Author Topic: Why do we need to register to vote?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Why do we need to register to vote?
« on: October 11, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
I don't understand the point of having this process of registering to become a voter. I don't understand why you can't just have your driver's license scanned upon entering the voting booth. Can someone please fill me in???

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
Re: Why do we need to register to vote?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
I guess to be affiliated with a specific party and  be involved in their nominating process.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »
I've been wondering this  myself. I'm like, so you want us to vote yet want us to register to vote?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:45:33 AM »
Why are people still voting in person and not via mail?

I registered so long ago I forgot the actual process. It isn't that hard, is it? I don't recall anything about party affiliation. If I am affiliated with a party, I wonder which one it is.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
In Germany you're registered with the city you live in, and thus every German citizen is registered for voting. You get a nice postcard in the mail telling you where to go and that's it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
If I can be put on record, notified, and get in trouble for not showing up for jury duty because I received my drivers license... I don't get why the system just can't have a condition for voting eligibility as well. On your 18th birthday it should automatically allow you to be eligible for voting, if you get a felony, the system denies you... It seems simple (I understand a lot would need to go into implementing that, but it's certainly doable) I don't get it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
I'm trying to register to vote through the mail...I hope it works out in time. I have no idea if I'm doing everything right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
I'm trying to register to vote through the mail...I hope it works out in time. I have no idea if I'm doing everything right.

I applied three times to register through the mail... I never received paperwork.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »
I think it would be way easier to just register in person, but I have no idea where to go. They don't teach you this stuff in school.  :-\

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »
I think it would be way easier to just register in person, but I have no idea where to go. They don't teach you this stuff in school.  :-\

My voter registration office is only open Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and only from 8-11am..... the fuck.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »
You register at the post office.  When you register for selective service, you can also register to vote (that's what I did, at least), the cards are right next to each other.

As for why, remember that up until recently with all of this rampant and wide scale voting fraud, having to present a picture ID was frowned upon in the voting process.  Not everybody has a driver's license.  More importantly, it was just easier to have people opt in for sercurity purposes than to allow anybody to just show up and vote.  While they could be prevented from repeat voting nowadays, that wasn't the case 15 years ago.  Without registration you could have voted in 20 different precincts and who would know. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »
On your 18th birthday it should automatically allow you to be eligible for voting, if you get a felony, the system denies you...

First part yes, second part no. For one, felons are still citizens of this country, secondly you want to give prisoners etc. the chance to affect the punishment of the very crime they're sitting for. Think weed for example.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »
On your 18th birthday it should automatically allow you to be eligible for voting, if you get a felony, the system denies you...

First part yes, second part no. For one, felons are still citizens of this country, secondly you want to give prisoners etc. the chance to affect the punishment of the very crime they're sitting for. Think weed for example.

I have strong feelings on this. I don't think a felon should lose their right to vote. Not just for Rumbo's reasoning; just because it is such a fundamental principle of our country. You lose a crapload of other rights (rightfully so), voting shouldn't be one of them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 01:25:46 PM »

I agree with you. I was just thinking along the lines of what would prevent you from voting in our current system. I couldn't agree with you more. I know a fella who started selling cocaine at 16. By the time he was 17 he had 3 cars and was paying his mothers mortgage. He had at any given time at least $30k in cash (usually much more). The police waited until his 18th birthday to arrest and prosecute him. He spent a year in jail and had to do like 750 hours of community service once out. He is 24 now and is a completely different person, but he is not allowed to vote. I think that's bullshit.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
Another possible benefit to registering to vote is so a polling place is adequately equipped to handle the number of people intending to vote that day.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Registering is just a form of organization.  It helps ensure you're voting in the right place, voting once, etc.  Scanning id's on the spot would be easier for voters prior to an election, but more chaotic at the polls.  There probably are better ways of going about it, maybe that is one of them, but change isn't so simple.  Remember every time you go about such a huge systematic change you have to inform and educate everyone.  It'll be a nightmare for a few elections and costs gobs of money.  Even if you know something better, you need to build a quality transition program for it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »
Looks like I spoke too soon! The paperwork just came in! I'm excited to finally vote!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »
I just went to the county courthouse and got registered in a few minutes.  My card telling me where to vote comes in the mail in a week or two.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »

Ahem....if I may.....I am registered to vote and an ex-felon.  In my state (MA) prisoners can vote by absentee ballot.  Being honest, I'm not sure I agree with allowing someone who is actually doing time to vote, but, I think once you have paid your debt to society and you have emerged from prison and are lawfully integrated back into society, you should be able to vote. 

As far as registering, you can register to vote in a lot of states online now.  It's really very easy, and as has been mentioned, it does help prevent fraud, although most of the hand-wringing about in-person voter fraud is really just coming from right-wingers who want to suppress minority voting.  There are practically no documented cases of in-person voter fraud reported, mainly because it's quite rare. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
In my state (MA) prisoners can vote by absentee ballot.  Being honest, I'm not sure I agree with allowing someone who is actually doing time to vote, but, I think once you have paid your debt to society and you have emerged from prison and are lawfully integrated back into society, you should be able to vote. 

In our state, not only do you have to have completed any prison term in order to have your voting rights 'restored,' I believe you need to pay off all your court-ordered fees and restitution as well.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 03:23:39 PM »
There was actually an article in this week's Dallas Observer (the liberal news rag) about voter fraud.  Like Kirk said, it's almost unheard of for people to cast fraudulent votes in person.  As for illegal aliens voting:

Quote from: Jim Schutze
Generally speaking, you don't pay a coyote two thousand bucks, swim the Rio Grande, walk five days in the desert, sleep with Gila monsters, spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder in Dallas and then risk all of that to go stand in some official government queue in a place bristling with posters and warnings and other reminders of your extreme vulnerability because some dude paid you 20 bucks to vote in an election in a country where you know you're not allowed to vote because it's not your country.

As it turns out, Dallas is rife with voter fraud.  I wasn't aware of this.  The Texas way to rig elections is to pay people to canvass neighborhoods and register people to vote.  The trick is that you only submit the registrations of people who'll vote for your party.  "So, you're a Romny woman, are you?  Goooood.  Well, have a nice day Mrs. Dingleberry."  Then you throw her registration card in the Trinity River.  You turn in 4000 registration cards for likely Obama voters, and when the Romney voters show up they're turned away because they were never registered.  Quite brilliant, actually. 

If you do that in the poor parts of town, where few will take the initiative to vote, and the ones that do will all vote democrat, you could actually turn a hugely democratic district red.

Here's the original article.  Jim Schutze has become my favorite local journalist.  Guy really has a hard-on to fuck with city hall. https://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2012/10/vote_fraud_a_little_bit_is_goo.php

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson