Author Topic: The random thoughts thread.  (Read 116940 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The random thoughts thread.
« Reply #1330 on: August 23, 2023, 01:48:53 PM »
I'm shocked these are marketed towards kids.  Crazy a 'food' like this is a staple in an American diet.  People wonder why there's an obesity crisis.

Aa I said, Ive never had them as they have never really been a thing over here.  I could be wrong but I don't think I've seen them in supermarkets until the last couple years or so.  There was only a couple of flavours to choose from, got the chocolate and cookies and creme.  The cookies and cream was unreal.  The chocolate was a straight solid.

For the first time ever eating them, I think I nailed the amount of time in the toaster.  But, I'm sure everyone has their preferences on how to prepare them.

The sugar crash after two of them was surprising as I'm quite good with sugar but boy these hit me.  Next time I'll spread some PB or Nutella on them for extra flavour.  :lol

I guess thinking about it, it's like Nutella.  That's heavily marketed here as like a breakfast spread and the commercials even try to play it off like it's somewhat healthy and a good thing to have.  Mind blowing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1331 on: August 23, 2023, 02:43:08 PM »
I'm shocked these are marketed towards kids.  Crazy a 'food' like this is a staple in an American diet.  People wonder why there's an obesity crisis.

Aa I said, Ive never had them as they have never really been a thing over here.  I could be wrong but I don't think I've seen them in supermarkets until the last couple years or so.  There was only a couple of flavours to choose from, got the chocolate and cookies and creme.  The cookies and cream was unreal.  The chocolate was a straight solid.

For the first time ever eating them, I think I nailed the amount of time in the toaster.  But, I'm sure everyone has their preferences on how to prepare them.

The sugar crash after two of them was surprising as I'm quite good with sugar but boy these hit me.  Next time I'll spread some PB or Nutella on them for extra flavour.  :lol

I guess thinking about it, it's like Nutella.  That's heavily marketed here as like a breakfast spread and the commercials even try to play it off like it's somewhat healthy and a good thing to have.  Mind blowing.

if you think that is bad...   

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1332 on: August 23, 2023, 02:53:14 PM »
I just had a couple of pop tarts for the first time.  They're not really a staple over here but got a couple of boxes half price at the supermarket as I've always been intrigued, plus I'm trying to get some extra easy carbs.

What the fuck are these marketed as over there, am I right in thinking they are a breakfast food?  Are these eaten by children?  I quite liked them as I have a sweet tooth but they are the most sugar laden pieces of non nutritious crap I think I've ever eaten, and I've eaten some junk.

What is the fucking point of these?  I'm confused where in the average diet these could possibly fall into, holy hell!

I'm getting to the point in my fitness journey where my belief is that all foods can fit into a 'healthy' diet - even pop tarts.  Demonizing and restricting certain foods are what caused me to become overweight through years of yoyo dieting.  Finally at age 58, I've been able to lose 35 pounds this past year and completely change my body through weight training.  I got there by allowing myself occasional indulgences.  A recent one for me is 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, mixed with half a scoop of vanilla protein powder, and 1 cinnamon pop tart.  DELISH and I get my protein in, satisfy my sweet tooth, and avoid the sugar crash.

Restriction leads to binging for me.  When I changed from a scarcity mindset to an abundance mindset, every thing changed.  YMMV
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1333 on: August 23, 2023, 02:58:28 PM »
I just had a couple of pop tarts for the first time.  They're not really a staple over here but got a couple of boxes half price at the supermarket as I've always been intrigued, plus I'm trying to get some extra easy carbs.

What the fuck are these marketed as over there, am I right in thinking they are a breakfast food?  Are these eaten by children?  I quite liked them as I have a sweet tooth but they are the most sugar laden pieces of non nutritious crap I think I've ever eaten, and I've eaten some junk.

What is the fucking point of these?  I'm confused where in the average diet these could possibly fall into, holy hell!

I'm getting to the point in my fitness journey where my belief is that all foods can fit into a 'healthy' diet - even pop tarts.  Demonizing and restricting certain foods are what caused me to become overweight through years of yoyo dieting.  Finally at age 58, I've been able to lose 35 pounds this past year and completely change my body through weight training.  I got there by allowing myself occasional indulgences.  A recent one for me is 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, mixed with half a scoop of vanilla protein powder, and 1 cinnamon pop tart.  DELISH and I get my protein in, satisfy my sweet tooth, and avoid the sugar crash.

Restriction leads to binging for me.  When I changed from a scarcity mindset to an abundance mindset, every thing changed.  YMMV

Great post and congrats on that. At 53 I'm struggling to lose weight. Key is moderation.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: August 23, 2023, 03:35:49 PM »

My daughter showed me a recipe that is similar to that (but we didn't use the pop tart, only because we didn't have them at the time).  There was something else in there though; I forget what.  It was delicious.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1335 on: August 23, 2023, 03:44:04 PM »

Great post and congrats on that. At 53 I'm struggling to lose weight. Key is moderation.

Thanks so much.  I'm not at goal yet but now, my approach is so different that I am confident I will reach my goal.  How many times did I fall for the, "How to lose 20 pounds in a month!" bullshit advertising?  Because that shit is not sustainable.  What good is it to restrict so much to lose that 20 pounds if the moment you go off the diet you gain it all back and more?  I swear, I feel so stupid for taking this long to figure it out but damn it feels great knowing I will NEVER diet again.

Instead of what can't I eat - it's what can I add?  More protein, more fiber - bigger plates of food, especially breakfast, that keep me full throughout the day and less likely to snarf down a bag of chips in front of the television.  But if I really want some chips - then I work them into my day.  I don't feel deprived.  It is freedom.  And yes, moderation is a huge key.

Stadler - adding fruit like apple slices is great too.  Crumbled up granola or cereal even.  So yummy even without the pop tart.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: August 23, 2023, 03:52:49 PM »
I think it was granola.  (I've texted her to find out).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: August 23, 2023, 03:55:49 PM »
Honestly, that's old for a wrestler. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1338 on: August 23, 2023, 04:30:18 PM »
Honestly, that's old for a wrestler.

I have so many questions.....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: August 23, 2023, 05:15:32 PM »

Well......this wasn't really the point of my post initially.  As I've mentioned before, I've been through all of that with being extra fat, being almost anorexic and everything in between. 

These days, I make everything work and still maintain low body fat, hence why I'm able to eat them....  But my point is that as others have said, these sorts of foods are targeted towards children and seem to be part of an average American's diet.  Regardless of using the knowledge you have to make them work within your diet, there's a reason there's an obesity epidemic, that's my point.  People think they are a normal, breakfast food.  They are anything but when we are looking at trying to dumb things down for the average person that has no idea on nutrition. 

In fairness though same could be said with cereals and whatnot but eating these really made me just think, "WTF?!'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: August 23, 2023, 05:18:50 PM »
Also, the macros on these things from memory were like 4 grams of fat, 32 grams of sugar and like 2 grams of protein.  If you look at calories it was just under 400 calories for 2, which seems okay but the macro split is insane. 

It's probably also the old eating disorders coming back in me, but to maintain what I currently am, with those sorts of macros, I wouldn't even contemplate eating these if I weren't running a minimum of 10km a day plus weight training.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1341 on: August 23, 2023, 07:44:57 PM »
Thanks so much.  I'm not at goal yet but now, my approach is so different that I am confident I will reach my goal.  How many times did I fall for the, "How to lose 20 pounds in a month!" bullshit advertising?  Because that shit is not sustainable.  What good is it to restrict so much to lose that 20 pounds if the moment you go off the diet you gain it all back and more?  I swear, I feel so stupid for taking this long to figure it out but damn it feels great knowing I will NEVER diet again.

Instead of what can't I eat - it's what can I add?  More protein, more fiber - bigger plates of food, especially breakfast, that keep me full throughout the day and less likely to snarf down a bag of chips in front of the television.  But if I really want some chips - then I work them into my day.  I don't feel deprived.  It is freedom.  And yes, moderation is a huge key.

I am working my way here. I had a low carb hot pocket by using a low carb tortilla, putting some pizza sauce, mozz, and pepperoni and folding it over like a calzone. Put a little eggwash on it and airfried it. Not as good as the real thing, but it was still good. Had it with some tator tots. Much better than my usual after school snack of hitting up a burger joint.

My next goal is working more greek yogurt in. I have tried using sugar free jello and some fruit and/or chocolate chips to great effect.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: August 24, 2023, 05:54:47 AM »
Casein protein powder, some oats and yoghurt is where it's at.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1343 on: August 24, 2023, 01:27:17 PM »

Add 2 strawberry pop tarts.  :biggrin:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1344 on: August 24, 2023, 08:28:34 PM »

I've seen some cool recipes online that I need to try.

I have been having cold coffee, almond milk, and chocolate whey protein as part of breakfst. Really good stuff, lasts me through teaching 5 classes in a row.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: August 25, 2023, 04:58:19 AM »

I've seen some cool recipes online that I need to try.

I have been having cold coffee, almond milk, and chocolate whey protein as part of breakfst. Really good stuff, lasts me through teaching 5 classes in a row.

Coffee in chocolate protein shakes is another win mate.  Perfect for summer.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: August 25, 2023, 05:18:03 AM »
When did this thread turn into a coffee klatch?

Random thought: With all the protein powder Kade consumes, he must fart near continuously.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1347 on: August 27, 2023, 05:36:11 PM »
If someone donates their hair to Locks of Love and the recipient of that hair commits a crime will the donor's DNA be all over that crime scene?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1348 on: August 27, 2023, 05:40:48 PM »
If someone donates their hair to Locks of Love and the recipient of that hair commits a crime will the donor's DNA be all over that crime scene?

I think that was on an episode of Girls5Eva.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1349 on: August 27, 2023, 05:45:21 PM »

Never heard of that show.  Did they come up with an answer?

Offline Adami

« Reply #1350 on: August 27, 2023, 05:56:04 PM »

Never heard of that show.  Did they come up with an answer?

Good show! Mostly.

Honestly it’s a blur. I think they realized it was from hair extensions or something and they accidentally found the original donor. Didn’t take long to realize it wasn’t her.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1351 on: August 27, 2023, 07:16:53 PM »

I was going to respond with a completely different DNA scenario.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: August 27, 2023, 08:00:52 PM »
When did this thread turn into a coffee klatch?

Random thought: With all the protein powder Kade consumes, he must fart near continuously.

Probably sounds like I eat more than I do but my stomach is kinda used to it all by now.........but yes......sometimes I can almost knock myself put with the smell haha.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: August 27, 2023, 08:01:30 PM »

What kind of stupid fucking name is this?

Offline Adami

« Reply #1354 on: August 27, 2023, 08:47:31 PM »

A satirical one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1355 on: August 28, 2023, 01:39:21 PM »

Fucking awful. What does that even translate in normal english? I remember hand writing full words and sentences, now people are too lazy to even text them. I get the occasional abbreviation but stop already. De-evoltion in full effect. Is it "girls forever" but plus 1?

Offline Adami

« Reply #1356 on: August 28, 2023, 02:30:14 PM »

Fucking awful. What does that even translate in normal english? I remember hand writing full words and sentences, now people are too lazy to even text them. I get the occasional abbreviation but stop already. De-evoltion in full effect. Is it "girls forever" but plus 1?

Again, it’s satirical. It’s a satire of pop girl bands from the early 2000s and late 90s.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1357 on: August 28, 2023, 02:46:54 PM »

Again, it’s satirical. It’s a satire of pop girl bands from the early 2000s and late 90s.

But what does it mean?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: August 28, 2023, 05:09:12 PM »
I mean, I get what Girls4eva means and where that kind of stupid lingo came from, but satire or not, I don't understand what changing the 4 to a 5 is supposed to achieve.  I'm guessing there's 5 girls in the show as the main characters?

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1359 on: August 30, 2023, 11:49:02 AM »
The world sucks! I should move to Greenland where there are very few people and they don't suck.

man, i feel you. world's crazy sometimes, right? thinking about greenland, that's a wild idea. like, i've seen pics and it looks like a whole other planet up there. but you know, every place has its ups and downs. less people sounds cool, i guess, less drama and all. but life's not just about the headcount, you know? like, you might end up missing all the random interactions, the noise of a crowded street, even the annoying stuff. and the cold in greenland? dude, that's a whole different level. i mean, i complain about winter here, can't even imagine what it's like there. but hey, if isolation's your thing, go for it. internet's a thing there too, i guess. but seriously, running from problems might not be the best move. grass ain't always greener, even in greenland, haha.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #1360 on: August 30, 2023, 01:03:31 PM »
just had a random thought while taking a shower. you know how they say "the early bird catches the worm"? well, it occurred to me that maybe it's not just about waking up early to be productive. maybe it's also about being proactive - like going after what you want before others do.

kind of like life's a competition, and if you're not on top of things, you might miss out. doesn't mean you can't catch some worms later, but maybe there's something about seizing opportunities early that sets you up for success. :tup
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: August 30, 2023, 01:28:05 PM »
just had a random thought while taking a shower. you know how they say "the early bird catches the worm"? well, it occurred to me that maybe it's not just about waking up early to be productive. maybe it's also about being proactive - like going after what you want before others do.

kind of like life's a competition, and if you're not on top of things, you might miss out. doesn't mean you can't catch some worms later, but maybe there's something about seizing opportunities early that sets you up for success. :tup

I have ten acres, set back from the road.  My driveway is about 800 feet before it opens up into my yard.  Technically speaking, there is a second driveway right next to mine that follows the 800 feet then curves to the right and leads to 10 acres behind mine.  The second 10 has been owned by a couple a couple towns over for at least 30 years.  They're clearly not doing anything with it. 

I talked with my wife this spring about seeing if they'd sell.  I could do nothing with it - but rest easy that no one would build next to me - or I could lend part of it to my step son and let him build something in the back.  In June, when we sold my parent's condo I said "I'm going to call them" but procrastinated.   I got around to calling about a week ago, and asked my wife for their names (she's awesome at searching that stuff).  Sunovabitch, but they sold the property on July 3rd to my neighbor two houses down.   

I'd say there's something to your analysis.   

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: August 30, 2023, 01:49:37 PM »
I always figured the moral was more in the nature of a warning for the worm...

:dunno:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #1363 on: August 30, 2023, 01:52:23 PM »

I have ten acres, set back from the road.  My driveway is about 800 feet before it opens up into my yard.  Technically speaking, there is a second driveway right next to mine that follows the 800 feet then curves to the right and leads to 10 acres behind mine.  The second 10 has been owned by a couple a couple towns over for at least 30 years.  They're clearly not doing anything with it. 

I talked with my wife this spring about seeing if they'd sell.  I could do nothing with it - but rest easy that no one would build next to me - or I could lend part of it to my step son and let him build something in the back.  In June, when we sold my parent's condo I said "I'm going to call them" but procrastinated.   I got around to calling about a week ago, and asked my wife for their names (she's awesome at searching that stuff).  Sunovabitch, but they sold the property on July 3rd to my neighbor two houses down.   

I'd say there's something to your analysis.

sometimes those windows of opportunity can be surprisingly short, huh? sorry to hear you missed out on that property, but your experience definitely adds weight to the idea that being proactive can play a role in how things pan out. on a brighter note, who knows what other opportunities might come your way? it's all part of the adventure of life, i suppose, and you move forward equipped with what you've learned from the mistakes and missed opportunities of the past. 🙏

I always figured the moral was more in the nature of a warning for the worm...

:dunno:

sometimes a worm is just a worm, and worms never stand a chance! so secondary (tertiary?) moral: don't be a worm! :hat
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1364 on: August 30, 2023, 02:06:45 PM »
sometimes a worm is just a worm,

life can get pretty complicated sometimes, and we tend to overthink things, right? like, we're always looking for deeper meanings or hidden messages in stuff, even when they might not be there. but you're right, sometimes a worm is just a worm. it's like we're wired to analyze everything and find connections that might not even exist. simplicity is underrated, i think. just accepting things for what they are without trying to read too much into them can actually be pretty liberating. so yeah, i'm with you on this one.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!