Author Topic: The random thoughts thread.  (Read 116743 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: The random thoughts thread.
« Reply #1365 on: August 30, 2023, 02:27:56 PM »
i was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if it looked like James LaBrie himself was the one saying the stuff i'm writing in my posts? i mean, i'm not a famous rock star or anything, but i thought it'd be a neat little way to pay tribute to someone i really admire. it's not about copying him or anything like that, it's more like a nod of appreciation. i flipped my avatar horizontally to make it seem like he's facing the other way, you know, like he's looking at the words i'm typing and saying them with his unique voice. it's a bit quirky, i'll admit, but it's just something fun i wanted to do. it's not like i'm trying to fool anyone into thinking i'm James LaBrie or anything crazy like that. it's just a small, creative way to express my fandom.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1366 on: August 30, 2023, 02:29:33 PM »
i was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if it looked like James LaBrie himself was the one saying the stuff i'm writing in my posts? i mean, i'm not a famous rock star or anything, but i thought it'd be a neat little way to pay tribute to someone i really admire. it's not about copying him or anything like that, it's more like a nod of appreciation. i flipped my avatar horizontally to make it seem like he's facing the other way, you know, like he's looking at the words i'm typing and saying them with his unique voice. it's a bit quirky, i'll admit, but it's just something fun i wanted to do. it's not like i'm trying to fool anyone into thinking i'm James LaBrie or anything crazy like that. it's just a small, creative way to express my fandom.

Ok, James....

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1367 on: August 30, 2023, 02:56:29 PM »

Ok, James....

Is this Portnoy trolling?

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1368 on: August 30, 2023, 02:57:30 PM »
ha! i can assure you i'm not the blue-bearded man himself  :millahhhh
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #1369 on: August 30, 2023, 03:04:47 PM »
you know, i'll admit that drag queens make me a tad uncomfortable (no offense to any drag queens that might be reading this, i wish you the best, if you like dream theater, then you obviously have good taste, just how i was raised), but it got me thinking about how, anatomically speaking, it does seem to make more sense for men to wear skirts and women to wear pants. i mean, considering the obvious differences.

not trying to stir the pot or anything, just thought it was an interesting thought. my dad's side of the family came from scotland so maybe my blood just longs for the good old days of free- well, you get the idea! :hat
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1370 on: August 30, 2023, 06:35:57 PM »
you know, i'll admit that drag queens make me a tad uncomfortable (no offense to any drag queens that might be reading this, i wish you the best, if you like dream theater, then you obviously have good taste, just how i was raised), but it got me thinking about how, anatomically speaking, it does seem to make more sense for men to wear skirts and women to wear pants. i mean, considering the obvious differences.

not trying to stir the pot or anything, just thought it was an interesting thought. my dad's side of the family came from scotland so maybe my blood just longs for the good old days of free- well, you get the idea! :hat

Outstanding post. How many Dream Theater fans are drag queens? Hmmm!? I have to admit that never CROSSED my mind. Would you be more comfortable with a drag queen that's a Dream Theater fan? (I never thought I would ever be typing this)  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1371 on: August 30, 2023, 06:38:29 PM »
I may feel off about it. I just ask yo give me time. I'm just not wired like that. I want all to be happy. Be you. I can adjust.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1372 on: August 30, 2023, 06:51:36 PM »
it got me thinking about how, anatomically speaking, it does seem to make more sense for men to wear skirts and women to wear pants.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1373 on: August 31, 2023, 07:58:04 AM »
just had a random thought while taking a shower. you know how they say "the early bird catches the worm"? well, it occurred to me that maybe it's not just about waking up early to be productive. maybe it's also about being proactive - like going after what you want before others do.

kind of like life's a competition, and if you're not on top of things, you might miss out. doesn't mean you can't catch some worms later, but maybe there's something about seizing opportunities early that sets you up for success. :tup

I have ten acres, set back from the road.  My driveway is about 800 feet before it opens up into my yard.  Technically speaking, there is a second driveway right next to mine that follows the 800 feet then curves to the right and leads to 10 acres behind mine.  The second 10 has been owned by a couple a couple towns over for at least 30 years.  They're clearly not doing anything with it. 

I talked with my wife this spring about seeing if they'd sell.  I could do nothing with it - but rest easy that no one would build next to me - or I could lend part of it to my step son and let him build something in the back.  In June, when we sold my parent's condo I said "I'm going to call them" but procrastinated.   I got around to calling about a week ago, and asked my wife for their names (she's awesome at searching that stuff).  Sunovabitch, but they sold the property on July 3rd to my neighbor two houses down.   

I'd say there's something to your analysis.

sometimes those windows of opportunity can be surprisingly short, huh? sorry to hear you missed out on that property, but your experience definitely adds weight to the idea that being proactive can play a role in how things pan out. on a brighter note, who knows what other opportunities might come your way? it's all part of the adventure of life, i suppose, and you move forward equipped with what you've learned from the mistakes and missed opportunities of the past. 🙏

Well, there's the "early bird" aspect of this, but there's also the sort of "fate" aspect or viewpoint.  I know for me, who tends to overthink things, my initial reaction is usually "dammit, I missed that opportunity" but I usually come around to "if it was meant to be it was meant to be".   I think a lot of it is mindset, but I'm usually okay with dealing with the feelings of "missing out".   Only in a handful of cases does it ever linger and even then, it's usually dumb stuff, like not seeing Deep Purple in '85, or Oasis in 2013...

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1374 on: August 31, 2023, 08:09:18 AM »

Outstanding post. How many Dream Theater fans are drag queens? Hmmm!? I have to admit that never CROSSED my mind. Would you be more comfortable with a drag queen that's a Dream Theater fan? (I never thought I would ever be typing this)  :lol
Well, there is at least one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49o2u07j-r0&t=134s

He's not a Drag Queen per se, but does have an alternate personality that is, plus he's a monster of a player.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #1375 on: September 01, 2023, 03:10:45 AM »
so i was just sitting here thinking about music and how it's changed over the years. you know, back in the day, we had bands like iron maiden writing songs like "run to the hills." but nowadays, i can't help but wonder how that song would be received if it came out today. it seems like everything is so darn politicized, and people are just too sensitive. it's like you can't enjoy a good rock song without someone getting all worked up.

i can almost hear it now, the left would probably hate it for singing about genocide and using slurs. they'd say it's offensive and should be canceled. and on the other hand, the right might hate it for making white people the bad guys. they'd accuse the band of pushing some kind of agenda.

i miss the days when we could rock out to iron maiden without worrying about offending someone or being labeled as something we're not. maybe it's time we all take a step back and remember that music is supposed to bring people together, not tear us apart. :heart
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #1376 on: September 01, 2023, 03:19:24 AM »
so i was just sitting here thinking about music and how it's changed over the years. you know, back in the day, we had bands like iron maiden writing songs like "run to the hills." but nowadays, i can't help but wonder how that song would be received if it came out today. it seems like everything is so darn politicized, and people are just too sensitive. it's like you can't enjoy a good rock song without someone getting all worked up.

i can almost hear it now, the left would probably hate it for singing about genocide and using slurs. they'd say it's offensive and should be canceled. and on the other hand, the right might hate it for making white people the bad guys. they'd accuse the band of pushing some kind of agenda.

i miss the days when we could rock out to iron maiden without worrying about offending someone or being labeled as something we're not. maybe it's time we all take a step back and remember that music is supposed to bring people together, not tear us apart. :heart
I get where you're coming from and it's true that there's more sensitivity around certain topics today. But hey, music is still a powerful way to bring people together. Not everyone gets worked up about it and there are plenty of songs out there that people enjoy without all the fuss. So, let's keep rocking out and enjoying the tunes, and remember that music is meant to unite us, not divide us  :hat :chill.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1377 on: September 01, 2023, 05:19:16 AM »
The genius of Run To The Hills is that each verse is written from each side’s POV.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: September 01, 2023, 06:28:14 PM »
What's even more astounding is that Steve said the song took 5 minutes to write.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #1379 on: September 12, 2023, 02:59:52 PM »
i don't get it. why is ordering chicken strips at a restaurant seen as a childish thing, but if you add waffles to it, suddenly it's all grown-up and fancy? seems a bit strange to me! 🍗🧇😄

also, imagine eating pancakes when you could just eat waffles that have built-in syrup cups. embarrassing :) :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1380 on: September 12, 2023, 04:27:24 PM »
I usually stab my pancakes several times with a fork.  That way the melting butter and syrup permeate throughout the pancakes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: September 12, 2023, 04:29:04 PM »
This pancake shaming must stop! :lol

I love both. Great variety. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1382 on: September 12, 2023, 04:46:57 PM »
I put butter and syrup between pancake layers and make a pancake lasagna.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1383 on: September 12, 2023, 04:54:43 PM »
Waffles. Good waffles.

Good waffles are better than pancakes. Though I'm one of the weird heretics who doesn't want extra butter on my pancakes or waffles. If they're served with butter on it already, I'll move it off and just spread around the stuff that I can't move off of it.

That said, I had red velvet pancakes with fruit and a Chantilly cream on it in Lisbon, and I think I almost got pregnant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1384 on: September 12, 2023, 06:35:10 PM »
Now I'm craving Pancakes and Waffles.  :facepalm:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: September 12, 2023, 06:45:45 PM »
Hummingbirds are oddly aggressive!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1386 on: September 12, 2023, 06:58:43 PM »
That said, I had red velvet pancakes with fruit and a Chantilly cream on it in Lisbon, and I think I almost got pregnant.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: September 12, 2023, 07:26:26 PM »
Adami, you  cheating whore.

Online Adami

« Reply #1388 on: September 12, 2023, 07:35:54 PM »
Adami, you  cheating whore.

I’m sorry. I couldn’t help myself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: September 12, 2023, 07:51:39 PM »
I still love you, I can't help myself.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: September 12, 2023, 08:55:54 PM »
Though I'm one of the weird heretics who doesn't want extra butter on my pancakes or waffles.

That's where spray butter comes in. A light mist of butter is all you need.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #1391 on: September 18, 2023, 02:47:49 PM »
Kidnap = wrong

Catnap = right

Seems odd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: March 22, 2024, 04:50:27 AM »
Reading a book is like binge watching words.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1393 on: March 22, 2024, 09:48:12 AM »
Kidnap = wrong

Catnap = right

Seems odd.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1394 on: March 22, 2024, 09:52:28 AM »
Reading that make me carsick.  :)

Online Adami

« Reply #1395 on: March 22, 2024, 09:53:18 AM »
Reading that make me carsick.  :)

Carsick and homesick. Another oddity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1396 on: March 22, 2024, 05:54:39 PM »
I don’t know about you guys, but back when I was in elementary school, they spent a lot time talking about Johnny Appleseed.

As an adult, Johnny Appleseed never comes up.

Why did they spend so much time on Johnny Appleseed.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1397 on: March 22, 2024, 06:55:39 PM »
Why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: March 22, 2024, 07:15:38 PM »
I was in 8th grade, a crosswalk guard and I took it very seriously. So seriously,  I had Priests and nuns praise me.

Seems empty now. Lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1399 on: March 22, 2024, 07:16:48 PM »
I was in 8th grade, a crosswalk guard and I took it very seriously. So seriously,  I had Priests and nuns praise me.

Seems empty now. Lol

Priests and Nuns praise everybody. that's literally their job.

Wait..when you say praise do you mean......nah...nevermind.