Author Topic: Genesis Discography  (Read 54907 times)

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Re: Genesis: Trespass (1970)
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 09:39:32 AM »
It's an awesome album, but, uh, isn't there cello on Foxtrot too? I'm pretty sure it's credited on there.

You are correct!  I don't think I've ever heard it on Foxtrot.  It must either be in with all the textured stuff, or I thought it was either guitar or synth.

I've never quite worked out where it is on it either, I'm either going to guess it's likely to be either Supper's Ready or Can-Utility, but there could be some in the intro to Watcher. Either way, there is at least one thing that they used to use the cello on live (as Rutherford once bowed after a performance and accidentally lifted up someone's skirt with the top of the cello.)

Damn, I am reminded of my desire to have a cello again, damn it.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Genesis: Nursery Cryme (1971)
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 09:01:04 PM »
Genesis: Nursery Cryme (1971)

Tony Banks - Keyboards, Guitar, Backing Vocals
Phil Collins - Drums, Percussion, Vocals
Peter Gabriel - Lead Vocals, Flute, Percussion
Steve Hackett - Guitars, Bass
Mike Rutherford -  Bass, Bass Pedals, Guitars, Backing Vocals

----------

The Musical Box
For Absent Friends
The Return of the Giant Hogweed
Seven Stones
Harold the Barrel
Harlequin
The Fountain of Salmacis

----------

After Trespass, Anthony Phillips left the band, and the remaining members asked drummer John Mayhew to leave as well.  They were never really happy with his work, and it seemed as good a time as any to regroup and rethink the direction of the band.

The decision was made to find a new drummer first, then see about finding another guitarist.  After all, Mike played both guitar and bass, and after acquiring a set of bass pedals, he could conceivably cover both parts.  Tony also played guitar and was amassing keyboards, and they discovered that his Hohner electric piano, with distortion applied, made a reasonable electric guitar substitute, and it only took one of Tony's hands, leaving his other hand free to play something else.  Writing therefore commenced on what would become Nursery Cryme, keeping in mind the possibility that they might ultimately be performing as a four-piece.

Meanwhile, drummer auditions were held at Peter Gabriel's family home.  Phil Collins arrived early, before they were ready to begin, so they asked him to wait.  Peter told him he could take a dip in the pool in the backyard if he wanted, and Phil did that.  At some point, the auditions began, with Phil still outside.  Phil listened to each of the other drummers, and by the time he came inside for his audition, he knew the music and his audition was excellent.  He was offerred the job, and became the first permanent drummer for Genesis.

The guitarist issue was solved when Peter saw an advertisement in trade magazine Melody Maker by a guitarist seeking musicians "determined to strive beyond existing stagnant music forms."  Peter contacted the guitarist in question, Steve Hackett, who it turns out had seen Genesis perform and was interested in auditioning.  Steve auditioned, and with writing finished on the new album and recording actually beginning, they didn't feel the need to look any further.  The classic five-piece Genesis lineup was complete.

Just as Trespass was a huge step forward from their debut, From Genesis to Revelation, so was Nursery Cryme yet another huge step forward.  The songs were becoming more sophisticated; some were actually short musical plays with the lyrics being parts by different characters within the play.  Peter's sense of theater was finding an outlet.  In those days, Peter was the only one standing during their performances; Mike, Steve, Tony, and Phil all played while seated.  Peter began creating costumes to wear onstage so that he could more convincingly portray the characters, and the sense of theater was further augmented by Peter telling stories, sometimes strange or downright bizarre, between songs.  They were actually ad-libbed, and necessary, to give the guitarists an opportunity to tune their guitars between songs.  But the overall effect was that of rather unique introductions to the songs, and it became an integral part of the show.

The music was also becoming more complex.  Even though most songs on Trespass ran the gamut from acoustic to full band, most impressions are that it is quite mellow, finally breaking loose with the closer, "The Knife".  This is partly due to the production, but also due to John Mayhew's rather tentative style of playing.  Phil Collins was anything but tentative in his playing with Genesis.  When the drums finally enter in the opener "The Musical Box," they are explosive.  The dynamic range which was actually quite impressive on Trespass is doubled again on Nursery Cryme.

Steve Hackett's playing also contributes to this, beginning where Ant Phillips left off.  Steve was capable of intricate acoustic playing, and also had a lead sound not unlike Ant's, but he had a few more weapons in his arsenal.  The intro to "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" -- played by Steve and Tony -- is one of the first known examples of "tapping", a technique later made more famous by Eddie Van Halen.  (Supposedly Eddie got the idea after seeing a Genesis concert.)

And finally, Nursery Cryme features the debut of Phil on lead vocals, "For Absent Friends."  The song, as with all songs written during this period, is credited to Genesis, so it's hard to tell exactly who wrote what.  On paper, all songs are credited to Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett/Rutherford.

As with Trespass, the cover art is by Paul Whitehead, who again drew his inspiration from the album itself.  In this case, the murderous little girl from "The Musical Box" is depicted on the cover, surrounded by the heads of her victims.

Wow, this took longer to write than I thought it would.  I'll let others comment first, and come back later.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:21:28 PM by Orbert »

Online The Letter M

Re: Genesis: Nursery Cryme (1971)
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 09:36:10 PM »
For me, NC is mostly well represented by it's 3 longest songs, and as you said Orbert, it's yet another leap forward in writing and production. The addition of Steve and Phil brought the music up another step, their intensity and ferocity gave their music a new edge, a harder edge, and the music also became a bit more complex.

This is a great album with a lot of different music. While the songs got longer between their debut and Trespass, much of the music on their sophomore effort was a bit the same, even the song-lengths. On Nursery Cryme, we're treated to tracks whose lengths span 1:44 to 10:24! Quite a change of pace, and all the songs are pretty unique and different from each other.

For me, the opening track will always stand out as a top-10 Genesis tune, and it's really exemplifies that classic Genesis sound, full of English-ness and changes throughout the piece.

I will definitely give this album a couple spins in the coming days!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »
I've never thought The Musical Box was that great.  It has some nice parts, but is merely a good song, not great.

The Fountain of Salmacis and The Return of the Giant Hogweed are both fantastic for sure though. 

I don't remember anything else from the album.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 11:17:58 PM »
I'm really only familiar with Harlequin and Harold the Barrel, thanks to an old Genesis mix tape my brother made for me back in the mid-late 90s.  Love both of those songs though, and I should again... be more familiar with Nursery Cryme. :facepalm:

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »
My favorite album of all time.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 02:31:20 AM »
Their first great album, I would consider it a near classic if it wasn't for Seven Stones and Salmacis which haven't really clicked with me.

Top Tier: For Absent Friends, The Return Of The Giant Hogweed, Harold the Barrel

Middle Tier: The Musical Box, Harlequin

Bottom Tier: Seven Stones, The Fountain Of Salmacis
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 04:02:21 AM »
The first of the "God tier" albums. And my third favorite Genesis album!

Song ranking:
1. The Musical Box (My 3rd favorite genesis song)
2. The Return of the Giant Hogweed
3. The Fountain of Salmacis
4. Harold the Barrel
5. Seven Stones
6. For Absent Friends
7. Harlequin

Keep in mind that the distance between 2 and 7 is very small. I actually consider this one of genesis most consistent albums.

Also, Deb, you need to fix that ASAP :o
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 07:24:33 AM »
I worked my way backwards through the Genesis discography in the mid-80s, and arrived at Nursery Cryme in late 1985, buying it and Foxtrot on the same day with a gift certificate I'd gotten for Christmas. I also bought Grim Reaper's See You In Hell with the certificate, but that's nowhere near relevant to the conversation. I was already familiar with a tiny bit of the album thanks to already owning Seconds Out, which featured the closing section of The Musical Box after The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, so I was eager to hear the entire song, but in truth, I was more eager to play Foxtrot, and in fact, listened to that before I got to Nursery Cryme. More on that later.

Nursery Cryme, though, when I played it, was still pretty fantastically interesting. Genesis hadn't quite arrived yet, as some of the ideas on the album, especially The Musical Box, were composed with Anthony Philips, and some elements of the band's sound weren't quite in place. In particular, Phil Collins' drum sound wasn't quite that solid WHAP that he was come to be known for, and Hackett's lead sound was a bit more distorted than it wound up being in later years. But all the pieces are there, and were being assembled. The Musical Box was a statement of intent for the band, with it's long, suite like direction and off-kilter theatrical story, and it's the blueprint for Supper's Ready. Hearing Phil sing For Absent Friends was a bit of a revelation for me back then, as I'd assumed his only lead vocal credit before then was More Fool Me. (As for the songwriting credit on that song, I've seen a video interview with the band where Phil says he and Hackett wrote the song as sort of a way to introduce themselves to the songwriting for the band.) There's so much going on with the album, but the thing I want to cite is Phil's drumming. Phil Collins takes a lot of smack for how his commercial solo career ruined Genesis, and as such, his skill as a drummer tends to be forgotten, or failing that, reduced to That One Drum Fill From In The Air Tonight. But listen to him on The Musical Box, in particular his bass drum work. The first time I heard it, I honestly thought he was doing it on double bass, but no, it's just one foot. Phil's single foot bass drum speed rivals some of the best single-bass drumming in rock history, and is a skill that is largely forgotten by a lot of people today.

The album just moves from strength to strength, even on the second side, which doesn't have the benefit of the two classic epics on side one. Seven Stones is magnificent, with some lovely keyboard work, especially the mellotron at the end. Harold the Barrel is a weird little ditty that goes in a lot of directions in a few minutes, and Harlequin harkens back a bit to the earlier, more pastoral Genesis. And Fountain of Salmacis is a sprawling closer that packs a ton of drama in its eight minute run. Nursery Cryme is one of the best prog rock albums of the genre, and the band was only going to get better.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:50:34 AM by Jaq »
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2012, 07:34:52 AM »
Dammit Jaq, I had a post all ready to go, but you've said a lot of the same stuff as I did, and better.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 07:45:43 AM »
Ha ha, sorry man, but I love the hell out of Genesis, so I can get a bit wordy about them.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 08:42:11 AM »
I remember when I first heard this album.  I'd known that Genesis had been considered a prog band and that Peter Gabriel had sung for several years before hearing it.  The first actual classic lineup Genesis I heard was The Lamb, but that was a lot to take in, and not a good choice for the first thing to hear from the band.  Fast forward about 6 years and I was still interested in seriously giving this band a chance.

My brother and I used to go to a lot of record shows and would travel quite a bit for them.  We went to one in Kalamazoo, MI and I set forth just browsing.  I never go into these with an idea of what I'm going to buy; instead I look and if something piques my interest I buy it.  Someone had a bunch of old cassettes and as I was looking through them I saw NC.  For $0.99 I felt it was worth it.  I listened to it, then I listened to it again.  At that point I was hooked.  I can't explain what got me, but the whole thing was just amazing.  Fountain of Salmicis, The Musical Box, Harold the Barrel, all great songs.  I really liked the way that the lyrics to the songs told a story, sometimes grim, always fanciful.  To me this is the epitome of what a progressive rock band should be.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 09:02:16 AM »
This is my favourite Genesis album. I absolutely love it, and it was one of the first albums I ever owned (my father gave it to me for my 13th Birthday, along with Foxtrot). I love how it has the lovely accoustic sections and some of the most insanely bombastic stuff they ever did pretty much running from one to the other in the same song. I've always loved that bit where the organ chords come in at the beginning of the first solo in The Musical Box, all the interplay between the fuzz piano and the guitar in various things, the long form of many of the songs, the mellotron solo in Seven Stones, the whimsy of Harold The Barrel and everything about The Fountain Of Salmacis. I just love this album.

Oh, and can't forget the flute. In short, the entire album is truly amazing. I love it so damn much.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »
Ha ha, sorry man, but I love the hell out of Genesis, so I can get a bit wordy about them.  :lol

No problem!  I have the same issue.  :lol

It's interesting how many times we see this album and Foxtrot mentioned together.  In the late 70's, when I was first getting into Genesis, I was filling in the back catalogue and found a repackaging of these two together as a double LP.  No cover art, and only some liner notes. 

Later, just because I'm a completist, I picked up imports of each, with full cover art and liner notes.  Their jackets "opened up".  For some reason, that was always very important to me.  But to me, and apparently others here, these two albums are some kind of unofficial pair.

Anyway, I focused a lot more on the music than the vocals back then, and had no idea that Phil didn't actually sing much lead when Peter was still in the band.  I figured that they shared lead vocals, as they're both obviously great singers.  Their voices were even rather similar back then, so much so that I tended to get them mixed up if I wasn't paying attention.  "For Absent Friends" doesn't get a lot of love, which I guess is understandable, but I like the song a lot.  A nice little slice of life.  Yeah, that's Phil singing, but as I said, it never occurred to me that that was unusual on a "Gabriel-era" album.

Other cool things about this album:
  • The intro to "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" with Steve tapping and Tony on fuzzed Pianet.
  • The break in that same song, with Tony's 12/8 piano gliding seamlessly into Steve's 6/8 solo.
  • The "sudden death" of Harold the Barrel!
  • The intro/hook to "The Fountain of Salmacis" and how it seems a descendant of the "White Mountain" keyboard riff.  That arpeggiated thing that Tony does.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
I had the US Atlantic records release of Nursery Cryme, which bothered me because most of the rest of my Genesis vinyl was gatefold with the lyrics on the inside and that one wasn't. I always liked when bands would put out single albums with gatefold covers because then the artwork was usually pretty epic, inside and out, as you'll hear when we get to Trick of the Tail, which might be my overall favorite album cover ever.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »
    • The intro/hook to "The Fountain of Salmacis" and how it seems a descendant of the "White Mountain" keyboard riff.  That arpeggiated thing that Tony does.

I always liked how the keyboard part acts as a motif in the song.  It's in the intro and the verses, and it leads back to the mellotron swells at other points in the song  :hefdaddy
    In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
    • Can I be as my god am?
    « Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
    Also, Deb, you need to fix that ASAP :o

Yeah, I know... :blush

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
    • More tea is required.
    « Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
    Gotta say: I really like For Absent Friends. It does get rather overlooked.

I love that bit of Fountain where Peter sings "Some creature has been stirred" and the backing vocals sing "Niadd Queen Salmacis has been stirred". I love that.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
    « Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
    It's on of those albums where I know it's really good, but even after listening to it a thousand ties the only tracks I can really ever remember are the first three. The Musical Box is my favorite track though, for both the slow build up and the rock out section.
    Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
    • EZBoard Elder
    • In and around the lake
    « Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 07:08:48 PM »
    Gotta say: I really like For Absent Friends. It does get rather overlooked.
    :tup

I love that bit of Fountain where Peter sings "Some creature has been stirred" and the backing vocals sing "Niadd Queen Salmacis has been stirred". I love that.
    There's a couple of places in that song where the lyrics overlap, with the narrator saying one thing and the character saying something similar at the same time.  When he first gets lost, he says "Where are you, my father?" while the narrator says "Then he could go no further."  It is neat trick which doesn't quite work IMO, but it's clever and I give them points for trying it anyway.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
    • More tea is required.
    « Reply #55 on: October 31, 2012, 06:31:37 AM »
    That bass playing too. I need to get round to learning that song again. It's so fun to play (or at least the parts that I learned).

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
    « Reply #56 on: October 31, 2012, 07:04:15 AM »
    Nursery Cryme is an awesome album
    I love beautiful things.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 07:13:06 AM »
    There's something magical about this album, I can't put my finger on it, though. I just know it makes me happy, as it contains some of the most gorgeous melodies in the world of progressive rock. My favorite Genesis album without a doubt and one of my favorite albums of all time.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
    • EZBoard Elder
    • In and around the lake
    Genesis: Foxtrot (1972)
    « Reply #58 on: November 03, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
    Genesis: Foxtrot (1972)

Tony Banks - Keyboards, Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocals
    Phil Collins - Drums, Percussion, Backing Vocals
    Peter Gabriel - Lead Vocals, Flute, Oboe, Percussion
    Steve Hackett - Electric and Acoustic Guitars
    Mike Rutherford -  Bass, Bass Pedals, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Backing Vocals

Watcher of the Skies
    Time Table
    Get 'Em Out by Friday
    Can-Utility and the Coastliners
    Horizons
    Supper's Ready
      I. Lover's Leap
      II. The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man
      III. Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men
      IV. How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
      V. Willow Farm
      VI. Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet)
      VII. As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)

----------

With this, their fourth album, Genesis finally had the relative luxury of making a second album with the same lineup.  Much of Nursery Cryme was written by the time Phil and Steve had joined the band, and they had worked with session drummers prior to that, so this was actually the first time that five current members sat down to create the new album.

The result was yet another step forward in their sound and musical sophistication.  Perhaps not as great a step as the previous two, but a step forward nonetheless.  Where Nursery Cryme pushed in all directions, establishing and announcing the Genesis sound (and doing a fine job of it), Foxtrot shows a more mature band, a band more certain of its strengths and idiosyncracies, and more comfortable using them to best effect.   As with Nursery Cryme, all tracks are credited to all five members.

----------

"Watcher of the Skies" opens the album with a full minute and a half of Mellotron, building and modulating in ways that only Tony Banks can, forcing one to sit down and listen.  If you were already sitting, then that's good, because you're in for a treat, not just this song but the entire album.  "Watcher" is something of a philosophical piece, looking at our planet, and mankind, and mankind's work on this planet, from the point of view of someone outside of it.  The Watcher of the Skies watches over all planets and peoples, including ours.  He sees how we evolved, and how we now look to the stars, even though there is still much work to do here.  We can only ask that he not judge us too harshly.

Yes has been accused of copying the syncopated, one-note riff from this song, or at least the idea of it, for their song "Mind Drive".  I don't think they're really that similar, and never even made the connection until it was pointed out.  Interesting then, ironic even, that Genesis originally came up with this riff as something of an homage to one of their influences: Yes.

"Time Table" is one of those songs which takes a simple idea and sets it to music, and nothing more.  It is the shortest song on the album (not counting Steve's acoustic solo "Horizons"), and does not overstay its welcome.  The idea is simple: A beautiful carved oak table, which once sat proudly in the home of an English noble and hosted feasts in the time of knights and chivalry, now sits forgotten, covered in dust, hosting only feasts for rats.  The lyrics include parallels emphasizing how the table is still serving its function, though in completely different surroundings.  The passage of time is indicated by an instrumental interlude, which returns at the end and fades out, indicating the the story is not yet over.

I know some people don't like this song, or think of it as one of Genesis' "lesser" songs.  Mostly because of the lyrics.  I guess I understand that, but I don't share the opinion.  I think it's important to remember that Genesis were still quite young when they wrote this, and so was Rock and Roll.  Maybe it's a bit trite now, but this was 1972.  Everything was new.  You don't blame a toddler for not being able to operate heavy machinery.

"Get 'Em Out By Friday" was the latest mini-opera by Peter, with different parts performed by different characters.  Thankfully, Genesis always provided lyrics and liner notes so you could follow along.  It wasn't quite impossible to follow without them, but it was certainly easier when you knew the names and roles of the different characters in the story.

This time it's actual science fiction.  People are being relocated "in the interest of humanity" so that their property can be torn down, and new flats erected that can hold more people in the same area.  In the early 1970's, overpopulation was constantly in the news, the way global warming is today.  Eventually we move into "the future" (2012, as it happens) and Genetic Control has issued a new "four foot restriction on humanoid height".  This is so more people can be fit into the same space.

"Can-Utility and the Coastliners" is based on the legend of King Canute, who so believed in his own power that one day he chose to demonstrate it by commanding the ocean tides, with all his subjects as witnesses, and learned a lesson in humility.

Another underrated and often overlooked Genesis song, I like this one a lot.  I like the way it starts quietly and tells its story.  I like the way the first break has a Mellotron playing the lead, and while the acoustic guitar is technically in a support role, it is the acoustic guitar which provides the rhythm and motion, and is actually the more interesting part.  The song was mostly written by Steve, and the Mellotron break was originally much longer.

And finally, I like it simply because it was yet another Genesis song to break the mold.  Most of the music being made at the time, and today for that matter, was "verse - chorus - verse - chorus - break - final chorus", with a possible verse before the final chorus.  Genesis clearly felt no obligation to follow this form.  The only song which even comes close to following the AABA pattern is "Watcher of the Skies" which has no real chorus or refrain, and few would accuse it of being a standard pop song.  But I digress.

"Horizons" was Steve's proper welcome to the band, an acoustic piece based loosely on a theme from Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 but which quickly takes a left turn and finds its own way.  Something that a lot of early Art Rock bands (we call them Prog now) were very proud of was that their guitarist and/or keyboard player had classical training, and their songs tended to show them off when they could.  But the ultimate honor was being granted a solo acoustic piece on an album, and this one was for Steve.

"Horizons" originally opened Side Two of the LP, which gave it some prominence, and also made it something of an introduction to the work that followed, the epic "Supper's Ready".

Very little can be said about "Supper's Ready" that hasn't already been said.  At just under 23 minutes, it certainly qualifies as a side-long epic, and it probably would be on most other albums.  But Genesis albums tend to be longer than average, and "Supper's Ready", as mentioned, shared an actual LP side with another piece.

Peter said that the lyrics came from something which actually happened.  He and his wife Jill were in their sitting room, and when he looked at her, there seemed to be another face momentarily superimposed over hers, an evil face which was quite disturbing.  He looked out the window and thought he saw some figures walking across the lawn, seven men, with the foremost carrying a cross.  This somehow inspired him to write most of the lyrics for "Supper's Ready", which is about the struggle between good and evil, specifically the triumph of good over evil.  The "Willow Farm" section was previously written as a separate song which Peter and Tony found did not stand well on its own, but worked rather nicely as comic relief within the larger, more serious work.

Many have noted that the penultimate movement, "Apocalype in 9/8", is really in 9/4 time.  It has a steady, even beat to it.  9/8 is more commonly attributed to faster pieces, usually with the nine beats subgrouped as threes or otherwise.  Here the beats are subgrouped 4+3+2, but are relatively slow and thus the time signature would more likely be called 9/4.  Also notable is the fact that Tony's Hammond solo is not actually in 9/4.  Tony chose to solo in 4/4, saying that he wasn't ready to attempt 9/4 at the time.  The result is that he seems to be working in and around the 9/4 beat quite masterfully, when he is in fact ignoring it completely.

Paul Whitehead provided the cover painting, his third in a row, and he once again drew inspiration from the lyrics of the songs.  In this case, "the fox on the rocks" is mentioned in the closing epic "Supper's Ready", and the seven figures can be seen walking up the beach.  The entire scene takes place at the seashore, a reference to to "Can-Utility and the Coastliners".  The cover painting for Nursery Cryme can be seen included as a miniature in the background.

This is a longer writeup than most, because I went ahead and incorporated my comments into the writeup itself.  Gotta mix things up a bit, you know.
    « Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:49:09 PM by Orbert »

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
    • Can I be as my god am?
    Re: Genesis: Foxtrot (1972)
    « Reply #59 on: November 03, 2012, 11:18:43 PM »
    Probably my second favorite of the Peter Gabriel Genesis albums, minus Get 'Em Out By Friday (never got into that one - it seemed out of place on the album IMO).

Online The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2012, 11:26:12 PM »
    Amazing album, and I like it more than NC, and just as much as SEBTP. Every track is pretty good-to-great, and while I haven't spun it in awhile, I can say that I still recall enjoying each track on the album (even though I don't remember "Time Table" as well as the others).

Also, a side-note to the band calling "Apocalypse In 9/8" as being in "9/8" when it's really 9/4 is funny because in countless video and written interviews with Rutherford/Collins/Banks, they labelled "Turn It On Again" as being partly in 13/8, which is unlikely as the groove is more like 13/4. I suppose they never did quite get it right, even after a few more albums after "Supper's Ready". :lol

EDIT - I also recall loving the intro to "Watcher Of The Skies" so much that I remember learning the introduction on keyboard, playing it using orchestral-string sounds. I have the sheet music somewhere but it's been so long since I've played it, I only remember the opening chords. It was fun to play, though, for the whole minute-and-a-half that it is. Interesting chord changes - and being a music major student at the time I learned it, I did some chordal analysis on it and found it even MORE interesting!

-Marc.
    « Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:21:28 AM by The Letter M »
    ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2012, 12:42:29 AM »
    Ahh,  Foxtrot.

Bought this one along with Nursery Cryme on the same day, and actually was so stunned by how good Nursery Cryme was that I didn't get to Foxtrot for a few days, though I do recall my best friend remarking "hey, it's the Nursery Cryme!" as he looked at the cover of Foxtrot while we were listening to NC together; I always liked the use of the previous cover in the background of Foxtrot's. It was, in fact, an album I blasted at a friend of mine's New Year's Eve party (while sneaking the occasional kiss from his sister, I will admit I had no shame during my drinking days.) I came to Foxtrot as "the album that had Supper's Ready on it" but, bizarrely enough, for me, it was operating at a distinct disadvantage. As I'll explain further when we get to Seconds out, that live version of Supper's Ready was my first side long song, and you never forget your first love. It took a while for the studio version, which felt clunkier and sometimes slower than the far more upbeat, almost sleek version of Supper's Ready on Seconds Out, to really work for me. But, of course it did, and it took its place amongst the legendary epics of the period.

As for the rest of the album-all you need to know about Watcher of the Skies is that the company that makes the mellotron sells a "Watcher mix" tape set based on the sounds Banks used here. One of the more musically complex pieces Genesis ever made, just an awesome opener to an album. Time Table serves as a break between the two longer tracks on side one, with some nice lyrical imagery. Get 'Em Out By Friday is the song where Gabriel really starts digging into the more theatrical side, with the lyrics telling a story using multiple characters, and the band fully embraces the oddly British theater style of Peter Gabriel. Can-Utility does defy the verse-chorus-etc structure as Orbert said, with the first couple of minutes being lovely before it turns into several completely different ideas at once. Shame it took me years to get the pun in the title  :lol

And at last, there's Horizons. I remember, in the mid 80s when Hackett and Steve Howe formed GTR, there was special about the band that, amongst other things, had Hackett performing Horizons, which prompted a cheerful FUCK YEAH from me, amusing my best friend to no good end. Horizons is my favorite solo guitar piece, that should sum it up nicely. Foxtrot is sheer brilliance, and my favorite Genesis album if you lined up their entire discography.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
    « Reply #62 on: November 04, 2012, 12:48:50 AM »
    Horizons is the first Genesis song I heard
    I love beautiful things.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
    « Reply #63 on: November 04, 2012, 01:03:47 AM »
    I... don't really like Foxtrot all that much. I mean, Watcher Of The Skies, Time Table and Can-Utility And The Coastliners are all fine songs, but not really all that memorable to me. And Supper's Ready. Hoo boy, I know I'll get flak for this, but with the exception of the "Hey, babe..." section, I don't care for the song. It's a bit too all over the place for me, and at 23 minutes it just drags on and on.
    Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
    « Reply #64 on: November 04, 2012, 01:01:41 AM »
    You're insane.

Anyways, one of the best albums ever. Supper's Ready and Can-Utility and the Coastliners are their two best songs.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
    • The fire remains
    « Reply #65 on: November 04, 2012, 02:35:48 AM »
    Yup, great album. My second favorite by them. Album Ranking:

1. Supper's Ready
    2. Can-Utility and the Coastliners
    3. Watcher of the Skies
    4. Get Em Out by Friday
    5. Time Table
    6. Horizons
    "We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
    We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
    • DTF.org Alumni
    « Reply #66 on: November 04, 2012, 03:39:13 AM »
    Another great album. I love all the songs except Can-Utility, it has never "clicked" for me. Supper's Ready is a epic track in every sense of the word, Time Table is a wonderful song, Horizons is a beautiful acoustic instrumental. Watcher Of The Skies works great as an opening song, with that Mellotron intro setting the scene. Get Em Out By Friday is another of Peter's story-telling songs with different characters.

Track rating:

1. Supper's Ready
    2. Time Table
    3. Horizons
    4. Get Em Out By Friday
    5. Watcher Of The Skies
    6. Can-Utility and the Coastliners
    Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
    • More tea is required.
    « Reply #67 on: November 04, 2012, 04:09:30 AM »
    As I mentioned at previously, I got this at the same time as I got Nursery Cryme, and while the former is my favourite, I love this album a hell of a lot. At one point I tried to learn Time Table on piano, but then I got distracted. Either way, I love everything on this album, especially Watcher and Supper's Ready (which my stepfather once made play on the music players at home to signal that it was time to eat).

Eh, whatever, it's all amazing.

A Flower?

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2012, 04:29:28 AM »
    Best Genesis album by far, IMO.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
    • EZBoard Elder
    • In and around the lake
    « Reply #69 on: November 04, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »
    I found the cello!

During the very opening part of "Supper's Ready".  That bass line you might have thought was bass or pedals if you're like me and had a cheap LP and crappy stereo back in the late 70's... is actually a cello.  I was listening to it yesterday on earphones and it jumped out at me.

Now... sigh... to find the oboe.  I just noticed Oboe in the credits when I was writing this one up.  Anyone?