Author Topic: Dream Theater vs. Transatlantic 2013  (Read 3095 times)

Offline darkshade

Dream Theater vs. Transatlantic 2013
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »
Do you suppose these two bands will be releasing a new album around the same time next year? Based on DT's schedule, they're going back into the studio this winter. And Transatlantic are due to enter the studio in late winter/spring, last I heard. Transatlantic will probably make their new one in less time than DT, if the making-of The Whirlwind is anything to go by (written, recorded and released in about 6 months). Transatlantic's 4th album is highly anticipated, as is DT12, which could be seen as the true start to the new Mangini era, more then likely. Portnoy being in a similar situation in TA that he was in DT as far as coming up with the music means he could really bring everything he's got, because the next DT album "may" top ADTOE. Could it be the battle of the bands next summer?

Offline The Letter M

Re: Dream Theater vs. Transatlantic 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »
Personally speaking, these most likely be in my Top 3 albums of 2013, so they still be vying for top spot. There is a lot of anticipation for both albums:

DT12 will involve Mangini more, so the music might have a different sound or direction than we're used to with Dream Theater, especially since the rest of the band has been more involved after Portnoy's departure.

For TA4, it's how they will top their last album - a near 80-minute prog epic in 12 parts. The only thing I could think of would be a double album, or a full-on concept album...or BOTH! Roine is no stranger to the double album, and since TFK's Paradox Hotel, he hasn't been a part of a double-album (all his albums with Agents Of Mercy, TFK and other side-projects have all been single albums).

It'll be a close-match, depending on what they both come up with. I'll be eagerly awaiting news from both bands!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »
What if both bands release a double album?  :o

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »

It would be the year of the dueling double-albums!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 01:42:30 AM »

For TA4, it's how they will top their last album - a near 80-minute prog epic in 12 parts. The only thing I could think of would be a double album, or a full-on concept album...or BOTH! Roine is no stranger to the double album, and since TFK's Paradox Hotel, he hasn't been a part of a double-album (all his albums with Agents Of Mercy, TFK and other side-projects have all been single albums).

-Marc.

i kinda hope its in a direction like someone recently mentioned in another thread (maybe even Darkshade?)...something along the lines of Unfold the Future, with a couple epics, a couple mini epics and a bunch of genre hopping shorter songs.

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 02:06:09 AM »
I don't know what to expect from TA4, sincerely. I really hope they don't put out a Transatlantic-by-numbers album, but I honestly think that it will be hard not to. To me it feels like Transatlantic has expressed all that it is in the past three releases and live albums, so anything not involving a certain change of direction might suffer from repetition of themes and formulas already exploited in the past.

As for DT12, I have very, very high expectations. As Eren Basbug once said to me, this is gonna be the masterpiece.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 02:09:34 AM »
Only now I'm jumping on to the TA bandwagon (thanks to mr. Wasteland) so, uhm, I have no idea. Let's say my expectations aren't high for DT12, since each year a band has to disappoint me and it has to be one of my faves, so that leaves DT in the game :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 02:16:07 AM »
Only now I'm jumping on to the TA bandwagon (thanks to mr. Wasteland) so, uhm, I have no idea. Let's say my expectations aren't high for DT12, since each year a band has to disappoint me and it has to be one of my faves, so that leaves DT in the game :lol

This doesn't make any sense! The best never disappoints! NEVAH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfYD5urjZGs&t=182
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 05:52:59 AM »

This doesn't make any sense! The best never disappoints! NEVAH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfYD5urjZGs&t=182
:rollin
:hearts:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 06:03:48 AM »
:hearts: , but dare thee not have low expectations, lady!  :laugh:
- Marco

Offline Mr. Mustard

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 09:52:11 PM »
Looking forward to both! However DT has been on the decline since Six Degrees while Transatlantic's last was their best. I'm interested to see what MM can do.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »
while Transatlantic's last was their best.

Not on planet Earth it is their best.  Bridge Across Forever is a God-tier album.  Whirlwind is merely very good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »

Not on planet Earth it is their best.  Bridge Across Forever is a God-tier album.  Whirlwind is merely very good.

You're a silly little man.  But in the end, who cares?  They're both outstanding albums, so the fact that you are grossly mistaken about which one is their best really is of little consequence in the grand scheme of things.

But relative to the original post:  Neither band has ever disappointed me, and I have no reason to believe they will with their next releases.  I would be shocked if they weren't my #1 and #2 albums for 2013, but which one will be #1 and which will be #2 I can only guess.  In 2009, my top 3 were DT, Transatlantic, and Redemption, respectively.  Over time, once the newness wore off, DT may have fallen to #2 or #3, but it was still a GREAT year for music.  I expect 2013 to be similar.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:56:27 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:52:09 AM »
I kinda want to see TA mix it up next time. Whirlwind was good, but all of TA's albums have been pretty uniform stylistically, and I think it's time to move in a new, maybe more experimental, direction.  I might just be burnt out on Neal Morse, though.

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »

I agree with you. Godly vs. very good, that is.  :tup

Also, AFAIK there has not been a official statement concerning the intention of actually entering the studio in 2013, right?
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »

I agree with you. Godly vs. very good, that is.  :tup

Also, AFAIK there has not been a official statement concerning the intention of actually entering the studio in 2013, right?

Nothing truly *official*, but I think everyone but Pete has mentioned wanting to reconvene this winter. On The Making Of Momentum DVD, Neal recounts that the sessions that led to Momentum were initially time he wanted to spend to record a new Transatlantic album, but Pete and Roine were busy making their own studio albums with their bands (which have since been released), and so with the two European's busy recording earlier this year, Neal decided to see if Randy and Mike could do another album (which left Neal stumped with barely any material initially, but they then churned out a good hour+ worth of music).

Since then, I believe Roine (somewhere) has mentioned wanting to do another TA album, and I'm pretty sure Mike has said something as well (well, why wouldn't he?).
As for Pete, Marillion has a tour break between November 30th and January 17th, about 6 and a half weeks of break-time, where in a week or two could be used to record in Nashville.
Neal, he just wrapped up his Momentum Tour, and Mike is now in the midst of his PSMS tour until November 18th.
Roine is still touring with The Flower Kings until December 8th, and they pick it back up on January 11th in Tokyo, so he's got time in the middle of December or early January.

If the guys want a family-break for Christmas, they could always fly to Nashville after New Years (let's say on the 2nd), and have about 7-8 days of writing/recording sessions before Roine has to get to Japan and Pete back with Marillion.

-Marc.

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 10:16:42 AM »
Very interesting. So, it definitely seems that the new album is going to happen! I hope for a green cover artwork this time :D

Thanks for providing this information Marc  :tup
- Marco

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 10:29:09 AM »
I'm much more excited about a new TA album than I am about a new DT album. I don't agree about the Whirlwind being their best but still their 3 albums are fantastic. On the DT side:

DT has been on the decline since Six Degrees
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »
I really liked where DT went with ADTOE, hoping for something in that direction.  Agree that it will be interesting to see how Mangini fits into the full creative process this go-round.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 12:51:07 PM »
Its only a battle of the bands on this board because in terms of popularity, Dream Theater is a much more known commodity.

It will be a blast to see who makes the better album.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline darkshade

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »
Very interesting. So, it definitely seems that the new album is going to happen! I hope for a green cover artwork this time :D

Funny enough, whenever I think about TA4, I picture an overall green cover for some reason.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »

Funny enough, whenever I think about TA4, I picture an overall green cover for some reason.

Green would be nice. SMPT:e had a purple cover (at least in Europe), STMP:e - Stolt Mixes had red, BAF with blue, and the Whirlwind with yellow. Green would be a nice change of pace...or maybe even white.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 01:22:43 AM »

Green would be nice. SMPT:e had a purple cover (at least in Europe), STMP:e - Stolt Mixes had red, BAF with blue, and the Whirlwind with yellow. Green would be a nice change of pace...or maybe even white.

-Marc.

My copy of SMPT:e is mostly blue. And with BAF blue as well, and Whirlwind orangy yellow, green would be great. It would almost be following the overall color scheme of TFk (starting with the debut).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 04:12:21 AM »

Then i'll get DT 12  ;D