Author Topic: The Amazing Race thread  (Read 15536 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Amazing Race thread
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 08:06:39 AM »
For the most part I agree with you on the U-turn, although tonight I thought it was used very cleverly to take out a team, and I loved it.
A lot of the time teams don't use it unless they're really desperate though.

There were the nerdy dudes a few seasons ago who got eliminated because they lost their passports too, and I liked those guys. Luckily they came back in another season and got another shot.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:21 PM »
I have NO IDEA how Josh and Brent keep getting by.  They got MAJORLY lucky to have encountered such a field leveling equalizer, only to turn around and get lost again right away, once they started driving.  Anyway, Josh pulling off that tennis challenge with a fucked up ankle?  Pretty amazing.  Reminded me of last season, with Vanessa running on the treadmill with an even MORE fucked up ankle.  It hurt just watching her go through that, but she toughed it the fuck out and nailed it.  I don't think I was ever happier to see someone complete a roadblock.

I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Nadiya and Natalie weren't going home.  Brent and Josh will shoot themselves in the foot again next week and end up 4th.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »
Reminded me of last season, with Vanessa running on the treadmill with an even MORE fucked up ankle.  It hurt just watching her go through that, but she toughed it the fuck out and nailed it.  I don't think I was ever happier to see someone complete a roadblock.

no doubt.  She toughed that one out for sure.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 06:26:06 AM »
I have NO IDEA how Josh and Brent keep getting by.  They got MAJORLY lucky to have encountered such a field leveling equalizer, only to turn around and get lost again right away, once they started driving.  Anyway, Josh pulling off that tennis challenge with a fucked up ankle?  Pretty amazing.  Reminded me of last season, with Vanessa running on the treadmill with an even MORE fucked up ankle.  It hurt just watching her go through that, but she toughed it the fuck out and nailed it.  I don't think I was ever happier to see someone complete a roadblock.

I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Nadiya and Natalie weren't going home.  Brent and Josh will shoot themselves in the foot again next week and end up 4th.

I have no idea how Josh and Brent are still in it. They've been one of the worse teams, yet somehow have stayed in it far beyond their abilities. They'll surely be gone next week though. They're nowhere near as good as the other teams.

And I was so happy it was a non elimination round. I want Nadiya and Natalie to win it, if not then the Chippendale dudes. They're good guys who deserve it.

But if generic couple A wins, I'm going to rage.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 06:35:43 AM »
I'm sorry, but I damn near rage every time Natalie and Nadiya show up on the screen.  They just irritate the living shit out of me.  I think part of it is the CONSTANT blathering going on, no matter where they're at or what they're doing.  Constantly yelling or blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah the whole way through a Roadblock or Detour.

I'm with you on generic couple A.  GTFO.  I'm hoping for a J+J win.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 06:44:30 AM »
Well at least we'll both be happy with a Jaymes/James win.

But we'll have to agree to disagree on Nadiya and Natalie. I love them. They're always making hilarious calls, have great self awareness, and are a tough team.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012, 04:53:00 AM »
I wasn't too happy seeing the goat farmers win (they've been losers the whole way), but it wasn't the generic couple, so I'll take that as a consolation. And James/Jaymes won the cars, so that was great. :tup
It was sad to see the Indian chicks go at the final 4, but as usual they did it in style.

Hopefully next season has some good teams. I enjoyed keeping up with this one, guys!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 06:23:10 AM »
It was kinda WTF to see them lose horribly all fucking season, then get lucky enough to move ahead at the last second.  The ONLY reason they ended up winning was because of an equalizer a couple weeks ago that allowed them to catch up with other teams that were already 10 hours ahead of them.  The got majorly lucky.  I would've preferred to see Jaymes and James win, but whatever.  Glad they got the cars.

Indeed.  The only thing is that this show is a little more difficult to discuss than Survivor, where you get a lot more character development.  It's a much more interpersonal game than Amazing Race.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2012, 06:27:37 AM »
True. This is more like "I like team A. Challenge was bad." But at least it's something more to discuss. :lol

Just a couple more months until the next season though. :tup

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 10:11:28 AM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
Nothing that really sparks my interest, but I'll wait until there's something official before I judge. For me the whole show hinges on the teams.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 10:15:45 AM »
Indeed, and hopefully the teams will surprise me and be worth a damn.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
I'm really not that hard to please. Just give me a good bunch of cool minority teams to go for that I can easily summarize for discussion purposes, and a team or two of hot chicks who are kinda hard to tell apart at a glance but on closer inspection you realize that only one of them is hot, and the other one is kinda brutal, when when you take them as a package deal, it averages out to pretty good.

Like the redheads. There was the hot one that was in Playboy, and then there was the not so great one, but when you take them together, they still averaged out to a team of hot redheads. Good times.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »
:tup

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 09:46:17 AM »
Sunday, new premiere of Amazing Race.  Info on the cast and a new twist:

https://www.examiner.com/article/the-amazing-race-2013-season-22-cast-and-new-twist-revealed

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2013, 10:13:11 AM »
And The Amazing Race too? We're spoiled.

Can't say the teams looked all that exciting at this point. Why must they always include so damn many generic couples? Even after a whole season, I can never tell them apart.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
I know it, but there's good in that also.  You can, it would seem, more objectively find someone to cheer on, based on their merits.  As opposed to the fact that they're celebrities.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2013, 10:22:52 AM »
I just want some distinctive teams that are going to have some personality. When they're generic couple A/B/C, you know there's no chance of any personality there. They're just dead weight in team choices.
Every other team is always in with a chance of me rooting for them once I actually see the show. Plenty of potential there. But I love it when they have some out of the ordinary choices, like the stunt midgets, or the deaf guy and his mother. I don't like genericons. They haven't had great challenges lately, so at least choose some teams I want to win.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »
Yeah, challenges HAVE been fairly lame lately.  I remember seeing challenges that left people so physically drained that they almost couldn't finish them.  Then there was the one where they had to do a carnival style "hit the thing with a huge sledgehammer and ring the bell" kinda challenge to proceed.  Well, the last two teams on that leg were two guys and two scrawny chicks.  There was NO WAY the chicks would be able to muster the strength to hit the target hard enough to ring the bell.  That kinda wasn't cool.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »
One of my favourites was a literal needle in the haystack challenge, which I believe they did a couple of times.
I love the kind of challenge that can either take them 15 minutes with skill and a bit of luck, or could take them all day if they get frustrated and tired.

Now the challenges just feel like formalities to pad up time inbetween taxi rides. The result is more likely to come down to simply who got the shit taxi driver. If the challenges took a bit more time and skill, it would help minimize that issue, and also keep the players who have earned their way, instead of luck of the draw.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2013, 10:47:26 AM »
Oh, God yes.  Bad taxi drivers/unfamiliarity with reading a road map are the majrity of reasons teams lose anymore.  The speedbump the Beekman guys had to do last season?  Go here, get an ice cream cone, wait for the vendor to f*ck with you some, then eat it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2013, 10:49:26 AM »
That was barely a punishment at all, even taking into account the fact they initially went to the wrong ice cream vendor. :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2013, 06:13:14 PM »
Reminder - premiere just started!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
Ahh. Amazing Race.

How sweet the sound.

:hat

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 11:33:26 AM »
I was particularly turned off by what a bunch of losers we ended up with at the end of this episode.  Pathetic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2013, 11:34:51 AM »
Haven't been following this season, so I have little to add.  Just wanted to post and show my support for the forum race-ists.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
Fortunately, it JUST started on Sunday night, so there's still plenty of time to start following.  Same with Survivor, tonight is the 2nd episode.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 09:33:10 PM »
I forgot to reply to this thread after seeing the new episode!

I was particularly turned off by what a bunch of losers we ended up with at the end of this episode.  Pathetic.

Me too. What a bunch of sorry losers to basically give up on the first leg. I'm glad one of those loser teams was generic couple A, because that penalty is carrying over to next week. Good luck with that, idiots. I can tell you're real fighters.

Pissed off that generic couple B came first. Can't say there are any teams I particularly care about at this stage. But the challenges were an improvement. The sandcastle one was the kind of challenge I discussed earlier, that could take you 5 minutes, or 5 hours.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
Geez, what a bunch of loser teams they chose this time! There is not a single team that I particularly like, or want to win at this point.

In the very first episode we have a group of teams give up and take a 4 hour penalty on a challenge that involves making sandcastles. Smart move, especially when it ends up being no plane trip to equalize the field on the next leg. First episode, and they already have that many quitters.

Then this week we have the doctors so close to giving up on the water challenge before even attempting it, and the older guy wrecks his foot running to the finish.

I'm guessing that next week the father/son team is gone. They'll either attempt it and run last because of the injury, or they'll just have to pull out making for an obvious outcome.

At least the challenges have been continued to be good. Neither of those swimming challenges seemed like a much easier alternative, and I liked the stilts one.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2013, 06:20:16 AM »
As soon as the brothers suggested taking the penalty, I about shit.  I was seriously irritated.  Glad they stuck it out and did the challenge, even if they did come in last.  So yeah, challenges have been cool and I can't say I'd have fared any better in the underwater challenges.  This is where teamwork comes in handy.  If Mrs. C. and I were doing this, she swims like a fish, so she'd have had no problems with going down for the shells.  Like the one team did.  One went for shells while the other stayed on and opened them.

I was quite surprised that for such a serious injury as the dad had, that he was able to stay as composed as he did standing there on the mat.  Damn.  But yeah, they're probably gonna be out next week, it seems.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »
Are you going for anyone at this stage, Coz?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2013, 06:30:07 AM »
Not really, yet.  I actually was kinda rooting for the doctor brothers, but that clearly didn't work out.  David and Connor would've been another choice for me, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to come back from that injury.  So very possibly Chuck and Wynona would be a next choice for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2013, 06:31:49 AM »
I like Chuck just because of his epic mullet, so if I was going for anyone it would be them. They don't seem like the kind of team that will last very long though, tbh.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2013, 06:36:08 AM »
Kinda what I'm thinking.  Did you see when they were trying to get back on the boat, as his wife was trying to climb in, he basically grabbed her by the ass and pulled her up into the boat?  I was chuckling about it, because it came off looking really kinda odd.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 06:45:48 AM »
I must have missed that, although her run to the checkpoint was quite pitiful. :lol