo of Untitled 8 "optimistic". It's not as bleak, desperate and depressive as Untitled 5-7, but neither is it optimistic. Actually, I think the first part of Untitled 8 is much more hopeful than the second part. Still, great choice!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2012, 07:00:55 AM »
What didn't you like about it?

Just not quite my thing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »
() is absolutely fantastic, but I wouldn't call the outo of Untitled 8 "optimistic". It's not as bleak, desperate and depressive as Untitled 5-7, but neither is it optimistic. Actually, I think the first part of Untitled 8 is much more hopeful than the second part. Still, great choice!
I guess that's true. But whatever, Untitled 8 is amazing. Easily the best song on the album, imo.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
Both of those albums are great!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2012, 10:13:39 AM »
Listened to that OSI album today after reading your writeup, that's a cool album!

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »
Listened to that OSI album today after reading your writeup, that's a cool album!
Glad you liked it. :) Is it the first time you've checked out OSI?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
Can you tell us how many albums you have?  Sigur Ros aside (not my cup of tea at all), I'm finding your choices to be good albums, but nothing I'd serious consider for a list if I was doing one.  We might be in the same relative ballpark though as in where it falls by percentile based rank.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2012, 10:34:58 AM »
Can you tell us how many albums you have?  Sigur Ros aside (not my cup of tea at all), I'm finding your choices to be good albums, but nothing I'd serious consider for a list if I was doing one.  We might be in the same relative ballpark though as in where it falls by percentile based rank.
Nowhere near as many as you. :P
Maybe you'll find the albums closer to the end of the list better. (Don't count on it though, heh.)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2012, 11:04:31 AM »
Fellow OSI fans always get a thumbs up from me :heart I preferred Free and Blood, but, really, whatever KM's involved in - I'm just going to put it on, sit back and enjoy the ride, I have high standards for him but he always delivers.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Onno

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »
Glad you liked it. :) Is it the first time you've checked out OSI?
Yes, it was.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2012, 12:32:53 PM »
Fellow OSI fans always get a thumbs up from me :heart I preferred Free and Blood, but, really, whatever KM's involved in - I'm just going to put it on, sit back and enjoy the ride, I have high standards for him but he always delivers.
Yeah, OSI's awesome :) Blood is my 2nd favorite despite my main criticism about it in the write-up. Free was mostly disappointing for me, but hey, it's still got some great stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2012, 04:38:12 PM »
I really like that OSI album, my fav album from them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2012, 06:21:25 AM »
Buddy likes Meshuggah and is doing a 33-song list. I just wish I had more to go on to help me figure out what number 1 could be.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »
Buddy likes Meshuggah and is doing a 33-song list. I just wish I had more to go on to help me figure out what number 1 could be.

Catch Thirtythree isn't even on the list.
Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams. :P

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Into The Top 20
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2012, 09:09:36 PM »
#20: Pendulum - Immersion (2010)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Genesis (2) Salt In The Wounds (3) Watercolour (4) Set Me On Fire (5) Crush (6) Under The Waves (7) Immunize
(8) The Island, Part 1 (Dawn) (9) The Island, Part 2 (Dusk) (10) Comprachicos (11) The Vulture (12) Witchcraft
(13) Self Vs. Self (14) The Fountain (15) Encoder

Electronica is a music genre I’ve always enjoyed elements of, but never really found a band or album of that’s truly fantastic. That is, until I found this album. Pendulum is by all means an electronic band, but their music is so good and they have enough variety that I’d recommend them to anyone, regardless of their musical tastes. This album has no bad songs, and each one has their own unique qualities to the point where it would be impossible to go over them all. To name just a few, Salt In The Wounds opens up the album with an energetic drum ‘n’ bass song that I could totally see at a sweet rave party, Set Me On Fire is pretty much the only great dubstep-esque song I’ve ever heard, and The Island (both parts) is easily the highlight of the record. The album also has its share of guest musicians. The Fountain features Steven Wilson (This guy again? It hasn’t even been a whole entry yet…) on vocals, and In Flames plays on Self Vs. Self to create a memorable mash-up of electronica and metal. Even if you dislike electronic music, you need to check this album out.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Salt In The Wounds, Set Me On Fire, The Island (both parts), Self Vs. Self, The Fountain

#19: Katatonia - Dead End Kings (2012)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) The Parting (2) The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here (3) Hypnone (4) The Racing Heart (5) Buildings (6) Leech
(7) Ambitions (8) Undo You (9) Lethean (10) First Prayer (11) Dead Letters

Wait a minute! This album has barely been out for two months! Yes, it has been released quite recently. Now you shut your whore mouth because this album is freaking amazing and so much better than the rest of Katatonia’s discography that the difference is practically night and day. This was the album I had been hoping Katatonia would release ever since I became a fan of them. All the filler has been removed. Every song on the album is great. Each song has its own memorable elements, as opposed to every one sounding nearly exactly the same. While the classic Katatonia mood is still as present as ever, and they haven’t tried much new stuff in terms of song structure, Dead End Kings is fantastic from start to finish. It also feels much warmer than their prior albums while still being incredibly melancholy, making it the perfect “rainy day” album in my opinion. The first track, The Parting, alternates between a bombastic chorus and quiet verses in typical Katatonia fashion, The Racing Heart is one of the most emotional songs you’ll ever hear, and The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here is completely new-sounding for the band, featuring female vocals, a simple grungy guitar riff and an excellent use of background vocals to create a truly hypnotic and relaxing song. After ten excellent tracks, the album closes with its best song, Dead Letters. This album completely blew my expectations out of the water, and features virtually none of the complaints I had with their previous records. Well done, Katatonia. Well done.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
The Parting, The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here, The Racing Heart, Dead Letters

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2012, 10:37:16 PM »
Watercolour!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2012, 11:00:33 PM »

Catch Thirtythree isn't even on the list.
Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams. :P

No sweat dude. Combustion is basically the only song I know by them anyway.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Onno

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2012, 03:46:14 AM »
Holy shit. I still need to listen to the Katatonia album, but I was curious about the Pendulum album. Saw this guys live @ Sonisphere 2009 in Holland, and I thought they weren't that good. Moreover, I generally hate electronic music. But then I listened to that song they did together with In Flames (I'm an IF fan), and it was quite good. And then I listened to Salt in the Water. Congratulations dude, you just made me find an electronic song that I actually quite like for the first time ever.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
Can't really say I like Katatonia.  When they were playing with Devin Townsend I just wanted them to get off the stage so Devy could get on.  It seemed like every song started off heavy as fuck, then transitioned into the singer singing in the same pattern/range the entire time, going back to the heavy music, and then the singer doing the same thing again, and again.

Hella sweet album cover though  :biggrin:

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give them another chance, so maybe I'll pop them on at work tonight.