Author Topic: Myspace to Facebook - It Can All Slip Away  (Read 8091 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: Myspace to Facebook - It Can All Slip Away
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
I think the word is "currently", not "already".

The vast majority of homes who are ever going to have a PC already have one.  They'll upgrade it or add another one, but they won't do it as quickly as they'll upgrade their cell phone (which they're basically required to do every two years), and grabbing a tablet is a handy/trendy enough gadget that they'll buy one.  But it's not like they're buying it instead of a new PC.  They now have both.

I'm with Orbert.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
Fair enough... 16% of the population is with you guys.

And yes, some people are buying tablets instead of a PC... especially in business.  I'm in technology sales, and it's an immediate productivity improvement for many professionals.  The device is simply a means to accomplish something.  Who cares if it's a desktop tower, a laptop or a tablet ... if it allows you to accomplish what you want to do, so be it.

Back in the 1800s, Western Union used to hold on to the notion that there would always be a need for the telegraph so that people could communicate over long distances.  Then came the phone.

Seriously, technology disruption will always be here, and dominant forces can always be toppled.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2012, 11:52:17 AM »
Yay for the phone.  Nearly 100 years later, people were still sending telegrams.
Yay for the automobile, which completely replaced the railroad.  There are no trains anymore, right?
Yay for the airplane, which completely replaced the railroad, again.  There are definitely no trains anymore now, right?
Yay for the CD, which completely eliminated the vinyl LP.  Okay, that one's an "almost".

I'm not saying the demise of the PC will never happen.  But people are always talking about how the old technologies will go away, and faster than we think they will, and they're almost always wrong.  And I just don't see it happening when these new technologies cost money, and nobody has any right now.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »
It happening already in the business sector and it will happen in the consumer sector as well.  Convergence is coming.  And it's coming because it's convenient.  Oh, sure, desktops will be around for a long time yet, but they're already in the process of being phased out.  Especially in business and my company is a good example.  In fact, right now, today, I am setting up two HP Slate tablets for technicians that previously used to have laptops.

Here's the right side of my desk, featuring an HP Slate and my iPad:

Here's the left side of my desk featuring a second HP Slate:

We're rolling out 50 of these tablets in 2013, replacing 50 laptops.  And we're doing it because the tablets are vastly superior for our application to the laptops.  They're smaller, lighter, more convenient, and less expensive. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »
Yay for the phone.  Nearly 100 years later, people were still sending telegrams.
Yay for the automobile, which completely replaced the railroad.  There are no trains anymore, right?
Yay for the airplane, which completely replaced the railroad, again.  There are definitely no trains anymore now, right?
Yay for the CD, which completely eliminated the vinyl LP.  Okay, that one's an "almost".

I'm not saying the demise of the PC will never happen.  But people are always talking about how the old technologies will go away, and faster than we think they will, and they're almost always wrong.  And I just don't see it happening when these new technologies cost money, and nobody has any right now.

1. Telephones were not meant as a replacement for telegrams
2. Automobiles were not meant to replace trains
3. Airplanes were not meant to replace trains
4. CDs did, for all practical purposes replace vinyl, which has made a very, very small comeback as a boutique product at best.

You're missing the point.  The point is not spending MORE money on these new technologies, the point is spending LESS.  We're putting our guys on the tablets because it costs us LESS money to do so.  We're no longer paying printing costs for paper service slips (the tablets are part of an effort to go "paperless") and we are no longer paying the administrative overhead of processing those paper forms.  We're also spending $400 per unit for the tables when we were previously spending upwards of $600 to $800 for the laptops.  Plus, our application is in the cloud so the labor to configure the tablets is about 25% of what it was to configure the tablets.  Convergence.  It works.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2012, 12:13:31 PM »
Convergence works for some.  I can see tablets replacing laptops, since they're essentially the same niche.  What I can't see (again, perhaps because of my own myopeia) is a tablet replacing a tower with 4TB of hard storage and dual quad cores or whatever the heck they put in them nowadays.  The machines that do the actual crunching have to physically exist somewhere, don't they?  I'm not talking about clients, which I think you are.  I'm talking about the servers and actual workstations; I always have been, since that's what I work with.

Also, I was responding to jingle.boy's implication that the phone killed the telegram.  It did, eventually, but it took nearly 100 years.  And yes, when automobiles became mainstream, the demise of the railroad was widely predicted.  People would drive their cars, and goods would go by truck.  Some technologies die, but others adapt.

By the way, I see you've gone from "the traditional desktop PC will be out of the business space sooner than a lot of people think" to "desktops will be around for a long time yet".

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »

Bob... for every example you have, there are dozens of technologies that did die.  Ever have a Polaroid camera?  Know anyone that ever worked for Kodak?  Anyone making 8-track's anymore?  Where can I buy a Maxell XLII cassette nowadays?  What's the local AOL modem dial-up connection?  Don't forget to rewind your Beta tape before returning that rental to Blockbuster (oooohh... 2 in 1).

C'mon.   :D  ;)

I agree, the PC won't likely TOTALLY die, but they'll be like fax machines and pagers nowadays.  Largely irrelevant and replaced by newer/better/faster/cheaper/more robust alternatives .

Edit... on your above post... as I mentioned, when networking speeds and cost rival that of local system bus's or USB, then it won't matter if tha 4TB or the quad-core is physically in your local machine, or 1/2 around the country.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2012, 12:48:37 PM »
Convergence works for some.  I can see tablets replacing laptops, since they're essentially the same niche.  What I can't see (again, perhaps because of my own myopeia) is a tablet replacing a tower with 4TB of hard storage and dual quad cores or whatever the heck they put in them nowadays.  The machines that do the actual crunching have to physically exist somewhere, don't they?  I'm not talking about clients, which I think you are.  I'm talking about the servers and actual workstations; I always have been, since that's what I work with.

Also, I was responding to jingle.boy's implication that the phone killed the telegram.  It did, eventually, but it took nearly 100 years.  And yes, when automobiles became mainstream, the demise of the railroad was widely predicted.  People would drive their cars, and goods would go by truck.  Some technologies die, but others adapt.

By the way, I see you've gone from "the traditional desktop PC will be out of the business space sooner than a lot of people think" to "desktops will be around for a long time yet".

I do think the traditional desktop PC will be out of the business space very soon.  I think it because I'm living it, right now.  And my position hasn't evolved one bit.  I've acknowledged that desktops will still be around for some time to come, but not in anywhere near the numbers they are around today. 

Servers are a different animal, as are workstations.  Those are not desktop PCs.  They're, well, servers and workstations.  They serve different purposes.

By the way, as far as your comment about 4TB of storage goes......my company has 6TB of cloud storage.    And we have a dark fiber connection to it that runs at just shy of 50mbps upstream.  We backup most of our accounting and engineering data to that storage nightly.  With cloud services rapidly expanding the amount of storage you have available on your local computer will become, for all practical purposes, meaningless.  Why would you store anything on your local PC where it could be stolen/damaged, etc, when you could store it in the cloud on a server with redundant drive arrays and multiple backups?  Businesses are moving their data to the cloud because it's vastly superior to local network storage.  We just need internet connection speeds to catch up a bit more but it's coming.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »
If in the future, tablet devices are all there is, I really hope they get better interfaces for multitasking. The best thing about a desktop is having multiple displays and seeing everything you're doing at once without have to switch between apps.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2012, 01:17:05 PM »
^All of that. I was just amazed when tabs eliminated the need for separate windows. Small innovation, huge alleviation of annoyance.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »
I have a hard time seeing it being possible to watch a movie, browse dtf, play a game, and talk to people on skype all at the same time on a tablet.

Maybe they could just go the dock route. You have the multiple displays if you want, but you also just grab your tablet and go if you need to.

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2012, 01:27:32 PM »
By the way, as far as your comment about 4TB of storage goes......my company has 6TB of cloud storage.    And we have a dark fiber connection to it that runs at just shy of 50mbps upstream.  We backup most of our accounting and engineering data to that storage nightly.  With cloud services rapidly expanding the amount of storage you have available on your local computer will become, for all practical purposes, meaningless.  Why would you store anything on your local PC where it could be stolen/damaged, etc, when you could store it in the cloud on a server with redundant drive arrays and multiple backups?  Businesses are moving their data to the cloud because it's vastly superior to local network storage.  We just need internet connection speeds to catch up a bit more but it's coming.

I completely agree on the need of up/down speeds (mostly up) being greatly increased, to allow the rise of a global high profile sharing network. Still, I don't really know the hardware behind a cloud storage system. I assume all the material is hosted indefinitely on remote servers, but what if one of those server fails? All data on it is gone forever? I am searching my memory for answers, but I can't find one.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2012, 01:28:11 PM »
By the way, as far as your comment about 4TB of storage goes......my company has 6TB of cloud storage.

Wait... I have 4TB in a PC under my desk, and I'm supposed to be impressed that your entire company has a total of 6TB in the cloud?

Look, I'll admit to being kinda belligerant here, but that's how I respond to what I think are some pretty far-fetched claims, claims along exactly the same lines which have proven to be wrong many times in the past.

But I've also admitted that I don't fully understand what exactly is being claimed here.  To me, a desktop PC is a workstation.  We also use them as servers.  They're just Dells with as much CPU and hard drive as we can stuff into them.  It's still a PC, or a workstation, or whatever; we use the terms interchangably around here.  The analysts' "workstations" became laptops years ago, and now they're tablets.  But you still need workstations to actually crunch the data.

So help me out.  What exactly is "the cloud" of which you speak?  I thought it was just storage, but apparently I'm wrong if it can replace actual workstations.  And that takes me back to my question: Where exactly does the crunching take place?  Does the cloud crunch?  Because if not, then you still need PCs.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
It's kind of funny to me. First there were terminals hooking up to some massive computer someplace, then computers became smaller and smaller, now, everyone wants to go back to the terminals, only they access remote storage and power, not local ones. Not a gripe, just an observation.

I think two things impede the progress of the cloud. One is the speed of data connections to online, and the other is the cost. Imagine if you could get unlimited fast data anywhere you go. If people are switching to tablets, mobile data is certainly desirable. But currently, it costs quite a bit from mobile phone companies (here in the US anyway), and it is still not fast enough to make the cloud the main base of operations.

Regarding the switch to mobile devices, I like my iPad quite a bit. But I still view it as a toy. It is great for checking email, surfing the web, and watching movies. I really never do anything of value on it. Yet I admit that to a large number of computer users, that is all they do. In that regard I think it could replace the desktop. Also, tablets like the Surface are showing me that they can combine some power and usability and make gains at replacing laptops and other computers, especially at the workplace.

The downsides I see to tablets are screen space and power. I don't want to run AutoCAD on a tablet, it is just to small to work with. My friend is not going to be rendering Adobe After Effects projects with a tablet. But honestly, those are pretty specific user requirements that the vast majority of people do not do. And that is where future cloud applications would come in. Just give me a 27" screen with an internet connection, load up a cloud application and I'm good to go.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »
Semi random thoughts regarding the past few posts.

I'm pretty sure Barry meant 6 PB.  I doubt his company could run on 6TB.  :lol

What is the cloud?  Think of it like how we use electricity.  You don't generate your own power in your house, it's all centralized, and you plug into an outlet on your wall.  The utility companies produce and distribute the electricity.  That's what Cloud Computing is.  You won't have any actual computing power in your house or your own "computer", but all the CPU and storage would be "delivered" to you.  All backed up and managed by the cloud provider.  Netflix is a cloud service.  In theory, you don't actually need to buy/rent physical DVD's anymore, or have a DVD player... just an interface into Netflix, and they serve the movie to your TV screen (that's the theory, I realize in practice they don't have every movie and we still need DVD players and DVDs).  Hope that makes sense. 

Bob... not sure why the belligerent attitude/responses.  We're all free to disagree and make points/counter-points constructively.  It would seem that the interchangeability of terms like PC, Workstation and Server is not the consistent.  Workstations are not exactly the same as PCs (at least, IMO), so I see your view on still needing the compute power that those provide.

Security is one of the bigger issues with cloud adoption.  Cost and bandwidth is continuously improving, but there are tons of issues related to security that prevent some companies from moving their existing IT processes (at least, the absolutely critical ones) to cloud.

Today, tablets are ideal for viewing content... they're not so great at creating content - PC's are better suited for that.  I believe that will evolve however.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »
Okay, okay.  I'm just gonna bow out of this conversation.  What you guys are saying mostly makes sense, but I still feel like I must be missing something huge, because I'm just not seeing how the supposed advantages of cloud computing outweigh the disadvantages.

Right now, I have a PC and I can play games on it, or compose music, or even do work.  This would be true whether or not my internet connection was down, or even if I didn't have one at all.  That's because it has both software and hardware.  Somehow, however, it's supposed to be better to have a dumb terminal and have all my storage and actual CPU "in the cloud".  As I see it, once everything's gone to the cloud, I can't work, play, or compose without a connection, for which I'm sure I'll pay a monthly fee.  But this is better.  This is progress.

Today, I can take my laptop with me on a plane, train, or automobile, and it will work.  If I had a tablet and a cloud connection isn't available, I wouldn't be able to do anything with it.  I'll be sitting there with a piece of metal and plastic.  I just don't understand how this is supposed to be better than what I have today.

As for the belligerance, yeah, I'm sorry about that.  I'm a crotchety old fart, but I'm not against change if there's a clear advantage to it.  I'm just having trouble seeing the advantage to taking things away from people and putting them in the hands of corporations, then selling these same things back to the people for a monthly fee, and calling it progress.

Edited to fix numerous typos, etc.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:44:28 PM by Orbert »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »
I just hate when people point to tablets as being the "future of gaming". Anyone who thinks that (not necessary anyone in this thread) has an extremely limited imagination when it comes to gaming. I suspect PC gaming will be around for awhile, and in 10 years it will be very different, but it'll resemble the desktop/console experience still way more than it does the tablet experience.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2012, 11:03:25 PM »
Speaking of all this... I've been looking at getting a Sony vaio duo which is a small laptop that slides into a tablet. Its got a core i5 and ssd with windows 8. To me that's the shit, a tablet/laptop that has juice. Now I'm also looking g at a gtx 680 or 660ti for my PC so there ya go, a PC that aight dying and new technology.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2012, 06:15:27 AM »
By the way, as far as your comment about 4TB of storage goes......my company has 6TB of cloud storage.

Wait... I have 4TB in a PC under my desk, and I'm supposed to be impressed that your entire company has a total of 6TB in the cloud?

Look, I'll admit to being kinda belligerant here, but that's how I respond to what I think are some pretty far-fetched claims, claims along exactly the same lines which have proven to be wrong many times in the past.

But I've also admitted that I don't fully understand what exactly is being claimed here.  To me, a desktop PC is a workstation.  We also use them as servers.  They're just Dells with as much CPU and hard drive as we can stuff into them.  It's still a PC, or a workstation, or whatever; we use the terms interchangably around here.  The analysts' "workstations" became laptops years ago, and now they're tablets.  But you still need workstations to actually crunch the data.

So help me out.  What exactly is "the cloud" of which you speak?  I thought it was just storage, but apparently I'm wrong if it can replace actual workstations.  And that takes me back to my question: Where exactly does the crunching take place?  Does the cloud crunch?  Because if not, then you still need PCs.

First of all, I don't think you're being belligerent at all  :)   We're just talking.  It's cool, man.  I understand that you (and many typical computer users, and even advanced users and enthusiasts) tend to use the term "PC" and "Workstation" interchangeably, but they are really not the same thing.  They serve different purposes, generally.  Most of the PCs here in our office are equipped with a single mid-level Core i3 or Core i5 CPU, 4GB of RAM and a 250GB SATA-300 hard drive.  They are used for a variety of tasks, generally word processing, a bit of spreadsheet work, entering data into our accounting software and internet browsing either for buying stock from suppliers or research, etc.  They're fairly light duty machines and so they're equipped accordingly.  The typical workstation, on the other hand, is a different animal.  These are generally equipped with a pair of Quad-Core Xeon CPUs, a high-end Graphics Card with onboard GPU for rendering 3D models and running program simulations for our Control Systems.  Most of these are equipped with enterprise-level storage including either RAID 5 or RAID 10 with 10,000 RPM SATA drives @ 2TB.  They cost about 4 or 5 times what a typical desktop costs because of the robust configuration.   Our Servers are mostly HP Proliant ML380G7's and other than the SQL Server Cluster, they don't do much high-end processing and are used mostly for storage and security/domain authentication/DNS, etc.  Typical Windows Server environment.  So, while I do understand how some people use the terms "PC" "Workstation" and even "Server" and visualize one kind of thing, that is not always the case.  Especially in a mid-sized enterprise like the one I run here.

So, anyway, to try to answer some of your other questions, I'll take 'em one at a time and let me just qualify this with an acknowledgement that I am not making any claims that cannot be challenged and I am not claiming that everything I am telling you is absolutely 100% the way things will be.  A lot of it is conjecture, but it's based on the fact that I am immersed in the industry and it's a big part of my responsibilities as the director of I.T. at this company to be keeping my ears to the ground as they say.  Which is why I attend at least two major technical seminars every month.  Lately, especially in the last year or so, there has been a rapidly expanding interest in cloud services and consequently, I've attended probably a dozen or so conferences on the topic.  That doesn't make me an expert by any means.  I'm really just starting to gain a good understanding of how these services work and what the underlying technology is that makes them work.  Bu the consistent theme at all of the seminars I've gone to about "Cloud Computing" has been that the desktop PC as we know it today, is very likely to undergo such a substantial transformation in the coming....decade, maybe decade and a half.....that for all intents and purposes, 10 or 15 years from now, desktop PCs will probably be quite rare.

Now your questions:

Quote from: Orbert
So help me out.  What exactly is "the cloud" of which you speak? 
Boiled down to its base, "the cloud" is essentially "the internet"
Here's a video that does a pretty good job of explaining it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu4FYSFeWqg

I thought it was just storage, but apparently I'm wrong if it can replace actual workstations. 
Well, it has not reached the point where it can fully replace actual PCs and Workstations, but if innovation continues at the rate that it has been going, we're going to be able to do amazing things all in the cloud, and probably all on a small hand-held device that you can plug in to a dock that will functionally feel a lot like a PC but won't really be a PC.

And that takes me back to my question: Where exactly does the crunching take place?  Does the cloud crunch?  Because if not, then you still need PCs.

It depends on the application.  The cloud can do some "crunching" already, for example, that OnLive cloud app that I linked to earlier in the thread:
https://desktop.onlive.com/

That application is a "cloud" app that delivers a pretty rich Windows 7 Professional (with Office 2010 and Adobe Acrobat as well) to your tablet device.  Some of the processing for that is done by the servers that are delivering the application, some of it is done locally on the tablet.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:34:33 AM by kirksnosehair »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2012, 06:18:31 AM »

Nope, right now it's just 6TB - we're only using it to backup work in progress, nothing of an archival nature at all.  That would, indeed, require a massive amount of cloud storage and it's just too expensive right now, although prices are coming down pretty regularly.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2012, 07:04:22 AM »

Nope, right now it's just 6TB - we're only using it to backup work in progress, nothing of an archival nature at all.  That would, indeed, require a massive amount of cloud storage and it's just too expensive right now, although prices are coming down pretty regularly.

Just some of the structured data I assume?

Couple other points.  Bob... don't feel you have to back out of the conversation.  Nothing wrong with different viewpoints - as frustrating as they might be for each side  ;)

Personally, and pretty much the entire IT industry sees it this way too, the benefits and appeal of anytime/anywhere/anyhow computing out-weigh the costs (tangible or intangible), as well as the benefits of the existing/traditional computing model.  I again draw the analogy to electricity.  We're talking about a future state where computing power and storage is available over-the-air, anytime, anywhere, 24x7.  When the power goes down, it's only temporary.  We pay the utility companies to manage and provide us with power - people don't individually generate and manage their household power needs.  That's the future state of computing as well.  And we're not talking about a completely 100% dumb terminal that ONLY works when connected to the internet.  Devices will still need and be able to perform some tasks themselves.  Again, using the power analogy... AC vs DC.  Most of our critical electrical needs come AC.

At a macro level, as Barry said, the Internet itself is a cloud service.  We don't have all the information on the Internet locally on our home PC's.  I know that's a little facetious, but the theory is still the same.

I still have a home laptop (what I'm typing this on), and a 2TB hard drive, and everything I need sitting on my desk.  However, I'm starting to save files on Google Drive, so that I can access them from any device, at any time... not just on my laptop's hard drive. And that technology and trend has already started - Netflix for movies, Spotify for music, Dropbox for files etc... and that's just the consumer space.  The list goes on and on, and the momentum it's gaining in the last 2 years is as big as the momentum the Internet itself had in the mid-late 90s.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2012, 07:49:59 AM »

Just some of the structured data I assume?

Kind of...we back up the entire accounting server, historical instances of it and work in progress from our engineering and programming groups.  Our accounting software is (generally garbage if I'm being honest) called Maxwell Management Suite, and it caters to the construction industry.  We have it deployed in a Microsoft HyperV virtual environment.  There's one live production instance and 4 historical instances that provide a backwards-facing view of our accounting and financial situation going back about 6 years.  It's a total of 5 VMs, each running Server 2008 R2 and the Maxwell software.  They each consume about 40GB to 60GB.  That all backed up to our cloud service storage over a secure SSL VPN, with private (dark fiber) connection.

The engineering and programming stuff which is a combination of AutoCAD and Something called SolidWORKS on the programming side takes most of the rest of the space - this is where we truly only send projects that are active and in progress, the rest is archived to hard drives and stored in a building down the street from our office.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2012, 07:56:42 AM »
I do see the day, someday, when the internet is ubiquitous and everybody has access to pretty much everything all the time.  I grew up reading sci-fi, after all.  But I just don't see the changes coming nearly as quickly as some are saying.  As I said upthread, the tech is undoubtably there, but the funds are not.  The tech currently exists for every company on the planet to be doing two or three or ten times the business they're doing right now; the tech exists but the money does not.  Everyone in my department could be cranking out two or three or ten times the amount of data they're currently doing, but we don't have the hardware, because we don't have the money.

As amazing as cloud computing sounds -- and it does sound pretty cool -- what I keep hearing is "but we're not there yet" and "but it's coming (and sooner than you think)" and "but right now it's too expensive".  Okay, in that case I'll get excited when I see it.  For right now, I'll keep my data and CPU, physically, where I can see them.

Remember "smart appliances"?  Your refrigerator knows when you're low on milk, and it interfaces with your PC and automatically orders more from Peapod for you?  That sounded cool, too.  How about maglev transport?  Completely doable, fast, efficient, and prohibitively expensive.  Alternative fuels?  Still in its infancy, as it has been for decades now.  And no, I'm not going to go off about jet packs and flying cars, because let's face it, those were silly and impractical to begin with.  But there are a lot of things we can do now that we don't.

A pessimist doesn't think it'll happen.  I think it'll happen, I just don't think it will be as fast as some think.  A lot of things have happened that we didn't even imagine 10 years ago, but a lot of the things we imagined 10 or 20 or 50 years ago that we were sure would happen by the 21st century still haven't happened yet.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »
It's funny you mentioned that.  Have you heard of Ray Ozzie?  We have turned his home into one of the most automated houses in the country using this stuff

We're a Schneider Electric partner. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2012, 08:15:53 AM »
Bob... you're absolutely right.  There are going to be those that oppose, and barriers to continuing that.  For instance, I remember a commercial IBM had years ago, showing how the retail/grocery industry could swap all of their UPC labels with RFID tags, and we wouldn't need checkout lines anymore.  Just grab what you want, scan your wallet to pay, and off you go.  That tech is there, but deploying it is a very complex proposition.

Time will tell.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
It's funny you mentioned that.  Have you heard of Ray Ozzie?  We have turned his home into one of the most automated houses in the country using this stuff

We're a Schneider Electric partner. 

That's some cool stuff right there, and yeah, it's what I was thinking about with my "smart appliance" example (which obviously didn't go nearly as far as what "smart homes" can do).  But there's still a huge difference between saying "we can do this now" and "soon we will all have this".  They were predicting that this would be the norm by 2010 or so.  Looks like we're behind the curve.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
Yeah, it's interesting that the "smart appliance" thing hasn't gained more traction in the market.  I think part of the problem is the expense.  Ray Ozzie is a multi-millionaire so it's no skin off his neck to pour thousands of dollars into fancy control systems for his home, but the average homeowner doesn't typically have that kind of disposable income.

It's pretty cool what we can do, though.  Ray can turn up the heat in any room in his house or turn lights on or off in any room and around the perimeter of his property from his iPhone.