Author Topic: people complaining about post rock being all the same... read this.  (Read 2177 times)

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
Why people complain about post rock songs being similar to each other in their style so much??
there are MANY genres that are way more stagnant than post rock -
like folk,
punk,
blues,
and pentatonic scale+power-chords rock... (you know what im talking about)
Post rock is more varried than those genres^ yet no one complains about them being stagnant. people are bitching only when its post rock.
I love beautiful things.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: people complaining about post rock being all the same... read this.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 03:14:04 AM »
I've you've never heard anyone say that about punk rock I don't know where you've been for the last couple of decades...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 03:19:08 AM »
i've been here. and tbh, I indeed heard some people complaining about punk being the same.
but I never heard anyone complains about the other stuff I mentioned up there.

another genre which is allways the same and no one ever complains about is rock n roll, which is basically like a diffrent style of blues.
I love beautiful things.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 03:35:45 AM »
Folk:

Rich and long history since it dates back centuries and came about during a time when musical genres weren't as fleeting and/or splintered as they are today. It serves almost as a historical record of several long eras that have formed the cultural foundation of the various countries the respective styles of folk come from. On the other hand, it's difficult to know what "folk" even means by today's standards since I doubt what we call "folk" was referred to as such in its own times as it probably had several different genre names depending on the time period.

Punk:

Although I'm not a fan of it at all, it does contain some aspects that make it very easy for non-fans like myself to not have that negative of an opinion of it: speed, intensity, aggression, (sometimes, especially in its earlier years) a disdain for society's status quo and thusly a strong desire to encourage change and upheaval. Also, most of what helped it to become popular was based on the instantly accessible "three chord" approach which I've never been specifically fond of but it's obviously a tried-and-true formula for commercial success.

Blues:

Metalheads have historically been a subculture comprised mostly of social outcasts whom the popular kids would most commonly refer to as losers. In turn, we metalheads have found a common bond by cathartically venting our angst, sorrow, and despair through this counter-culture musical style.

Several decades before that, black folks in America endured a MUCH worse experience and their outlet was blues. Regardless of its redundancy or simplicity, its long term contribution to American music is undeniable. An overwhelming majority of rock and roll is based off of it as is metal. Beyond that, it still survives to this day as a well-sustained fringe genre that isn't a big player in the mainstream yet is avidly kept alive by many talented musicians just outside of the mainstream and it pops into the top 40 on rare occasions even years after its heyday has ended like with Tracy Chapman's Give Me One Reason (1995) and Kenny Wayne Shepherd's Blue on Black (1998.)

"pentatonic scale+power-chords rock":

This is just a big part of America's musical identity over the last forty years. It also reinforces my point about blues' credibility as a respectable genre since the power chords/pentatonic leads motif is quite similar to the barre chord/minor pentatonic thing that was a staple of blues for a while but this genre simply eliminates the 3rds (major or minor) from the chords and mixes that with faster leads, more energetic drumming, and an understood notion that it's okay to write songs that aren't centered on saddening issues. Beyond that, this style is more or less the connecting link between blues and metal and all three of these genres have been going fairly strong for 40+ years.

Conclusion:

Every genre has samey tendencies on one level or another so it's a very hair-splitting, piss match kinda thing to try to settle this debate in any remotely objective manner but I think a big part of the complaints toward post rock is that it's very drawn out in a lot of its songs and the payoff is frequently a loud crescendo of stuff that's a little less simple than the subtle, low-key stuff that led up to it. There's nothing wrong with that either but it's something that heavily goes against the grain in terms of what the average music listener is accustomed to.

It's kinda like going to a restaurant and being seated for 20-30 minutes as you smell all the wonderful flavors coming from the kitchen and then, once you're absolutely starving, the waiter brings you a single bite of food. Even if it's the most delicious bite of food you've ever had, the average person is gonna want more than that one bite and the common theme of post rock involving lots of build-up while not delivering something that's noticeably flashy or spectacular is kinda like that for some of us.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:44:43 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 03:59:12 AM »
Im aware of the fact that alot of music listeners dislike post rock because of the huge buildsup, and im aware of the fact that post rock doesnt have a huge history like those other genres, but I wasnt talking about that.

I was only talking about the fact that alot of people complain about post rock being samey, while its not particularly samey when you compare it to alot of diffrent genres.
I love beautiful things.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 04:08:13 AM »
Well yes, but aside from the last genre in that list, all of the other ones were clearly innovative in their early eras and only sound redundant now because they've been around so long that artists who were influenced by earlier eras of those genres have often failed to continue pushing the envelope. There really isn't anything post rock has done that has set it apart or given it any unique identity.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 04:14:27 AM »
Well yes, but aside from the last genre in that list, all of the other ones were clearly innovative in their early eras and only sound redundant now because they've been around so long that artists who were influenced by earlier eras of those genres have often failed to continue pushing the envelope. There really isn't anything post rock has done that has set it apart or given it any unique identity.
not even this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9HsGsB-MCM
I love beautiful things.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 04:29:13 AM »
Boy, you have a bug up your butt about post rock the last few days.  Who cares what others say.  What matters is that you like it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 04:35:40 AM »
I take it you like Post Rock?
You're only doing what fans of any genre do: defending what you like from a perceived attack.
A genre title in itself implies that the groups in it share a common approach.
I love 80s hair metal and the shredders. They got the same criticism even though lots of bands and guitarists sounded different to me. Then you get the copycats who drag the genre down. People who didn't like it say they all sound the same. Never bothered me much. People can be ignorant.

PS I have no idea what post rock is or sounds like.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 04:38:05 AM »
I love Post-Rock, and it has lots of variety, but there are plenty of bands who tend to play it safe a lot of the times, and follow the same style. Mono for instance has a couple of albums now that sound fairly similar, Explosions in the Sky is probably the biggest example of a band making the same song and album over and over again, though The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is a great album.

But bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Rós and Talk Talk (to name my favorites) are too awesome for words, and they have plenty of variety.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 04:56:01 AM »
You're only doing what fans of any genre do: defending what you like from a perceived attack.
I love 80s hair metal and the shredders. They got the same criticism even though lots of bands and guitarists sounded different to me. Then you get the copycats who drag the genre down. People who didn't like it say they all sound the same. Never bothered me much. People can be ignorant.

:hifive:

God, what a brilliant post to see first thing in the morning.  I love you.

:nohomo:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 05:01:26 AM »

All of this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 06:18:57 AM »

:hifive:

God, what a brilliant post to see first thing in the morning.  I love you.

:nohomo:

Ha ha. I have my moments  ;D ;D ;D Strange seeing as i feel so crap atm (manflu). Must be the pain pills  ;D  :chill

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 07:48:14 AM »
You start some strange threads my friend.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »
a little off topic, but...

does Irepress count as post-rock / post-metal? ...cuz ive never been able to get too overly into any post- rock/metal ive seen suggested on this site. but i did get into Irepress a little bit back in the summer and found it quite pleasing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 10:20:15 AM »
Why people complain about post rock songs being similar to each other in their style so much??

Because there are a shitload of post rock bands that are almost exactly the same. Whether or not blues or punks bands are the same is irrelevant.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »
here, some diffrent post rock songs so youll get the idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9HsGsB-MCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQcE4_7-X78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZtT4Th9Ys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwsJnQD3dcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42PYJ5fkRTA

Listened to these and even enjoyed some. The GY!BE was good, the Sigur Ros too (I have that album). It's not often I would be in the mood to listen to this sort of stuff. There was definitely a common approach to all of them. Did they all sound the same? No but you could easily tell they were from the same genre.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
Anyone who hasn't listened to post rock needs to listen to Young Mountain by This Will Destroy You. I use it to introduce the genre all the time.

In any case, Sigz is correct; the genre is full of stereotypical bands, just as every genre is.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »
I love Post-Rock, and it has lots of variety, but there are plenty of bands who tend to play it safe a lot of the times, and follow the same style. Mono for instance has a couple of albums now that sound fairly similar, Explosions in the Sky is probably the biggest example of a band making the same song and album over and over again, though The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is a great album.

But bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Rós and Talk Talk (to name my favorites) are too awesome for words, and they have plenty of variety.
Pretty much all of this I agree with. Post rock is one of my favourite genres, but a couple bands can be accused of making samey tunes. GY!BE, SR, and Talk Talk are probably the most inventive bands of the genre though.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »
 Sub genres exist in order to spice things up. Post rock is spicy. However, all genres are stagnant in a sense. Some post rock sounds the same. Some is inventive. Every genre has those bands that sound the same.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 02:29:36 AM »
Godspeed are probably my favourite band, but they really don't change styles THAT much compared to a lot of bands, same with Mono. It's more of the fact that they have a unique sound that no other post rock bands have that set them apart. Sigur Ros have changed quite a bit and each album really feels unique to me.

Young Mountain is definitely a pretty good starting point, great EP. Also Hymm to the Immortal Wind (Mono) is good for introducing new people I find.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 02:44:47 AM »
I feel like GYBE has always tried to evolve sound-wise. The first three releases (F#A#, Slow Riot and LYSF) might all share a few similar features, but I think Yanqui was very different from all three of them, and the latest album is also very different.

Offline Rick

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 07:47:27 AM »
Anyone who thinks that folk and punk are stagnant and homogenic sound-wise hasn't explored much folk or punk outside of the really fucking obvious.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
Anyone who thinks that folk and punk are stagnant and homogenic sound-wise hasn't explored much folk or punk outside of the really fucking obvious.
So much this.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »
So much this.

Pretty much - and when people who think a genre sounds all the same usually only knows the most popular of songs by the more well-known bands, which probably get radio airplay and, thus, have more popularity among the masses. And because you associate these well-known songs as being the end-all, be-all of the genre, you feel that they're all the same because the popular ones really all do sound the same in their genre - you know why?! Because that's what the masses LIKE...they like the popular stuff that sounds the same because it's what they're used to.

Now, if you pick an obscure band in the genre, you're more likely to find music that deviates from the popular formula, something that isn't quite radio-friendly or listener-friendly for some. If you tell someone in a certain genre that this unknown band or artist is in the same genre, they may look at you weird.

Every genre has these artists, the unknowns, the different ones, the ones that don't get major record deals or radio airplay.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!