Poll

Well?

Jewel Case
33 (61.1%)
Digipak
21 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: CDs: Jewel Case vs. Digipak  (Read 9967 times)

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
CDs: Jewel Case vs. Digipak
« on: October 02, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »
This has been argued on a couple threads and I thought that it needed it's own thread.

The great debate on CD packaging: Jewel Case or Digipak?

I personally prefer digipaks, they have more of the "romance" and nostalgia of an LP. also, It's easier to reach the album notes. (Just a little bit)

If needs to be moved to General Discussion, than so be it, I just figured that it's music-related so this would be it's proper place.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: CDs: Jewel Case vs. Digipak
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »
Digipacks by far. They look so much better and are much easier to read while glancing at a shelf of CDs.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 12:30:47 PM »
Digipacks, the jewel cases are only nice if you need the uniformity.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »
Digipacks, to me, are just a vastly superior format.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »
Digipak, if they aren't too flimsy.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
Jewel cases. More durability and can be replaced if needed. I have a tendency to destroy digipak's and then I've lost the artwork. At least in jewel cases, its more protected.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »
I voted jewel case.  I hate digipacks with a passion.  It was not even a difficult decision that cause even a moment's thought.

But...as I've been thinking about wording a post with my reasons, I'm actually starting to somewhat change my mind.  My main objections are really:  (1) They are flimsy and more easily damaged, and (2) having to slide the CD in and out of sleeves damages the CD's far more than putting them in a CD tray in the jewel case.  However, most of the digipacks nowadays have a tray glued in rather than sleeves, so issue #2 really isn't an issue.  As long as we're talking about those kind of digipacks, I guess I've come around and like them better.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »
Digipaks/Digibooks, if done WELL. I like the InsideOut releases that are done with a book-like spin with the booklet stapled in them. They're all really well done and very nicely presented. Also, the Snapper re-releases of PT albums are great as well.

Jewel cases are okay, but half the time when I order an album in a jewel case from the internet, it comes with at LEAST one crack in the cover/case because of shipping damages. Not much I can do there except replace them, but that's a lot of trouble. Digipaks often come in great condition and look great on a shelf with a ton of other digipaks.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
Also, the Snapper re-releases of PT albums are great as well.
When it comes to non-deluxe edition CD's, this is the best medium to release them. Those digipacks are rock solid.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
Digipak/Digibooks are my favorites. With that said, it sucks if they are slightly damaged because you can't do anything about it, but jewel cases just seem kinda dull to me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »
If,only all Digipacks were made like Epicloud. A little slit in the mid slot so the booklet can fit snug.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
Jewel case, I hate digipaks.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
Where is the option for neither  I take all my CD's and store them in Binders

Keep in liner notes in the pocket behind the CD

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 01:15:45 PM »
I voted jewel case.  I hate digipacks with a passion.  It was not even a difficult decision that cause even a moment's thought.

But...as I've been thinking about wording a post with my reasons, I'm actually starting to somewhat change my mind.  My main objections are really:  (1) They are flimsy and more easily damaged, and (2) having to slide the CD in and out of sleeves damages the CD's far more than putting them in a CD tray in the jewel case.  However, most of the digipacks nowadays have a tray glued in rather than sleeves, so issue #2 really isn't an issue.  As long as we're talking about those kind of digipacks, I guess I've come around and like them better.

Yeah, good point, bosk, those other digipacks with the sleeves do indeed suck several miles of wombat ass.  I really like the newer format and I think I'm gonna manufacture the next The ANABASIS CD that way. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 01:17:54 PM »
I agree with bosk1.  The digipaks where the CDs are in the sleeves suck; it's like asking for the CD to easily get damaged at some point.  The ones with the trays are definitely much, much better.

But I still prefer jewel cases.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 01:19:36 PM »
I like the jewel case over the digipaks.  There is just some more uniform about a jewelcase.  And like others who have posted, digipaks seem so flimsy.  Though they have improved.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
Oh, and does anyone have the Tesla Reel-To-Real digipacks?  :lol  If you do, you know what I'm about to say.  Worst digipack design EVER!  They are neither the sleeve type nor the glue-in tray type.  Instead, they have a rubber spindle that the CD is supposed to snap onto.  ...except that the CD doesn't actually snap into it.  So you have a folder that the CD's constantly fall out of.  What a design mess that thing is!  :lolpalm:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
How about the 3rd disk for Rush Different Stages.  It falls out all the time.  I hated that digipak.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »

That is my only real issue with digipak. Digipaks are great when the tray is glued in!

Now that you mention it, I was putting Score in my car today and I thought just that.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
Jewel cases by far. Digipacks suck, especially when there's no plastic tray to put the CD in. I've moved three times in the last three years, and every time, the digipacks usually become casualties. Awful. At least the jewel cases are uniform and look nice on the shelf.

Though I wish all jewel cases were the kind K-Scope uses.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
I really hate digipaks with a passion.
They don't last, the glue fails, the cardboard fades, the corners turn.
No matter how hard you try to keep them looking good, you can't.
he only time I buy them when there is no other option.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 02:32:36 PM »
Digipacks range from really bad to only slightly bad. Jewel cases is a very easy decision here.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 04:45:42 PM »
They both have very serious, if very different, durability issues. If my CDs were never in a position to be smashed and worn around the edges, I'd easily go for digipaks. But overall, I may have to choose jewel cases.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »
This, but in the poll I accidentally voted for digipacks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »
If only you had the power to make it so people could change votes in polls. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
This, but in the poll I accidentally voted for digipacks.
It's your inner desire.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »
Jewel cases for the uniformity.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 06:58:24 PM »
Digipaks if done right, but that's a bit rare so I went jewel cases.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
If the digipack isn't too flimsy I'll like it.  Jewel cases are nice for the uniformity though. 

Now if every album was made into a digibook like the PT reissues were (my reissue copy of Recordings has a spine like a book, and the CD sits in a tray.  That would be the best. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 09:08:01 PM »
Great power, great responsibility, blah blah.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
Great power, great responsibility, blah blah.

As mods, can either of you change that? I tried to edit the poll, but I can't do it.

P.S. while you're here, would you mind updating the membergroup status for a few of us that have recently posted in the thread. Mr. Boom_shack-a-lack, WindMaster, Sketchy, and I are all DTF.org members. Could you please update our statuses? Thanks for all you guys do.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »
jewel case overall.  Some of the digipaks are pretty good, some are a pain.  Case in point, the Fates Warning reissues.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 11:56:02 PM »
Jewel case.  Yeah, I'm an uber fogey... :getoffmylawn:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »
Jewel cases. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 12:16:39 AM »
The biggest problem I have with digipacks is that IF they should somehow be damaged...you're just screwed.

My Counting Crows Live album is a 2 disc digipack.   BOTH of the spindles were broken when I got it.   If it had been a jewel case, I could just replace it.   But since the tray is glued to the artwork, there is absolutely *NOTHING* you can do.   I keep the CD's in separate jewel cases, and keep the empty digipack on the shelf next to them.   And it looks like *CRAP*.   

I like the way digipacks look.   But if an accident should somehow happen, there are no options, replacements, nada....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude