Author Topic: The Amazing Race thread  (Read 15613 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Amazing Race thread
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »
Kinda what I'm thinking.  Did you see when they were trying to get back on the boat, as his wife was trying to climb in, he basically grabbed her by the ass and pulled her up into the boat?  I was chuckling about it, because it came off looking really kinda odd.

that was hilarious.  It looked like he was pulling a large tuna into the boat!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »
Even funnier was the fact that it didn't look like she was doing much to help herself.  She just slide face down onto the deck.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2013, 10:15:07 PM »
I really didn't expect the father/son team to keep going with crutches, so I admire them for giving it a shot.
Sure, they skipped a challenge (and it was a smart move to offload the express pass to a team you know isn't going much further), and the dad didn't have to do the individual challenge, but the fact they kept marching on without any complaints was great to watch.

I didn't expect a continued leg this early in the race, as they usually pull those out later in the game, so we'll see how they do next round.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2013, 10:27:51 AM »
My wife's cousin won the amazing race one season. 
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2013, 10:36:25 AM »
Yeah?  Who was it?  That's pretty cool.

Also, yeah, I was surprised at the father/son.  Really good guys and everyone seems to really like them.  I don't know how much longer they can keep this up.  They're going to have to drop out at some point, if they don't come in last.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »

Also, yeah, I was surprised at the father/son.  Really good guys and everyone seems to really like them.  I don't know how much longer they can keep this up.  They're going to have to drop out at some point, if they don't come in last.

Tyler Denk.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »
That was (I think) the first season I watched TAR, so it's tough to remember.  Looking at the cast, they're all vaguely familiar.  I'm sure he had some amazing (pardon the pun) stories.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2013, 10:56:33 AM »

Considering they're currently first, they may last another episode. It really comes down to the challenges.

They got lucky in this episode to have the express pass, because fishing is the kind of challenge that could potentially have taken forever. And they came to a situation where they simply couldn't do a challenge because of the ankle disability. What about if they come to one where both challenges are ruled out? Could they have done the swimming challenges like that? What about the skydiving one? Who knows what else is in store.
And there's only so long the son can do the individual challenges. At some point, the father has to make up even numbers there. Is his ankle going to heal while racing flat out every day? Unlikely. He's going to have to pull out for his own safety at some point.

I'd be surprised if they don't come to a challenge soon that the show simply can't and won't let them do. But I hope they can hold on longer, because it's by far the most interesting thing to happen this season, and it's a hell of an obstacle to overcome. That's something I wanna see.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »
It's one of the most interesting things to happen in many seasons, honestly.  You don't want to see the guy hurt himself further, but at the same time, I cannot help but cheer the guy on.  The way he was skipping around on those crutches like that says the guy must have some serious upper body strength.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
It's one of the most interesting things to happen in many seasons, honestly.  You don't want to see the guy hurt himself further, but at the same time, I cannot help but cheer the guy on.  The way he was skipping around on those crutches like that says the guy must have some serious upper body strength.

The guy was flying on those crutches like a boss. He didn't complain, he just kept going with the belief he could do it. If they'd come in first place without the express pass, then I would have been really impressed. I think this is the most interesting aspect of every week they manage to survive. It's just a matter of luck with the challenges. I don't think his ankle will heal too well during the race, so they'd have to fight through every challenge just as hard until the very end.

I basically assumed they were gone this week. I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. I still feel exactly the same about next episode, and I hope to be pleasantly surprised yet again.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2013, 06:00:52 AM »
And they survive another week with another first place. That express pass really put them in a good position to hold on. By the looks of the preview, I don't get the feeling they're leaving next week either.

And WOOOOOOOOOOO generic team B is out! What a bunch of losers, coming in last with an express pass still in hand. :lol So glad I'll never have to see that idiot's spiked hair again. It was offensive.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2013, 06:35:40 AM »
Yeah, just unreal that they've come in first AGAIN.  And bye-bye generic couple B.  I had nothing against them, except that 1) they were slightly douchey abot who to give the second express pass to, despite the deal they'd made, they were kinda waffling about giving it to Dave and Connor and 2) John's inability to just put his pride aside and use the damned thing.  She was PISSED.  You could tell she was trying to put on a nice face, but was seriously pissed off inside and he was all "Well, no big deal, we tried, it was out of our hands."  Um, no dipshit, it was totally in your hands.  You could still be in the race if you'd have used the express pass.  But whatever, I like Chuck and Wynona.  I had to chuckle when he crawled through the opening and ran along the beach, completely clueless as to where he was going.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2013, 06:38:29 AM »
I'm glad to see Chuck stay too. His epic mullet deserves to be seen.

But yeah, I have no sympathy for the couple coming last. To leave the game with the express pass and then be like "oh well, I don't need a million dollars" is such a loser attitude. Even the host looked stunned by their loss under those circumstances. Entirely their own fault.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2013, 06:45:06 AM »
It's like getting voted out with an immunity idol in your pocket.  Completely unnecessary, though in with Survivor, you never know for sure if you need to use it or not.  Here, they knew that after switching tasks that they were well behind the others and should've used the EP to go ahead.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2013, 06:49:28 AM »
This is definitely much worse than leaving Survivor with an immunity idol, which was an obvious first thought for me too. In Survivor you can get blind-sided and get voted out without knowing. In The Amazing Race, you are seeing your opponents overtake you, and there comes a point where you realize that you're most likely last.

It was just pride, plain and simple. The dude didn't want to "waste" it on such a theoretically easy and quick challenge, then didn't have the humility to just cut his losses and stay in the game. There was no achievement in losing when you literally have the option.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2013, 06:51:11 AM »
She wanted to knock that nonchalant "Oh well" look right off his face.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »
I admire her composure, because I bet she was pissed. I expected her to interrupt him mid speech and give him hell.

It was extra hilarious considering he made the point earlier in the episode about how detail oriented he was to the point of being anal, more so than her, and yet it took him over an hour to pick out the right board with something they'd seen.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2013, 06:56:02 AM »
I know, but honestly, I'm not sure if I'd have figured out what to look for either, though I'd like to think it would have stood out to me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2013, 06:59:56 AM »
I assure you I would not have gotten it any quicker than him. I suck at that kind of memory thing.

But I also assure you that at some point in that hour, I would have definitely realized "fuck it, I'm no good at this and I don't want to lose" and would have used the express pass sitting in my pocket. :lol

I won't blame the guy for being bad at a particular challenge when I couldn't have done any better, but his attitude throughout the whole thing made him a fool.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2013, 08:39:15 AM »
ha, the most boneheaded move I've seen on this show yet.  They had to know they were near the back of the pack when the decided to switch tasks.  That is when you use the express pass!  It is for that exact situation!!
Winger would be better!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »
Exactly.  No explanation for it other than bone-headed pride.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2013, 10:58:31 AM »
when Chuck & Wynona were getting into their canoe, all the unintentional double entendres were hilarious.  The wife and I had to pause the show to catch our breath from laughing.
Winger would be better!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »
when Chuck & Wynona were getting into their canoe, all the unintentional double entendres were hilarious.  The wife and I had to pause the show to catch our breath from laughing.

I recall laughing at the one about spreading her legs. :lol

I was so disappointed that generic couple A stayed in when they were so close to losing. Never underestimate another team's ability to suck!

I just do not care about a single team this season at all. Aside from the generic couple, I could not care less who gets eliminated each week, or who wins. They really need to step up their casting, because it's been steadily downhill for several seasons now.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »
Pam and Winnie majorly screwed themselves.  Also, Katie (with the doctorate) - it's no wonder in the first episode that they said they don't have many friends.  That chick is a major pain in the ass.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »
You know you're in trouble when you switch challenges TWICE. I can't recall ever seeing that done before. Even switching once is often a death wish.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »
I recall laughing at the one about spreading her legs. :lol

he also said something like "slide your hand farther up the pole and push harder".   :rollin  There were a couple more I think.
Winger would be better!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2013, 07:14:05 AM »
I'm actually kinda glad that Chuck and Wynona are gone.  She's useless.  Damn near all she did the entire time was whine and complain about how difficult this or that was, whine about having to run to get ahead, or whatever.  It got irritating really quickly.  I recognize the fact that they're the oldest team on the race and that some of it IS probably hard, but it was ALL THE TIME with her.  Have they NEVER actually WATCHED Amazing Race before?  It's a lot of work.

Plus I always got a little weirded out the way he would grip her chin when kissing her.  It just felt like a very "I'm in control" kinda move.  Just odd.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2013, 07:22:07 AM »
Yeah, that was always little creepy and forced. Even though she was dead weight, he was a bit of a dick to her all episode.

And I still couldn't care less who wins or loses this season (aside from generic couple A). The casting has really let down this season. Bunch of loser teams with no personality, or just plain annoying.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2013, 09:37:13 AM »
Wynona needed to be put out of her misery.
Winger would be better!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »
Every week, the continuous complaining was getting irritating.  How many times did we see Chuck running with BOTH of their packs?  Plenty.

Yeah, he was being a bit of a dick last night, but I don't know if she gets pissy because he's a dick or if he's a dick because she won't stop complaining.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2013, 09:41:45 AM »
Every week, the continuous complaining was getting irritating.  How many times did we see Chuck running with BOTH of their packs?  Plenty.

Yeah, he was being a bit of a dick last night, but I don't know if she gets pissy because he's a dick or if he's a dick because she won't stop complaining.

It's probably circular like that, and I don't think either of them are unjustified in the way they act, but they both acedt out a bit further than they needed to.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »
I'm sure the race brings the worst out in some couples.  They are under constant stress during the legs.  Chuck and Wynona seemed like very nice people otherwise - even if he did have to haul her into the boat like a fish, joke about tying the dog collar around her waist, and prod her up the hill like a cow.
Winger would be better!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2013, 06:08:05 AM »
Stupid hockey players had a perfect chance to U-Turn the generic couple, but they used it on a guaranteed loser team instead. What was the logic behind that?? And they came in second because of that lost opportunity. Could have had $10k each too. Idiots.

As usual, the generic couple is probably going to win it. Aside from them, I couldn't care less who wins. This season has been the worst season for teams of the ones I've personally seen.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2013, 08:59:21 AM »
I *really* thought that the hockey team would get a penalty for carrying the barrels, since the challenge was "Rollin' Whiskey".  I thought it had instructed them to roll the barrels.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2013, 06:46:55 AM »
YES!!!!!!! Generic couple A didn't win it! :victorydance:

I think there was some luck involved with the challenges. In the briefcase challenge, it just came down to where your particular guy was, since there wasn't all that much you could do to speed up the process other than run. The baseball challenge didn't seem to take too awful long, and the ball pit challenge came down to finding the balls more than getting them in order (although I suck at geography, so I'm not saying it would have been an easy challenge either way).

But not to take anything away from the hockey players. They did a great job in that final leg. The generic couple played just as well, they just had the worse luck in the briefcase part.