Author Topic: Genesis Discography  (Read 54540 times)

Offline Unlegit

Re: Genesis: Live Over Europe 2007 and Epilogue
« Reply #420 on: January 20, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »
Thanks for doing all these write-ups!  :tup

I didn't really participate in the discussions, but I sure read everything. Thanks again!

Offline tedesco23

Re: Genesis: Live Over Europe 2007 and Epilogue
« Reply #421 on: January 20, 2013, 03:21:09 PM »
I'll echo the thanks for this thread. Genesis was not my first prog love--I was a metal fan first, and wound my way from Maiden to DT to Rush to Yes to a number of other bands before finally getting to Genesis pretty late, when I was in college (mid-90s). I'm no Genesis fanatic--but I think they grew as young musicians into one of the best albums ever recorded (Selling England by the Pound) before experiencing some growing pains, then managing to more absolutely wonderful albums (Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering) before starting a long, slow, pretty sad demise. I have other albums of theirs--Duke, Foxtrot, Lamb, a few others--but these are the three I return to most.

It's been a lot of fun visiting the whole catalog here.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Genesis
« Reply #422 on: August 24, 2013, 09:08:49 AM »
From the Chicago thread:
Good luck on getting into the early Genesis.  It's definitely different from their later stuff, and folks who started with the later, more popular version of Genesis don't always take to the earlier material.

Don't get me wrong, I was never into Genesis at all. I would sing a long with Radio hits but I never had a desire to collect their music. Pre-Abacab I just literally didn't know existed until about 1998. I've tried on several different occasions to absorb/appreciate their music mainly because of folks like you who's opinions I admire. But, I struggle...mightily. I thought this thread would be my last best shot.

Being an insomniac (you know how it is at our age) I found myself up at 2:00 am last night and had a go at From Genesis to Revelation , Trespass and Nursery Cryme while reading along with this thread. Aren't headphones a wonderful thing while the wife and pets sleep? Any way, I'm going to need to re-listen to at least NC and maybe Trespass because so far only The Knife stood out to me as worthy of an iTunes purchase.

I have some real hurdles with trying to get into this band but this isn't a thread (or site really) for negativity. The kindest way for me to put it is I like rock and roll and I really like rock and roll bands to rock out! I get, and adore, that Art Rock (Prog) has all these different influences, moments, inspiration and elements. To me Genesis is more Modern Performance Music if there is such a genre... I don't know, I want to appreciate but I may never get it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: August 24, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
Thanks for this thread. I've largely missed Genesis in my catalog. Born in 1978 and really when I was young appreciated Invisible Touch and Phil's solo efforts listening to the radio while in the car with my dad. 

It wasn't until the early 90s when I started to find my own musical way, and the 90s were about grunge and metal for me.  It's taken me until this last decade to really go back and examine things I've missed due to age and closed minded taste of music in the 90s.

That said I've got MOST of the Genesis discography on the way to me (used). Save for the live albums, Duke, Genesis, From Genesis to Revelation and finally Calling All Stations. 

So I guess, aside from Duke I will have the most beloved of the Genesis library. I cannot wait to sink my teeth into it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #424 on: August 24, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »
From the Chicago thread:
Good luck on getting into the early Genesis.  It's definitely different from their later stuff, and folks who started with the later, more popular version of Genesis don't always take to the earlier material.

Don't get me wrong, I was never into Genesis at all. I would sing a long with Radio hits but I never had a desire to collect their music. Pre-Abacab I just literally didn't know existed until about 1998. I've tried on several different occasions to absorb/appreciate their music mainly because of folks like you who's opinions I admire. But, I struggle...mightily. I thought this thread would be my last best shot.

Being an insomniac (you know how it is at our age) I found myself up at 2:00 am last night and had a go at From Genesis to Revelation , Trespass and Nursery Cryme while reading along with this thread. Aren't headphones a wonderful thing while the wife and pets sleep? Any way, I'm going to need to re-listen to at least NC and maybe Trespass because so far only The Knife stood out to me as worthy of an iTunes purchase.

I have some real hurdles with trying to get into this band but this isn't a thread (or site really) for negativity. The kindest way for me to put it is I like rock and roll and I really like rock and roll bands to rock out! I get, and adore, that Art Rock (Prog) has all these different influences, moments, inspiration and elements. To me Genesis is more Modern Performance Music if there is such a genre... I don't know, I want to appreciate but I may never get it.

Supper's Ready.....please God, go listen to Supper's Ready!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: August 24, 2013, 11:47:53 AM »

Jammin,

I've had Supper's Ready, well all of Foxtrot really, on my music player for a few years. I've yet to see why it elicits responses like yours from people. My best friend gave me the album for my birthday a few years ago and told me that I should be familiar with Supper's Ready simply because it was considered an important moment in the development of progressive rock. A few weeks later I asked him what he thought of it because I was having difficulty finding anything of merit in the music. He laughed and said, "There's a reason I haven't listened to it since the 80's. Gabriel Genesis is crap." And then he laughed himself sick.

*shrug*

Offline jammindude

« Reply #426 on: August 24, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
To each their own, I guess....

The soft beginning, building to the lunacy of Willow Farm...then crescendoing into the Apocalypse in 9/8...and then the majestic repeated theme at the end.   I view it as the quintessential progressive rock song....the blueprint for which all other sidelong epics would ever be constructed from....and IMO, the greatest rock song ever recorded.

But...other people's mileage varies...

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #427 on: August 24, 2013, 12:11:45 PM »
Well, obviously different people have different tastes.  Most artists do what they like to do, and if other people also like what they do, then cool.  If not, oh well.  The Art Rock movement was all about pushing boundaries, seeing how many other influences and outright craziness you could include, and still call it rock and roll.  It doesn't work for everyone.

There's a lot of prog that I like, and a lot that I don't like.  Most of the time, though, I can at least appreciate what they were trying to do.  And sometimes it really did come out crap.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: August 26, 2013, 06:54:40 AM »
Second listen through Nursery Cryme without having first listening to the previous albums helped a lot. The Return Of The Giant Hogweed is worth the price of admission alone. I'll maybe do a third listen and then move on.

There's a lot of prog that I like, and a lot that I don't like.  Most of the time, though, I can at least appreciate what they were trying to do.  And sometimes it really did come out crap.
Look, I may have given you fellas the wrong impression. I readily admit the deficiency is mine and I'm determined to remedy that if I can. Genesis is full of talented musicians and songwriters. I do appreciate what they were trying to do. Something in my personal biases based on where I've been in my life these past 50+ years is messing with me. I love so much music that is similar to early Genesis that it makes little sense for me to struggle so.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #429 on: August 26, 2013, 07:55:47 AM »
I guess it was the comment that you were having difficulty finding anything of merit in the music.  That can mean different things, but it just seemed wrong coming from someone with such a diverse musical background as yourself.  But like I said, there can be differences in meaning.  I consider something worthy of appreciation, even if I don't like the result, if there is artistic merit.  And early Genesis may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's hard to deny their incredible musicianship.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: August 26, 2013, 08:08:56 AM »
My copy of Foxtrot came from a used vendor with missing bits of the top label that made the disk transparent in spots.   :censored

I guess I need to get them to send me another copy.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: August 26, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »
I guess it was the comment that you were having difficulty finding anything of merit in the music.  That can mean different things, but it just seemed wrong coming from someone with such a diverse musical background as yourself.  But like I said, there can be differences in meaning.  I consider something worthy of appreciation, even if I don't like the result, if there is artistic merit.  And early Genesis may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's hard to deny their incredible musicianship.

Yes, poor choice of words on my part. I've always had difficulty communicating precisely.

We all expect music to move us to a certain degree. I'm not a very emotional guy so what I hope to gain by listening to music is a sense of excitement and on that rare occasion awe. And while I'll readily admit to their remarkable musicianship--I'm most impressed with Collins and Rutherford--and even superior lyrical poetry I'm having difficulty with the excitement part. This thread really does help. It's fun to read everyone's thoughts and about your excitement.

I'm progressing...

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Genesis Discography
« Reply #432 on: August 26, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »
'Tis cool.  We're on the same page. :tup

On a side note, I've renamed this thread to "Genesis Discography" to distinguish it from the "Genesis Appreciation" thread and hopefully cut down on the confusion.  I didn't want my discography threads to clog up the appreciation threads for the respective bands, but it was kinda funky renaming them for each new entry (which I felt was important) and funkier still once they were done.  I think this will help.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Genesis: Invisible Touch (1986)
« Reply #433 on: August 26, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »
I personally know the girl that Invisible Touch was written about.

Story/Pics/Proof or BS.  :justjen

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: August 26, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »
Okay, I had one more run through Nursery Cryme and enjoyed the trip much more than previously. I have hopes for future listens when I came back to it.

I put on Foxtrot and because I was already familiar with it, plus it has a similar vibe as NC, I got bored with it quickly. So, after lunch I decided I'd come back to Foxtrot another time and moved on to Selling England By The Pound since I have never heard it before.

I'm not sure what the difference is but I was excited by the experience and can't wait to listen to it again!  Woohoo :lol

Orbert, do you feel that I'm cluttering this thread? I'm a little confused by your earlier announcement.  ??? I figured this was the appropriate place for me to share my experience and thoughts about this particular journey through their discography.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #435 on: August 26, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »
Since you're working your way through the discography, the discography thread can't be considered the wrong place IMO.

But about my comment.  I browse DTF via the "Show new replies to your posts" button.  The first thing I always check is threads that I'm currently participating in.  The other day, it showed new replies in both the Genesis Appreciation thread and a thread just called "Genesis" which I didn't even remember.  It was my discography thread; I must've gotten lazy with the renaming.  So I renamed it, again.  My "announcement" was just to clarify that I'd done so.  Since it caused some confusion, I should've just kept quiet.  I have trouble doing that sometimes.

I think of the Genesis Appreciation thread, or any Appreciation thread, for "general" appreciation posts.  Somebody picks up a new CD, or hears a song for the first time in a while and wants to post about it, or ask a question, that kind of thing.  My discographies are specific efforts to study how a band's sound has changed over the years because of the passage of time and/or changes in membership.  So like I said, since you're working through the discography, your journey parallels the thread and therefore it's appropriate to comment here.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #436 on: August 26, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »

Jammin,

I've had Supper's Ready, well all of Foxtrot really, on my music player for a few years. I've yet to see why it elicits responses like yours from people. My best friend gave me the album for my birthday a few years ago and told me that I should be familiar with Supper's Ready simply because it was considered an important moment in the development of progressive rock. A few weeks later I asked him what he thought of it because I was having difficulty finding anything of merit in the music. He laughed and said, "There's a reason I haven't listened to it since the 80's. Gabriel Genesis is crap." And then he laughed himself sick.

*shrug*
The first time I ever heard Supper's Ready was on Seconds Out.  I'm not sure if that is the main reason, but that has always been my favorite version of the song.  The double drums in Apocalypse in 9/8 and the slower tempo at the end of the song are things that stand out as vast improvements over the original.  I also prefer live versions with Gabriel in the band where the two things I just mentioned don't come in to play.

To me the standout track on Foxtrot is "Can Utility and the Coastliners".  This short song has a lot of things I love about early Genesis: 12 String acoustic guitars, melotron, and awesome bass and drum playing.  It is only missing a signature Steve Hackett guitar solo.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #437 on: August 26, 2013, 07:29:09 PM »
I still think Duke's Suite is the best thing the band has done.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #438 on: August 26, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »
Wow Podaar, I never thought I'd meet another person on this board who's been as underwhelmed with Supper's Ready as I am.  :lol

I find Foxtrot as a whole really underwhelming.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #439 on: August 27, 2013, 01:55:57 AM »
I still think Duke's Suite is the best thing the band has done.
If it was one track it would be top 3 for sure!
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #440 on: August 27, 2013, 11:08:54 PM »
Supper's Ready is the quintessential prog epic as far as I'm concerned. It has drama, atmosphere, zaniness and keeps my interest for the entire song. Yes attempted the side long epic several times, it often worked but it still took time for them to refine. Genesis perfected it on their first try.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #441 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:56 AM »
I don't know about that.  "Close to the Edge" was the first epic from Yes, and many consider it to be about as good as it gets.  Most prog polls for Best Epic end up "Supper's Ready" and "Close to the Edge" as the top two with "Close to the Edge" coming out on top just as often.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #442 on: August 28, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »
Close to the Edge is a pretty fantastic song, but it doesn't touch the glory of Suppers Ready IMO.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #443 on: August 28, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
I don't know about that.  "Close to the Edge" was the first epic from Yes, and many consider it to be about as good as it gets.  Most prog polls for Best Epic end up "Supper's Ready" and "Close to the Edge" as the top two with "Close to the Edge" coming out on top just as often.
I think CTE is great and is one of my favorites but I dunno, Supper's Ready just takes it to a completely new level. There are parts of CTE that I think could've used some improvement.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #444 on: August 28, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »
I'm completely opposite of you, Mosh. I think Close to the Edge is a lot more mature than Supper's Ready. Yes was really on top of their game then. The first and last five minutes of Supper's Ready is absolutely ethereal, but sometimes the middle fifteen are a chore.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #445 on: August 28, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »
I'm completely opposite of you, Mosh. I think Close to the Edge is a lot more mature than Supper's Ready. Yes was really on top of their game then. The first and last five minutes of Supper's Ready is absolutely ethereal, but sometimes the middle fifteen are a chore.

:justjen

See for me, that song just *TAKES OFF* at.....   "A Flower??"

If you watch the DVD interviews with the band, Banks says (and I whole heartedly agree) that he felt that the song was dragging a bit in the middle when they were writing it....but then they had been working on a separate piece which became "Willow Farm", and he felt that when they added that section in the middle, it broke things up enough in the middle that it really *MADE* that song.   

Offline Mosh

« Reply #446 on: August 28, 2013, 09:37:18 PM »
Willow Farm was the part that really grabbed me on the first listen. I can see how the middle section can be seen as dragging, but I like the ominous vibe and dark atmosphere.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #447 on: August 28, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »
Don't get me wrong; I love "Supper's Ready".  But it's too obviously made up of other parts of things that they found ways to put together.  "Close to the Edge" is a unified work from start to finish.  It actually has a very basic structure: two verses (The Solid Time of Change, Total Mass Retain), a break (I Get Up, I Get Down), a solo, and the recapitulation (Seasons of Man).  It's the kind of epic that's a song on a large scale, not the kind which goes through a bunch of different movements, although it does that also.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #448 on: August 28, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »
Maybe that's why I prefer Supper, actually. Listening to it is like going on an adventure, with a ton of twists and turns. Close To The Edge does feel like a more unified piece, it certainly doesn't feel like 20 minutes. All of these things are positive traits, as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #449 on: August 31, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »
I prefer The Cinema Show.
Other favorites are In the Cage and The Knife  :metal
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #450 on: August 31, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »
DAT BASS on The Knife
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #451 on: September 01, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »
My copy of Foxtrot came from a used vendor with missing bits of the top label that made the disk transparent in spots.   :censored

I guess I need to get them to send me another copy.

Looks like you got a case of the pinholes.  That stuff plagued a lot of the earlier discs. They should play through.

It was one of the early manufacturing defects.  A few of my Rush CDs have that.

Unacceptable for someone to sell you that without mentioning it though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #452 on: February 20, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »
bump.

Supper's Ready Illustrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4HfFwVy-h0

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #453 on: October 20, 2018, 06:19:19 AM »
Part I – The Gabriel Era

Like Yes, I was introduced to Genesis sometime in the 80’s by their POP hits. I even have both Genesis and Invisible Touch CD’s in my collection – purchased sometime way back in the late 80’s. Unfortunately, back in the 80’s there was no Genesis classic compilation album to act as a bridge and provide access to their earlier work in a neat, concise package for someone trying to get into the band like there was for Yes. I was familiar with only a few of the 70’s songs via the local radio: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Squonk and Follow You Follow Me and that’s it.
So having moved through the Yes discography, I moved on to Genesis. The Den had me covered with every title available and various generations of remasters for many. This was new territory so to speak and I really didn’t know what to expect.

Like Yes, I don’t have and have not heard their first album.

Trespass
Though not quite as proggy as the later albums I really like this one. I put this one on often when I’m working on the computer. Every track is good and I don’t skip a song. With the exception of The Knife the songs do sound similar but they are unique enough that they stand out from each other.

Nursery Cryme
This was the first album I listened to, The Musical Box being my entry into the world of classic Genesis beyond the few songs mentioned above. I was impressed. Dynamic, shifting back and forth between lighter and heavier sections, it was nothing like I expected from hearing their 80’s albums. The sound they presented on Trespass was still present in songs like Seven Stones but The Musical Box, The Return Of The Giant Hogweed and The Fountain Of Salmacis really pushed their composition and sound to a new level.

I was impressed and anxious to get to the rest of albums.

Foxtrot
I agree that this album and Nursery Cryme have a very similar sound. Like its predecessor I like everything on this album. Get ‘Em Out By Friday didn’t grab me right away as I don’t typically like songs with “talking” in lieu of “singing” but the music is excellent and the dynamics keep it interesting. Can-Utility And The Coastliners showcases some awesome guitar / keyboard interplay.
I’d heard of Supper’s Ready in conversations with people when I would talk about Dream Theater’s long epics so I was really looking forward to hearing this. I like it a lot because it’s a different take on the long form epic style song but still has the unique genesis sound. I do think it has that patched together sound but it doesn’t distract from the great piece of music it is.

Selling England By The Pound
Definitely a step ahead of the previous two, this is my favorite of the Gabriel era Genesis albums. The Battle Of Epping Forest is the weakest of the four longer tracks as the first few minutes seem to drag and the “talking” brings it down a bit for me. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight, Firth Of Fifth and Cinema Show are all top 10 songs to me. More Fool Me is the only track I skip. Banks’ keyboards and Hackett’s guitar really shine on this album.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Putting the convoluted story (lyrics) aside, this album is musically on par with Selling England By The Pound to me. Genesis pack a lot of different styles into this album making it somewhat of a summary of the style of music written during the Gabriel era. The first album is pretty solid - The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging is only song I dislike. The second album is dragged down a bit by the uninteresting instrumental passages like The Waiting Room and Ravine. In The Rapids is a slow grind but seems more of an intro to It which itself is just okay. Don’t ask me about the story as I don’t have a clue as to what Gabriel was trying to get at. It doesn’t really bother me though and I can enjoy the album without having to embrace the story.

I listen to all of these albums on a semi-regular basis.