Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The End  (Read 30804 times)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.iPods & Xboxes
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
Excellent album! I completely agree with what you said about Barbieri. He's a huge part of the music and I love the atmosphere that he provides.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »
them last two records are indicative of just how stellar a year 2007 was. a couple of masterpieces.

combine nil recurring with FOABP, and i'd have a hard time arguing against it as possibly being the greatest. album. ever.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2012, 12:11:16 AM »
I'm one of the only people who call Sleep Together the best of the album. Think Zantera is the only other one who agrees.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2012, 12:51:04 AM »
I've tried it once. I didn't click. However I liked the title song and Anesthetize.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2012, 01:51:52 AM »
Epic album!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2012, 04:15:55 AM »
Title-track not in your favourite tracks = fail.

Nah, kidding, but this album is amazing. About my 4th or 5th favourite from PT I think.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »
LOVE FOaBP :heart

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »
I've tried it once. I didn't click...

must try harder
aka must try more

Offline Ruba

« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2012, 12:30:45 AM »
I've tried it once. I didn't click...

must try harder
aka must try more

Perhaps. I've heard some other PT and it sounded alright. And I love the title song.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Exclamation Point!
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2012, 06:59:05 PM »
#7: Devin Townsend - Addicted (2009)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Addicted! (2) Universe In A Ball! (3) Bend It Like Bender! (4) Supercrush! (5) Hyperdrive! (6) Resolve! (7) Ih-Ah!
(8) The Way Home! (9) Numbered! (10) Awake!!

What a coincidence that we’ve gone from one of the most depressing albums ever made to one of the most, happy, upbeat, and energetic albums ever made. Devin Townsend has made tons of amazing stuff over the years, and this is one of his greatest accomplishments. How would I describe this album? Well, it’s like a show where half the crowd is moshing and the other half is disco dancing. It’s a very heavy record, with huge, crushing guitars and Devin’s powerful screaming vocals, but it’s mixed with lots of electronic and pop influences. While that might sound terrible on paper, it works out amazingly well. Nobody could have made a record that sounds quite like this besides Devin. It strikes the perfect balance between heavy and accessible, and its constantly upbeat and energy-filled vibe is absolutely infectious. Putting this record on is like injecting yourself with a combination of ecstasy and caffeine. It’s perfect for Friday afternoons when you’re all done with work or school or whatever, and have nothing but the weekend ahead of you. It’s a pretty short album, but not a second is wasted, and each song is great. The opening track, Addicted!, sets the tone for what’s to come with a brutal but upbeat and catchy-as-hell riff. That song then transitions directly into the amazing Universe In A Ball!, which, like a lot of the record, would fit perfectly in both a heavy metal show and a sweet rave party. Most tracks on the album feature female vocals by Anneke Van Giersbergen, and she really adds a lot to the music. This is especially noticeable on the track Hyperdrive!, which she sings lead vocals on, and does a freaking amazing job, too. The album closes with Awake!!, which brings all the album’s elements together into a satisfying and uplifting conclusion. This record is truly a work of genius, both in concept and execution. It’s so well done and unique-sounding that it sounds like a completely new genre of music, almost. While it may be a little TOO happy for some people (I feel bad for those guys), it’s an amazing record that I’d recommend to nearly everyone, and if for some unfathomable reason you’re reading this and haven’t checked Devin Townsend’s work out yet, this would be a great place to start.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Addicted!, Universe In A Ball!, Hyperdrive!, Awake!!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »
It’s perfect for Friday afternoons when you’re all done with work or school or whatever, and have nothing but the weekend ahead of you.
This is exactly how I feel about this album. I just got this album in August and I've been listened to it almost every Friday on the way home from school. Perfect way to end the week.

My favorites are Supercrush!, Hyperdrive!, and Numbered!. Anneke's voice is perfect for the music.

Offline adace

« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »
Absolutely fantastic album. One of my all time favorites.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »
good call on FOABP . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2012, 03:02:53 AM »
Addicted is a great abum. Bend It Like Bender! was the first track from Devin that I really got into.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.I like my eggs broiled AND THAT'S IT
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
#6: Unexpect - In A Flesh Aquarium (2006)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Chromatic Chimera (2) Feasting Fools (3) Desert Urbania (4) Summoning Scenes (5) Silence 011010701
(6) Megalomaniac Trees (7) The Shiver - Another Dissonant Chord (8) The Shiver - Meet Me At The Carrousel
(9) The Shiver - A Clown's Mindtrap (10) Psychic Jugglers

This album was originally a lot lower on my list, but damn. Whenever I think about this record, I start orgasming. As I mentioned in my write-up for Fables Of The Sleepless Empire, In A Flesh Aquarium is sheer insanity. It’s hands-down one of the craziest albums ever made in the history of Earth, and it’s freaking AMAZING. It never feels like it’s being insane for the sake of being insane. There is undeniably a method to its madness, and it’s actually a lot more structured than you might expect. As a result, it hits the sweet spot of being absolutely crazy while still having fantastic composition. If you can handle the style of the music, this record has pretty much everything you could want. It has great flow, there’s barely any weak sections on the album, there’s plenty of variety to hold your attention throughout, and while it will definitely take multiple listens to fully absorb, every song on the record is great in its own way. Chromatic Chimera is everything an opener track should be. It has great energy, sets the tone for the rest of the album, and I can’t image a better introduction for it. It starts out with an unsettling but melodic intro that builds up in intensity into it drops into absolute madness that persists for the rest of the record. The following three tracks continue this style while introducing new elements and memorable segments to keep things interesting. Things actually cool down a bit in the second half of the album, with the ambient instrumental Silence 011010701 that sits right on the line between disturbing and soothing, and is definitely one of the more underrated songs on the record. That track is followed up by Megalomaniac Trees, which actually contains some really fast but melodic and catchy chorus sections. That’s not to say that the album loses its craziness as it approaches the end, as a matter or fact, it saves the most insane for last. Psychic Jugglers, the big closer, holds absolutely nothing back, is an absolute mindfuck, and might actually be the band’s best song. Words can’t really do it justice. Heck, that’s actually how I’d describe the whole album. I can talk for days about how amazing, insane, and amazingly insane it is, but the only way to really know what I’m talking about is to experience it for yourself. Give it a listen, if you dare…

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Chromatic Chimera, Desert Urbania, Megalomaniac Trees, Psychic Jugglers
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »
No Unexpect fans in this thread?
FOR SHAME.

Offline Jiangsu

« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »
No Unexpect fans in this thread?
FOR SHAME.

Well, what did you expect...?   

I'll get my coat..... :blush

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
I like Fables more, but that's an excellent album too.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »
Unexpect! :heart :heart :heart :heart

I put Fables higher on my list, but honestly if you put me on the spot I'd definitely pause when deciding which is better. This one is definitely one of the more insane albums out there.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »
i think fables reaches higher highs  :hat but flesh aquarium is damn strong right through. t'was my favorite metal OAT until I couldn't decide following the release of Colors a year later.

if u hadn't typed "I like my eggs broiled and that's it!" i probably would have (er um, I guess I just did). totes the go-to line of the album.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.FOR TONIGHT, WE RIDE!!!
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2012, 07:51:59 PM »
#5: Strapping Young Lad - Alien (2005)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Imperial (2) Skeksis (3) Shitstorm (4) Love? (5) Shine (6) We Ride (7) Possessions (8) Two Weeks
(9) Thalamus (10) Zen (11) Info Dump

If you thought In A Flesh Aquarium was the most insane thing on my list… Well, it is. But this album comes pretty damn close. Hands-down the angriest record Devin Townsend has ever done, listening to Alien is like running over a crowd of pedestrians with a rocket-powered steamroller. Ridiculously heavy, always pissed-off, yet surprisingly catchy at times, this is, in my eyes, THE metal record. Imagine every good quality extracted from every genre of metal on the planet, rolled into one, injected with steroids, and let loose. If you’re in a bad mood, this record is anger management in the form of music. Devin is absolutely PISSED on this album, and songs like the aptly named Shitstorm more than show it. That’s not to say that the composition on Alien is just a bunch of angry noise; nothing could the further from the truth. Songs like Skeksis are sprawling, melodic, and technical while still being brutal as hell. Special mention must be made of the drummer Gene Hoglan on this album; he lays down some of the al-time best drum work in all of metal. Alien has no bad tracks, a great roller coaster-like flow that speeds along most of the time but still has a few sections to cool down, and most of the band’s best songs are found on this record. The song Love? is my personal favorite, combining absolutely brutal but catchy guitar riffs with a good amount of melody and a soaring chorus. We Ride is only two and a half minutes long, but it’s one of the best songs on the album due to its ridiculously fast tempo, crazy guitar solos and awesome lyrics. Zen, the last “real” song on the record, is also fantastic. Honestly, I could do a track-by-track review for this album and have lots of positive things to say about every one of them. They also avoid the typical metal record trap of all sounding the same; each one is special in its own way. Not much else to say besides that if you like metal of any kind, you’ll love this album. Prepare yourself, and check it out.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Skeksis, Shitstorm, Love?, We Ride

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »
I think this CD was stolen from my car (along with a lot of other stuff) on Christmas eve 2005. I remember liking what I heard a fair bit and Love? is just a really good, simple groovin asskicker. I should get it again.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2012, 01:18:12 AM »
ALIEN :heart

We Ride is awesome, one of my favourite metal songs ever.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »
I'm glad this thing is almost over...

I'll probably get a lot of shit for #4, not for the band, but for the album choice.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »
inb4 Lulu.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
I'm eager for this one. :)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »
I've been a Devin Townsend fan for a few months but I never listened to Strapping Young Lad until today. I listened to Love? and I'm hooked.  Going to get Alien after Christmas when I have some money. :metal

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »
An disliked album by a well-liked band on this site.

St. Anger?

Test For Echo?

Love Beach?
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »
No Metallica or Rush, sorry.

I do like the first two songs on St. Anger though.
OH SHIT

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2012, 03:10:57 AM »
inb4 Falling into Infinity, Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Mladen

« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
Ooh, I'm always happy to see a controversial choice on one of these lists. Mostly because it usually happens to be an album I like as well.  ;D

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »
Alien is a monster of an album, but City shits all over it. Props for mentioning Chickenfeather, as it's a great album in its own right, but I can't imagine it ever getting to my top 50.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.SO HEAVY SOUND, YAAAH
« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »
#4: Dream Theater - Train Of Thought (2003)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) As I Am (2) This Dying Soul (3) Endless Sacrifice (4) Honor Thy Father (5) Vacant
(6) Stream Of Consciousness (7) In The Name Of God

This probably won’t come as much of surprise, since we’re on a forum about them, but Dream Theater is, and probably will continue to be for a long time, my all-time favorite band. While my musical tastes have branched out a huge amount since I first discovered them, and while they aren’t exactly perfect, they’re still the best band I’ve ever come across, and for a long time, Train Of Thought was my number one favorite album of all time. So, why do I love this album so much? Well, same reasons why a good chunk of the fanbase dislikes it, I suppose. I love the huge amount of heaviness. I love the ridiculous, wanky instrumental sections. I love the anger; I love the balls-out style. But what makes this album far superior to say, Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds & Silver Linings is that instead of letting the metal elements overpower the progressive elements, Train Of Thought throws in as much of both as it possibly can and cranks both of them up to unfathomable levels. In my eyes, this album is the band throwing every single element of their sound together and supercharging them to ridiculous proportions. And while that might turn a lot of people off, I fucking LOVE it. Like a lot of my all-time favorite albums, this record is pretty insane, hands-down the craziest thing the band has ever done. Who needs subtlety when you can do a ridiculous album this damn well? Train Of Thought has perhaps the highest amount of energy of any record I’ve ever listened to. After the first track, the record kicks up to full-speed and heads into one of my absolute favorite strings of songs on an album. This Dying Soul is absolutely insane. It never stops to take a break, and instead repeatedly fucks your brain with wave after wave of breakneck-speed, brutal, technical goodness. Endless Sacrifice starts out with some calm verses and a heavy chorus, then breaks into one of the band’s greatest instrumental sections, which is saying a lot. Ridiculous solos, heavy riffs, and a perfectly fast tempo make it perhaps the best segment on the album. Think things are going to cool down after that? Hahahahaha, NO. Time for Honor Thy Father. It really took a lot of balls for Dream Theater to follow up three immensely heavy tracks with their angriest song ever. I absolutely love this track. Hell, I even love the lyrics. Angry music is just a joy to listen to for me, and this song absolutely nails that vibe. Finally, after the fourth brutal track in a row has finished and the level of heaviness is at a complete bursting point, the album realizes it’s time to cool down and heads into the soft, melancholy ballad Vacant. While it’s just an okay song on its own, its place in the album is absolutely perfect. If it were cut from the album, the whole thing would have collapsed under its own weight. But no, it provides a much-needed breather before the record gets back into gear for the final two tracks. Anyways, this write-up is getting overly long so I gotta wrap things up. In conclusion, I can see why this album isn’t liked by everyone. It’s unapologetically heavy, never subtle, and mostly one-dimensional. But that’s exactly why it clicks so well with me. It might not be my favorite album of all time anymore, but I still absolutely love it to pieces.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice, Honor Thy Father, Stream Of Consciousness

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #173 on: December 14, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »
The thread-title made me hope this was Awake, but instead we got this. It's decent, but nowhere near favourite DT album for me. In fact, it's in my bottom three.
Squ

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2012, 04:58:03 PM »
Don't like this album at all.  :sadpanda: