Author Topic: The Matrix Sequels  (Read 12062 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Matrix Sequels
« on: October 21, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »
What was wrong with them ?

Discuss :)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Matrix Sequels
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
Well, I don't think they're as bad as everyone else.

However the final fight between the world of Smiths and Neo was awful. Not only was the fight itself awful, but so was the CGI.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:48:01 PM »
First thing that comes to mind is the fighting. There is no tension in the fight scenes because they are so over the top. At least in the first movie, they followed most of the laws of physics until the climax. Due to this, the fight scenes are boring and drag on for far too long.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »

However - i'm in the minority that prefers Revolutions to Reloaded.

I like dark.  :biggrin:

I thought Bane was the best thing about Revolutions. How Smith managed to invade the Real World. Brilliantly played by the actor ( Ian Bliss )

The final showdown between smith and neo didn't mean anything either.

Reloaded had way too many new characters.

Merovingian. Persephone. The Virus Twins. The Keymaker. The Train man.  Seraph.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
I don't hate the sequels, but they were never near to be on the same level as the original, which is why they were disappointments.

Reloaded - I think this is a pretty good movie. It has some bad things, lots of new characters is one example, but personally I didn't like it how Neo went from being good to immortal over a day. I get it that he's "the one" and he's supposed to be strong, but it was kinda lame when he fought off 2 or 3 agents with one arm and just standing still like a douchebag. I still think some effort should have been put into it, in order to defeat the agents.
I think the movie has a couple of iconic parts, the highway-scene is the big highlight of it, but the fighting scene at the park or what happens before the highway is pretty cool as well.

Revolutions - Kinda dull. I like the darkness of the movie, but so many things could have been done better. For example, the big war at Zion. I didn't really feel for any of the characters there, except for maybe Morpheus, but a lot of the people in focus just didn't have something special IMO, so I didn't really care if they would die or live.
The last battle between Neo and Smith was disappointing as well. It's one of those situations where EPIC doesn't equal good, and it just felt so ridiculously over the top that it was hard to take seriously.
The fight between Neo and Smith in the subway in the original - THAT was a great fightscene. The showdown sure as hell wasn't.
I also didn't particularly like Neo going blind/cruising around in a spaceship for most of the movie.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
I think the biggest fault is the story. About half way through the second the story got difficult to follow and understand.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »
....everything?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »
Reloaded I actually kind of liked for the most part, besides some nit picks here and there. That being said I don't love/respect it the same way I did with the first film.

Revolutions I just don't like at all. Nothing about it I found very interesting and the ending didn't feel satisfying. It didn't feel like its own movie, more like just tying up the lose ends from Reloaded. 

I wish they would have had Reloaded be its own contained story from beginning to end and then of waited 2-3 years to finish things up with Revolutions.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 01:47:06 PM »
Don't worry. In 5 years - McG will " reboot " The Matrix trilogy and he'll cock it up even more.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »

And it will probably be as godawful as that Angelina Jolie pile of shit called " Wanted ".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 01:55:41 PM »
....everything?

AH YEH I HADNT THOT OF DAT

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »
....everything?

We may not agree on a whole lot, but a random Spaced reference goes a long way with me.

Good show mate, good show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
That's one of my favourite scenes  :biggrin:

Too bad Simon Pegg has done nothing of any value since Hot Fuzz.

He was the worst thing about Star Trek 09 as well.

Paul was already a shitty movie but his totally one-sided childish anti-Christian script was just the shitty icing on the crap cake.

Sorry to bring beliefs into this :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »
....everything?

We may not agree on a whole lot, but a random Spaced reference goes a long way with me.

Good show mate, good show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsSWJvlojgc

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »
As has already been mentioned, the fight scenes kind of ruined it for me. One particular one that comes to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kisxJV-OEQ8

You will have to excuse the ridiculous dubstep music, or you can just think on how well it reflects the ludicrous scene.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 02:18:26 PM »
I watched these movies recently on Blu-ray and I couldn't believe how bad the SFX where in the Neo/Smith fights from Reloaded and Revolutions. The textures are all so plastic-y.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 02:18:47 PM »
I remember them saying at the time you wouldn't be able to tell when live action Neo & Army of smiths turned into CGI .

Um...You could tell INSTANTLY.

Neo suddenly become inhumanly thin.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
And the movements are robotic and completely unnatural!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 02:24:56 PM »
Yes - it basically looks like they just pasted a video game scene in there.

With Reloaded - its like they totally forgot about the story and instead just dumped more characters from mythology in there instead to make up for it .

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »
I never did quite understood how Agent Smith could take over a guy in the real world, so OK once he got "disconnected" he basically became a computer virus and replicated until he owned the matrix but how can he take over a person in the "real" world. I guess with the line about "you die in the Matrix you die in real life because you mind makes it real!" line was suppose to serve as the only explanation but... how can a mind make a computer virus real?!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
The way I understand it - Smith copied his program over the digital representation of Bane in the matrix. So when his mind returned to his body - it had the essence of Smith...

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 02:33:22 PM »

And it will probably be as godawful as that Angelina Jolie pile of shit called " Wanted ".
I really liked Wanted >:I

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »
I thought it was absolute offensive nonsense.

HAI GUIZE - WE TAKE ORDERS FROM A SEWING MASHEEN LOL

LOL A BATH OF WAX CURES BROKEN BONES

OMGZZZZ CURVING BULLETS U GAISE.

ISNT THIS CAMERA ANGLE SEW COOLLL ???

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
I would like to add that one of the Wachowski brothers is no longer a brother.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
He ain't black no mo'?? :neverusethis:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
The problem is the story.

Other than Neo being a Christ metaphor, the ending doesn't mean anything.  Nothing of substance really happens.  Because of this, it's virtually impossible to create a substantiative build up to this ending, which means it's nearly impossible to create two movies that are substantiative.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
The problem is the story.

Other than Neo being a Christ metaphor, the ending doesn't mean anything.  Nothing of substance really happens.  Because of this, it's virtually impossible to create a substantiative build up to this ending, which means it's nearly impossible to create two movies that are substantiative.

This. And it just made the whole experience...boring.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 06:09:39 PM »
What was wrong with them?

The fact that they existed. The Matrix wrapped up the story. Neo was the One and was about to show humanity the truth. It was done. There was nothing new to do or add in sequels. I know why they made them-money-but artistically they could have stopped at one movie and it would have worked.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Aefenwelg

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »
The reason I don't like the Matrix sequels can be summed up in one instant from Reloaded.

During the Big Brawl, Neo throws one Smith into a bunch of Smiths. When all the Smiths get knocked over, there's a sound like that of bowling pins being knocked over. What? Was the idea to make me think I was watching a cartoon? It completely takes me out of the fight, even more so than the awful CGI.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 08:22:01 PM »
Keeping all "it sucks because it's supposed to suck and everyone knows it" straw men aside, I recall enjoying the second film when I saw it in theaters.

Other than the ghosts, I felt that everything had been done before, and better, in the first film.  The architect felt like a heavy handed attempt to make the story seem more complex than it had to be, but it didn't bother me.

The third film I also only saw once, and it was on DVD.  There are films I dislike and films that I'm indifferent to, but I remember this film actually making me angry.  There were many flaws, but some of the action was above par.  I'm sure I'm being too hard on it in hindsight.  Perhaps a marathon is in order.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 08:49:25 PM »
I heard the Matrix sequels were modeled after the Highlander sequels.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
Reloaded had a lot of good moments, but it also stretch the Matrix idea to the point where it kind of didn't work, and the plot gets a bit convoluted.
And Revolutions was just overly drawn out and boring as hell. A lot of what happened was obvious, and it took so long to get there that it got tiring. And they somehow managed to make a giant robot battle boring. I didn't even know that was possible.

And whatever anyone else said.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 12:51:02 AM »
Relevant. The last one, especially.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 04:50:55 AM »
I really like both of them and cannot understand why everyone hates them either.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 05:22:38 AM »
Besides the reasons that were already mentioned (over the top action scenes and subpar plot) there's another that stands out to me the most: the acting SUCKED. Seriously, Keanu isn't the most excellent actor ever but at least in the first one he was somewhat convincing and gave a certain human touch to Neo which basically was what made the movie for me. I could feel like *I* could be Neo, and it was great. Trinity and Morfeo also were realistic characters that you could relate to.

In the sequels it's like everyone just didn't gave a damn - Neo was a plank-faced superhero, Morfeo was a fat mystic bullshitter and Trinity... well, she just was there, hanging around with no real purpose other than being important for Neo (her death scene was pathetic). It pisses me off.

It's a shame too because the new additions were decent actors, even if they had just an small role. It's the three main guys that mailed it in and ruined the movies. If they gave a good performance I could have ignored the rest of the films' flaws.