Author Topic: Defense of Marriage Act ruled unconstitutional by NY court  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
Re: Defense of Marriage Act ruled unconstitutional by NY court
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 06:33:18 PM »
My favorite thing I hear about is the mythical person with good parents who just turns out bad.  I'm still waiting to actually see it in person.
Bernie Maddoff.  Jeffery Skilling.  Kenneth Lay.  George W. Bush.  Bill J. Clinton.  Two thirds of Congress.  Street crime isn't the only detriment to society, and a stable and supportive upbringing doesn't necessarily stop people from being crooked assholes.

Even our good friend Myth.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 08:03:48 AM »
^ and that points to the real crux of the problem, why have State's recognize marriage at all? Abolish marriage licenses and the whole "problem" goes away. There's no logical reason for the Government to regulate social relationships in the first place.

You need to have stable family units to raise children in.  Broken homes are basically worse for society than every other problem combined.
A. No you don't.  B. No they're not.  C. What does government (or clerical) recognition of marriage have to do with either?
B - How many of our societal problems (crime, corruption, stupidity) would happen if our potential criminals/greedy assholes/people with no education actually were surrounded by people who cared about them?  I'm thinking zero.

(a) white collar crimes as EB pointed out?
(b) how does a piece of paper dictate "caring" ?  My home was so much more pleasant when it DID become "broken" (my father and mother split)
(c) are homosexual couples incapable of caring?

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »
I feel like I was too literal.  I have no idea if marriage licenses are actually a good idea or not.  But to just dismiss their existence seems ignorant.  They exist in response to a very real societal need.
Originally the societal need was keeping whites from marrying non-whites.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »
But it's now also used for a host of other beneficial reasons. Like health insurance, tax breaks, etc.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 11:32:09 PM »
Those are benefits of getting married legally, but they certainly aren't the "societal need" that marriage was recognized legally in order to address.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 12:36:27 AM »
There also used to be (and in some states still is) the requirement of blood tests for certain diseases. It was more of a public health concern, along with racism that masqueraded as a public health concern (like keeping whites from marrying outside the race).

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 01:09:26 AM »
Those are benefits of getting married legally, but they certainly aren't the "societal need" that marriage was recognized legally in order to address.

Which is why I said it's "now also used."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2012, 04:45:09 AM »
My favorite thing I hear about is the mythical person with good parents who just turns out bad.  I'm still waiting to actually see it in person.
Bernie Maddoff.  Jeffery Skilling.  Kenneth Lay.  George W. Bush.  Bill J. Clinton.  Two thirds of Congress.  Street crime isn't the only detriment to society, and a stable and supportive upbringing doesn't necessarily stop people from being crooked assholes.

Even our good friend Myth.
Yeah, my grandma babysitted 'ol Dubya as a baby/child, so he got a pretty good upbringing ;)
This is true btw