Author Topic: The random thoughts thread.  (Read 116855 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: The random thoughts thread.
« Reply #1260 on: January 13, 2022, 05:42:34 PM »
Does anyone else on DTF have 'photic sneeze reflex'? Me, my youngest son, Father and one of my brothers have it. Anytime I look at or am exposed to a bright light....it'll trigger a couple sneezes. It's most prominent when walking outside from inside and getting hit with the bright sunlight....but it also happens with just bright lights in general. It's really strange. Reading up on this condition it does say it's mostly hereditary and that it affects like 20% of the population.

If I ever have a sneeze that is "stuck", I'll look at the light or sun and it helps. Dunno if thats just from putting my head up or if related to this reflex.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1261 on: January 13, 2022, 06:51:38 PM »
Does anyone else on DTF have 'photic sneeze reflex'? Me, my youngest son, Father and one of my brothers have it. Anytime I look at or am exposed to a bright light....it'll trigger a couple sneezes. It's most prominent when walking outside from inside and getting hit with the bright sunlight....but it also happens with just bright lights in general. It's really strange. Reading up on this condition it does say it's mostly hereditary and that it affects like 20% of the population.

Not me, I just hiss at sunlight in the morning :biggrin:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1262 on: January 13, 2022, 08:25:16 PM »
Yes, 100%.

If I am struggling to sneeze, I lean my head back and look at a light and it happens.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1263 on: January 14, 2022, 08:02:38 AM »

I've experienced that, but mostly it's going out into the sun, not light of any kind.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: February 16, 2022, 08:50:27 AM »
It's all fun and games until you gag on a highlighter. Wisdom from my six-month-old granddaughter
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1265 on: December 22, 2022, 10:13:31 PM »
Oh fuck... another thread I'm bumping tonight.  At least I can spell-check myself here  :lol  And it's nice to be bumping something.

Well, FML... fuck it hard.  That's all.  That may or may not be the scotch talking.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: December 23, 2022, 02:53:07 AM »
Shit dude, you alright?  Hopefully just the scotch....
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: December 23, 2022, 12:02:09 PM »
Oh fuck... another thread I'm bumping tonight.  At least I can spell-check myself here  :lol  And it's nice to be bumping something.

Well, FML... fuck it hard.  That's all.  That may or may not be the scotch talking.

Hang in there, brother.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1268 on: February 03, 2023, 11:39:53 PM »
1) What's the deal with video games these days? I hear my 2 younger boys get completely irate like they're being tortured while playing games. I say to my wife, "aren't video games supposed to be fun?". In the past they've broken remotes and headsets over games they were so excited to get. I just don't understand. Is anything stress free anymore?

2) My two older boys over the last year started sports betting. Fanduel, DraftKings.... They're 21 and 24 and they work but it kills me.   ???

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: February 04, 2023, 06:46:30 AM »
Chad, if that's what Scotch makes you say, perhaps it's time to stop drinking Scotch.

Glasser, pick up a controller and game with the boys, you'll see. Overcoming the frustration and difficulty is one of the joys of gaming...well any endeavor that requires precision and/or speed. Like golf. Or axe throwing.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: February 04, 2023, 08:44:51 AM »
1) What's the deal with video games these days? I hear my 2 younger boys get completely irate like they're being tortured while playing games. I say to my wife, "aren't video games supposed to be fun?". In the past they've broken remotes and headsets over games they were so excited to get. I just don't understand. Is anything stress free anymore?

Did you never play the NES? Castlevania? Ghosts and Goblins?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1271 on: February 04, 2023, 11:38:39 AM »

2) My two older boys over the last year started sports betting. Fanduel, DraftKings.... They're 21 and 24 and they work but it kills me.   ???

This would make me incredibly nervous.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1272 on: February 04, 2023, 01:32:21 PM »

This would make me incredibly nervous.

I am. I have talks with them on how it ruins lives.   :'(

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1273 on: February 04, 2023, 02:07:59 PM »
the price of an egg now at Target is over .50 cents. I was paying less for a Diabetic Test Strip, lol (before my insurance began covering it again last month).

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1274 on: February 04, 2023, 03:22:46 PM »
the price of an egg now at Target is over .50 cents. I was paying less for a Diabetic Test Strip, lol (before my insurance began covering it again last month).

I refuse to buy eggs anymore. It’s literally insane. I remember as a kid buying like 10 dozen to egg shit on Halloween (little juvenile I was, lol). A dozen eggs were less than a dollar then.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1275 on: February 06, 2023, 09:33:40 PM »
Fun "Fogey" movie trivia. I'm watching an early 80's movie I haven't seen in a long time. Its hilarious. There's a character in this movie that curses the entire movie BUT never actually curses. Can you name the movie and character???

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: February 07, 2023, 06:29:38 AM »
Fun "Fogey" movie trivia. I'm watching an early 80's movie I haven't seen in a long time. Its hilarious. There's a character in this movie that curses the entire movie BUT never actually curses. Can you name the movie and character???

Johnny Dangerously.   I can't remember the name of the character, but he was a farging icehole.  :) :) :)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1277 on: February 07, 2023, 02:44:13 PM »

Johnny Dangerously.   I can't remember the name of the character, but he was a farging icehole.  :) :) :)

Bingo!!!!! Maroni.   :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1278 on: February 07, 2023, 05:08:00 PM »
"I am going to cut off your bells and shove 'em up you icehole!!"

Love Johnny Dangerously.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1279 on: February 07, 2023, 05:37:35 PM »

Your kids sound like my son (20).  He's been screaming at his games for several years.  We actually put up acoustic squares on his bedroom wall.  I can't tell you how many controllers he's been through, and he destroyed a desktop.  He actually bought a really expensive computer desk, and part of the reasoning was that he couldn't possibly damage it.  I saw that he downloaded one of the betting apps.  I don't know that he's really made any bets, but I doubt it's a coincidence that this was the first season he really started following football.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1280 on: February 07, 2023, 06:58:27 PM »
"I am going to cut off your bells and shove 'em up you icehole!!"

Love Johnny Dangerously.

Total classic for sure!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1281 on: February 07, 2023, 07:02:34 PM »

Your kids sound like my son (20).  He's been screaming at his games for several years.  We actually put up acoustic squares on his bedroom wall.  I can't tell you how many controllers he's been through, and he destroyed a desktop.  He actually bought a really expensive computer desk, and part of the reasoning was that he couldn't possibly damage it.  I saw that he downloaded one of the betting apps.  I don't know that he's really made any bets, but I doubt it's a coincidence that this was the first season he really started following football.

I'm handcuffed on this and they make it too easy. These apps give them " free money" to bet with. I tell them nothing Is free and the "house" always wins. It sucks!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: February 10, 2023, 05:20:52 AM »
No one told me that when one gets over the hill, it's fuckin' steep on the other side.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1283 on: February 13, 2023, 05:31:05 PM »
Do Bearded Clams still exist? (Most likely a fogey random thought)  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1284 on: February 14, 2023, 08:59:14 AM »
I love Root beer floats, and I just had one  :biggrin:

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1285 on: March 12, 2023, 09:14:58 PM »
I'm scared and waiting to die. I'm 53 in May, still grieving both of my parents and the fact that my only sibling and I don't speak since losing my father AND, here it comes....... People that are anti vax are telling me I'm going to die because I'm vaxxed. I didn't want the vaccine but I was also afraid of Covid. I'm very vulnerable and trust no one. Its sad and very unsettling.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: March 12, 2023, 09:20:36 PM »
I'm scared and waiting to die. I'm 53 in May, still grieving both of my parents and the fact that my only sibling and I don't speak since losing my father AND, here it comes....... People that are anti vax are telling me I'm going to die because I'm vaxxed. I didn't want the vaccine but I was also afraid of Covid. I'm very vulnerable and trust no one. Its sad and very unsettling.

Tom, what are you scared of exactly?

How many people have told you that you are going to die because you are vaxxed?  I've never heard that.  I'm not vaxxed at all and would never have that opinion, that's just crazy. 

Anti vaxxers are a strange breed.  I'm not vaxxed but I'm not anti, don't listen to the negativity of these people.

We are all going to die, but death I believe is nothing to be afraid of.

Much love brother.  Hang in there.  :heart

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1287 on: March 12, 2023, 09:59:22 PM »

How many people have told you that you are going to die because you are vaxxed?  I've never heard that.  I'm not vaxxed at all and would never have that opinion, that's just crazy. 

Anti vaxxers are a strange breed.  I'm not vaxxed but I'm not anti, don't listen to the negativity of these people.

I suffer severe anxiety and PTSD. You want truth? I'm scared to admit that I don't want to be here anymore. That doesn't mean I would take my own life, I would never. But the feeling is unbearable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 10:23:06 PM by Glasser »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: March 12, 2023, 10:35:34 PM »

I suffer severe anxiety and PTSD. You want truth? I'm scared to admit that I don't want to be here anymore. That doesn't mean I would take my own life, I would never. But the feeling is unbearable.

Mate, Im gonna be perfectly honest with you.  Over the course of the last year, I've had a lot of those days.  Same thing, I would never do anything silly, but some days are hard and life seems meaningless.

I'm not sure what your PTSD is from and I'm not one to talk but have you ever had professional help?  I've steered clear of that but doesn't mean I never will.

Those days, I just tell myself that they will pass.  We all go through times times but they don't last forever.  When they mount up its tricky but know you have a family that loves you and needs you mate.  You are here for them, they love you and need you.  You have a purpose.  It's sad about your parents but we will all go through that at some point.  That's life, unfortunately.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: March 12, 2023, 10:45:45 PM »
Also, admitting and accepting you feel that way sometimes makes things easier to cope with, for me anyway.  Being scared about your emotions is just wasted time and energy IMO.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1290 on: March 13, 2023, 12:09:21 PM »
Also, admitting and accepting you feel that way sometimes makes things easier to cope with, for me anyway.  Being scared about your emotions is just wasted time and energy IMO.

Thanks Kade, yes I have been in therapy for over 15 years and it makes a difference but when you have children that suffer hard its unbearable. One of my boys almost died from open heart surgery and has never been the same since. My PTSD is from being abused, I'll just say that. I live in the moment and stay positive but some things are too intense.  :heart

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: March 13, 2023, 01:39:06 PM »

Mate, Im gonna be perfectly honest with you.  Over the course of the last year, I've had a lot of those days.  Same thing, I would never do anything silly, but some days are hard and life seems meaningless.

I'm not sure what your PTSD is from and I'm not one to talk but have you ever had professional help?  I've steered clear of that but doesn't mean I never will.

Those days, I just tell myself that they will pass.  We all go through times times but they don't last forever.  When they mount up its tricky but know you have a family that loves you and needs you mate.  You are here for them, they love you and need you.  You have a purpose.  It's sad about your parents but we will all go through that at some point.  That's life, unfortunately.

I hope this is taken by both of you with the love and support with which it is intended.  If neither of you ever speak to a professional, it's your choice and I wish you the best.   BUT... (re)starting therapy in 2013 was top three greatest things I've ever done.  I talk to her weekly, and to be honest, I don't NEED it every week, but in the last year, I have needed it most weeks and she's given me a perspective, and a balance that was always struggling to get on my own. 

Despair is common; it's also something that we don't necessarily have to live with.   I knew losing my mom and dad would be rough, but I didn't know HOW rough.  We can all use a hand or an ear at times, and if you have a good therapist, these are PROFESSIONALS who have a tool box that we as individuals don't always have.

And - and bear with me for a second, this is going to sound more arrogant than I mean it - look, I was a guy that put in the work. I would contemplate, and I would self-assess.  I THOUGHT I knew myself. I THOUGHT I knew where my weaknesses and strengths were, and let me tell you, I don't have that belief anymore. I DO believe I'm getting a better read of what they are, but I don't think I'll ever delude myself again to thinking I have all the answers.  We change as people over time, based on our experiences, our environment, the people around us, and we don't always see the changes (you know how when you go get your brakes done, or you get a haircut, and you don't realize how bad your brakes/hair was until you notice the difference?  Yeah.)

Talk to someone.  If you do it right, it's free, and if not, well, you're investing in your own wellbeing.   You both deserve it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: March 13, 2023, 04:06:55 PM »
I'm sorry about your boy Tom and the open heart surgery, and I wouldn't know what its like to be abused.  I think you seem to have the right mindset about living in the moment and good to hear you are getting help.

Bill, thank you for those words too.  I know you've mentioned before about professional help and been a big advocate of it and how much your therapist has helped you.

(you know how when you go get your brakes done, or you get a haircut, and you don't realize how bad your brakes/hair was until you notice the difference?  Yeah

This is a really good analogy actually.  I'm going to ponder this.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: March 13, 2023, 04:26:27 PM »
Another random thought that I struggle with and since we are getting real, I'll put it out there.  Could go in the work thread but it doesn't really matter to be fair.

Tom's post yesterday was ironic as I was having a down day myself.  I look at myself and seriously don't understand why I can't man up.  I'm talking about my job.  My job has been my life and basically what I do for 15 years.  It's been pretty ordinary for a while and the last 6 months especially have been very challenging.  I'm so over it it's not funny.  I'm stale, unmotivated and just couldn't give two fucks anymore and a job and places I put so much work and so much love into, I just hate it all now. Everything over the last year probably doesn't help but I know my time is up.

However, I'm so fucking comfortable and scared of taking that leap of faith and walking away and looking for something else.  I'm miserable and get no value or purpose out of what I do anymore and I'm just wasting my time.  I don't want to do that anymore, but I'm frightened as fuck to let go and have to start over.  I'm so established and I'd rather put myself through torment than face the unknown of something new.  Plus, it's all I know, so not working, I'd be lost, I know that.

I'm not sure what it is, but yesterday after a new two week roster comes out and again, people come back saying they can't do certain shifts, I'd just had enough.  I need to do something.  After a brutal season (which still has a few weeks to go) I will take a week or two off and re-evaluate.  After years and years, I think I've actually hit burnout.  I hate to admit it, but I think it's true.  Over the last six months, I've had probably 15 days off in that time, and half the time those days still have interruptions from work.  I literally tell myself I'm a machine and keep going.  Again, this week I'm doing 7 days as staff just go away at the drop of a hat.  All casual too, nothing I can do.  No one gives a fuck, so why have I given a fuck about my staff for so many years?  They know what I do for them and are a great team for the most part, but I'm sick of doing everything for others and hurting myself.  I'm the one getting taken advantage of, and for what?

Plus with management and their complete lack of care, value and respect for me, not to mention the target I have on my back, I'm seriously thinking of dropping all my holidays and long service at the start of next summer as a big 'fuck you' and leave them in the shit.  Spend a year off and look for something new.  As hard as it would be, change has to come at some point.  But the thought of doing that scares me, and I'm frightened I'll never take those steps to do what I have to do.  I'm still on this earth for something, but it's not to waste my days going through torment and going through the motions.

Sorry for the rant.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1294 on: March 13, 2023, 06:37:43 PM »
Stadler, Excellent advice and you are 100% right. I do see someone and he gives me great coping strategies but more importantly he sees what I cannot see about myself and my situation. I'm very open minded which is critical to get the most from therapy. Thank you  :heart

Kade, the fact that you are pouring out your soul means you truly care. If you feel its time to move on for any reason then you go for it! The fact that it scares you means you're a responsible person and that tells me you wouldn't hesitate to further yourself and take that leap of faith into uncertainty. I admire that.  :heart