Author Topic: Elite's Roulette v. So Long and Thanks for All the Fish: THE END  (Read 33589 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Elite's Roulette - Round 9!
« Reply #315 on: December 03, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »
When can we expect the scores for the replacement songs?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Roulette - Round 9!
« Reply #316 on: December 03, 2012, 04:22:09 PM »
Now.

ROUND 9 REPLACEMENTS

Not everybody sent a replacement; in fact, only 4 of you did. If I happen to have missed your replacement, please let me know.

Participant: Xanthul
Artist/Song: No-Man - The Break-Up for Real

Well, this is Steven Wilson's solo band I have never had the time or taken the time for to check out. It sounds very much Steven Wilsony, and that's partly because of his voice. I really loved the tune, but I found it to be a bit too resembling of what he has done with Porcupine Tree. Nevertheless, as I've been a huge fan of them, I will check this band out further. I'm giving you 4 points plus an extra point for the band, making 5 points. Since you're replacing a current score of 2 points, you have just earned yourself 3 points extra.

---

Participant: kári
Artist/Song: Beach House - Wild

That was nice. The voice is very nice, 'soothing' or whatever, mainly because of the insane amount of echo and reverb that's been thrown on it. Despite the title, this song isn't wild at all. It's very chilled down, laid-back and relaxing. A very nice tune indeed. 3 points and considering you're replacing a score of only one, that means you've earned yourself 2 points.

---

Participant: Scorpion
Artist/Song: Luna Mortis - Embrace the End

Wow, this stuff is good. It's heavy as shit, but it has a female singer, who supposedly does all the growls as well. Some awesome melodic death metal. Back when I used to listen to this kind of stuff more often, I would have liked it even more I suppose. It was good, but it was a bit too show-off-ish in some places, despite being a killer tune. I would give this song 4 points, but since you're replacing this for round 7 and the length doesn't have  a 7 in it (I know, here we go again), I'm giving a 1 point reduction. No worried though, because that still means a free 3 points for having had the lowest score (0) in the whole roulette earlier.

---

Participant: Ravenheart
Artist/Song: Faith and the Muse - Annwyn, Beneath the Waves

I'm unsure what to think of this. On the one hand I think I really like this, but the production is very weird, a bit like My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless', only different. The drums are more accentuated and the voice sticks out more, but even that makes for unintelligible singing. It's quite compelling though, like most of the gothic-like stuff you've sent so far, but I'm not really a fan of the ambiguity of some of this stuff. 3 points, but since this is replacing an earlier 2, that means you'll only score 1 point for this song.

---

The rest is currently being ranked, as I slowly move through the playlist. Do not expect results before the end of the week though, I have a very busy one ahead..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
Re: Elite's Roulette - Round 9! (Replacement songs ranked)
« Reply #317 on: December 04, 2012, 01:08:43 AM »
New rankings so far:
Nekov: 34 points
kári: 30 + 2= 32 points
Zantera: 31 points
ReaperKK: 31 points
Xanthul: 26+3= 29 points
MoraWintersoul: 28 points
Ravenheart: 25+1= 26 points
Scorpion: 21+3= 24 points

;D

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #318 on: December 04, 2012, 01:34:30 AM »
Oh yeah this will be a comeback for the ages

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #319 on: December 04, 2012, 01:40:18 AM »
Thank kári, I didn't do that, because round 9 isn't over yet, but I can see why you'd like the standings here :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #320 on: December 04, 2012, 04:23:39 AM »
I know I know, I just wanted to make some stuff clear etc ;)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: December 04, 2012, 04:57:32 AM »
Nice!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2012, 05:29:20 AM »
Bumping this to let you know you haven't been forgotten. I have been listening to the tracks you sent me sporadically, but I've just been so busy the past few weeks that I couldn't have posted results earlier. I'm going to try and get it done before the end of next week, but it's going to be quite some work.

I WILL GET THERE
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: December 09, 2012, 05:37:15 AM »
GAWD WHY ARE YOU TAKING SO LONG WITH THIS DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD THIS IS AND WHAT WE PUT UP WITH

:heart

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: December 11, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »
I need results! I'm in withdrawal right now
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: December 12, 2012, 05:47:16 AM »
I keep checking to see there are results but I don't mind waiting. It's a lot of music. . .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #326 on: December 12, 2012, 05:49:34 AM »
And we think the normal rounds take a long time, this one shouldn't be done before Easter, but I have faith in Elite.  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #327 on: December 12, 2012, 05:53:27 AM »
This roulette will be finished before the end of the world 2012. I can assure that :)
I'm actually slowly shaping up the write-ups. Instead of doing it all at once, like I did with the previous rounds, I listen to a quarter of the songs first, rank them and then move on. et., it's getting there, but there's just nothing visible for you guys yet..
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #328 on: December 13, 2012, 07:11:24 AM »
You guys completely owned this last round. Awesome music throughout all of your submissionss.  :tup :metal
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #329 on: December 13, 2012, 07:17:52 AM »
Does that mean that results are incoming? :caffeine:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: December 13, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
Does that mean that results are incoming? :caffeine:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
DON'T LET US HANGING YOU EVIL PERSON

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #332 on: December 14, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »
Yes, they're near. Very near. I'm thinking of splitting the results in two posts, so I can throw the first batch out there already.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #333 on: December 14, 2012, 12:54:33 PM »
I think you know what I'll reply to that.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: December 14, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »
YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #335 on: December 14, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »
Half-Way update!

So, I'm just going to post about half the songs sent now and the rest will follow very soon, but I can assure you I listened to the songs even more than with the previous rounds. So, here's the first 14 songs, but I'm not saying who sent what just yet, partly because I'm not completely sure myself either (I threw everything in playlist to not be biased), partly because I don't want to reveal everything yet. Make that a fun game to guess it or whatever, do with it what you like. I got the following songs:

RESULTS

Artist/Song: Mew - Am I Wry? No
What a very cool song. It reminds me very much of My Bloody Valentine or what they would sound like if the ocals could be heard, or something. I found the first half to be a lot better than the second half of the song and that's mainly because of the outro that drags a bit. Overall though, this song is a very satisfying listen and I'll have to give it 7 points. Also, you're getting an extra point for the band, which won't count towards your round average.

Artist/Song: Blackmill ft. Veela - Let it Be
As if I had always been kept in the dark. How have I never heard this stuff before, always thinking electronic music was repetitive and not renewing? This song is amazing, it's got this ambient vibe with a little bit of dubstep interspersed and it was unlikely anything I had heard before. I really enjoyed this track and I definitely going to check out the rest of the album. 8 points

Artist/Song: Kyte - These Tales of Our Stay
I honestly had to look up whatever genre it was I was hearing and wikipedia isn't really revealing there either. Out of the genres listed, 'dream pop' comes closest to my perception of what I'm hearing. It's a slow moving song, heavily influenced by electronic music and ambient stuff, even a bit post-rock-ish. I did enjoy this, but it wasn't as good as some other similar stuff I have gotten in the overall roulette. 7 points

Artist/Song: Dissona - Nest
If there ever was a weird song, this would be it. This is complete madness and therefore it's amazing. It's a progresisve metal song of the weirdest kind and it incorporates a lot of elements from different music styles. I have no clue what it's supposed to be about, but that chorus is amazing, even though the lyrics seemingly don't make any sense. I'm going to check out the full album of this band, because it's bound to be good. 8 points

Artist/Song: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Up Jumped the Devil
That piano lick makes the song, you know which I mean if you know the song. The song is slow moving, almost dawdling, but it's groovy as fuck and it makes for a very awesome song, an experience almost from start to finish. I love how the singer increases the intensity of his voice with every verse as the song gets heavier gradually. Amazing stuff. 8 points

Artist/Song: Moon Safari - Heartland
Awesome progressive rock, that's it. Really, I could write an in-depth review about the song's structure and progression, but it's not really necessary, this song is just killer from front to back, with nothing major to complain about at all. It has all the ingredients to be a great song and the execution is almost flawless. 9 points

Artist/Song: Judas Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death
Wow, this song did almost nothing to me. The opening is cheesy and the guitar lead over that is horrendously bad. When the vocals kick in it gets slightly better and the chorus is actually pretty good, but I'm not a fan of that vocal style at all and going back to that bad verse is a chore after chorus, so luckily the song goes to a guitar solo after the second one, shich is actually pretty decent. I'm giving this 4 points; the chorus, but mainly the guitar solo at the end kind of saved the song, but I wouldn't listen to it again.

Artist/Song: Extreme - Midnight Express
This is some very relaxing stuff, with amazing acoustic guitar work. That guitarist is a beast, but he's not all for the show-off, because it's him that makes the song and he does it effortlessly, laying line after line, melody after melody while going all-out every once in a while. Awesome instrumental stuff, I really enjoyed that, 8 points.

Artist/Song: The Smashing Pumpkins - Thru the Eyes of Ruby
I knew exactly one Smashing Pumpkins song before hearing this one and I always wondered why the hell people would put the album this song came from in their top 50s, for the song I heard before I didn't find that special at all. I can see now why people would like them, because this is definitely different from other stuff, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I think it's his voice, mainly. 5 points

Artist/Song: Incubus - Redefine
I had heard of the band before, but never knew they made this kind of alternative metal. I enjoyed this song and it has quite some inventive stuff thrown in, with expeditions to funk-metal-ish stuff and the scratching is the chorus, which is the best part of the song hands now. Nice stuff, but nothing overwhelmingly brilliant. 6 points

Artist/Song: Cradle of Filth - The Forest Whispers My Name
Another band I had heard of but never bothered to check out, mainly because of their name and their reputation within the music scene. I just never thought it would be my thing in any way. Well, that does actually turn out to be the case, but it's not as black & white as that. I'm not a fan of the vocals; they're too extreme for me, especially when they're just wordless screams, like there are in this song. The music however I think is very good and considering this was a song on their first album, I may like to check out some later albums if they're any better. For now, I'm giving this one 6 points.

Artist/Song: Aghora - Anugraha
The award for strangest band name and song combination easily goes to this one. I don't even know what it means, but as the song doesn't really have lyrics (I don't count wordless wailing as lyrics) I suppose it doesn't really matter. This song is pretty rhythmic, enforced by the drums at all times, over which strange bass-guitar, guitar and sitar patterns are played, with a woman singing wordlessly over them (think Great Gig in the Sky, only the woman there is much better). What makes this song good is the music over which she sings. Although pretty much the whole song is in 4/4 meter, it sounds like you're listening to something infinitely more complex and a quick listen to all the instrumental layers and harmonies soon learns that the underlying structure is indeed pretty difficult to grasp. I have yet to listen to more of their stuff, but i will do this, it'll be interesting to see what the rest of it sounds like. 8 points

Artist/Song: Mew - Comforting Sounds
The second Mew song I received is much longer than the first and where I didn't like the extension of 'Am I Wry? No', here the band takes a completely different approach in the overall songwriting, starting off much slower and with less intensity. The song is constructed like a post-rock song would be, gradually building up to end in a massive and amazing wall of sound. I liked this one better than the other Mew song, but cnsidering they're on the same album anyway, I'm going to hear both more often, because I will be checking them out. 8 points and like with the other one, an extra point for the band.

Artist/Song: Lunatic Soul - Wanderings
So, I just looked up this band and found out it's actually a solo project by Mariusz Duda, the bassist/singer from Riverside, a band I love. Knowing that now makes me feel kind of stupid that I didn't recognise his voice, but ah well. The song starts off with a recurring keyboard motif, that keeps on going throughout the whole song, while the intensity and instruments used increases with every minute. The best part of the sng is the singer, who's powerful on this track, but the underlying music sets the stage really well for this song. Not what I would have expected from the Riverside man (yes, it's really different), but a good track nonetheless. 7 points

----

More soon!
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Elite's Roulette - Round 9 RESULTS (1st half)
« Reply #336 on: December 14, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »
It wasn't my song, but that Judas Priest song was one of the highlights of their show when I saw them. Different strokes :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: December 14, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
Given the scores I had so far I should have gone with the highest contract  :biggrin:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: December 14, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »
Which contract did I go with again?

EDIT: Milena, you saw Judas Priest play BtRoD live? I'm fucking jealous, I love that song!
EDIT2: Just remembered my contract, I'm fucked. :lol
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:46:50 PM by Scorpion »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #339 on: December 14, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
Yeah, the scores so far are quite high :P
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #340 on: December 14, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
EDIT: Milena, you saw Judas Priest play BtRoD live? I'm fucking jealous, I love that song!
No need to be jealous, that's one of my grand total of three major concerts so far ;D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: December 14, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »
I used most of my secret weapons in this round, I'm not sure what I'll send if I get to the last one  :-\

When do we get the second part of the results? :caffeine:

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: December 14, 2012, 06:10:53 PM »
Yes I knew I could get people to like dubstep, one person at a time!

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #343 on: December 15, 2012, 06:42:57 AM »
Cool. :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: December 17, 2012, 05:33:23 AM »
When will you have the second batch up?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #345 on: December 17, 2012, 05:56:12 AM »
Most likely next Saturday. I only have time for this stuff in the evening and I'm very busy the coming week with something every evening.. Let's hope the world hasn't ended then. Deal? :)
Squ

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #346 on: December 17, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »
Fine.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: December 17, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
Is this is going to be the last round?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #348 on: December 18, 2012, 02:18:03 AM »
I think there'll be like a final round for the top 3 or something.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #349 on: December 18, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »
That's right :)
Squ