Author Topic: The random thoughts thread.  (Read 116477 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The random thoughts thread.
« Reply #1295 on: March 13, 2023, 06:43:20 PM »
Kade, the fact that you are pouring out your soul means you truly care. If you feel its time to move on for any reason then you go for it! The fact that it scares you means you're a responsible person and that tells me you wouldn't hesitate to further yourself and take that leap of faith into uncertainty. I admire that.  :heart

Thanks Tom for the kind words.  I guess if I didn't care, it wouldn't be such a tough situation and wouldn't be so hard to move on.  It's hard watching your drive and passion deteriorate however and not knowing what to do to fix it.  That's just the sign telling me things may be coming to an end for me here.  It's hard as it hasn't just been my job, it's been my lifestyle and I've run things like it were my own business.  A massive focus shift it would be.  It's hard to put across the gravity of the situation in my mind with who engulfed an am.  I'm 38 and I've been at these pools since I was like 20 years old.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1296 on: March 13, 2023, 06:47:14 PM »
Tom, I hope today is a better day for you mate also.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1297 on: March 13, 2023, 06:53:25 PM »

Its a new day so I leave the pain behind and deal with things as they come but I took a "mental break" today so all is good my friend.  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: March 13, 2023, 07:15:37 PM »

Its a new day so I leave the pain behind and deal with things as they come but I took a "mental break" today so all is good my friend.  :)

Excellent to hear mate.  :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1299 on: March 13, 2023, 08:42:04 PM »
However, I'm so fucking comfortable and scared of taking that leap of faith and walking away and looking for something else.  I'm miserable and get no value or purpose out of what I do anymore and I'm just wasting my time.  I don't want to do that anymore, but I'm frightened as fuck to let go and have to start over.  I'm so established and I'd rather put myself through torment than face the unknown of something new.

As hard as it would be, change has to come at some point.  But the thought of doing that scares me, and I'm frightened I'll never take those steps to do what I have to do. 

I tried to carve out the parts of your post I could relate to. I slogged through minimum wage/low paying, menial jobs through most of my adult life. And for as much as I hated them, I was so scared to try and do something else. Fear was such an overriding factor of my 20s, it dictated so much of my actions and behaviors.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: March 13, 2023, 09:08:12 PM »
However, I'm so fucking comfortable and scared of taking that leap of faith and walking away and looking for something else.  I'm miserable and get no value or purpose out of what I do anymore and I'm just wasting my time.  I don't want to do that anymore, but I'm frightened as fuck to let go and have to start over.  I'm so established and I'd rather put myself through torment than face the unknown of something new.

As hard as it would be, change has to come at some point.  But the thought of doing that scares me, and I'm frightened I'll never take those steps to do what I have to do. 

I tried to carve out the parts of your post I could relate to. I slogged through minimum wage/low paying, menial jobs through most of my adult life. And for as much as I hated them, I was so scared to try and do something else. Fear was such an overriding factor of my 20s, it dictated so much of my actions and behaviors.

Were you able to ever break free of that fear Chris?

I certainly know that what I'm explaining would be pretty common I would think.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: March 13, 2023, 10:00:59 PM »
I imagine it is more common than you think. My wife loves her job; it has been the only thing she's ever wanted to do since she was a kid. And now, as the job gets harder and she gets older, and for the first time in her life questions whether she wants to do this for the next 20 years, she is faced with the reality that this is the only professional job she has ever had. And if she left this, what on earth could she possibly do, at 47 with 2 kids to support?

While fear was a predominant emotion for me, it was not the most debilitating. It was more a symptom of my anxiety and depression, which I was ultimately able to get a handle on. I wish I could explain how I was able to do so. Part of it was meeting my wife, but I was already getting myself back on track before we met. She just helped keep the ship on course.

Fortunately for us and our joint incomes, I did not feel as tied down to my job as I had when I was single, even if I was still afraid of trying something else. Eventually we had kids, and that was able to give me a level of happiness I had never had before, and a greater reason to work, as it wasn't just me I had to ensure had a roof over their head and food to eat. A few years ago I was able to do something new, which I might not have been able to when I was single. It ultimately failed and the company dissolved, but we were able to weather the storm with my wife's income keeping us afloat until I got a new job.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: March 14, 2023, 05:24:15 AM »
I thought this was the thread where we wondered about farts and lumps?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1303 on: March 14, 2023, 08:31:26 AM »
I imagine it is more common than you think. My wife loves her job; it has been the only thing she's ever wanted to do since she was a kid. And now, as the job gets harder and she gets older, and for the first time in her life questions whether she wants to do this for the next 20 years, she is faced with the reality that this is the only professional job she has ever had. And if she left this, what on earth could she possibly do, at 47 with 2 kids to support?

While fear was a predominant emotion for me, it was not the most debilitating. It was more a symptom of my anxiety and depression, which I was ultimately able to get a handle on. I wish I could explain how I was able to do so. Part of it was meeting my wife, but I was already getting myself back on track before we met. She just helped keep the ship on course.

Fortunately for us and our joint incomes, I did not feel as tied down to my job as I had when I was single, even if I was still afraid of trying something else. Eventually we had kids, and that was able to give me a level of happiness I had never had before, and a greater reason to work, as it wasn't just me I had to ensure had a roof over their head and food to eat. A few years ago I was able to do something new, which I might not have been able to when I was single. It ultimately failed and the company dissolved, but we were able to weather the storm with my wife's income keeping us afloat until I got a new job.

But what is anxiety after all, but a fear of losing something or someone?  Including "control"?

I don't do absolutes much, but I'm ready to go out on a limb and say the vast majority of human endeavors are driven in some form or fashion by fear.  Fear of being alone, fear of failing, fear of losing one's "good gig", fear of losing one's understanding of the world, fear of losing our goals or relationships through uncertainty or inadequacy. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: March 14, 2023, 08:31:43 AM »

I have a fear of farting in lumps.  :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: March 14, 2023, 02:39:10 PM »

I have a fear of farting in lumps.  :)

Don't be afraid...be cautious.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: March 14, 2023, 04:24:45 PM »

Thanks for the detail Chris.  The bolded part sums me up at the moment.  Sounds like you two have a great partnership and relationship too, very supportive of each other.

I have the ability to try something new also and if it doesn't work out, it will be okay, it's not like there's a financial stress or anything attached to my issues, it's just all me.  I appreciate the response and comforting to know how common it is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: March 14, 2023, 04:26:40 PM »

But what is anxiety after all, but a fear of losing something or someone?  Including "control"?

I don't do absolutes much, but I'm ready to go out on a limb and say the vast majority of human endeavors are driven in some form or fashion by fear.  Fear of being alone, fear of failing, fear of losing one's "good gig", fear of losing one's understanding of the world, fear of losing our goals or relationships through uncertainty or inadequacy.

That's very true Bill.  For me, while it may be fear, it's the unknown.  The fear of uncertainty and especially change.  I'm such a creature of habit.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1308 on: April 03, 2023, 03:12:48 PM »
You can buy Bear meat in vending machines in Japan now. I've been wondering how to get my Bear meat fix, problem solved.  :lol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-65160098.amp

Online pg1067

« Reply #1309 on: April 03, 2023, 04:21:44 PM »
I'm not sure I want to buy any sort of meat from a vending machine.

Also this:  "Japanese vending machines, which offer whale meat, snails-in-a-can or edible insects...."  Ewww....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: April 03, 2023, 05:23:43 PM »
You can buy Bear meat in vending machines in Japan now. I've been wondering how to get my Bear meat fix, problem solved.  :lol

Anyone know if JP made it out of Japan alive?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1311 on: April 03, 2023, 05:42:18 PM »

Maybe if Australia had bear meat in its vending machines, DT might actually tour there.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1312 on: April 03, 2023, 05:59:21 PM »
Really down about the fact Tinto's Kitchen, this great Mexican restaurant in Minneapolis, that had a new Kitchen/Kiosk inside the Lunds Grocery store in St.Paul just vanished a few days ago for no apparent explanation.

My wife and I were becoming addicted to buying their Tortilla Chips, Guacamole and Red Chili (Salsa). They worked so well making Nachos at home.

And I can't figure out why they are gone. Booted? Not making enough $?..sucks.

(◔_◔) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: April 03, 2023, 06:34:38 PM »

Maybe if Australia had bear meat in its vending machines, DT might actually tour there.  ;D

We only have drop bears, and we can't catch them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1314 on: April 04, 2023, 01:59:35 PM »
How is it that you can drop an ant from 100x its height and it just lands and walks away?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1315 on: May 19, 2023, 06:55:03 AM »
Who knew tears could feel so warm

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1316 on: May 19, 2023, 06:56:11 AM »
How is it that you can drop an ant from 100x its height and it just lands and walks away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPx7E27Bc8

Hope that clears it up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1317 on: May 19, 2023, 09:12:00 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPx7E27Bc8

Hope that clears it up.

I’m at work so I’ll watch it later. I did watch a video trying to explain it to me and I still didn’t get it.

Online Adami

« Reply #1318 on: May 19, 2023, 09:43:35 AM »
My video will clear everything up.

Like everything. In the world.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1319 on: May 19, 2023, 12:54:07 PM »
Now that was disappointing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1320 on: May 19, 2023, 01:19:37 PM »
Why? It explained everything!

To your main question, in short it's because their mass is so small, that when they fall they do not build enough energy/force to dissipate anywhere. Humans, or other heavier animals, build a lot more energy when falling.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1321 on: May 19, 2023, 01:21:45 PM »
Why? It explained everything!

To your main question, in short it's because their mass is so small, that when they fall they do not build enough energy/force to dissipate anywhere. Humans, or other heavier animals, build a lot more energy when falling.

I understand what you're saying, but it's still mind boggling.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1322 on: July 17, 2023, 02:16:53 PM »
Maybe the people ingesting Borax should be left alone to their own devices.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1323 on: July 17, 2023, 08:57:03 PM »
Maybe the people ingesting Borax should be left alone to their own devices.

Truth. Sadly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: August 23, 2023, 04:13:45 AM »
I just had a couple of pop tarts for the first time.  They're not really a staple over here but got a couple of boxes half price at the supermarket as I've always been intrigued, plus I'm trying to get some extra easy carbs.

What the fuck are these marketed as over there, am I right in thinking they are a breakfast food?  Are these eaten by children?  I quite liked them as I have a sweet tooth but they are the most sugar laden pieces of non nutritious crap I think I've ever eaten, and I've eaten some junk.

What is the fucking point of these?  I'm confused where in the average diet these could possibly fall into, holy hell!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1325 on: August 23, 2023, 05:49:13 AM »
Pop Tarts are amazing!!!

I can't believe you've never had them before? What flavor did you have?

I love the frosted strawberry toasted with tons of butter on the unfrosted side.
I really can't eat them, and don't really remember the last time I had one.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1326 on: August 23, 2023, 05:55:46 AM »
I just had a couple of pop tarts for the first time.  They're not really a staple over here but got a couple of boxes half price at the supermarket as I've always been intrigued, plus I'm trying to get some extra easy carbs.

What the fuck are these marketed as over there, am I right in thinking they are a breakfast food?  Are these eaten by children?  I quite liked them as I have a sweet tooth but they are the most sugar laden pieces of non nutritious crap I think I've ever eaten, and I've eaten some junk.

What is the fucking point of these?  I'm confused where in the average diet these could possibly fall into, holy hell!

Yeah, man. That's, like, the average American breakfast in a nutshell. ;D

I grew up pretty poor, and many a morning for many years, a single pop-tart was my breakfast. Absolutely not a nutritious breakfast, but I get it–my parents were trying to make their dollar stretch as far as it could.

Worst part of pop-tarts for breakfast? The 9 a.m. sugar crash that was sure to follow!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: August 23, 2023, 06:37:56 AM »
Pop Tarts are amazing!!!

I can't believe you've never had them before? What flavor did you have?

I love the frosted strawberry toasted with tons of butter on the unfrosted side.
I really can't eat them, and don't really remember the last time I had one.

Never did the butter thing, but loved pop tarts.  Frosted Strawberry and the chocolate with the vanilla flavored filling were the two winners.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1328 on: August 23, 2023, 06:42:21 AM »
I loved the cinnamon/brown sugar one.  I haven't had one in over a decade.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #1329 on: August 23, 2023, 06:42:53 AM »

Pop-Tarts are generally marketed to children for breakfast, but plenty of adults eat them.

As for your last question/sentence, you just described 90% of American based food.
fanticide.bandcamp.com